Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I hope the plot suggests that Tamiyo's stayed behind to establish an Innistradian astronomical society that ends up serving as the Miskatonic University stand-in to help the Power Rangers fight off whichever Great Old Ones have taken up residence on the moon. I hope her card has her looking just delighted in a big colonial-style coat and tricon hat. I care more about this being true than I have about any MTG plot fluff since I was a kid buying those Tempest comics.

EDIT: I also hope it's not more Eldrazi, but rather a Dagon analogue that begins to spread corruption and madness across the plane from Nephalia, but I know better than to expect that. But c'mon, humans transforming into Merfolk! We can say it's spurned on by the tides and there's your moon connection.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's possible that Nahiri is just trying to lure Emrakul to Innistrad to eat the plane in order to get back at Sorin. That way we won't necessarily get Eldrazi in this block, but the looming threat of Emrakul is still there. A win for creative without making players tired of seeing more Eldrazi in booster packs.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

The line for "too good" is much higher than many people in this thread view it as if we're calling a perfectly fine card like Dismember too good.

As I said, I don't think it's degenerate, although I think it's fair to say that having access to an efficient removal spell was pretty useful for the Eldrazi decks. It's too good in that it does something black is supposed to be the best at better than any actual black spell

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

As I said, I don't think it's degenerate, although I think it's fair to say that having access to an efficient removal spell was pretty useful for the Eldrazi decks. It's too good in that it does something black is supposed to be the best at better than any actual black spell

Isn't it a black spell though?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I'm not sure how fair it is to say it's better than black removal given that decks that have access to in-color removal generally don't run it. 4 life is a very relevant cost that does impose meaningful limits on how the card can be used.

Sickening posted:

Technically yes, but the whole point of the card is that it can be cast by decks without access to black mana.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Only if you're playing Commander.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dismember is better in black decks because as soon as you use it on something you can use Extirpate and then they're screwed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

If you take away Dismember, Eldrazi decks still have access to a really good removal spell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

Only if you're playing Commander.

Or when cast against something with protection from black.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think "this spell is strictly better in a deck with actual access to black mana" does a good enough job of defending black's honor at being better at removal, but that's just my opinion :shrug:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Snuff out is a close parallel to Dismember - you may pay 4 life instead of the mana cost, it kills most but not all creatures. But Snuff Out, and the other cards in its cycle, requires that you control a Swamp to cast it. The Phyrexian spells do not.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It wouldn't have been as splashy, but phyrexian mana probably should have been tied to generic mana costs instead of the colored component.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

whydirt posted:

It wouldn't have been as splashy, but phyrexian mana probably should have never been printed.

FTFY.

I actually agree with your original post too.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

whydirt posted:

It wouldn't have been as splashy, but phyrexian mana probably should have been tied to generic mana costs instead of the colored component.

I'd say do it the other way around: have Phyrexian mana cost either 1 mana of the correct color, or 2 life and 1 generic mana. That way you can still put Phyrexian mana cards into off-color decks as intended, but in a way that is much, much easier to balance.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

rabidsquid posted:

Dismember is better in black decks because as soon as you use it on something you can use Extirpate and then they're screwed.

The best part is you don't need to be a black deck to run the best Extirpa wait that was the joke wasn't it

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'd say do it the other way around: have Phyrexian mana cost either 1 mana of the correct color, or 2 life and 1 generic mana. That way you can still put Phyrexian mana cards into off-color decks as intended, but in a way that is much, much easier to balance.

That's an interesting idea. It probably would have been balanced, and consequently we wouldn't be seeing it all the time in Eternal like we do with Phyrexian mana now.

I think it's funny to compare the Boon cycle to one-mana Phyrexian spells.

Healing Salve, Marrow Shards - Never played
Ancestral Recall, Mental Misstep - Banned
Dark Ritual, Surgical Extraction - One is a combo piece, the other is a sideboard card
Lightning Bolt, Gut Shot - One is a staple card, the other sees enough play to make Frank Lepore sad
Giant Growth, Mutagenic Growth - Both see play in Infect, although Giant Growth is falling out of favour

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Unrelated: I think my favorite thing to do in Magic might just be sniping creatures out from under equipment to make your opponent waste the equip mana. It's such a little thing, but it can gently caress up somebody's entire turn.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i have a hard time summoning enthusiasm for magic lore, even lore as cool as innistrad's, after how incredibly loving stupid the oath storyline was

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mutagenic Growth is probably the best turn 2 kill enabler in modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

Unrelated: I think my favorite thing to do in Magic might just be sniping creatures out from under equipment to make your opponent waste the equip mana. It's such a little thing, but it can gently caress up somebody's entire turn.

My favorite thing is Hurkyl's Recalling a bad Affinity player out of the game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chamale posted:

Giant Growth, Mutagenic Growth - Both see play in Infect, although Giant Growth is falling out of favour

I don't think anyone has played Giant Growth in a long time?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i have a hard time summoning enthusiasm for magic lore, even lore as cool as innistrad's, after how incredibly loving stupid the oath storyline was

Oh poo poo I figured out how to beat an evil Avacyn:

Wombo combo.

although can you imagine the balls on Wizards Creative if they do actually have Chandra casually drop by in Eldritch Moon and just burn the antagonists?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

although can you imagine the balls on Wizards Creative if they do actually have Chandra casually drop by in Eldritch Moon and just burn the antagonists?

I mean she did it to Ob, then two Eldrazi Titans.
So she's basically the Magic Universe's Burninator.

I'm not seeing the issue.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I kindof hope every problem is resolved in an equally anti-climactic in-game fashion. Once Liliana joins half the villains will just end up Dying to Doom Blade.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gideon shows up on New Phyrexia and pokes the Phyrexians with a pointed stick, destroying them forever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jace makes eye contact with Sorin, losing the opportunity to cast his spell and loses the duel, but gains a lover.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pointed Stick -- 1
Mythic Rare
Artifact -- Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+0.
Equipped creature gets +0/+2 as long as it's a planeswalker.
Equip 1

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

As if Bonesplitter is ever coming back

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

to be honest, i'd like that

just burn everything, make Jaya proud Chandra

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

As if Bonesplitter is ever coming back

Good point, it's a playable one-drop and standard can't have those.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Jaya has the best flavor text.

Red in general just has really good flavor text.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mandatory lesbian posted:

They come across a creature that Chandra is unable to burninate. Jaya comes by and they tag team the creature with double fire. Unfortunately they also incinerate all the other, shittier planeswalkers so Jaya and Chandra need to go on a planeswalker roadtrip to collect more planeswalkers and teach them fire.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Affinity plays like two cards with the Affinity ability these days, guess the name is really sticky

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lancelot posted:

the first set is a direct riff off Shadow over Innsmouth and you think guy it's a coincidence they use the word "eldritch"?

I think there's a non-zero chance that the eldritch horror isn't an eldrazi and is instead some innistradian thing. I don't think it's high, I would like it to be emrakul/something eldrazi in the story. I don't think eldrazi will show up in the cards, however.

Ramos posted:

Yes, but Magic runs off of pop culture and eldritch = Lovecraftian bullshit at this point. And Eldrazi are Lovecraftian bullshit.

I agree, but they're not the only lovecraftian bullshit that could possibly show up. I think it is quite possible that something creepy like The King in Yellow could show up, which is lovecraftian, which is mentioned in the cthulu mythos IIRC, but is not Emrakul.

I think the strongest argument I can make for eldrazi not showing up in Innistrad is that they have pretty much kept all of their planes to themselves outside of planeswalkers. Ugin and Nahiri and Sorin connect Zendikar, but Liliana, Garruk, and now Jace will connect Innistrad to like, 20 planes, so that's not necessarily a thing.

I expect Emrakul to show up. I just don't think it's 100% guaranteed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like to think the plot of Shadows block will be that Nahiri is really pissed at Sorin, so she decides to lure Emrakul to Innistrad, and then seal her away in a big rear end hedron.

The big rear end hedron is the Eldritch Moon, and Nahiri struck a deal with Tammy Moonsocks to whisk the Old Moon away to make way for a new, Eldritch Moon.

This kills the Sorin.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
No more clash packs or event decks.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

End of Life Guy posted:

No more clash packs or event decks.

Welp! Whoever it was that was hoping they'd reprint Jace in one of these, I'm sorry to disappoint.

Really, half the reason Thragtusk wasn't even more expensive is that it got printed in like three of these things. I think this might cause even more expensive cards, down the line.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Here's a good way to put spoilers: You're releasing a story chapter by chapter. You're about seven out of thirty chapters into the story released, when all of a sudden someone you trusted with the work releases chapter 16 which has a huge plot twist. The news spreads and people are disheartened because they feel the plot twist came out of nowhere. Except they haven't had the chance to see nine chapters' worth of build up.

blogatog is good

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Minority Deport posted:

Welp! Whoever it was that was hoping they'd reprint Jace in one of these, I'm sorry to disappoint.

Really, half the reason Thragtusk wasn't even more expensive is that it got printed in like three of these things. I think this might cause even more expensive cards, down the line.

Certainly they're going to do some other kind of supplemental product... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Here's a good way to put spoilers: You're releasing a story chapter by chapter. You're about seven out of thirty chapters into the story released, when all of a sudden someone you trusted with the work releases chapter 16 which has a huge plot twist. The news spreads and people are disheartened because they feel the plot twist came out of nowhere. Except they haven't had the chance to see nine chapters' worth of build up.

blogatog is good

He's not entirely wrong, except he's not getting the takeaway that you should let people read the work at a reasonable pace rather than sit on finished work for months because you think it "builds hype" or some poo poo.

also lol at comparing OGW or the storyline of which it's part to a thirty-volume work after Wizards murdered the concepts of dramatic buildup and satisfying resolution and pissed on their graves

• Locked thread