Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

A friend of the family is a screw and he tells horror stories about his experience of prisons that are partly staffed privately. I think they get bonuses (or avoid penalties) by reducing contraband, so they just don't search for it properly. They lower violence rates by locking the prisoners in their cells all day, and if something does kick off in the landings they withdraw all the private staff and leave the convicts to it - I think to avoid injury and the resulting comp claims.

The private sector! :v:

Now what do you suppose would be the easiest way to reduce the number of released convicts who go on to reoffend?

If you answered "lock them up forever", you lose five points; the actual answer is rise of the judges :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Tonight was the PLP meeting on Trident. Corbyn did not attend (again). Emily Thornberry led instead. The reaction was not exactly good:

https://twitter.com/MadeleineMoon/status/696769024584241152
https://twitter.com/elashton/status/696770184909099009
https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/696767030847004672
https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/696767969821597696
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/696768872662360064
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/696767685707829248

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

It's almost like these people don't think about the words that they say before they say them....

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What evidence do we have of corruption in the academy/free school system? It seems ripe for it, but I'd like specifics.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Darth Walrus posted:

What evidence do we have of corruption in the academy/free school system? It seems ripe for it, but I'd like specifics.

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2014/01/just-how-corrupt-does-a-free-school-have-to-be-to-be-seen-as-unacceptable

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/01/free-schools-will-invite-corruption-unless-we-fix-them-now

Basically when you form a free school they give you the school building. The issue with that is that it is then yours. You do not need to employ qualified staff, and don't have to follow the national curriculum.

You have a lot of public money to dispose of, no scrutiny, so you just hire your mates without interview.

I posted the example of the Conservative PCC a few pages back who was being lauded by Theresa May for setting up a school for children on the cusp of crime, or who wanted to work in the police. He took the police HQ building and converted it to a free school, run by a company that he is chairman of. The police have had to build a new HQ at a significant cost to the public.

Basically a couple of billion pounds of public money has gone straight to Tories all over the country.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2014/01/just-how-corrupt-does-a-free-school-have-to-be-to-be-seen-as-unacceptable

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/01/free-schools-will-invite-corruption-unless-we-fix-them-now

Basically when you form a free school they give you the school building. The issue with that is that it is then yours. You do not need to employ qualified staff, and don't have to follow the national curriculum.

You have a lot of public money to dispose of, no scrutiny, so you just hire your mates without interview.

I posted the example of the Conservative PCC a few pages back who was being lauded by Theresa May for setting up a school for children on the cusp of crime, or who wanted to work in the police. He took the police HQ building and converted it to a free school, run by a company that he is chairman of. The police have had to build a new HQ at a significant cost to the public.

Basically a couple of billion pounds of public money has gone straight to Tories all over the country.

I ask because of this bit from the BBC article on proposed prison reforms, which has triggered a quiet internal scream that will not cease:

quote:

The governors of Young Offenders Institutions will be given the same freedoms the head teachers of free schools have in an attempt to improve conditions

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Darth Walrus posted:

I ask because of this bit from the BBC article on proposed prison reforms, which has triggered a quiet internal scream that will not cease:

quote:

The prime minister said governors would have control over the way they run their prisons. This would include "total discretion" on budgets, and the ability to opt out of some of the thousands of pages of rules and regulations set in Whitehall.
arrrggggghh1

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

It's almost like these people don't think about the words that they say before they say them....

Yeah but the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke!

I'll let you know when I've found one

haakman
May 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Google Rachel de Souza. You're welcome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Thundercloud posted:

do you have a link for this that isn't a guardian comment?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You know that part of the Shawshank Redemption where the corrupt prison warden makes shitloads of money by bidding for work and undercutting all the other companies due to his completely unpaid workforce unless they bribed him?

Welcome to our new prison system I guess.

haakman posted:

Google Rachel de Souza. You're welcome.

Interesting point: when you do Google this you'll see 'Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more' at the bottom of the search page: this means someone has appealed to Google under the European right to be forgotten to get certain results removed from their search engine.... I wonder what they would have said?

vvvv Huh you're right, never noticed it before!

namesake fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 8, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think it just throws that up under any search that looks like a person's name.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Does anyone in here know how Fluo died?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

Cameron isn't going to allow one side of the debate to monopolise the stoking of Little Englanders' paranoia and racism to get what you want.

50k extra refugees?

... sounds good. Vote leave I guess?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Darth Walrus posted:

The fact that school inspections stop when the academy chooses is, uh, unethical at best. (They stop after they get "Outstanding", never to be checked again)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/08/george-osbornes-brother-admits-having-sex-with-vulnerable-patient-in-his-care

quote:

George Osborne’s brother is back before the General Medical Council after he admitted having sex with a vulnerable patient who had been under his care, a disciplinary panel has heard.

I guess loving the vulnerable runs in the family

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

corn in the fridge posted:

Does anyone in here know how Fluo died?
Serotonin knows more about it than most of us. Apparently he was in ill health for the past while.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758308&userid=24506&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ahahahaha Jesus Christ, We're going to have a full Abu Ghraib within a month and it's going to be all legal.

Edit: and of course I'm sure we'll be getting some very cushy prisons for the upper classes who get caught.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 8, 2016

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So the junior doctor strike looked like it was going to be over until someone disagreed

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Frankly, I couldn't give a gently caress what Osborne's brother is doing.

Well, I could, he should be prosecuted to the fullest for it, but who his brother is shouldn't make any difference to what happens.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It seems increasingly probable that this is now an out and out attempt to stick the final nails into the NHS. Every rota that comes out has more and more gaps as people resign their posts.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I can't see how the Conservatives get re-elected if they actually kill the NHS. You could set fire to the queen and at least some people would be cheering.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It seems increasingly probable that this is now an out and out attempt to stick the final nails into the NHS. Every rota that comes out has more and more gaps as people resign their posts.

The writing has been on the wall about this right from the beginning, to be honest. I'm surprised it's taken you this long to figure it out. This is absolutely a core part of Hunt's concerted attempt to starve, denigrate, and sell off the NHS.

e:

Fans posted:

I can't see how the Conservatives get re-elected if they actually kill the NHS. You could set fire to the queen and at least some people would be cheering.

Easy - they make them the bad guy.

It's all in the spin, almost no-one, relatively speaking, will question the reporting line of 'the NHS is overspending, over budget, inefficient and wasting YOUR MONEY on IMMIGRANT DOCTORS.

Despite is being just that - spin. The NHS gets it money from the Government, if it doesn't have enough money to operate that is solely and only because the Government is not supplying it enough money to operate.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 8, 2016

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

thespaceinvader posted:

The writing has been on the wall about this right from the beginning, to be honest. I'm surprised it's taken you this long to figure it out. This is absolutely a core part of Hunt's concerted attempt to starve, denigrate, and sell off the NHS.

No its been clear from the outside that this is about slowly starving it but this move is far more brazen and obvious.

I was planning to move back in with the parents next year anyway to try and save up for a deposit so I'm prepared to refuse to take up my post in August if the BMA makes a deal with the RCoA

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

No its been clear from the outside that this is about slowly starving it but this move is far more brazen and obvious

What did you think initially, when the Junior Doctors first started threatening to strike because they were getting a lovely new contract imposed on them by an arsehole?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Fans posted:

I'm pretty pessimistic, it's been obvious they've been not-so-slowly murdering the NHS for years and they still won the election. Unless they pass the Total Immediate Scrappage of the NHS Act (2016), I think it's entirely plausible that a lot of people simply won't make the infinitesimally short hop to blaming its collapse on the people in charge of running it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps this is the sort of thing where labour should have everyone on message screaming the house down about this bullshit.

Can't we get tom watson to call jeremy hunt a prick in parliament?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

XMNN posted:

I'm pretty pessimistic, it's been obvious they've been not-so-slowly murdering the NHS for years and they still won the election. Unless they pass the Total Immediate Scrappage of the NHS Act (2016), I think it's entirely plausible that a lot of people simply won't make the infinitesimally short hop to blaming its collapse on the people in charge of running it.

The other option is the classic standby of 'LABOUR DID IT FIRST' which seems to be their constant mantra right now.

Sweeping privatisation? LABOUR DUN PFIs

Economic crash impending? BROWN CRASHED FIRST.

Etc.

I'm halfway starting to feel that Labour's worst failing at the moment is its historical association with New Labour.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I hope they carry on with their Labour-did-it-first approach, because it's easily their least effective. The Tory-led campaign to paint Corbyn as a dangerous radical dragging Labour back to the 80s has totally insulated him from New Labour's sins, and I don't think even the most casual or biased observer could see Corbyn cosying up to big business.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ahahahaha Jesus Christ, We're going to have a full Abu Ghraib within a month and it's going to be all legal.

Edit: and of course I'm sure we'll be getting some very cushy prisons for the upper classes who get caught.

Yarl's Wood already exists, though?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm halfway starting to feel that Labour's worst failing at the moment is its historical association with New Labour.

Clearly they need to relaunch as Labour Classic

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Yarl's Wood already exists, though?
Many, many years ago I did some work as a blacksmith and put some security screens up at North Sea Camp, which is the open prison where Lord Archer was incarcerated. Apart from the bars on the windows, it was basically a bunch of fairly nice bungalows.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't see how "Labour did it first" could be successful. Essentially they're saying "we know it was the wrong thing to do and we're doing it anyway".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Helen Highwater posted:

Many, many years ago I did some work as a blacksmith and put some security screens up at North Sea Camp, which is the open prison where Lord Archer was incarcerated. Apart from the bars on the windows, it was basically a bunch of fairly nice bungalows.
Yeah, but he was still being punished through the loss of his essential liberties like being able to vote. :downs:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Jose posted:

do you have a link for this that isn't a guardian comment?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Simmonds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-24940653

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/school-is-preferred-option-to-replace-northampton-s-police-headquarters-1-5920206

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Fans posted:

It's death by inches. Loads of stuff that the NHS used to do is now 'opened up' to a process of contract bidding, and private companies like Virgin Health are now running huge swathes of services. Meanwhile the actual NHS is forced to waste money unsuccessfully bidding for contracts on stuff it used to do perfectly well.

With over a third of contracts to run health services now going to private companies, the intended end result is for the NHS to simply become a brand name used by various highly profitable businesses, and for the public not to notice.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thespaceinvader posted:

What did you think initially, when the Junior Doctors first started threatening to strike because they were getting a lovely new contract imposed on them by an arsehole?

That it was just another one of the thousand cuts, rather than a bullet in the head.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Dabir posted:

I don't see how "Labour did it first" could be successful. Essentially they're saying "we know it was the wrong thing to do and we're doing it anyway".
It's part of a two-pronged attack. "Labour did it first" is designed to counter the perception of Labour as an alternative in areas where the public see the Tories as bad (bankers bonuses, corporate tax evasion, privatisation) and "Labour are a threat to our security" is there to lock down areas where they're seen as good (the economy, the armed forces).

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Dabir posted:

These things are usually painted as regrettable but necessary. Tough decisions. There's no money left. Spending isn't sustainable. Militant marxist doctors have tied our hands. If only they had accepted the new contract the NHS could have been saved. It's the only way to ensure the best care for patients.

In that context pointing out that (even) Labour did similar things is a way to show that privatising the NHS is the inevitable, sensible, mature, grown up choice.

It helps them that there's a wing of the Labour party that continues to loudly and publicly agree with them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMs3Q3_aowk
(Christ, what a car crash interview at the end. "What does the word privatisation mean to the Labour party?" *something about privatisation being red tape* :psyboom:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
naughty naughty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZKn3qXKAc

• Locked thread