Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

just popping in again to say that they've guys have stayed long enough toooo beeeee coooooooooooooool *leaves like a normal citizen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
This is the David Fry deathwatch thread.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm actually somewhat surprised the four holdouts persevered through the Super Bowl. I half-expected they'd either give up before then, or attempt to follow the game somehow and leave themselves vulnerable to capture while it was underway.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody else playing Xcom 2? I laughed like a maniac when one of the civilians got blasted into a tarp in the resistance camp map

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

DrManiac posted:

Anybody else playing Xcom 2? I laughed like a maniac when one of the civilians got blasted into a tarp in the resistance camp map

same lol

Also playing Rainbow 6 which no poo poo has a map where you breach an american militia camp called "Oregon"

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Casimir Radon posted:

Fry is getting video out again. The FBI told them if they keep "fortifying" their camp it will just result in more charges. And of course because Fry is hosed in the head he responded about as badly as when he got pulled over for his taillight being out, badly. It's pretty clear that they've really trashed the place. I suspect someone is sneaking them supplies or else they wouldn't still be hanging on this long. Fry stuck a sticker or a magnet on one of the government vehicles claiming that it now belonged to the "Harney County Resource Center", then he drove a truck in a brave show of just how little he cares. Somebody in the comments compared him to Timothy Treadwell, which is apt except Treadwell wasn't nearly as misguided or stupid as Fry.

"The FBI told us it's illegal for us to resist arrest. gently caress you, FBI! Maybe I'll do some donuts in this car, but I won't because that's scary and I don't know how."

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

I'd like you all to meet my new friend. His name is Special Agent Othello Mewling working cyber crimes out of the Portland field office. He says hes going to pounce on this Fry person just after he finishes his snacks.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Casimir Radon posted:

It begs the question of how Fry is suddenly getting videos out again. I'm all for more idiots getting charged with conspiracy.

it's a new month, so his data probably reset

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Airborne Viking posted:

it's a new month, so his data probably reset
I would find it very funny if law enforcement didn't actually shut their phones down and they just ran out of data. However, I think it's more likely they found someone else's phone after rummaging through the stuff everyone left behind.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it could be the fbi phone

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/post_5.html posted:

David Fry, 27, of Blanchester, Ohio, said in an Internet radio program interview taped and broadcast Wednesday that the occupiers were told that service to their personal cells would be disrupted.

"One of the FBI guys put a cellphone, one of the FBI cellphones, in a car up here that I picked up," Fry said. "They're going to cut off all our personal cellphones soon."

The cellphone to one of the other occupiers, Sean Anderson, 48, of Riggins, Idaho, answered with a message Wednesday that the caller was not accepting calls.

Law enforcement officials at the command post set up for the refuge occupation would not speak to Fry's claims.

they probably realised they were going to run out of that sweet self-incriminating video footage and spent ages coming up with plans before remembering the potatriots are stupid enough to pick up a random cellphone and carry on recording where they left off

XMNN has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Feb 8, 2016

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ammon Bundy is now asking his elected officials to save his rear end commit political suicide by fighting for the their most important constituency: (soon to be) non-voting felons.

All of the states he's calling on either restrict voting privileges permanently or for the term of incarceration + probation + parole, except for Ohio which is only for the term of incarceration.

Ammon Bundy posted:

Ammon Bundy, February 6, 2016. This is a call to action for any elected representative in Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, the State of Washington, and Ohio. You have constituents in federal custody. Please visit and contact them to voice your support for free speech, the right to assemble, and civil disobedience.

It is your duty to hold federal agencies at bay, protecting the people in your state. And to those who disagree with my speech, or our civil disobedience, and may dislike our ideas regarding that the land belongs to the people: Please remember that you do not want free speech to be retaliated against by government officials. If you do not advocate for government to tolerate ideas that it hates, then the First Amendment and free speech mean nothing.

Arm yourself with ideas. Arm yourselves with education. Argue and disagree. Be free. Thank you.

cumshitter has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Feb 8, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

several of them were already felons before they took up arms against the government so now they're double-felons

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've been reading up on this lately and found a video (part of what looks like a big series) of LaVoy explaining his beliefs. Not like anyone wants to watch a 30 minute video, but I did find a great break down of it (LaVoy uses the waiting in line analogy at about 12:30):

quote:

Here’s the Cliff Notes version of Mr. Finicum’s video. Rights are established by three actions: claim, use, defend. Analogy given: You are first in line at the DMV, you say loudly that you are first in line and fight with anyone who challenges your place in line. (Although he doesn’t touch on what happens when you lose the challenge, we can presume that the “winner” gets the place in line). Otherwise known as “might makes right”. Finicum states that this “might makes right” doctrine precedes the Constitution in the form of some vague natural law (aka “brute force”). All of this doctrine is consistent with how the Native Americans were treated by settlers. They failed to defend with sufficient strength and lost their rights. Finicum’s beef (pun intended) is that a claimant of superior strength, the federal government, is now taking his “rights”. Finicum is essentially whining about being on the losing end of his own cherished doctrine (and, oddly, invoking the Constitution which he has just declared is not the source of his rights). Then there is the specious argument that introducing a foreign animal to the environment so it can utilize what is perceived to be an underused resource, grass, grants the rancher and his foreign livestock rights which supersede those people who had been in line for thousands of years and have a different view of the use of the resource. This is as logical as a saying that a coal company can simply claim Finicum’s ranch and exploit the coal underneath it by a: claiming it, b: using it and c: defending it. By Finicum’s logic, anyone with a big enough stick can take his land to use for whatever purpose they want, as long as their stick is big enough.

Finicum’s “claim, use and defend” is a painfully simplistic maxim for a long bygone era of cavemen and medieval kings and is antithetical to American values, the Constitution, rule of law, etc.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
manifest destiny

me white man you tarzan and then a black man does the same poo poo to you and you piss out your eyeballs

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Pretty sure the federal government is using and defending that land LaVoy

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Goodpancakes posted:

Pretty sure the federal government is using and defending that land LaVoy

the underused resource that the feds are using it for is FREEDOM :911:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I wish "Y'all Queda" had caught on more.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Amazon page for LaVoy's book now contains a shitload of positive reviews by militia crazies. His book is apparently extremely well written and has lots of valuable lessons to teach (about killing federal agents).

A couple of them are commenting on every negative review and calling them out for being left wing trolls.

quote:

I purchased this novel after the author was killed resisting tyranny. I had low expectations for the book, ignorant of the man's ability to craft a good story. But it is very well written and his style reflects a deep appreciation for classic western novels and modern resistance novels by such as Brakken and Max Velocity.

Those who are awake have lost a tremendous voice of reason and encouragement. This book will teach a few helpful tips to even the most prepared, but I was most impressed with his character's justification for the summary adjudication of the objectively wicked. His rationale was well developed and excellent fodder for discussion among you, your friends and your family.

Finally, Mr. Finicum's "about the author" section, as well as the title of the book, were remarkably prophetic about the Malheur Stand and his murder.

Clearly, Mr. Finicum was a better man than most, and it turns out he is a better writer than most as well.

Through his skill at description and succinct turns of phrases, his novel gives the rest of us hope that we can, with a slight adjustment of our mindset and a good bit of focused effort, successfully apply the principles found in this book when the time comes.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Holy poo poo, I took a few days off from this poo poo and it's still going on.

Shine on you batshit crazy diamonds :allears:

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

Holy poo poo, I took a few days off from this poo poo and it's still going on.

Shine on you batshit crazy diamonds :allears:

Every day the patriots inside the perimiter ration their supplies and wait to be rescued. And every day the cowards outside the wire look at their rascals and say "not today".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cumshitter posted:

The Amazon page for LaVoy's book now contains a shitload of positive reviews by militia crazies. His book is apparently extremely well written and has lots of valuable lessons to teach (about killing federal agents).

A couple of them are commenting on every negative review and calling them out for being left wing trolls.

How do you get Amazon to suggest other things people who bought thing A also buy thing B.

Like dildoes

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

welp, ammon's lawyers are morons

quote:

While Ammon Bundy was teaching others about his interpretation of the Constitution, lawyers were schooling him about potential violations of federal laws as the militant leader led the occupation at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Both Ammon Bundy and his brother Ryan told several journalists, including OPB reporters, that an Oregon-based law firm was asking to represent the men.

On Jan. 7, in an interview with OPB, Ryan Bundy said the militants didn’t need lawyers, because he didn’t believe the group had broken any laws.

“But some are coming up to talk with us,” Bundy said.

On Jan. 9, Lissa Casey of the Arnold Law Firm tweeted that she and Brian Boender, a fellow attorney from the Eugene Based Arnold Law Firm, met with some “very nice men” at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

“Most dangerous part of the trip: [Bryan Boender] driving snowy pass,” Casey tweeted.

On Jan. 14, Ammon Bundy confirmed he met with lawyers over the previous weekend; however, he didn’t name them.

“I did, and they had their suggestions, but look, we’re not breaking any laws,” Bundy said. “They made a list and shared it with us and we’ll keep that in mind, but again, the federal government has no authority on this land.”

Federal government officials disagree, and indicted Ammon Bundy along with fifteen others for keeping federal employees from “discharging their duties.”

To defend him against those charges, Bundy retained the Arnold Law Firm.

That retention could potentially be a violation of Oregon State Bar guidelines.
Rules Against Soliciting Clients

Lissa Casey and Mike Arnold, the head of the Arnold Law Firm, confirmed that Ammon Bundy did not contact the firm, but rather attorneys for the firm went to meet the militants face-to-face.

“I felt duty-bound to give pro bono [emphasis: Casey’s] advice to the protesters out there given that they were practicing civil disobedience and didn’t appear to have any legal counsel,” Casey told OPB in a written statement.

That action could potentially violate Oregon bar rules, specifically, section 7.3. Portland criminal attorney Janet Hoffman said that the rule prohibits attorneys from soliciting clients by phone, electronic contact or in person.

“It kind of gives clients some distance from the proverbial image of like ambulance chasing — that you’re calling people chasing after one catastrophe after another,” Hoffman said.

The rule specifically prohibits solicitation if one of the driving motivations for the attorney is financial gain.

In an email to OPB, Casey repeatedly emphasized that any legal advice given to Bundy and other militants was offered pro bono. But now that an indictment has been issued against Bundy and 15 others, Casey said the firm is charging for its services.

“We expect the litigation to be rather lengthy and expensive so he asked us to set him up with the crowd sourcing page to assist in raising funds,” Casey wrote.

As of Friday, Feb. 5, that page had raised about $27,000 of its $100,000 goal.

While representing Ammon Bundy could raise the profile of the Arnold Law Firm and potentially bring more business to the firm, a prominent legal professor said that shouldn’t be considered when looking at possible ethics violations.

“That wouldn’t be a factor here, because it’s not money they’re going to make from [this] client,” said John Strait, an associate professor at the Seattle University School of Law.

One of the key questions is when Ammon Bundy became a client of the Arnold Law Firm, and whether the firm approached him to solicit his business. Casey said she and Boender drove to the refuge to advise the armed militants as they occupied the refuge.

“We drove the five hours over there and offered our free legal services about the occupation itself while they were doing their sit-in protest at the refuge,” said Casey.

She declined to comment about the specific conversations she had with Ammon Bundy, as did Managing Partner Mike Arnold. He cited attorney-client privilege as the reason for not commenting about the conversations.

Casey, however, told OPB that Bundy was not yet a client at the time she and Boender visited.

“Ammon Bundy retained us the morning of his initial appearance,” she wrote, meaning it’s possible privilege was not established between the firm and Ammon Bundy until that point.

Militant Leaders Ordered Young, New Recruits to Break Laws

Another question hanging over the case is whether attorneys advised militant leaders to pin certain crimes on younger militants and new recruits.

Before he was arrested, Ryan Bundy said attorneys gave him and other occupation leaders lists of laws to steer clear of breaking.

Ammon Bundy also said that attorneys had inventoried potential legal violations, and had given the militant leaders a list of laws they believed were being broken.

An OPB reporter saw militant leader Ryan Payne, who headed the security team at the refuge before he was arrested, giving orders to young militants.

Some of them had arrived at the refuge hours before and were new to the group.

Payne was also seen stopping now deceased militant Robert “LaVoy” Finicum from getting into a white, federally owned truck.

“You don’t do that, have them do that,” Payne said as he pointed a new arrival who went by the name of “Joe.”

An OPB reporter also witnessed Ammon Bundy telling television journalists that he would not drive federally owned vehicles, use federal computers, or engage in other illegal activities that other, rank-and-file, militants had done.

Ryan Bundy was asked about his brother’s comments, and acknowledged militant leaders would not engage in those visible crimes, because younger militants and newer recruits were less likely to be prosecuted.

“The government’s going to leave those guys alone,” Ryan Bundy said.

Two of the last holdouts on the refuge — David Fry and Sandy Anderson — confirmed to OPB that they, too, saw militant leaders order those outside the inner circle to break laws, like using government computers, driving federal vehicles, or plowing new roads on the refuge.

But in one of his last conversations before the FBI severed militants’ communications, holdout Sean Anderson said those orders were not given with the intent of shifting criminal responsibility to new recruits. Anderson added that he “trusted Ammon and Ryan” with his life.

A source close to Ammon Bundy, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing federal criminal case, said a list of crimes to avoid might have been compiled. However, the person suggested that interloping lawyers from out of state had created and distributed that inventory to militant leaders.

Lissa Casey didn’t respond directly to that inquiry. In her statement to OPB, she wrote, “it appeared that some out-of-town lawyers arrived to help as well.”

The only lawyer from out of state OPB could identify as visiting the compound before the arrest of Ammon and Ryan Bundy is Todd Macfarlane. He represents the family of LaVoy Finicum.

In a statement to OPB, Macfarlane wrote, “I have never represented the Bundys and have never given them any legal advice.”

Law professor John Strait said that if a lawyer advised the Bundys on “how to break the law,” that would be an ethical violation.

“If the lawyer counsels what is or isn’t against the law, that’s their job,” Strait said. “But the lawyer can’t help by saying, ‘Here’s how you commit the crimes smarter.’”

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh my god those loving scumbags, trying to force the newest and youngest to actually commit all the crimes in case it meant they could get off by rolling on them. Apparently that letter they got didn't include the explanation of what "conspiracy" means. I love that they took what they thought were elaborate measures to avoid violating the law that they were telling new recruits didn't apply to them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They should get minors to do it because minors can't go to prison for crimes past 18 :downsgun:

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
most of these right-wing militant fucks are boomers so they're already pretty used to loving over the younger generations

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I'm kind of late here, but this should be the definitive video for the dongcopter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uxrgKfWmXs

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Did whoever edited this add "emphasis: casey's" because pro bono was in italics? lmfbo

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They are going to die in prison.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Philthy posted:

They are going to die in prison.

I wish they would die where they are right now

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

“I did, and they had their suggestions, but look, we’re not breaking any laws,” Bundy said. “They made a list and shared it with us and we’ll keep that in mind, but again, the federal government has no authority on this land.”

He should get Charlie Day to represent him. He knows bird law.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Man, David Fry's latest videos against the FBI seem to wholly consist of "nuh-uh", "you can't make me" and "gently caress you Dad!"

FBI says don't drive the Federal vehicles or that's a charge. He does it anyway. Don't try and reinforce your position, they do it any way. Don't broadcast to youtube, he does it any way.

These guys are literally the dumbest people ever.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I pop into the NTA stream to see what's what, chat is being racist, so I half-heartedly troll a bit.

:black101: "You guys know that both parties are using the media to divide the races so they can pass the Illuminati New World Order, right?"

:clint: "Naw man, you see, the blacks oppress themselves, and since it's in their nature to commit crime they blame whitey"

:black101: "Yeah but both parties are controlled by corporations who want to keep the classes divided"

:clint: "Yeah the corporations are coming for us and the Feds are corrupt as gently caress, but them niggers lemme tell you"

:black101: "I live in rural NY, it's primarily white people here, with a ton of crime committed by white people, because of a meth and opiate epidemic among the white population.... who's oppressing them?"

*crickets*

:clint: "Boy howdy, them niggers...."

Never change, piss poor white people.

Seizure Meat has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Feb 9, 2016

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

I pop into the NTA stream to see what's what, chat is being racist, so I half-heartedly troll a bit.

:black101: "You guys know that both parties are using the media to divide the races so they can pass the Illuminati New World Order, right?"

:clint: "Naw man, you see, the blacks oppress themselves, and since it's in their nature to commit crime they blame whitey"

:black101: "Yeah but both parties are controlled by corporations who want to keep the classes divided"

:clint: "Yeah the corporations are coming for us and the Feds are corrupt as gently caress, but them niggers lemme tell you"

:black101: "I live in rural NY, it's primarily white people here, with a ton of crime committed by white people, because of a meth and opiate epidemic among the white population.... who's oppressing them?"

*crickets*

:clint: "Boy howdy, them niggers...."

Never change, piss poor white people.

I think its funny, then I remember the rest of my family thinks like this.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol here's ammon bundy's legal defense fund https://www.fundedjustice.com/en/projects/28054-Ammon-Bundy---Legal-Defense-Fund

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What does he need it for? The federal government doesn't have jurisdiction in this case.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

How do you get Amazon to suggest other things people who bought thing A also buy thing B.

Like dildoes

Buy a copy of the book then buy a dildo and a tarp.

Return the book,
Gift the dildo
Salute the tarp.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Do you actually have to buy it, or does making the purchase and immediately cancelling it contribute to Amazon's "Other people bought this too" algorithms?

Like, I've been waiting for the flimsiest, most paper thin excuse to buy a dildo. And I'm totally buying a dildo to put in my pooper, but I just wanted to ask for a friend.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

cumshitter posted:

Do you actually have to buy it, or does making the purchase and immediately cancelling it contribute to Amazon's "Other people bought this too" algorithms?

Like, I've been waiting for the flimsiest, most paper thin excuse to buy a dildo. And I'm totally buying a dildo to put in my pooper, but I just wanted to ask for a friend.

I asked a friend of mine that works at Amazon.

"I assume that adult items are ineligible to be associated with non adult items"

So rip

edit
You can buy a dildo and recommend the book and the same with the book with the dildo.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

dildo and tarp makers are going to make bank off of this and have no loving idea why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

I asked a friend of mine that works at Amazon.

"I assume that adult items are ineligible to be associated with non adult items"

So rip

edit
You can buy a dildo and recommend the book and the same with the book with the dildo.

So wait, did I just waste three hours pretending to buy dildos or not???????????????

I mean I bought a dildo, but I pretended to buy a lot more.