Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005
I just made my first non-bread maker bread after being inspired by this thread. I used the first lesson recipe from thefreshloaf.com so just flour, salt, yeast, and water.

Kneading is hard work but my dough looked like this.

After rising and shaping I had something like this.

I realise now that I didn't let it rise again after shaping.

But in the end it came out looking not too bad

There's a slight yeasty flavour to it but I'm chalking that up to the lack of a second rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

A friend got me a copy of Ken Forkish's bread book for Christmas and I finally got around to reading some of it this weekend. I've baked bread in the past but my results are usually pretty mediocre, and following just the Saturday white bread recipe resulted in I think the best loaf I've ever made:

I wish it had a bit more in terms of flavor, but it's a heck of an improvement over what I've done before. I'll probably try one of the overnight recipes and incorporating some whole wheat flour next weekend.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Kaine posted:

I just made my first non-bread maker bread after being inspired by this thread. I used the first lesson recipe from thefreshloaf.com so just flour, salt, yeast, and water.

Kneading is hard work but my dough looked like this.

After rising and shaping I had something like this.

I realise now that I didn't let it rise again after shaping.

But in the end it came out looking not too bad

There's a slight yeasty flavour to it but I'm chalking that up to the lack of a second rise.

Not bad for a first attempt, I'd like to share a shaping tip though: if you want to make a batard like that, roll the dough out into a thickish sheet and then roll it up, and while you're rolling, try to stretch the dough a bit. Bread will rise and look better with a bit of tension on the outside. Happy baking!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I BREADED. A no poo poo No Knead flour water salt yeast bread. I gave it an 18 hour rise. Checked it at 12, it was still shaggy and not bubbly at all, but the kitchen had cooled down a bit overnight. It was also a touch dry, so I microwaved a damp towel, put it over the bowl, and plastic-wrapped that. At 18, it was bubbly and stringy, yay, but then I folded and towled it for the second rise, and got minimal, if any, second rise. Baked it anyway, could always feed it to the dog if it didn't work.

It turned out pretty darn good! Would have liked a touch more salt, but didn't want to harm the yeast. Very crisp and crunchy crust, moist and yum inside. Would like a fluffier crumb next time though. It's very dense. I also ate too much of it and am now in a happy carbo-coma.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 27, 2016

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Mikey Purp posted:

Do you guys have any tips for making my starter more sour? I've been using the Tartine method (100% hydration starter fed twice a day with 50/50 whole wheat and bread flour) and it's made fantastic bread, albeit very mild. Chad Robertson explicitly says this should be the case, so I'm not surprised, but I'd really like to make some aggressive SF style sourdough bread.

My current experiment is to create a second starter from the Mother at 50% hydration and fed only rye flour, but any other insight would be welcome.

Late to the party - but if you keep it in the fridge, it will become more sour

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Has anyone tried retarding their fermentation of a Tartine or similar wild yeast dough in the fridge over night? I've tried it twice now and while I like the improved flavor I get nowhere near the same oven spring as baking with a normal rise. Instead of nice big air pockets throughout the whole loaf I only get them on about the outer 1/3rd, and the whole loaf is more dense.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

FireTora posted:

Has anyone tried retarding their fermentation of a Tartine or similar wild yeast dough in the fridge over night? I've tried it twice now and while I like the improved flavor I get nowhere near the same oven spring as baking with a normal rise. Instead of nice big air pockets throughout the whole loaf I only get them on about the outer 1/3rd, and the whole loaf is more dense.

If you retard the fermentation you typically want to let the dough bench rest for 2-3 hours for the yeast to get active again before you shape and proof it.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

If you retard the fermentation you typically want to let the dough bench rest for 2-3 hours for the yeast to get active again before you shape and proof it.

I followed the directions in the Tartine book. He says to retard the fermentation for 8-12 hours in a fridge during the final rise, after you've bench rested and shaped. And the bench rest/shaping is already after 4-5 hours of rising.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

FireTora posted:

I followed the directions in the Tartine book. He says to retard the fermentation for 8-12 hours in a fridge during the final rise, after you've bench rested and shaped. And the bench rest/shaping is already after 4-5 hours of rising.

Huh. In that case the only thing I could really recommend is baking on a stone if you're not already, and getting that stone as hot as your oven will allow before slapping the dough down.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There's a local brewery near me that makes some really amazing beers, but isn't really big on finings or filtration or anything like that, so pretty much everything they produce is cloudy with happy suspended yeast.

Has anyone tried making a starter or poolish with something like that?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

There's a local brewery near me that makes some really amazing beers, but isn't really big on finings or filtration or anything like that, so pretty much everything they produce is cloudy with happy suspended yeast.

Has anyone tried making a starter or poolish with something like that?

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/510/brewing-solid-things-can-leftover-yeast-be-used-for-bread

Sounds like really long rise times to compensate for the differences in beer/bread yeast.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just got a baking steel! Hyped to try it out. It's basically a pizza stone made of iron.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I picked up some sprouted whole wheat flour to play with. Will it generally behave like regular whole wheat flour?

FireTora posted:

if anything shouldn't it spring a little better than usual, on account of the yeast spending more time in the sweet spot before heating to death? in any case I always proof my tartine breads overnight in the fridge and I've had no such problems

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

I picked up some sprouted whole wheat flour to play with. Will it generally behave like regular whole wheat flour?

Nope. It'll give you a lovely crust and weird crumb. It's an amazing additive though, try adding 1-2% to a normal recipe before am autolyse and it'll give you so much spring.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005
Bread number 3 I pretty much destroyed trying to transfer it from the surface I was rising it on to the pizza stone I had in the oven so it collapsed and ended up quite thin and dense.

Bread number 4 turned out a lot better, I added a milk wash this time so I got a nice colour on it.

It's already half gone.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kaine posted:

Bread number 3 I pretty much destroyed trying to transfer it from the surface I was rising it on to the pizza stone I had in the oven so it collapsed and ended up quite thin and dense.

When I first started making bread I had better luck proofing on parchment paper, and then I'd just slide it from the counter to the pizza peel to the pizza stone on the paper. It's not perfect technique but it got the job done without mangling the bread while I got the hang of it

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Nope. It'll give you a lovely crust and weird crumb. It's an amazing additive though, try adding 1-2% to a normal recipe before am autolyse and it'll give you so much spring.

I'm doing the tartine flax+sunflower whole wheat bread today so we'll see how this goes

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Go on...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
7g yeast.
14g salt.
100g sourdough.
700g water.
100g organic Øland wheat, whole grain.
700g organic Øland wheat, sifted.

Kneaded on the KitchenAid for, let's say 15 minutes. Cold rised in the fridge for 60-ish hours. Dusted with whole grain durum. Baked at 250C on my new baking steel for 15 minutes.

To be perfectly honest, I think it should've baked a little shorter. I made some the day before that were softer, and somehow more moist. But this one was by far the most photogenic. :)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My mother, the bread machine queen, is now a no-knead convert. VICTORY. She absolutely loves the crispy crust we get with the no-knead. But I must say, the bread machine has it's place for easy whole wheat and oatmeal sandwich loaves.

She's even letting me use her old Club Aluminum roaster for our breadsperiments. Works perfectly.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 8, 2016

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
Is it a bit heretical that the loaves I've been enjoying the most are the no-knead overnight and the equally no-knead English muffin bread?? I feel like it's cheating somehow but they're both so good. It's not that I mind kneading, it's just that they make life so much easier especially when I'm the one who does all the cooking!

Amazing English Muffin Bread for sandwiches and toast:

2 cups warm milk
1 cup of water
4 1/2 tsp yeast (just regular type)
1 tablespoon of sugar

Combine above, let sit five minutes

In a bowl whisk:

5-6 cups of flour
1 tsp salt

Make a well in the flour/salt mixture and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir everything together until it becomes a sticky batter-like dough. Let it sit covered in the bowl for half an hour.

Grease two loaf pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. Divide the dough mixture into two and pat them down into the loaf pans with floured hands. Sprinkle the tops of the loaves with cornmeal, cover and let rise until they've doubled in size.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Is it a bit heretical that the loaves I've been enjoying the most are the no-knead overnight and the equally no-knead English muffin bread?? I feel like it's cheating somehow but they're both so good. It's not that I mind kneading, it's just that they make life so much easier especially when I'm the one who does all the cooking!

Amazing English Muffin Bread for sandwiches and toast:

2 cups warm milk
1 cup of water
4 1/2 tsp yeast (just regular type)
1 tablespoon of sugar

Combine above, let sit five minutes

In a bowl whisk:

5-6 cups of flour
1 tsp salt

Make a well in the flour/salt mixture and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir everything together until it becomes a sticky batter-like dough. Let it sit covered in the bowl for half an hour.

Grease two loaf pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. Divide the dough mixture into two and pat them down into the loaf pans with floured hands. Sprinkle the tops of the loaves with cornmeal, cover and let rise until they've doubled in size.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.

Hell no. One of the things I love about no knead is that it gives better results for less effort.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I made a thing to make bread on. I made flat rye bread as the first thing I made on this. But no real pics of it, turned out kinda ugly looking. Bagged it up and froze it, you can see it partly in the picture:

I dunno how much it helps contain flour spills and such with the low sides but i can use that area of the stove for kneading and such now, before I had to use the table or clear space elsewhere.

Low profile so it can be stored like this:

Still some no knead bread is next, it's just so fantastic.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
:ohdear: that looks like a house fire waiting to happen. It's a nice tray, but placing flammable stuff on the stove is a really bad habit IMHO.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's an induction stove top, so it can't even be turned on without something ferrous over it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Aaaah, that makes sense. Carry on then. :)

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I made a thing to make bread on. I made flat rye bread as the first thing I made on this. But no real pics of it, turned out kinda ugly looking. Bagged it up and froze it, you can see it partly in the picture:

I dunno how much it helps contain flour spills and such with the low sides but i can use that area of the stove for kneading and such now, before I had to use the table or clear space elsewhere.

Low profile so it can be stored like this:

Still some no knead bread is next, it's just so fantastic.

Do you have room in the storage area to add another piece on the front bottom to make it act as a bench hook (maybe have to google up an image if you're not familiar). Does it not slide around like crazy on the stove-top (or do you have some anti-slip stuff underneath)?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't have anything like that, I just but it against the wall and that works real well I think.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

therattle posted:

Hell no. One of the things I love about no knead is that it gives better results for less effort.

It's true. No-knead is literally the best, most satisfying bread I've ever eaten. Especially with Kalamata olives baked in.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i took my first stab at a bread from the forkish book today. it's the double-fed levain bread which also includes some instant yeast

The first loaf I did the Tartine way (folds on the bottom, scored the top, 20 minutes with the lid on and ~25 minutes without in an oven preheated to 500 and then turned down to 450. It came out perfect:

The second loaf I tried the forkish way, which calls for the oven preheated to 475 and left there, 30 minutes with the lid on and 15-20 minutes (!) without, unscored but with the creases in the dough on top. Unsurprisingly I guess, it was ready to start burning 5-10 minutes after I took the lid off. Also the creases didn't open up much and it looks like poo poo compared to this one. I'm not even taking a picture of it :colbert:. What's the deal? Why does this book tell you to cook it so long, and at a higher temperature? If the humidity is most important in the first 15-20 minutes why leave the lid on so long?

Also, I followed the recipe to the letter, including water temperatures, etc. and the dough temperature was exactly where the book said it should be when I began bulk fermentation. I weighed the 2g of instant yeast on a scale with a resolution of 10mg to be sure I wasn't overdoing it. The book says this should rise slowly and take about 5 hours to rise 2.5x but I ended up having to rush it into the refrigerator for proofing at about 2 hours because it was already risen at least 2.5x. The loaf pictured above is awesome, probably my best white bread to date, but I'm sure I'm missing out on some flavor due to the rushed bulk fermentation. What should I make of this? Are my yeasts overachievers? I'll cut back on the temperature a bit I guess. Should I cut back on the yeast as well?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 9, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

It's true. No-knead is literally the best, most satisfying bread I've ever eaten. Especially with Kalamata olives baked in.
Is there a certain hydration you don't want to pass when adding fillers to a no-kneed? I see references to 50%, but I like a hell of a lot more water than that.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

therattle posted:

I'm definitely on the train as a no knead convert as well. I like to stand in the kitchen and knead bread, but since I have switched to no knead, I have baked more loaves of bread than I ever have. Every 3 or 4 days, i spend 5 minutes mixing everything the night before, next morning, 2 minutes to shape and put on pan, then bake a couple hours later.

I'm having a few consistency problems though. Using the no knead from the OP. All my measurements are within 1 gram of the recipe, my overnight time is always 10 to 10 1/2 hours and proofing is 1:50 to 2 hours. But some loaves seem to spread out more on the pan when proofing and don't get the rise that others get. They are still tasty, but just makes slim, long sandwiches.

One of my prettier loaves that I baked last week:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

its definitely really strenuous turning my dough 4-5 times for 20 seconds during bulk fermentation

e: i was given a copy of the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book from 1984 and it goes into detail on Desem bread, which I guess is the flemish take on levain bread, but using only whole wheat/grains and with a fairly different method. I'm intrugued because I send half of all the bread I make to my grandmother, who is flemish/belgian, from a family that included a number of bakers before WW2, so I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Has anyone tried it? Are the results different enough to justify starting/maintaining another culture?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 11, 2016

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Mr. Wookums posted:

Is there a certain hydration you don't want to pass when adding fillers to a no-kneed? I see references to 50%, but I like a hell of a lot more water than that.

I don't really think about it much. With the olives I just make the bread as usual and mix them in at the beginning. It's never gone wrong.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I decided not to think about it much as well. 100g olives, 100g feta, roughly 65-70% hydration with 550g bread flour. Shall see how it goes.

Does anyone mill/sift their own flour?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I took another stab at the tartine sunflower+flax whole wheat loaf and this time it turned out really good. The first time was kind of a mess for a few reasons, the most eggregious being that RL poo poo interfered with my bread schedule and I got started a few hours late and the leaven had gone far too sour for this. This time around I made sure to use a young levain and proof conservatively at room temperature and it turned out perfect. The flax makes the crumb really moist and you can actually taste the flax and sunflower seeds this time.

I also cut back on the boiling water added to the flax by half a cup. My first attempt ended up really wet and was hard enough to handle that rolling the tops of the shaped dough in sunflower seeds was extremely unrealistic. It was much easier to handle this time

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Mr. Wookums posted:

Does anyone mill/sift their own flour?

My crazy foodie friends do.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I know some people who live in the countryside who grow grain and make flour from that.

Anyway made a boule

About 10-15% rye

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'd like to mill my own flour at some point, but I work on a farm and we have a small mill on hand. I'm also loving INSANE. But darn it, this acorn flour wont magic it's self into existence for my weird experiments.

Gorgeous. Looks like you got Pride Rock jutting out of it. Crumb shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Buttermilk sandwich loaf

185 g buttermilk or scalded regular milk
31 g butter
68 g of egg
450 g flour
49 g sugar
2 t kosher salt
2.5 tsp yeast