Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

We found all the cheap houses were in really bad school districts, which we care about because we want to start a family. Maybe that's not a common desire?

mayhaps you've heard of unschooling? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

radiatinglines posted:

From what I've heard, the french foreign legion is no joke and they'll send you to places that are dangerous as hell

you're probably gonna die

It's my understanding that their mortality rate really is pretty high as far as military service goes and that's owing to being used as disposable shocktroops in accordance with French foreign policy.

Five years and you get French citizenship, though, or just if your rear end gets blasted on deployment and you live.

tl;dr; Don't die, goon!

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Grandmother of Five posted:

Great. here comes the millennial trolls once again, trying to tell the gen X'ers how everything isn't necessarily messed up despite white kids getting named stuff like "brayleen" when they don't even own big empty houses of their own to sit and cry in

Yeah, I have a great career now, but here are the 'uphill both ways in the snow' things I had to do to get here:

- Paid for two years of college as a janitor - literally hosed vomit off of sidewalks, changed out overflowing trash bags, swept out garbage pens, all from 4:30am to noon. No social life because of my schedule. Thanks, recession and housing crash!

- That wasn't enough, so I paid for more stuff by washing car parts in my brother's garage. 'Washing parts' means having a faucet of corrosive liquid (think turpentine or gasoline) flowing over your forearms while balancing a 30-pound cast iron part with one hand while scraping the crap out of it with a wire brush with the other. Oh, you accidentally stabbed your hand with the brush? Enjoy that burning sensation!

- Even after I had a year or so of paid work for a huge popular sportswear manufacturer under my belt, I had to send out 100 resumés to find a new job. This was the 90's way, by finding companies via trade magazines, word of mouth, and the phone book, and literally cold-calling every goddamn one to find hiring managers. I then had to get to each place, in person, without a car, hauling along my portfolio.

- You think rejection is tough now? Try spending over an hour of walking and bus rides to get to a place for them to say 'we will never hire someone like you, but we thought it would be fun to see the work you did for (this cool company), thanks for coming by! (slaps back)

There's more, but I can tell you're already bored, so...if you weren't connected by good parents, the 80's and 90's had all sorts of degrading, dirty, tough, 'character building' jobs that you had to get through to start your career.

I calibrate my pity for millennials through that lens.

Few of them have much 'grit'.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

Horniest Manticore posted:

that sounds like a really satisfying existence, kudos

A couple of bricks have my name on them, hell yeah.

spudsbuckley posted:

Congrats on buying a house you can't afford.

I'm a year younger than you and am also the sole owner of my house for the past 6 years and i have more than half the mortgage paid off already.

You are bad with money.

Buying a home at 26? I'm guessing a 2+1 in the middle of Nowhere with minimal downpayment. But yes, at 38 you'll be living like a God. In the middle of Nowhere. I'm talking real estate with increasing value.

I bet my downpayment was as much as your whole principal.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Here's a neat little article about how Joe Biden almost sold his house to pay for his son's medical bills but his boss was nice. Warning autoplayer http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/politics/joe-biden-barack-obama-financial-help/

Obamacare

that's right. Even with a very low medical insurance income I can still afford my house.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

BelgianWaffle posted:

Buying a home at 26? I'm guessing a 2+1 in the middle of Nowhere with minimal downpayment. But yes, at 38 you'll be living like a God. In the middle of Nowhere. I'm talking real estate with increasing value.

I bet my downpayment was as much as your whole principal.

15 minutes from where I work/the next major city.

Once again, well done on buying a house you can't afford.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
my millennial kids' children, ie my grandkids: tell us about the time back when people used technology like walkmans, NES controllerts and floppy discs for their intended purposes instead of as accessories like belt buckles

me, a now old gen X'er sitting in my rocking chair: well, let's see, a "janitor" was basically a type of job you could do, but there wasn't a ball pit or a rock climbing wall, you had to move your arms and legs for differnt reasons

grandkids: :stare:

me: i wasn't there personally, but some of my friends got contracted during the war in afghanistan after 9/11 and had to build the Burger King and the KFC in Camp Eden

grandkids in unison: what's Burger King? what's KFC? what's 911?

me: *sighs heavily* well, there used to be other resturants you could go to than MacDonalds and jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
haha, youll never have kids though

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao at the bitter guys trying to dogpile the dude who actually was smart with money. That's right guys, it's all The Man's fault you spent all your money on gadgets and beer, you deserve a house even if you didn't plan your finances or make sacrifices for your goals.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BelgianWaffle posted:

that's right. Even with a very low medical insurance income I can still afford my house.

you seem to think being insured will save you from financial devastation if you get sick

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

notZaar posted:

Lmao at the bitter guys trying to dogpile the dude who actually was smart with money. That's right guys, it's all The Man's fault you spent all your money on gadgets and beer, you deserve a house even if you didn't plan your finances or make sacrifices for your goals.

The only bitter dudes I see in here are the olds, everyone is rightfully making fun of the

I kinda feel bad that the dude makes all these sacrifices for a house, then tries to give millenials poo poo for not having one, but nobody even wants one or cares. That's gotta be rough

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 8, 2016

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

houses are gay

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My house is made entirely out of videogames and ball pits

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this thread has devolved into uses of the anecdotal logical fallacy and that's not good

where are the funny hipster pictures?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

symbolic posted:

this thread has devolved into uses of the anecdotal logical fallacy and that's not good

where are the funny hipster pictures?

I don't think anyone is trying to prove anything with anecdotes, they just enjoy posting about themselves. Very millennial actually

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

radiatinglines posted:

I don't think anyone is trying to prove anything with anecdotes, they just enjoy posting about themselves. Very millennial actually
also very Gen Z

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

radiatinglines posted:

Nah, Gen X writes, millennials Snapchat

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

a happy snowman posted:

Nah, Gen X writes, millennials Snapchat
millennials Tweet, Gen Z SnapChats

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this thread is pathetic

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

notZaar posted:

How's that? It's a useful degree that can get you a real job.

it's not practical enough for an industry job (physics != engineering), and the industry itself is dead in the west unless you're the sort of :shobon: millennial who believes ted talks

it's the sort of degree which requires a few years of grad school to make useful to industry or the academy which is also classic millennial

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I dropped out of high school and never finished more than a semester of college. I have a job that would allow me to buy a decent middle class house and pay the mortgage without any issue.

But instead of doing that I'm quitting my job and moving back to Europe, so...

loving millennials?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol what physics can't get a job now?

more like either

1) america is poo poo

2) you got a poo poo degree from a poo poo university

3) or most likely itt are goony fuckers who couldn't get a job outside coding if they had a doctorate and ten years military r&d experience

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

radiatinglines posted:

That's nice and all, but most people are not as smart as nuclear physicists, and hanging them all out to dry isn't going to be good for society long term

You dont need to be nuclear scientist smart to not buy a bunch of dumb poo poo you dont need. Just slightly-above-millenial smart.

radiatinglines posted:

you seem to think being insured will save you from financial devastation if you get sick

Who wouldn't be ruined by a serious illness? What's your point again?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 8, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

You dont need to be nuclear scientist smart to not buy a bunch of dumb poo poo you dont need. Just slightly-above-millenial smart.
i refrain from impulse buys and stupid flashy technological crap, so i reckon i'm ahead of the game :unsmith:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

He sacrificed all the poo poo that people enjoy doing to buy some house, castles of sand etc

I don't see the difference between getting suckered into buying a house you can't afford and getting suckered into buying phones

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

radiatinglines posted:

He sacrificed all the poo poo that people enjoy doing to buy some house, castles of sand etc

I don't see the difference between getting suckered into buying a house you can't afford and getting suckered into buying phones

I'm sure the loan officer all but guaranteed him that so long as he makes the payments, his credit will improve, and their customer service people would be contacting him down the road to finance him to a low fixed rate. Then he will have lots of extra cash.

That never happens but is a common lie to make home ownership look like good investment. It can be a good investment, but it can be a life wrecker. The lie is that property values always increase forever and ever.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Horniest Manticore posted:

that sounds like a really satisfying existence, kudos

Suddenly don't feel so bad about spending all my disposable income on drugs and travelling while living with my parents. Thanks goon.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Suddenly don't feel so bad about spending all my disposable income on drugs and travelling while living with my parents. Thanks goon.

Uhhh that's not the poo poo you're supposed to care about. Don't you watch TV?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like renting b/c i don't hafta pay to replace the fridge or water heater or the drywall when i drunkenly kick a hole into it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

E/N.txt

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
heres some cask strength millenial.png:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

-Troika- posted:

heres some cask strength millenial.png:

to be honest if we actually do find Martians or aliens otherwise, our first response would probably be to see how we can subtly exploit them

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Illavick posted:

My actual no poo poo 100% real plan at this point is to get in shape and join the french foreign legion. I get food and shelter and hopefully can stash away what little pay I get until I'm discharged after 5 years and then use my nest egg to get a college degree in something not lovely. Or I can also work for some PMC or as a cop. Or I can live in the wilderness with all my survival skills and wait for the end of civilization. Or maybe in those 5 years the economy will have recovered somewhat. Or maybe I'll get horribly killed in a gun fight and then none of this will be a problem for me anymore.

It's a pretty solid plan if I say so myself.

I think I remember some goon who did this. I don't think it worked out for them.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

radiatinglines posted:

Surprise, not everyone's a hipster that lines up at midnight to suck steve job's ghostcock to get the newest iphone.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

french foreign legion, jesus christ do you think you live in a movie or something? You will never do that.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

symbolic posted:

to be honest if we actually do find Martians or aliens otherwise, our first response would probably be to see how we can subtly exploit them

and they would be looking to do the same to us, or itll be like Roadside Picnic and we'll be living near hellholes and cursing the day we ever made contact

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

Surprise, not everyone's a hipster that lines up at midnight to suck steve job's ghostcock to get the newest iphone.
i'd like to think that at least some millennials know more pleasures in life than the iPad 2 Pro Air, Chester

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

froward posted:

most trades are hard on bodies in some way.

roofing is a pretty dangerous job, people fall off ladders all the time. Also it seems really hard on their backs & bodies. Also nobody ever gets benefits its almost always cash in hand work, no job security.. really crappy job. nobody to sue for poor conditions. all the guys you read about on buzzfeed who shot nails into their heads & legs & didn't notice were roofers.

painters, too, breathe a lot of fumes. they're always at least a little nuts. the painting foreman where I work has this mad cackle like a batman villain. never met a smart painter.

carpet layers crawl around on their knees all day. they have a special tool with barbs on one end, and a knee pad on the other. The barbs set into carpet, then they knee the pad *HRRRK* to cinch the carpet tight. Carpet laying tears people up.

welders get cataracts and go blind in their old age. Plus they get to breathe the horrible fumes from all the rod they burn up (but they all smoke anyway, so)

as an electrician i only have a little back pain from working overhead a lot, but people do get electrocuted. I heard through the grapevine that a guy I used to work with burned up his arm when he drilled into a live underground wire. he probably violated safety procedure but that poo poo does happen and we all shrug about it and say a thankful prayer that our boss isn't one of those "just get it done no matter what" assholes.

plumbers have it pretty good too, but they sometimes have to touch poop.

be a surveyor. you're outside all the time and its lovely all the time, but the money's bad and you won't die young. maybe from skin cancer.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

symbolic posted:

i'd like to think that at least some millennials know more pleasures in life than the iPad 2 Pro Air, Chester

Why would you think that?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Illavick posted:

My actual no poo poo 100% real plan at this point is to get in shape and join the french foreign legion. I get food and shelter and hopefully can stash away what little pay I get until I'm discharged after 5 years and then use my nest egg to get a college degree in something not lovely. Or I can also work for some PMC or as a cop. Or I can live in the wilderness with all my survival skills and wait for the end of civilization. Or maybe in those 5 years the economy will have recovered somewhat. Or maybe I'll get horribly killed in a gun fight and then none of this will be a problem for me anymore.

It's a pretty solid plan if I say so myself.

actually nevermind, good troll, you got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Fonzarelli posted:

french foreign legion, jesus christ do you think you live in a movie or something? You will never do that.

Not to mention you could just enlist in the Army then go to college on the taxpayers dime.

• Locked thread