Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ScreamingLlama posted:

OK then, if you think breaking the law is completely acceptable, then why don't you just drug-traffick your way out of poverty OH WAIT DRUGS ARE BAD AREN'T THEY

your pure stupidity is utterly breathtaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

turdbucket posted:

Yeah I agree with this, just to be clear I think eating disorders and issues with depression etc leading to someone overeating and therefore struggling with everyday life is a valid disability. It's just that Screamingllama is a moron and arguing against apparent welfare fraud, which is such a pitiful amount to be taking from the government anyway, even ignoring the very small percent of people who do it, while claiming disability for something his fellow welfare fraud crusaders would normally dismiss as a disability is stupid. Also a very fat man telling vegans to go gently caress themselves while apparently packing himself full of factory farmed meats to the point he cannot function properly is gross. if he wasn't such an angry boy telling others how to live i would have sympathy for his fat arse but as he likes to poo poo on how others choose to live their lovely lives then i don't see why we can't call him the fat moron that he is.

You really are living up to your username.

I'm not on the DSP because of obesity, you poo poo-dribbling horsefucker. I'm not even really obese because gently caress the BMI algorithm. I'm on disability because of chronic illness, mobility issues and severe panic disorder. If you're going to use those as ammo in this thread, I hope you get stabbed with a dirty needle because you are an irredeemable sack of human garbage.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

ScreamingLlama posted:

You really are living up to your username.

I'm not on the DSP because of obesity, you poo poo-dribbling horsefucker. I'm not even really obese because gently caress the BMI algorithm. I'm on disability because of chronic illness, mobility issues and severe panic disorder. If you're going to use those as ammo in this thread, I hope you get stabbed with a dirty needle because you are an irredeemable sack of human garbage.

I have all those issues too but you don't see me trying to get DSP. Get a job

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't suppose you've heard of the concept of 'degree of severity'?

No?

Carry on, then.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ScreamingLlama posted:

No?

Carry on, then.

No. but I have heard of welfare fraud and I think we can all agree that it's far to easy for a cheater to get the benefits you have, so you should definitely be under more scrutiny.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
woah, these last couple of pages have really been... something... And I am questioning many things regarding morality, but it's still a show nonetheless.

Also, let them stay, loving heathens ITC, In This (loving worthless) Country.

gently caress your racist and xenophobic thoughts you loving poo poo eating leeches, and gently caress sending 37 babies to a psychological hell, this ride loving sucks and I want a refund (of legislation).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Maybe if the government wasnt spending upwards of 65K a head for basic IT work they would have money for server upgrades.

I applied for a few jobs that were basically 'can you troubleshoot MS office' and they were paying up to 75k a year with super.

The office of state revenue was one of them, but it was so boring just visiting there to do the interview that I wanted to kill myself.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I just love how oblivious you are.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Laserface posted:

Maybe if the government wasnt spending upwards of 65K a head for basic IT work they would have money for server upgrades.

It's more than that, these are large scale IT projects and few know how to do them effectively or efficiently. Every department is different, hell, I'm pretty sure every building is different. You've got kludges on top of kludges that can't be untangled like a really bad snarl.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

No. but I have heard of welfare fraud and I think we can all agree that it's far to easy for a cheater to get the benefits you have, so you should definitely be under more scrutiny.

Already am, thanks. :D

big brother is watching me every day

he watches me whip

he watches me ne ne

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey turns out were now importing British scandals.

[quote="Our ABC!
The Big Four banks will be quaking in their boots as they wait to see if the corporate regulator will take legal action against ANZ over alleged interbank interest rate rigging, writes Sheryle Bagwell.

Labor Senator Sam Dastyari says it has the potential to be the "largest financial scandal of its kind in Australia".

That's a big call given the recent financial advice mis-selling problems which have embroiled the big banks and smashed the retirement savings of thousands of investors.

But the long-running ASIC investigation into possible interbank interest rate rigging - which appears to be reaching its denouement - has the potential to be more damaging to the banking sector in terms of fines and enforceable undertakings than anything that has come before it.

"This is huge," Dastyari told RN Breakfast this morning.

"My sources within ASIC ... seem fairly confident that they are on the verge of what will perhaps be the largest ever civil penalties process of its kind."

The Australian Financial Review's Adele Ferguson reported today that the corporate regulator was just weeks away from launching legal action against one bank under investigation for possible rates rigging - ANZ Bank.

ANZ was the only major retail bank to out itself two years ago when it stood down seven traders targeted by ASIC for possible manipulation of the benchmark interest rate, known as the bank bill swap rate or BBSW.

But as Dastyari pointed out today, you can't manipulate rates on your own - you have to have partners. And so all the banks which once sat on the BBSW rate-setting panel between 2007 and 2013 - it's since been dismantled - are now being investigated for possible rate rigging and collusion, including the other Big Four banks: the CBA, NAB and Westpac.

Any potential action against ANZ would have them quaking in their boots.

So why should we care if a few traders tinkered with an obscure interbank lending rate?

The bank bill swap rate is the interest rate used by banks when they lend to each other. It ultimately influences everything from mortgage loans to small business and car loans. So if a bunch of traders get together and decide that the BBSW has to rise, then consumers will pay more, with the profits flowing directly to the banks' bottom lines equally (after all, there was collusion), which means higher bonuses for the traders involved.

In other words, we pay while they party.

ASIC was tipped off about the possible misconduct after a similar scandal exploded in the UK in 2012. Some of the world's biggest banks were found to have deliberately manipulated the most widely used interest rate in the world, known as the Libor or London interbank offered rate, to boost their profits.

The Libor scandal led to banks such as UBS, the Royal Bank of Scotland and Barclays being fined billions* of dollars by UK regulators. One trader was sent to jail for 14 years, reduced on appeal to 11 years.

....ASIC though is now apparently closing in on the big fish - the Big Four - where rates rigging has potentially a much bigger impact on the economy. According to Sam Dastyari, ASIC has been trawling through years of emails and chat room records of bank traders for evidence of manipulation and collusion. He says the regulator has spent 50 per cent of its budget on this one investigation alone, and that legal action against the ANZ as the first cab off the rank is close.

For its part, ASIC is keeping mum on the pace of the investigation. But it expects to be asked about the case when it appears before a Senate inquiry on Thursday, the same one still investigating the financial planning saga. Sam Dastyari sits on the committee and will no doubt be asking the question.

The biggest question though may be whether the punishment - when and if it comes - will fit the crime. The banks face civil penalties that Sam Dastyari warns could be "huge". But how much of a deterrent will they be in the end? Will they just be viewed by the perpetrators as the cost of doing business, as the Greens have complained?

Another Senate inquiry - set up by the Greens - is now looking at the level of penalties for white collar crime in Australia. The ASIC inquiry into rates rigging in Australia - if proved - will be its first test case.[/quote]
[i]* looked it up apparently the Libor scandal had six different banks pay a total of $AU 7.6 billion in fines. [/s]

Vote Libor 2016!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
so screamingllama is a welfare fraud in addition to being an electoral fraud, got it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dr_rat posted:

Hey turns out were now importing British scandals.

* looked it up apparently the Libor scandal had six different banks pay a total of $AU 7.6 billion in fines.

Vote Libor 2016!
I think we should just fine the banks that amount each year :devil:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

ScreamingLlama posted:

ScreamingLlama posted:

No?

Carry on, then.

You are literally a gigantic shitheel.

I was going to write that I couldn't understand why your position is the one you have, especially since you allegedly have health issues which preclude you from working normally. The sad part is that I can understand why you hold this terrible opinion, and that's because you just can't empathize with anyone else. Not only does it appear that you don't really understand that people can be in a lovely situation, but you don't mentalise that people may hold the opinion that you appear to be a "welfare cheat", due to existing stigma regarding mental health.

There really is some brilliant irony in the fact that your application was rejected, and yet you still hold your position. You'd normally expect someone in your position would be more understanding.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Sorry guys it isn't cool to use anyone's disability as an argument against them. Please stop. Even if the person has explicitly used their disability as a bargaining chip. There are so many other ways to show how hosed up what SL is advocating that it really only makes the disability argument look like a dog act.

Points not including disability

1/ The fraud is a tiny part of government revenue (Not the 'billions' claimed without citation by SL).
2/ Detecting the fraud costs a significant amount.
3/ Prosecuting the fraud definitely costs more than the amount potentially saved (:ssh: That's not why there are prosecutions).
4/ In many cases 'fraud' is a result of the Byzantine processes in place to discourage valid applicants.
5/ When the benefits are so pitiful it leaves people in financial hardship despite their best efforts a little 'massaging' or the facts is inevitable (See also petty crime in Dickensian Britain).

There are more but until SL addresses the above and justifies their stance of:

ScreamingLlama posted:

(I'm not saying they found the best way to go about combating the fraud, either, but I'd like to see you do better.)
I'm not engaging further.

-/-

Want to choose the worst* person possible? Of course you did!

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...131-gmhyfe.html

quote:

Kate Carnell quits business lobby to become first small business ombudsman February 1, 2016 James Massola

A business lobbyist and advocate for cutting penalty rates has been appointed Australia's first small business and family enterprise ombudsman. Small Business Minister Kelly O'Dwyer has chosen Kate Carnell, who until recently led the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry [ACCI] and who is also a former ACT chief minister, to fill the newly created position for a five year period. Ms Carnell will lead a small team and the independent office has been allocated a budget of about $6 million to offer a range of services to small and medium sized enterprises with employees of less than 100 people.

Ms Carnell told Fairfax Media that, in her view, the new Ombudsman's position had two key roles.

"First of all, it is to act as an advocate for small and medium business and to be a conduit to government for them and a single point of entry," she said. "It's also to focus on alternate dispute mechanisms, so small businesses don't get caught up in lengthy and expensive court cases. I will be working with organisations like the ACCI, to ensure they have a voice in government. So in some ways it's similar to what I've been doing, as an advocate for small to medium business, but inside the tent." Ms O'Dwyer said Ms Carnell would bring extensive experience and knowledge to the role of Ombudsman, given her background in business, and was "well-positioned to translate the voices of small Australian businesses and family enterprises into targeted policy messages for government". The appointment was "a major win for small business owners who will have access to advice and support, and an independent advocate to ensure the government creates the right conditions for small businesses to grow. The government acknowledges small businesses make a substantial contribution to Australia's economy with over two million small businesses generating around a third of economic output."

Ms Carnell's appointment comes as the government considers its response to the Productivity Commission's report on Australia's work laws and what, if any, industrial relations changes it will take to the next election. The Commission recommended in its report that the independent Fair Work Commission consider cutting some Sunday penalty rates to the same level as Saturday rates, a position backed by Ms Carnell in the ACCI's submission. She leaves the ACCI, one of the largest business lobby groups in the country, after a little less than two years with the organisation and will begin in her new role on March 11.

I have a strong suspicion that this is going to be another barracking spot for the neo-cons rather than any sort of a small business 'support' role. I hope to be greatly disappointed.

-/-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-09/closing-the-gap-doomed-to-fail-without-more-indigenous-input/7149442

quote:

Closing the Gap 'doomed to fail' without more Indigenous input, activist Patrick Dodson says By the National Reporting Team's Natasha Robinson Updated about an hour ago

Aboriginal leaders are calling for a new compact with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull amid warnings the Government's signature Closing the Gap policy has slipped seriously off track.

Key points:

Activist Patrick Dodson says it is probably time to scrap the Closing the Gap policy
He says it will not work unless Indigenous groups have more involvement Quell surprise!
The eighth Closing the Gap report comes out on Wednesday
Yawuru leader Patrick Dodson has questioned whether the policy aimed at dispelling Indigenous disadvantage should continue, a day ahead of the release of the Prime Minister's eighth report on progress under Closing the Gap.

"Closing the Gap hasn't got a buy-in from Indigenous communities," Mr Dodson said. "There's a lot of aspiration and maybe good intention, but unless you get participation from Indigenous entities at a local level and community level, it's not going to work. Without Indigenous participation it's going to be doomed to fail and all we'll see is another record of some achievements in some minor areas, but we're basically just changing the tablecloth on a table without really realising that the white ants are eating the legs out of the table, and we have to restructure the whole nature of our relationship." Asked whether it was time to scrap the policy, Mr Dodson said: "I think it probably is."

The Yawuru leader said Aboriginal people wanted substantive recognition as part of a settlement process or treaty, rather than a government accounting exercise on reducing disadvantage. But Mr Dodson said there was currently a vacuum in Indigenous policy, with Mr Turnbull affording the area a relatively low profile. "I think it's a problem if the leader of the country is not paying attention to these significant issues that are affecting Indigenous peoples in this country," Mr Dodson said. "So unless Mr Turnbull and his Government has some other methodology, they need to put it on the table so that Indigenous participation can take place. Without that, the ideas around improving the quality of life for Indigenous peoples are going to be fraught with difficulty. "We haven't had a political expression around treaty since Bob Hawke made the announcement back at Barunga back in the '80s. There's been no political leader prepared to come out and say 'we want to enter into a treaty with the Indigenous people'. But the Indigenous people are now saying 'we want some kind of settlement, some kind of treaty with you', but where's the political will about that? That doesn't exist at the moment, or it seems to be very tentative."

Former Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Tom Calma was one of the original architects of the Close the Gap campaign, which aimed to eliminate the life expectancy gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. That movement is an Aboriginal-led campaign, as distinct from the Government's Closing the Gap policy. The Aboriginal Close the Gap campaign is celebrating its 10th year. "Ten years we've been going, and we've only increased our work, some of the same people that joined me in 2006 are still with us today," Mr Calma said. "We will still go on, we know it's a generational target we need to look at." But Mr Calma said goodwill between Aboriginal people and governments had suffered damaging blows over the past decade.

Whilst politicians procrastinate, people still die.

Tom Calma, former Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner: "Governments have waxed and waned over time, there's been inconsistent policy application, funding for programs has stopped and started and that is not good," Mr Calma said. "When there's changes in policy directions, it might be the stroke of a pen in Canberra, but that has a massive effect out in communities, and they've got to go and cope with that change. We need to get them to sign up again to the statement of intent and say they are going to work together on these policies and programs, and they are going to work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people."

Mr Calma said there had some good progress under the Closing the Gap policy, especially in infant mortality and Year 12 completion. But progress in other areas had stalled. "It's stalling in some regards and in other regards it's very positive," Mr Calma said. "The gains that we were seeing have in the past six or so months maybe stalled because of changes of government policy and funding. "That's why I urge government, as we do in the Close the Gap campaign, to have a steady keel, and let the programs come out." Mr Calma singled out a national policy on suicide prevention — proposed and funded with $17.8 million by the Gillard government and now on hold — as one example of stalled progress. "We don't have an implementation of the suicide prevention strategy," Mr Calma said. "Whilst politicians procrastinate, people still die."

Aboriginal former magistrate Sue Gordon headed the Northern Territory intervention into remote Indigenous communities in 2007. She is now president of the board of the Polly (Graham) Farmer Foundation, and believes Closing the Gap does not take account of grassroots progress. "I think the community get a bit tired of hearing closing the gap this or closing the gap there But people in the community don't really understand what it's about. It's really aimed at those people who work in the Aboriginal industry for want a better word," she said. 'All members of the Government are out listening'

A spokesman for the Prime Minister said Mr Turnbull "has met and spoken to several Indigenous leaders and people, and will continue to seek a diverse range of views as we progress Indigenous policy matters. This includes on Constitutional Recognition of Indigenous Australians," the spokesman said. "The Prime Minister has met with and spoken to Mr Dodson several times in the months since becoming Prime Minister. We acknowledge that Closing the Gap is a long-term agenda, and we need to work in partnership with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians to get the best outcomes. All members of the Government are out listening, and responding, to the needs of their communities. This includes Indigenous people."

The Prime Minister's Closing the Gap progress report 2016 will be tabled in Parliament tomorrow.

Book published in 1942 about WA in the 19th Century posted:

]there was little in the attitude of the invaders that was likely to modify the harshness of the meeting or to assist the native in the process of adapting himself to new conditions, while there was much to hinder that adaptation. ..No particular system was tried long enough or thoroughly enough to justify anyone in saying that such-and-such a method was good or bad.

Except for occasional flourishes under the inspiration of an exceptional individual, the white colonists took the way that was easiest for them. When the native did not respond immediately to their attempts to 'civilize' him those attempts ceased.
Re-quoted for emphasis of original point.

*Worst woman? I think it's great the position has gone to someone who isn't a suit but KC is a total piece of human garbage who can be paid to say anything.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/30767296/government-eyes-massive-medicare-health-privatisation/

quote:

Medicare, pharmaceutical and aged-care benefits would be delivered by the private sector under an extraordinary transformation of health services being secretly considered by the Federal Government.

The West Australian has learnt that planning for the ambitious but politically risky outsourcing of government payments is well-advanced, with a view to making it a key feature of Treasurer Scott Morrison’s first Budget in May.

Analysis: Will Turnbull roll the dice on a health reform this big?

To be put to the market a few weeks later, the $50 billion-plus outsourcing would be the first time the private sector has delivered a national service subsidised by the government.

It would replace back-office operations done by bureaucrats.

They would administer claims and payments while overseeing eligibility criteria, meaning they would require access to people’s sensitive private information.

Doctors would also have to open their books to the provider, , which would be subject to regulatory oversight.

The payment system task force run by bureaucrat John Cahill is believed to have proposed a “proof of concept” trial next year. It would require companies being selected this year.

Australia Post, eftpos providers, Telstra and the big banks are showing interest given they have online payment and supply structures.

Foreign multinationals may also bid including Serco, Fuji-Xerox and Accenture. When former treasurer Joe Hockey flagged outsourcing Medicare payments in 2014, the Community and Public Sector Union warned of thousands of job losses. The Australian Medical Association has also spoken against the privatisation of Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

Within a fortnight, accountants Ernst & Young, KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers, McKinsey, Deloitte and Boston Consulting will lodge bids to design the business case for the potential privatisation.[/b\]

Though it would come with a short-term cost — possibly billions of dollars — to rebuild data and payment systems, the Government believes it would recoup much more later.

[b]The savings would rely on the private sector being faster and more efficient
, especially in high-tech platforms with which the government’s ageing computer system cannot compete.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who is yet to sign off on the plan, would have to deal with fallout from any move to privatise the iconic services.

The Health Department 18 months ago asked for expressions of interest to deliver Medicare, PBS and Veterans Affairs payments. The three programs will dispense a combined $39 billion in 2016-17 — $22 billion in Medicare benefits and $10.5 billion in PBS subsidies.

Total payments for aged care, including home and community care programs, will be $15.8 billion this financial year.

To prepare for baby boomers, the Government wants to deregulate aged care with packages bought from brokers. Over time, Australians face paying more towards their aged care under a means-tested, user-pays system.

An industry insider said Australia Post, one of seven remaining government businesses, would be worth a lot more when privatised if it had a multi-billion-dollar health contract.

A Health Department spokeswoman said Mr Cahill’s task force had asked an official panel of consulting firms to provide “specialist commercial, technical and other resources not readily available within the department and to operate for a concentrated period”.

"The RFQ (request for quotation) does not pre-empt any decisions by Government to deliver Medicare, aged care or other payments services in a particular way,” the spokeswoman said.

“The Government has made no decisions about this and is simply seeking additional capability to the department to consider options and progress market testing work that was publicly undertaken in late 2014.

“Emerging digital technologies provide opportunity to explore for innovation in the current payment systems to improve the consumer experience.

“The Department of Health has established a Digital Payments Services Taskforce responsible for seeking a market response for the commercial provision of health and aged care payment services, similar to Department of Veterans' Affairs payments and compliance services payments.

“Health will collaborate with the Department of Human Services which currently provides the payment services and with DVA in progressing this important work to support the consumer focussed approach.”

It is the West Australian, but looks like it's finally happening. Sigh....

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Medicare, pharmaceutical and aged-care benefits would be delivered by the private sector
benefits would be delivered by the private sector

*renews Greens membership*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
*watches america desperately trying to nationalise the horribly broken, overcosting underdelivering healthcare system*

"Hmmm we should definitely move towards the system they're moving away from."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*signs TPP giving American Pharmaceuticals a gently caress ton of power in regards to medicine access*
*Attempts to privatize health*

No lobbyists here, no siree.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'm opting out

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Oh yeah? Well maybe I'll start my own national insurance scheme.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If the ALP doesn't gain in the polls now then I don't know what the gently caress.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We're all being trolled

A good blog post

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You're not being trolled. These people just have a completely different worldview.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Anidav posted:

If the ALP doesn't gain in the polls now then I don't know what the gently caress.

Probably not. I'm callin' another 11 year Liberal government

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Peccadillo posted:

at least I won't care after the first 6 because there will be nothing of value left to save anyway.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ScreamingLlama posted:

Already am, thanks. :D

big brother is watching me every day

he watches me whip

he watches me ne ne

dear screaming llama, log off permanently

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

oz is a deadset legend and this is a pro-click article

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

I can't see any way of challenging this prediction.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
It's going to be an early election so that Turnbull can avoid having to show the public what his first budget would be (GST increase) and they'll win with a reduced majority in the lower house and a hung senate.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone explain to me how the gently caress having a for profit enterprise running important social infrastructure makes any loving sense. Ever dollar of profit is a waste for the taxpay as its not improving the service in any loving way!!

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

thatfatkid posted:

It's going to be an early election so that Turnbull can avoid having to show the public what his first budget would be (GST increase) and they'll win with a reduced majority in the lower house and a hung senate.

Lucy Turnbull is pushing hard for an Easter DD and Malcolm is holding back. Apparently Lucy is the Yoko and Malcolm Lennon, so it's a dice roll, but loaded to Easter rather than August. The steaming pile dumped on the senate on day one this year suggests they're looking for options

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's a combination of ideology, greed, and trying to look cool in front of your CEO mates. You see arguments like 'well why should the government run an airline/a phone company/a health insurer/whatever and that's about the end of the philosophy behind it.

It can work when the market is big enough to support competition, which is why a plane ticket to the UK doesn't cost a years wages anymore, but for something like the PBS it's just siphoning money off to the private sector.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 9, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's part of the retirement plan from politics.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Awesome to see a bunch of poseurs who will scream at the slightest ideological sin using a person's mental illness for ammo in a flame war.

You're all hypocritical assholes.

e: except cartoon who has been chill and reasonable throughout.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 9, 2016

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I have all those issues too but you don't see me trying to get DSP. Get a job

You're a loving dickhead mate.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think you mean his personality

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Michymech posted:

Can anyone explain to me how the gently caress having a for profit enterprise running important social infrastructure makes any loving sense. Ever dollar of profit is a waste for the taxpay as its not improving the service in any loving way!!

Depends on what you consider to be the important bit. Right leaning folk think profit for the providers should be the important bit, people with empathy think universal access to literally life saving systems is the important bit.

The thing they never explain when they say the market can do it cheaper is because the market does the sums to work out who they need to cut off to make things more profitable.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jesus loving christ ian mcdonald at the senate legislation committee. SHY called him a joke lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

asio posted:

Lucy Turnbull is pushing hard for an Easter DD and Malcolm is holding back. Apparently Lucy is the Yoko and Malcolm Lennon, so it's a dice roll, but loaded to Easter rather than August. The steaming pile dumped on the senate on day one this year suggests they're looking for options

Lucy is pushing hard for a large breasted stripper for her Easter present and people are just failing to understand what she wants. She shouldn't get what she wants, she should get Pavel. Everyone should get Pavel.

:nws: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/2f/aa/55/2faa5589b3e808407180f233120c410a.jpg :nws:

• Locked thread