Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Watch Patlabor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Radio Spiricom posted:

i love innocence but it elaborates on the deliberate pace, constant philosophizing, and overall mood of the first, rather than focusing on the procedural aspects. sac is definitely better if you prefer the latter, but i'm not a big fan. i realize i'm in the minority here.

if you like the movies just watch all of oshii's other stuff.

i'm same

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

Watch Patlabor.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Radio Spiricom posted:

i love innocence but it elaborates on the deliberate pace, constant philosophizing, and overall mood of the first, rather than focusing on the procedural aspects. sac is definitely better if you prefer the latter, but i'm not a big fan. i realize i'm in the minority here.

if you like the movies just watch all of oshii's other stuff.

:agreed: :)

Still liked SAC but yeah, super enjoyed wallowing in Innocence

also,

The Devil Tesla posted:

Watch Patlabor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bet this series that popped up in the rotation recently on kissmanga handles its subject very well and not incredibly offensively, especially with a seventh chapter simply titled "Japs"

quote:

Marginal Operation

"A 30 years old Japanese NEET joins a private military contractor in the middle east and becomes the handler of some soldiers."

this is in now way an actual recommendation, but I do love that they just keep on trying these really out there premises that are most likely completely horrible and insulting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet this series that popped up in the rotation recently on kissmanga handles its subject very well and not incredibly offensively, especially with a seventh chapter simply titled "Japs"

this is in now way an actual recommendation, but I do love that they just keep on trying these really out there premises that are most likely completely horrible and insulting

i mean, it's hard to stop producing manga with ridiculous premises when there are thousands of individual manga authors deciding to make them

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i read that and its not horrible but the translation is bad to the point of being unreadable and the random elf in a serious manga kept bugging me, but good job writing something off you haven't tried

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

i read that and its not horrible but the translation is bad to the point of being unreadable and the random elf in a serious manga kept bugging me, but good job writing something off you haven't tried
thanks for being the guinea pig so I didn't have to waste time on it in case it was bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I do love that they just keep on trying these really out there premises that are most likely completely horrible and insulting
uhm, why do you think it's most likely completely horrible and insulting

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Recently watched Angel's Egg and Night on the Galactic Railroad, and I'm in the mood for more stylish, surreal, and eerie anime in the same vein. The former in particular had a loving amazing Ligotti-meets-From-Software cosmic-horror aesthetic that I hunger for more of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

serial experiments lain

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

Recently watched Angel's Egg and Night on the Galactic Railroad, and I'm in the mood for more stylish, surreal, and eerie anime in the same vein. The former in particular had a loving amazing Ligotti-meets-From-Software cosmic-horror aesthetic that I hunger for more of.

It's not as good as either but you could try Darkside Blues.

Watch Lain first but if you've seen that watch Boogiepop Phantom.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You should watch Kenji's Spring as well, it's a(n unfortunately fictional, because almost nothing is known about his life) movie about NotGR author Kenji Miyazawa.

Also try Belladonna of Sadness.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

uhm, why do you think it's most likely completely horrible and insulting

iirc he had a similar reaction to the manga Kiss My rear end

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

iirc he had a similar reaction to the manga Kiss My rear end

quote:

After defeating a demon, Yakushiji Teruki is bound by a demon that brings pain to humans, in the most unusual ways that demon is bound by Shiki-kun through.....hemorrhoids, which is an illness in his anus...yes anus. All of a sudden, a girl by the name of Miura confronts him, what does she, the unsociable classmate want from Shiki-kun and his....anus? Find out!

sounds like a fun time, I can't imagine why someone would judge it prematurely

if it's actually good feel free to speak its praises but you can't see why someone would be dissuaded by that summary?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i only read five pages but the demon thing didn't seem literal, it just seemed like a dude who really needed some butt cream and was awkward about it. weird premise for a gag manga but w/e.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That sounds incredibly badass, I hope Miura can help Teruki with the rear end demons and maybe forge a friendship or even romance with him in the process.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bad rear end, indeed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not gonna pre-judge manga for bizarre premises when midori days ended up being one of my favorite romantic comedy stories ever

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Onani Master Kurosawa...

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sumire 16...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Onani Master Kurosawa...

In a similar vein, Molester Man

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I wish that guy did more bildung w. silly animu refrences because he's rly good at them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

i'm not gonna pre-judge manga for bizarre premises when midori days ended up being one of my favorite romantic comedy stories ever

For every midriff days or MMK there's a hundred ones that are just as bad or creepy as their premises sound

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

For every midriff days or MMK there's a hundred ones that are just as bad or creepy as their premises sound

How would you know, if you never give them a chance?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why do you think I haven't? Kissmanga has a lot of new stuff popping up on it every day. Almost all of it is lowest common denominator poo poo, with the occasional gem. There's one new one about painting that has potential that I've found in the last week though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is the one, took a minute to find it

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-to-Rune-to-Aoarashi

Only five chapters but it seems interesting

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Someone recommend me an anime with a really good/satisfying ending pretty please

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Someone recommend me an anime with a really good/satisfying ending pretty please

Midori Days
Symphogear

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

katanagatari, eureka seven

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Kyousougiga

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Alright alright alright. I'm already watching Symphogear, gonna start watching Eureka Seven in a bit, and added Kyousougiga to my Crunchyroll queue. Thank ya

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

littleorv posted:

Tsuritama comes to mind for something short & sweet.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Does manga also count? If so, the Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer had one of the best endings.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Evangelion 🗣

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

Evangelion 🗣

Unironically this but I know orv has already seen it

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Unironically this but I know orv has already seen it

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Someone recommend me a kickass action anime that doesn't have any lovely moe or fanservice in it

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Someone recommend me a kickass action anime that doesn't have any lovely moe or fanservice in it

Hellsing Ultimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Seen it, and enjoyed it.