Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

The realization that this is how these puzzles work is a great moment and you should spoiler that poo poo.

Sorry

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So regarding the mystery bear on Idle Thumbs: where the hell does one get one of those? I don't think anyone mentioned that and I kind of want to set one up for a coworker as a prank.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

EC posted:

On the subject of podcasts, I tried listening to Polygon's new one, CoolGames, Inc. Despite enjoying most of Griffin's stuff I couldn't finish the episode. Anyone else listen to it?

I read the description, concluded it was MBMBaM without any of the brothers and with a fake game design theme and didn't bother because I'm already fed up with MBMBaM.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Actually I'm going to walk back my last post because The Witness is really good and even separate from the puzzles it's a game I very much enjoy because it feels like a Walking Simulator with fun interaction. Like opening a door or triggering some machinery to move is just fun, and exploring is very pleasurable.

When I first started I was playing Everybody's Gone to the Rapture at the same time and the fun to be had just exploring the space is like night and day. I mean I enjoy Rapture but the act of walking around and occasionally hitting X to open a gate is entirely eclipsed by comparable experiences in The Witness, and to that end I'd recommend it to anyone who likes that sort of thing - even if they plan on using a guide when the going gets tough (and it will.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

If you folks can't get enough puzzles you should check out http://www.puzzledpint.com and see if it's available in your area. There's a vague podgames tie-in because I think Kevin from Video Games Hot Dog hosts the San Francisco one sometimes.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

If you folks can't get enough puzzles you should check out http://www.puzzledpint.com and see if it's available in your area. There's a vague podgames tie-in because I think Kevin from Video Games Hot Dog hosts the San Francisco one sometimes.

He always runs it. There was only a South Bay one before he started doing an instance in the city. And yes, come to it, it's fun!

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Chekov's Birthday Bear on the latest Idle Thumbs episode went as perfect as I would have wanted.

END ME SCOOB posted:

So regarding the mystery bear on Idle Thumbs: where the hell does one get one of those? I don't think anyone mentioned that and I kind of want to set one up for a coworker as a prank.

Think it was bought from here
http://annoyingteddy.com/

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 6, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Thank you.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If you want more Austin Walker in your life, he is on Three Moves Ahead this week, talking about cyberpunks and stuff https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/satellite-reign

BanhMi
May 11, 2015
i wanted to make a timely bain-tard post but my wbc count wasn't cleared for posting yet

BanhMi
May 11, 2015
how do you get cancer and become more of an internet retard lol

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That's nice dear

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just a heads up because I didn't realise this but firewatch is out tomorrow (tuesday).

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

BanhMi posted:

how do you get cancer and become more of an internet retard lol

welcome to a week ago loser

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else listen to Match 3? I'm seriously thinking about dropping that one, I can't say I like any of the hosts at all.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Really digging this Uzimaki/Shadow over Innsmouth episode the bonfireboix released yesterday. Recommended even if you haven't read them or aren't big on Bloodborne.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/uzumaki-innsmouth

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

SpannerX posted:

Does anyone else listen to Match 3? I'm seriously thinking about dropping that one, I can't say I like any of the hosts at all.

I keep giving it a shot when someone describes an episode's contents in a way that catches my ear, and I've never finished one. It feels like a show made for the hosts and their close friends and doesn't really gel with me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SpannerX posted:

Isn't this the patrick klepeck podcast? I don't really think he's a good host. And I'm always bored while reading episode descriptions or what games they talk about.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Isn't this the patrick klepeck podcast? I don't really think he's a good host. And I'm always bored while reading episode descriptions or what games they talk about.

Yes, yes it is. And if anything he has become worse since leaving GB. Oh well. I think I'll can it. Last ep. they spent a good chunk of it talking about Rhianna. Seriously?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

SpannerX posted:

I do, for now. Pop music chat doesn't help. Neither does chronic complaints of exasperation. Idle Weekend touches similar show topics but does a better job on all counts.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Regardless of what one thinks of the Witness puzzles, playing it with a walkthrough in hand is an absolutely terrible idea. I'm not exaggerating that you might as well not play the game at all if you are going to do that.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

So It Goes posted:

Regardless of what one thinks of the Witness puzzles, playing it with a walkthrough in hand is an absolutely terrible idea. I'm not exaggerating that you might as well not play the game at all if you are going to do that.

Please tell me this is just a general statement you're making because a lot of podcasts are talking about the Witness, and not something an actual professional or even amateur video game critic is doing.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I assume it was in response to me, since I mentioned on the last page that I'll probably play through it with a walkthrough handy to look up solutions if I get frustrated. I'm glad some people have a lot of patience for puzzles but for me there comes a point where I've tried and failed to solve one long enough that looking up the solution and reverse engineering how I was supposed to get to it is more fun than continuing to beat my head against it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't played it in a week, but I couldn't figure out what the gimmick was for the desert biome. I looked at the subreddit, saw some sort of solution guide and used the first page of the walk through to clue me into the gimmick, then I did the remainder of the puzzles in that area without any external help.

The game is beautiful and Jon Blow is a blowhard, but I'm having my fun with it.

MoominBiscuit
May 8, 2009

WoOooOOOOOoo!

So It Goes posted:

I did exactly that (gently caress those sound based puzzles, I used a guide for every single one) and enjoyed the game immensely, play games however you want.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Unless if it's a team based competitive game with ranked and unranked queuing.

MoominBiscuit
May 8, 2009

WoOooOOOOOoo!

Phone posted:

Unless if it's a team based competitive game with ranked and unranked queuing.
Play games however you want!*

*as long as it doesn't directly and negatively effect someone else's enjoyment of a game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Phone posted:

I haven't played it in a week, but I couldn't figure out what the gimmick was for the desert biome.

I had the same problem. I assumed I'd just need to learn the rules somewhere else on the island, but nope. I ended up skimming an LP just to get the knowledge that the solution is (I'm putting this very mildly but spoilering anyway) environmental in nature -- IE, everything I needed to solve it was somewhere close by and even without the ACTUAL solution I went back there and figured it out within like 5 minutes. That's really my only complaint with the puzzle design, in that it's not clear at all if an puzzle being unsolvable is not knowing the rules intrinsic to that type of puzzle or just something you haven't noticed in the world. It's a hard balance to strike, though. Sometimes when you figure it out you feel like a total genius, other times it just feels arbitrary.

More on topic, if I listen to this abject suffering backwards at double speed with some specific filters in place, how many clues are there for frog fractions 2? I'm only listening to it now so apologies if this joke is already beaten to death by the end of the episode.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 9, 2016

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I do, for now. Pop music chat doesn't help. Neither does chronic complaints of exasperation. Idle Weekend touches similar show topics but does a better job on all counts.

"Oh my God, you like Lorde, she writes like a teenager. I wrote like her when I was that age, blah blah blah.". Then continue to hammer the fact on twitter, so edgy. Blogger of the year.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SpannerX posted:

"Oh my God, you like Lorde, she writes like a teenager. I wrote like her when I was that age, blah blah blah.". Then continue to hammer the fact on twitter, so edgy. Blogger of the year.

That's funny since Patrick Klepek still writes like a teenager

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm a big fan of Gyo and Amigara Fault, but somehow kept writing Uzamaki off as "that thing by the Gyo dude that's not as cool." I went and ordered the big hardcover compilation about halfway through the bonfire episode.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

NmareBfly posted:

I had the same problem. I assumed I'd just need to learn the rules somewhere else on the island, but nope. I ended up skimming an LP just to get the knowledge that the solution is (I'm putting this very mildly but spoilering anyway) environmental in nature -- IE, everything I needed to solve it was somewhere close by and even without the ACTUAL solution I went back there and figured it out within like 5 minutes. That's really my only complaint with the puzzle design, in that it's not clear at all if an puzzle being unsolvable is not knowing the rules intrinsic to that type of puzzle or just something you haven't noticed in the world. It's a hard balance to strike, though. Sometimes when you figure it out you feel like a total genius, other times it just feels arbitrary.

i like the witness except for the philosophy bullshit but it was dumb to kinda let you wander because their is a natural progression from some puzzle groups to others and you can leap frog them pretty easily and it's incredibly frustrating.

plus some of the symbols and stuff don't really make a lot of sense and there's a bunch of trial and error involved in figuring out the rules.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's so weird listening to people's experience with the Witness and how they progressed. To me, each area was segmented, and taught you one core mechanic. Then it built on that to the point that you have to look at every single aspect of it to understand how to solve the later ones in that area. Sometimes it would be combined with the two super easy things it teaches you directly outside the starting area, but that's it.

There's only two areas on the island that start combining all of that stuff, and one is the end game and the other is totally optional and just unlocks more super hard puzzles to solve.

I've only looked up solutions to two puzzles, and they were both the dumb stupid awful jungle puzzles. I hated them for some reason. The Duckfeed slack had a good group of people giving out vague hints when asked, though, so I can see having a walk through on hand when you're playing the game.

The Witness is going to turn into the Destiny of podcasts/forums, isn't it? Just endless people that won't shut up about it, regardless if they live it or hate it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm a big fan of Gyo and Amigara Fault, but somehow kept writing Uzamaki off as "that thing by the Gyo dude that's not as cool." I went and ordered the big hardcover compilation about halfway through the bonfire episode.

Uzumaki is way loving better than Gyo, Gyo is probably my least liked Junji Ito work

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

EC posted:

The Witness is going to turn into the Destiny of podcasts/forums, isn't it? Just endless people that won't shut up about it, regardless if they live it or hate it.

I doubt it. We're two weeks out from release, as more people finish it/decide to give up that's gonna drop off drastically, but like all games, directly after release is when the most buzz exists.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

So It Goes posted:

I dunno, i had more fun when I started playing with a guide readily available.

HMS Boromir posted:

reverse engineering how I was supposed to get to it is more fun than continuing to beat my head against it.

Nailed it. My free time is limited enough that trying to pain my way through these obtuse puzzles is a headache but understanding how to solve them because you have a solution available is still quality.

I'm not getting my £30 back now so might as well go all in.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I just hate the way a lot of games podcasts are dancing around The Witness for fear of spoiling. Either do some kind of spoilercast or mention the game in passing. I can't take another thirty minute segment that's just:

"Oh, did you do... the thing? In the jungle?"
"Heh, yeah... I did the thing. I solved the puzzle."
"Ah, I meant the other thing. The other puzzle."
"Oh yeah, where you have to... yeah... the cave... puzzle."
"That's the one. So clever."
"It reminds me of that... other puzzle... where you have to do the thing? You know."
"I know."

It's utterly maddening to listen to, whether you've played the game or not.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm looking forward to the Retronauts episode about The Witness in 20 years.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm looking forward to the Retronauts episode about The Witness in 20 years.

I'm not going to lie, there have been times I found myself thinking this exact thing about a game/series before going "Wait, gently caress, that's still pretty recent". Although I'm not entirely certain we were ever going to get a Darius episode anyway, much less get to the weird and wonderful saga of Dariusburst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cat Machine posted:

I just hate the way a lot of games podcasts are dancing around The Witness for fear of spoiling. Either do some kind of spoilercast or mention the game in passing. I can't take another thirty minute segment that's just:

"Oh, did you do... the thing? In the jungle?"
"Heh, yeah... I did the thing. I solved the puzzle."
"Ah, I meant the other thing. The other puzzle."
"Oh yeah, where you have to... yeah... the cave... puzzle."
"That's the one. So clever."
"It reminds me of that... other puzzle... where you have to do the thing? You know."
"I know."

It's utterly maddening to listen to, whether you've played the game or not.

This seems like a good time to do some shameless self-promotion. I joined up as a permanent co-host on the Dark Insight podcast, and on my first episode we spend about 45 minutes talking about the Witness. I specifically tried to avoid doing the thing you're talking about, because it sort of annoys me when listening to other podcasts. The episode is here (this page also has links to other places to find it): https://soundcloud.com/dark-insight-podcast/dark-insight-ep-13-welcome-to-the-fold-mr

If any of y'all listen, I'd love some notes. My only podcast experience is from guesting on Bonfireside Chat and some other Souls-related podcasts, so talking about games in general is new to me.

• Locked thread