Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

scamtank posted:

Yeah, TWBT does that. Did you actually play further than the main menu?

I tried genning a world and it was still in ASCII. I turned off DFHack and later turned off TWBT for other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It stays ASCII until you're actually in the game.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

If you you enable TWBT in the starter pack, then you have to set your FONT and FULL FONT options to match your tileset (or at least I had to) or it will stay in ascii. that can be done in the init or one of the lnp window panes. I'm not at my pc so I can't check.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Did Toady ever improve the massive slowdown in biomes that have a lot of growing things compared to around April of last year?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Flesh Forge posted:

Did Toady ever improve the massive slowdown in biomes that have a lot of growing things compared to around April of last year?

Nope. Still tons of fruit and leaves to bog down your framerate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've never noticed a slowdown recently.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

It used to be that when you accused a vampire in Adventure Mode, everybody who was around would jump in and help you but I'm accusing a bard in a tavern and no one is helping me. In fact, a couple of other tavern patrons get lethal on ME instead of the vampire. I mean, the guy confirmed it himself, why aren't you attacking him?

Looks like I either need to get a band together or stalk the dude.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So I just started playing this again, after a long time of barely playing it/not playing it at all.

How do I deal with dwarves suspending a workshop's construction because there's a rock or whatever in the way?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

So I just started playing this again, after a long time of barely playing it/not playing it at all.

How do I deal with dwarves suspending a workshop's construction because there's a rock or whatever in the way?

Forbid and unforbid the rock. Normally if there's something in the way of the site, a dwarf will move it, but if another dwarf is set to get it for a different job they can't. Forbidding and unforbidding cancels whatever task it was being claimed for so your builder can move it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Masterwork seems to have completely stalled, what's up with that.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Meph just loves to BIIIIIICYCLE

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scamtank posted:

Meph just loves to BIIIIIICYCLE

iirc the dude bikes around entire countries.

I honestly want to know what he does that allows him free time to mod DF and to take months at a time to bike around different countries.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leal posted:

I honestly want to know what he does that allows him free time to mod DF and to take months at a time to bike around different countries.

Nothing at all, based on that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Holy poo poo

accidentally dug down to the caverns too quickly, had a mini panic moment when I had to figure out how to block them off because they're filled with ant people and animals

and then while I was doing that I saw this cave crocodile bite off the heads of like 6 ant people in a row

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 7, 2016

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Leal posted:

I know techies who work extremely (like a cabin in the woods) remotely. Programmer would not surprise me at all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen a giant cave spider in fortress mode :(
funny story, my first game after returning to dwarf fortress today I dug down to caverns too quickly and 2 giant cave spiders murdered my miners before spring ended

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
My dwarves seem to be running back and forth between my temple and my finished good stockpile. It looks like the instruments in the temple storage keep getting cycled between one of the boxes in the temple and the finished goods stockpile... is that a known bug?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

My dwarves seem to be running back and forth between my temple and my finished good stockpile. It looks like the instruments in the temple storage keep getting cycled between one of the boxes in the temple and the finished goods stockpile... is that a known bug?

I've had that same problem but with blank quires and scrolls.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I view world gen being in ascii as another feature of TWBT. Tiles just make worldgen worse, not better.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Can I use a save from 40_24 in 42_05?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

hailthefish posted:

I view world gen being in ascii as another feature of TWBT. Tiles just make worldgen worse, not better.

Originally TWBT didn't revert to ASCII for world gen. It was a good day when it got changed.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

I think they are compatible. Can't hurt to try (with a backup).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why did a dwarf with no labors enabled besides mining decide to go harvest plants :psyduck:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why did a dwarf with no labors enabled besides mining decide to go harvest plants :psyduck:

e: oh, now he won't do anything. but when I look ingame instead of in dwarf therapist, it says he has mining disabled... why did dwarf therapist display it as active?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, Toady says so. The last no-go breaking point was 0.40.03. Anything past that should be fair game.

e: toady has a reputation for being completely opaque on things, but release_notes.txt and file_changes.txt are both pretty well curated documents

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 8, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Like farm plants? All dwarves do that if you don't set the option to have them not.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh, alright. I suppose that makes sense?

in other news trying to wrangle with both the military system and migrant waves has gotten me to the point where I'm just quitting for today, jesus christ. I'm probably just gonna split dwarves into "food make dwarves", "wood/stone stuff dwarves", "smith dwarves" and "soldiers" because otherwise I will lose my mind

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I want to play with the cutting edge pack but it crashes before month 4 every time. Not on the same day or anything specific. How do I diagnose this? I just want to use autolabor and the extra construction options (like build a hollow rectangle of walls).

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

Like farm plants? All dwarves do that if you don't set the option to have them not.

by the way, never turn that off. There is literally no reason to not have everyone harvest plants, since it doesn't train any labors.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Once upon a time you'd turn it off to maximize food production because skilled herbalists harvest bigger stacks and you didn't want ham-handed slobs ruining your harvest. Now the game dumps so much food at you that I don't bother setting up a farm for years and even then its primary purpose is cloth.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

IronicDongz posted:

Oh, alright. I suppose that makes sense?

in other news trying to wrangle with both the military system and migrant waves has gotten me to the point where I'm just quitting for today, jesus christ. I'm probably just gonna split dwarves into "food make dwarves", "wood/stone stuff dwarves", "smith dwarves" and "soldiers" because otherwise I will lose my mind

Maybe it'll be helpful, maybe it won't, but here's how I break things down. I usually embark with two peasants (the miners), a maxed grower, a maxed cooker/brewer (who mostly mines and has the Farmhand profile [see below] in the beginning), a maxed armor- and weaponsmith (who mostly works cheap, necessary crafts/mechanics in the beginning), a maxed mason with social skills including a level of appraising (the expedition leader/broker), and a maxed carpenter who is also an unskilled wood cutter.

I have a small handful of labor profiles in Therapist. "Farmhand" has most farming, livestock, and plant-processing jobs, with the exception of herbalist, grower, brewer, and cook, who are all dedicated single dwarves. "Laborer" has all of the non-agriculture, non-skilled labors, plus crafting for the non-profiled workshops and smelting. "Hauler" is just that: no skills beyond hauling, architecture, and whatever else is at the far right of the skill graph. I need to add a "Scholar" or "Librarian" or "Intern" position, but I haven't messed with libraries enough. I pick a manager/bookkeeper out of the first migrant wave as well as a dedicated engraver who immediately starts training by smoothing out critical areas until they're legendary. I also pick a dedicated fisher out of the first or second wave and no one else is allowed to fish (the farmhand processes the fish). All defense for the first two waves is bridge- and trap-based. Early on, anyone with decent doctor skills get all doctor jobs and nothing else (except the Chief Medical Dwarf title). If someone shows up with decent jewelrymaking/cutting, that's their job. Otherwise, it's thrown on a Laborer. All forging tasks are handled by the Smith, until someone with decent skills in a smithing skill shows up to share some of that responsibility. The first couple hunters can hunt and are also assigned to making cheap bolts.

That's your first two migrant waves, managed down to the micron. Barring unusually small groups, you can assign and start training up dedicated dwarves right away with a Farmhand and Laborer or two along the way. These are your core dwarves, and once necessities are established, these motherfuckers should be made as happy as you can get them. Then comes the fodder!

I don't mind giant migrant waves because I don't mind idle dwarves and I am completely okay with dead ones. I immediately pause and turns off all labors, then assign 2 Farmhands, 2 Laborers, and 2 Haulers right away out of any given wave of useless assholes. If there's a skilled labor I'm missing, a correspondingly skilled (or more skilled) dwarf gets to live inside. Immediately profile important shops and start making redundant, low-quality shops for mass production. Another grower can be trained. But the majority of this 20-dwarf wave will learn that Service Guarantees Citizenship. This squad doesn't really matter, militarily, and use whatever crap you've churned out to sell so far, if any. Throw them at early, simple threats above and below with lots of protection from the same trap/bridge defense. The few survivors will either be a crippled drain on the fort (which can afford it by now), or will train the more useful future conscripts. I usually start work on the Tombs and the field hospital around wave 3.

The same pattern applies wave after wave. A couple peasants, a lot of cheap military getting stabbed. Who cares if they're perfectly clothed in shining steel armor? These are hardy colonial motherfuckers and don't have time to worry about the opinions of aesthetes. It's dirty and it's hard and it's ugly on the frontier. Grab a sword and stab an ant person. Welcome to loving Warmbodice.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

PublicOpinion posted:

Once upon a time you'd turn it off to maximize food production because skilled herbalists harvest bigger stacks and you didn't want ham-handed slobs ruining your harvest. Now the game dumps so much food at you that I don't bother setting up a farm for years and even then its primary purpose is cloth.
I thought it was the skill of the planter that decided stack size of the crop in that tile. Doesn't really matter either way. I tend to do a lot of farming for my booze, fabric, and roast industries.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Hey, I started playing this game recently because I've always liked the stories and decided I might as well get started. I am still on my first fort, which at one point had 80+ dwarfs, until a werejackal attacked and soon I had multiple dwarfs turning into werejackals and I had to look up in the wiki how to lock doors. Eventually I put all the werejackals into a squad and sent them to fight everything on the map, which killed all but one of them and he's currently locked in the hospital and is on constant "rest" despite being healed, he even refused to get up when Goblins sieged the castle and killed like 20 dwarfs, so hopefully he starves or dehydrates soon, I had to build a second hospital in the middle of what was supposed to be a farm plot. At this point I have like 10 adult dwarfs and 15 kids or babies left (this includes 4 adults from the latest migrant wave) so hopefully I can build up the population again before some other werething wipes me out. Thanks for the guide on the first page, between that and the dwarf fortress wiki I had enough info to get started and then look up what I needed. I took too long to figure out metal making (by then everyone was too dead to do anything with it, but maybe I'll have enough dwarfs to get that going again if I don't die) and I have a hallway with 100 coffins in it.

Notable things that have happened:
I was attacked by a were-squirrel that had one victim, both of which disappeared from the map until I realized they had dropped down one level and were at the bottom of a lake somehow, where their bodies remain to this day.

A dwarf gave birth to a baby who somehow was in a tree, she could never find him and now he is a ghost. Good job, tree baby.

It took FOREVER to get the stupid dwarfs to make alcohol for some reason, then they finally did so. I have no idea why the manager kept cancelling the jobs then stopped cancelling them.

The dwarven traders had all their wagons disappear somehow(they appear to be in the trading post but are listed as "missing", so they and all their crap is strewn all around the place. They didn't even help when the goblins attacked, all they are doing is clogging up space in the view units tabs. Is this a bug or am I supposed to do something?

My fort is poorly designed because I was learning as I go, and I already know how I'll lay out things differently next time. I also haven't figured out how to use traps yet, so that will be my next big project. I am currently using no mods or tilesets, but I might use both after another fort or two, we'll see.

One other thing, many of the animals brought by various waves of migrants eventually starved, am I correct in guessing they should have been assigned to an area to graze? I put the latest crop of animals in a pasture outside (along with a chimp I bought from the elves) so we'll see if that keeps them from starving.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Hey, I started playing this game recently because I've always liked the stories and decided I might as well get started. I am still on my first fort, which at one point had 80+ dwarfs, until a werejackal attacked and soon I had multiple dwarfs turning into werejackals and I had to look up in the wiki how to lock doors. Eventually I put all the werejackals into a squad and sent them to fight everything on the map, which killed all but one of them and he's currently locked in the hospital and is on constant "rest" despite being healed, he even refused to get up when Goblins sieged the castle and killed like 20 dwarfs, so hopefully he starves or dehydrates soon, I had to build a second hospital in the middle of what was supposed to be a farm plot. At this point I have like 10 adult dwarfs and 15 kids or babies left (this includes 4 adults from the latest migrant wave) so hopefully I can build up the population again before some other werething wipes me out. Thanks for the guide on the first page, between that and the dwarf fortress wiki I had enough info to get started and then look up what I needed. I took too long to figure out metal making (by then everyone was too dead to do anything with it, but maybe I'll have enough dwarfs to get that going again if I don't die) and I have a hallway with 100 coffins in it.

Notable things that have happened:
I was attacked by a were-squirrel that had one victim, both of which disappeared from the map until I realized they had dropped down one level and were at the bottom of a lake somehow, where their bodies remain to this day.

A dwarf gave birth to a baby who somehow was in a tree, she could never find him and now he is a ghost. Good job, tree baby.

It took FOREVER to get the stupid dwarfs to make alcohol for some reason, then they finally did so. I have no idea why the manager kept cancelling the jobs then stopped cancelling them.

The dwarven traders had all their wagons disappear somehow(they appear to be in the trading post but are listed as "missing", so they and all their crap is strewn all around the place. They didn't even help when the goblins attacked, all they are doing is clogging up space in the view units tabs. Is this a bug or am I supposed to do something?

My fort is poorly designed because I was learning as I go, and I already know how I'll lay out things differently next time. I also haven't figured out how to use traps yet, so that will be my next big project. I am currently using no mods or tilesets, but I might use both after another fort or two, we'll see.

One other thing, many of the animals brought by various waves of migrants eventually starved, am I correct in guessing they should have been assigned to an area to graze? I put the latest crop of animals in a pasture outside (along with a chimp I bought from the elves) so we'll see if that keeps them from starving.

Brewing: maybe you were out of barrels?

Traders: now is the time to learn how to pump magma up from the magma sea to solve this problem.

Tilesets: I would recommend getting a square version of the default ASCII, because despite what haters might say, DF is supposed to look like this, but not at the weird stretched aspect ratio the non-square tiles give it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

How's the graphic mods/UI these days? Assume my house plays Prison Architect for baseline.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

werejackel stuff

I was watching an LP recently and the guy walled off a werebear dwarf into a room near the beginning. A couple of in game years later and the thing was still living so I'm guessing on shape-shifting-change hunger and thirst values fill back to maximum. This was on an older build so I can't say for sure if the newer ones have changed that behavior in any way.

I went back and found the exact videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjVsDTgRwJk A dwarf child was bitten and walled in. Years and years went by as this little girl was locked up all alone to deal with the terrible curse. He then did a cool little sketch about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMhDCpNejCg She was bit around age ten if I remember correctly and by the time the series ended she was like a hundred something. I guess werecreatures have some speed aging processes as well. Anyway kind of a ramble but I enjoyed this bit of in depth lore so figured id share.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nice Klingon Fortress.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Yay! He "won" the "Election" - This was in no way a coup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Thanks, I'll probably do a pretty similar thing.

When I press F1, my camera moves to where I started-can I set other points like this to keys?