Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

blugu64 posted:

Is that $20 per kindle, or one $20 bonus, as well as the $ per kindle?

That's 20$ per Kindle, and the Amazon reps confirmed you can add them all together.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got $50 for my trade in ($30 for keyboard and $20 bonus) and I purchased a paperwhite. It worked out so well.

Wow that is pretty crazy that they are offering $30 for working Kindle Keyboards. I guess those things still have a bunch of demand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the demand is Amazon wanting to ensure you stay in the Kindle ecosystem which you are more likely to do if you have a shiny new device.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

Drunk Tomato posted:

That's 20$ per Kindle, and the Amazon reps confirmed you can add them all together.

Wow that is pretty crazy that they are offering $30 for working Kindle Keyboards. I guess those things still have a bunch of demand!

Holy poo poo, the $20 towards the Kindle stacks? I've got an original fatboy Kindle 1 and an original Paperwhite lying around so if it's only gonna cost me $40~ to upgrade, I might as well I guess

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waynebo posted:

Holy poo poo, the $20 towards the Kindle stacks? I've got an original fatboy Kindle 1 and an original Paperwhite lying around so if it's only gonna cost me $40~ to upgrade, I might as well I guess

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I've got a Kindle 2 (though I may see what they're going for on ebay) and a Paperwhite.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Software Update for Kindle Voyage:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201630670

• A new Home screen layout, which features access to your recent books, your Reading List on Goodreads and personalised recommendations from the Kindle Store.
  • A new Quick Actions menu that allows you to quickly turn on Aeroplane Mode, sync your Kindle, manage your light settings and more.
  • The ability to share notes, highlights and your favourite books, straight from your device.
  • Our new OpenDyslexic reading font.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Software Update for Kindle Voyage:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201630670

• A new Home screen layout, which features access to your recent books, your Reading List on Goodreads and personalised recommendations from the Kindle Store.
  • A new Quick Actions menu that allows you to quickly turn on Aeroplane Mode, sync your Kindle, manage your light settings and more.
  • The ability to share notes, highlights and your favourite books, straight from your device.
  • Our new OpenDyslexic reading font.

Paperwhite is also getting an update. Hopefully you'll be able to disable the new home screen.

quote:

Personalized Home Screen

Your most recent books are featured in the upper left of your Home screen. Tap on My Library to view all your Kindle e-books. View the books downloaded on your device by tapping "Downloaded", or see all your e-books (including the ones in the Cloud) by tapping on "All".

A new section called "My Reading Lists"–found in the upper right hand on your Home screen–shows the books on your Amazon Wish List and any samples you've downloaded. If you're a Goodreads member, it will also include books on your Goodreads Want to Read shelf.

The bottom of your Home screen rotates to show you personalized book recommendations, books your Goodreads friends are reading, best-selling titles, and more. The list of recommendations changes every time you resume your Kindle from sleep mode, so you'll always have new books right at your fingertips.

Easily Access Popular Settings

Our readers' most-used settings–like airplane mode and device sync–can now be found together with just one tap of your toolbar.

Get Book Recommendations

With your input, we'll provide a list of recommended titles to help you discover more books you'll love.

First, tell us your favorite genres. Then rate a few books in the genres you selected. After hitting "next" at the bottom of that screen, you'll receive a list of personalized recommendations. See a book you might like? Start reading the free sample, or add it to your Goodreads Want to Read shelf.

Sharing Made Easy

Share your favorite book or quote with friends and family via Facebook and Twitter. With one tap, they'll be able to instantly read a free preview of the book–right from the web browser on their phone, tablet, or PC–even if they've never used Kindle before. No download, sign up, or sign in required.

http://smile.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13550053011&ref_=pe_2405760_166011780_deveng_ku16_

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Did they get rid of list view?

edit: never mind, looks like it's buried.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Call Me Charlie posted:

Paperwhite is also getting an update. Hopefully you'll be able to disable the new home screen.

http://smile.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13550053011&ref_=pe_2405760_166011780_deveng_ku16_

If the Paperwhite is getting an update, that might mean that the 5.6.5 jailbreak will be released! The author was waiting until Amazon fixed the security holes that enabled the jailbreak.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Is there a way to read ebooks on your PC? Amazon sells kindle books way cheaper than physical copies and presumably there is no shipping cost/time, but I don't really want to shell out for a tablet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sinking Ship posted:

Is there a way to read ebooks on your PC? Amazon sells kindle books way cheaper than physical copies and presumably there is no shipping cost/time, but I don't really want to shell out for a tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201245960

or you can read it in your web browser

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Well I feel kind of dumb, thanks for pointing this out to me !

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So I just manually updated my Paperwhite (to 5.7.2), and while I was googling about it I noticed a bunch of accouncements about Goodreads integration being rolled out for Paperwhite in the UK:

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/553-u-k-ireland-goodreads-on-kindle-e-readers-and-fire-tablets-now-avail
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201734030

However, I don't seem to have a Goodread icon on the home screen. Does anyone know why? It's a 6th gen paperwhite. Please don't tell me it's 7th gen only or something lovely like that?

edit: This 6th gen support page (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201301340) on amazon.co.uk has a link about goodreads, so I guess it's not that. So does anyone know what the problem might be?

edit2: It's not in the social networks screen either :/

edit3: nvm, de-register and re-register did it. I'll leave this here in case anyone else runs into this.

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 4, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
drat, the new interface and Goodreads stuff are really nice.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Hoping we get another Valentine's day kindle sale this year!

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Has anybody ever used the Onyx e-readers at all? They've got a refreshed 9.7in model coming out soon and that's the size I really want for an e-reader (I'd prefer to buy a Kindle in that size but Amazon apparently has no intention of ever making one larger than 6" ever again, the bums). Just curious if anybody here has hands-on experience with them at all.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not personally, but I went looking for it since I'd love a bigger ereader and while that one is a biggie, it's also not lighted.

I'm spoiled by my paperwhite. Can't go back to just regular e-ink.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The 5.6.5 Kindle jailbreak is out! Quite easy to use, and unlike what the post states, you do not need to host a file on a webserver.

1. Download these two files and extract them somewhere.
2. Inside the 'jb' folder there is a file called jb. Place it in the mounted directory of your Kindle (/mnt/us but it's the visible folder when you plug it in).
The next steps require you to work quickly. If you're going to set down your Kindle for a minute, place it in airplane mode first.
3. Turn off airplane mode and connect to http://45.78.56.44/jb/ in the Experimental Browser. If that's down, use http://kindlefere.com/jb/ - make sure that you include the full URL, including the http:// and the trailing /.
4. Follow the instructions on the page.
5. Set airplane mode back on when finished.
6. Place the .bin file from the second zip in the mounted directory of your Kindle.
7. Settings -> Update

From there, it's up to you to install KUAL and any other extensions that you find useful. Sadly, there isn't a way to change the typeface used other than installing Duokan or KOReader.

This should survive an update to 5.7.2, but I haven't tried it, opting instead to block automatic updates using BackDoorLock.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not personally, but I went looking for it since I'd love a bigger ereader and while that one is a biggie, it's also not lighted.

I'm spoiled by my paperwhite. Can't go back to just regular e-ink.

One of the new n96's now has front-lighting. I agree, that's a non-negotiable feature at this point.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sweet! Time to jailbreak my first Kindle.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Amazon has the paperwhite for 99.99$ for a limited time. The regular kindle is 59.99, and the kids bundle (whatever that is) is 79.99.

Damned good price for a kindle if you don't have one already.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I am wondering, why would you jailbreak a paperwhite and not just get a glo HD instead?

Can you do other things than just read books on it once jailbreaked?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I am wondering, why would you jailbreak a paperwhite and not just get a glo HD instead?

Can you do other things than just read books on it once jailbreaked?

Because the kindle has nicer hardware.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

fishmech posted:

Because the kindle has nicer hardware.

And it's not just a little nicer, either. I have a glo hd, and my wife has a new kindle, and while I still like the feel of the kobo more in my hand, there is just no comparison in screen quality/text readability. The kindle is miles ahead.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I went from a Kindle Keyboard to a Kobo Mini, and I super dug how small the screen was. The whole thing was about the size of a small paperback. It was flexy and plasticky, but that was ok because the KK was too. Then the battery took a poo poo after 2 years and only ran for 15 minutes before demanding a recharge. Kindle Keyboard still works great and it's five years old and has seen more use.

Then I bought a current entry level Kindle over Xmas, and the build quality's much improved. I'll never buy a Kobo again.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Kobos are also a pain to buy in the states. I don't think any major retailers stock them, nor amazon, and the Kobo site I've heard has awful, awful customer service. I got my Glo a few years ago from an independent bookseller.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

hope and vaseline posted:

Kobos are also a pain to buy in the states. I don't think any major retailers stock them, nor amazon, and the Kobo site I've heard has awful, awful customer service. I got my Glo a few years ago from an independent bookseller.

I got mine in a Best Buy when my wife was clothes shopping. This was a couple years back, not sure if they still stock them (I doubt it), because I really don't have many reasons to step into a Best Buy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I originally went with Kobo because it was the "Canadian" option (I seem to remember Amazon.ca having a really underwhelming selection or something? ) and by now it's been a few years and it's too late to switch over. I am not re-rebuying all them ebooks.

Also I like my Kobo.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
I jailbroke my Kindle PW so I could have custom fonts/heavier font weights. The addition of the capacitive touch screen made all the text a bit too light for my taste (it's really noticeable if you compare it to the $79 kindle that had analog). Then I forgot to turn wireless off one day, woke up to a bricked Kindle, and didn't know how to fix it. I ended up buying a PW mobo and replacing it instead.

I found out Calibre can add custom font options to books though so it's not even worth jailbreaking for me anymore. Being able to run a hyphenator in Calibre (via plugin) so books don't have weird spacing is really great too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Collections are probably the #1 reason to jailbreak right now, if you just use your reader as a reader. ePub support is pretty big too, but AZW3 is just ePub with a different wrapper, so not much loss there. You can even use custom fonts without jailbreaking. There is no way to conveniently manage collections without a jailbreak, though.

There are quite a few other benefits, of course, but that seems to be the most impactful in my opinion.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Collections are probably the #1 reason to jailbreak right now, if you just use your reader as a reader. ePub support is pretty big too, but AZW3 is just ePub with a different wrapper, so not much loss there. You can even use custom fonts without jailbreaking. There is no way to conveniently manage collections without a jailbreak, though.

There are quite a few other benefits, of course, but that seems to be the most impactful in my opinion.

This post is bang on.

I previously had a KK that had good collections integration with Calibre, then I upgraded to a PW. The integration (with jailbreaking) was sub-par, but has since improved.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Odette posted:

This post is bang on.

I previously had a KK that had good collections integration with Calibre, then I upgraded to a PW. The integration (with jailbreaking) was sub-par, but has since improved.

There's still a weak point: it's impossible to force Calibre to make collections from ePubs. I'm going to dig into the code and see if I can fix that - I managed to make Librarian Sync create collections from ePubs based on folder format.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I have had three Sony e-readers and while they are still going strong with other people, I really didn't like the battery life. I have a Kobo now and that thing is just amazing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

YggiDee posted:

I originally went with Kobo because it was the "Canadian" option (I seem to remember Amazon.ca having a really underwhelming selection or something? ) and by now it's been a few years and it's too late to switch over. I am not re-rebuying all them ebooks.

Also I like my Kobo.

Download them off the internet, you already own them in one form so you don't even have to feel bad about pirating them.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Or just strip the drm.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I wrote a tutorial for installing a few utilities to give you a great navigation/organization scheme for your jailbroken Kindle. Maybe someone here will find it useful.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Calibre with an add on can strip the DRM from Kindle, Overdrive, Kobo and other DRM'd books so the only thing about buying books from the device store is ease of use or cross platform support. If you only ever read on one device and don't mind 30 seconds extra you can use any store.

This is from a while back, not too sure what this means. Are you saying I can download a book from my public library Overdrive, then convert it into a regular non-DRM EPUB/MOBI book file with a Calibre plug-in? What is the plug-in?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Present posted:

This is from a while back, not too sure what this means. Are you saying I can download a book from my public library Overdrive, then convert it into a regular non-DRM EPUB/MOBI book file with a Calibre plug-in? What is the plug-in?

deDRM plugin. I've linked directly to the releases page.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Present posted:

The longer way to do this is to download the DRM'd book (using the Kindle desktop app, Adobe Digital edition etc), load the deDRM plugin to Calibre then just import the DRM'd book file into Calibre. The DRM is stripped out for you automatically.

Now the usual things apply like only do this for a book you own

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So I take it the 2012 Paperwhite isn't getting the new software update? Man, I wanted Bookerly. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Snuffman posted:

So I take it the 2012 Paperwhite isn't getting the new software update? Man, I wanted Bookerly. :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201064850

I think that one has it.

e: Oh no, maybe not. Sorry :( It looks like Bookerly came in with 5.6.5. That's odd, I thought Paperwhites all got the same updates.

chippy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 11, 2016