Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sadly there is just straight up no one there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

omg chael crash posted:

Sadly there is just straight up no one there

Try again later. It's either packed (no pun intended) or dead empty, and that status changes at a moment's notice. Can't help you on DC, but if you have an EP character that needs a bite, I got mine at the moment.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, you're right about that. Just logged in now and there a few people bopping around. Just going to stay here and wait until I hear more people talking.

I actually already have an EP wolf -- it's my alt. Not super played right now.

Also, Jack, that was me messaging you about the potions last night. I think I want to devote an entire weekend to grind out some ranks with the potions. Going away soon, though, so it won't be for a few weeks.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

omg chael crash posted:

Also, Jack, that was me messaging you about the potions last night. I think I want to devote an entire weekend to grind out some ranks with the potions. Going away soon, though, so it won't be for a few weeks.

Ah, I was wondering who that was. Thought it was a random who heard me in area chat. Yeah, just let me know when you want some.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Scyantific posted:

I'm not sure how it works on PS4, but on PC most people just hand out bites for free, and those that want to make a quick buck off of them are laughed off the zone chat.\

Pfft, I remember at launch bites of both types were being sold for tens of thousands of gold.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Pfft, I remember at launch bites of both types were being sold for tens of thousands of gold.

Yeah, because at launch next to no one had one. Now that everyone has at least one character with a bite, they're not worth anything.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Been casually playing Thieves Guild on PTS most the evening, pretty cool stuff. Also I have been thinking this since working my way (slowly) through Orsinium but like with Abah's Landing, its real cool how there's a much better sense of vertical space with all the new areas they are putting out. Like comparing Orsinium and Abah's with like, Mournhold you can feel the improvement.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

What exactly goes into building up my ultimate meter? I feel like it never charges any more since I changed specs. Is it based on what skills I'm using?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

What exactly goes into building up my ultimate meter? I feel like it never charges any more since I changed specs. Is it based on what skills I'm using?

Ultimate builds by:

-Hitting things with basic weapon attacks (which is why most of us say "learn to weave your attacks between skills")
-Getting hit
-Healing someone who's getting hit

There are other things that increase the amount of ultimate gained per engagement, things like the Fighter's Guild passives that add 9 ultimate per daedra killed, Nightblade passives that add 15 ultimate for drinking a potion or using a Siphoning skill, or using Heroic Slash in the Sword and Board tree which grants you Minor Heroism (there's one passive bonus in the Mage constellation of Champion points that gives you Major Heroism for going under 20% health).

E:
2 days, 5 veteran ranks, 60,000 Tel Var, 5 trophy vault keys, 1 Robust Agility Ring, and 3 Hakeijo runes. It's great that you can get all of this stuff when you have your own farming campaign.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 8, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What do I need to be doing as I level up to keep crafting skills up to par? Here's a list of what I'm doing now, but I'm wondering what I am missing/unaware of:

-Stash greens from leveling and use them on research.
-Deconstruct things once in awhile.
-Construct some gear for myself when I have the mats to make something level-appropriate.
-Always check wardrobes, trunks, nightstands, drawers, etc. for collecting all of the racial motifs.

I've only started clothing, but have yet to do anything else. How many professions can I take on? Is there a limit like there is in WoW? Are there any fast ways to powerlevel the professions? Finally, are there any good comprehensive database/guide sites out there for this game? (Something like WoWHead.com is what I have in mind.)

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Check the OP for deconstruct circlejerk - it's probably still the most efficient method of leveling crafting. As to having them all, perfectly possible if you can get by with fewer points in combat skills - try to look up builds that take minimum and give it a go.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Siets posted:

What do I need to be doing as I level up to keep crafting skills up to par? Here's a list of what I'm doing now, but I'm wondering what I am missing/unaware of:

-Stash greens from leveling and use them on research.
-Deconstruct things once in awhile.
-Construct some gear for myself when I have the mats to make something level-appropriate.
-Always check wardrobes, trunks, nightstands, drawers, etc. for collecting all of the racial motifs.

I've only started clothing, but have yet to do anything else. How many professions can I take on? Is there a limit like there is in WoW? Are there any fast ways to powerlevel the professions? Finally, are there any good comprehensive database/guide sites out there for this game? (Something like WoWHead.com is what I have in mind.)

Advice from a master crafter: Microsoft Excel is your best friend. Make a spreadsheet graph for woodworking, clothing, and blacksmithing, with the weapon/armor type along the top and the trait down the left side. For traits you know or are researching, but an X in the intersection, and if you have a trait in your inventory you don't know yet, but don't have a free research slot, throw it on a mule and put an O in that intersection. This way, you always have a new trait ready to research, and you can keep track of what you need and already have.

The next step is deconstructing. DECONSTRUCT EVERYTHING! Unless, of course, you need it for research. White, green, blue, purple, or gold. Doesn't matter. If you're not researching it or wearing it right this second, break it. If it's ornate, you can sell it if you want, but I'd recommend breaking it either way. Intricate trait equipment will give you a big bonus to experience when you break it down, and if you want to get a lot of these, go run the Imperial Sewers. They drop like loving rain there.

Always refine raw material whenever you have enough. You should never have more than ten of any raw material on you at a time.

Last, and most important, do your writs every day. These not only give you a boost in each skill line, but the rewards are always an ornate or, even better, and intricate piece of equipment.

E: Here's a picture of my spreadsheet setup, in case my description was terrible.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 8, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Super useful tips Jack, thank you. I had been always selling greens for gold since I'm so poor at the moment, but it sounds like deconstruct is the way to go instead. Will do that from now on.

Thanks for the spreadsheet tip too. That looks incredibly handy and I will set something up for myself along those lines.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Oh I don't think I mentioned this earlier, when I said I was thinking of getting this game, it would be for PS4 as my laptop is too old to run it. Hopefully the PS4 version isn't poo poo?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Siets posted:

Super useful tips Jack, thank you. I had been always selling greens for gold since I'm so poor at the moment, but it sounds like deconstruct is the way to go instead. Will do that from now on.

Thanks for the spreadsheet tip too. That looks incredibly handy and I will set something up for myself along those lines.

No prob. Spreadsheets in this game are a godsend. I use one for trait research, one for motifs, and one for my daily budget to keep track of my spending and earnings.

Speaking of motifs, if you need blue ones, try going to high level areas life Riften and asking if anyone has any. Every so often, vet players will get them, and they're a blight on our inventory just because we don't need them and they don't sell for poo poo. You might be able to pick them up for at most 500 gold or, if they're generous, they might just give them to you.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Oh I don't think I mentioned this earlier, when I said I was thinking of getting this game, it would be for PS4 as my laptop is too old to run it. Hopefully the PS4 version isn't poo poo?

You can't use addons and there's only voice chat, no text chat. Personally, I wouldn't play without the customization and quality of life features that addons offer.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Even if he wanted to play on a laptop, I doubt he'd be able to once Thieves Guild goes live, since once it does they're dropping all non-DX11 support.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Siets posted:

If you are on PC, check out the Research Assistant mod. It'll Mark items with a little colored square. Red = You don't have that trait yet, Yellow = You don't have that trait, but you have another item in your inventory with that trait that's worth less gold to a vendor, Grey = You have that trait.

There's also Circonians Filterit, lets you right-click on an item and save it for various things, selling, deconstructing, research, mail, etc, so you don't accidentally sell it. It also adds tabs to your inventory that make sorting easy, including a tab that shows only items you need research for and one that shows items your other characters need for research. Super handy.

There's another one, but I don't remember what its called, that actually shows a grid like that spreadsheet. Sure you could find it easily. I don't use it personally as I'm not that invested in crafting just yet, though I could see getting it later after I get all my combat stuff nailed down.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mizuti posted:

You can't use addons and there's only voice chat, no text chat. Personally, I wouldn't play without the customization and quality of life features that addons offer.

Text chat is coming to consoles somewhere between now and Dark Brotherhood. Voice chat is a godsend, though. Makes selling and trading much easier in areas and is essential fir dungeons to run smooth. Sadly, PC lacks voice chat. As for addons, console UI is much better than the PC one and doesn't really need it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Having played both, PS4 is definitely the way to go. Better UI, better stability, voice chat, etc.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

-Go into Cyrodiil
-Kill a few people
-Get swarmed by a zerg
-Select a keep to respawn at
-Infinite Load Screen
-Reboot game

Repeat ad infinitum

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Siets posted:

What do I need to be doing as I level up to keep crafting skills up to par?

Let me lead with some generic advice on enjoying ESO: don't do anything boring from levels 1-50. The point of the early levels with your first character is to determine whether or not you like the game, and what sort of abilities you enjoy so you can start to carve (geddit?) out a fun build. You can pay absolutely zero attention to other people's builds, crafting, spreadsheets, really anything asperger's-based while you level and still be fine. The only irreversible decisions in the game are race and class, and you've already made those.

Now, if you find crafting personally enjoyable, go nuts. There are enough skill points to be a master crafter and still have a decent build (skill points will be scarce until you're through Cadwell's Silver, though). But if you don't care, don't worry about it. Also, since you're on PC NA, you have the option of letting goons make stuff for you. After the requisite bellyaching, you can typically expect your 9-trait superstar gear in a few hours, so there's even less of a reason for you to worry about crafting.

If after all that preamble you still want to do it:

Alchemy/Provisioning: People sell "leveling packs", or you can get one from goons for free. Pop an XP potion (this works for inspiration, too), follow the directions, and you'll be 50 in about 30 minutes each.

Enchanting: This one takes a couple hundred glyphs to powerlevel, so most people don't do it that way. Instead, decon every glyph you find while leveling (for xp, and to learn what they do). That will get you to 40 at v16, which is much easier to finish with some decon circlejerking.

Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking: You can decon early to get a head start on research (passives let you do more research), but selling allows you to buy bag upgrades which generally make the game more fun. The good sets take a couple months of research to get access to, so losing a few weeks of research for personal convenience is no big deal. I run found gear until v1, so that's where I switch between selling and decon. But if I wanted to powerlevel, I'd wait until v15 and grind IC sewers. You'll hit 50 deconning in a few hours that way, as well as getting ruby-level mats (which are expensive), and a small pile of tel vars for buying v16 glyphs (this is the only free way to get them).

Finally, don't do writs until Wrothgar. Even if you only cared about crafting, your time is better spent killing stuff for things to decon, rather than picking flowers.

e: For clarity, it's the Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking writs that require too many mats pre-50. Alchemy/Provisioning/Enchanting are good to do whenever. If you're at the same crafting tier for a while, you can even leave the extra potions and food you craft in your inventory, so that the next time you get the same writ, it's an immediate turn-in.

JackBadass posted:

Having played both, PS4 is definitely the way to go. Better UI, better stability, voice chat, etc.

I agree, the PC UI is terrible. If only there were some way to customize it...

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 9, 2016

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I really need to join the goon guild. Can I get an invite, please? NA/PC: @Mr_Scumbag

\/\/\/ Thanks!

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 9, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

I really need to join the goon guild.

Invite sent!

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

tgidieday posted:

Alchemy/Provisioning: People sell "leveling packs", or you can get one from goons for free. Pop an XP potion (this works for inspiration, too), follow the directions, and you'll be 50 in about 30 minutes each.

Wait, what? All this time I've been doing this poo poo the hard way? Bah, and I'm already 50 Provisioning and 42 Alchemy.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

tgidieday posted:

I agree, the PC UI is terrible. If only there were some way to customize it...

I was going to go the snide route, but I'm tired and you're not wrong. The only issue with PC UI addons is worrying about how many of them will stop working with each update. Sure, console players don't have a minimap or detailed health/stamina/magika readouts, but on the flip side, we have a much cleaner and nicer default UI and we don't have nearly as many crash and compatibility problems each update.

Pound for pound, I'd say console wins in that department, even if just by a hair.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

tgidieday posted:

What's in these packs? I might be tempted to make and sell them to newbies given that the XP Pot market seems to be tanking at the moment.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rough night on Axe tonight. Had a DC group trying to push for emp and had to leave our Haderus AP farm to stop them.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Current Puncturing Sweep effects on Live server

Puncturing Sweep on the Thieves Guild PTS

Note the highlighted part. That change was not listed in their patch notes at all. The snare was.

Their reasoning for the healing reduction? "Well you'll be standing inside the Rune Focus AoE so you'll benefit from the new changes to the Restoring Light passives!"
(New RL passives give Major Mending to you and you only while standing in Purifying Ritual or Rune Focus; Also, Major Mending got nerfed by 5%)

All while they keep implementing content that requires constant movement to stay alive.

Here's a sneak peek at Templar changes in Update 4 (Dark Brotherhood update)

Wrobel or whoever is in charge of balance changes seems to have a hard-on for loving Templars in the rear end constantly with every update. Coupled with the Breath of Life nerf (now only affects 1 additional person instead of 2), this is pretty much cementing my templar to Goon group action only.

My worst regret in 10 years of MMO gaming is rolling Templar. Stamplar no less. gently caress me.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

JackBadass posted:

The only issue with PC UI addons is worrying about how many of them will stop working with each update. Sure, console players don't have a minimap or detailed health/stamina/magika readouts, but on the flip side, we have a much cleaner and nicer default UI and we don't have nearly as many crash and compatibility problems each update.

Is this another one of the problems from back at launch? I've been playing since october, never updated addons and havent had a single crash or glitch. Playing the game without addons sounds crazy, all those lovely lovely quality of life improvements~~~

I do love excel and spreadsheets though! (not sarcasm, I really do)

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

lord_daeloth posted:

Wait, what? All this time I've been doing this poo poo the hard way? Bah, and I'm already 50 Provisioning and 42 Alchemy.

Sort of, it's really just the convenience of having all the materials in one place and that, if you're quick about it, you can powerlevel in a single xp pot's timespan.

JackBadass posted:

What's in these packs? I might be tempted to make and sell them to newbies given that the XP Pot market seems to be tanking at the moment.

Basically, your choice of green 15/25/etc recipes and matching ingredients, or solvents and whatever reagents you have lying around (e.g. dragonthorn/blessed thistle or lady's smock/corn flower). Since the rest of the kit is free or cheap, it does seem like a good fit for an xp pot business. I'll get some more accurate numbers next time: usually, I just give guildies stacks of whatever and get the rest back later, which I suspect is not ideal for commerce.

valuum posted:

Is this another one of the problems from back at launch?

Every major patch tends to have an API revision which is harmless, but involves checking a box to allow out-of-date addons until the mod authors issue a trivial update. On the other hand, the IC patch (September 2015) had some pretty major changes (for example, they added real buff tracking instead of guessing based on button presses). So there was a week or two there with no buff trackers (among other things) as mod authors had to actually change code. It was annoying for a time, but if anything, that only argues in favor of addons. Note that Wrothgar was back to trivial updates, so let's hope Thieves' Guild is the same way.

It's ironic: because the console version has no addons, Zenimax has started to first-party some of the more helpful things, which has changed their attitude from "addons are your problem" to "addons are our problem." As a result, the console version made addons good. The only issue you'll find with them now is an (increasingly rare) out of memory popup, which you can get rid of with the LUA memory addon.

Hal_2005 posted:

My worst regret in 10 years of MMO gaming is rolling Templar. Stamplar no less. gently caress me.

Despite my stam sorc gimmick, I've probably still done more vet dungeons with a stamplar than any other class. It's got solid dps and great utility, although if you're using the cookie-cutter build that relies on valkyn skoria being good and camo hunter being bugged, then welp,

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 9, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Rough night on Axe tonight. Had a DC group trying to push for emp and had to leave our Haderus AP farm to stop them.

You guys need to do this stuff when old people are awake. Please nerf staying up late, zos.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

You guys need to do this stuff when old people are awake. Please nerf staying up late, zos.

Not my fault that everyone is PST. Also it's bad on me too since I usually don't end up logging until after midnight.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

valuum posted:

I do love excel and spreadsheets though! (not sarcasm, I really do)

Ecxel combines two of my most favorite things: organization and laziness.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Not my fault that everyone is PST. Also it's bad on me too since I usually don't end up logging until after midnight.

More like Pacific Stupid Time.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does anyone know of an issue on ps4 where vision quest is bugged? i go into the library, and the dumb fucker casts his spell on me, but I don't move at all, and then he vanishes, when i think i'm supposed to be teleported to a jail, or something?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

does anyone know of an issue on ps4 where vision quest is bugged? i go into the library, and the dumb fucker casts his spell on me, but I don't move at all, and then he vanishes, when i think i'm supposed to be teleported to a jail, or something?

You gotta be more specific man. There's like dozens of vision quests in this goddamn game yo.

E: Craft talk: Sell every white and green item that you loot while exploring, with the exception of the items that have the "Intricate" trait on them. Honing Stones/Hemming/Pitch are all super easy to find/buy that selling a few greens and whites will not hurt you. The only reason I decon all my drops at v9 and above is because I need/want the voidstone/void cloth/shadowhide/nightwood for writs and the occasional theorycraft testing.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 9, 2016

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

You gotta be more specific man. There's like dozens of vision quests in this goddamn game yo.

E: Craft talk: Sell every white and green item that you loot while exploring, with the exception of the items that have the "Intricate" trait on them. Honing Stones/Hemming/Pitch are all super easy to find/buy that selling a few greens and whites will not hurt you. The only reason I decon all my drops at v9 and above is because I need/want the voidstone/void cloth/shadowhide/nightwood for writs and the occasional theorycraft testing.

Couldn't disagree more with people here saying sell equipment. The experiece gain from breaking it down is far more valuable than the double digit gold you net from selling it. Gold which you can always find double of in just about any nearby container. The only exception is ornate gear, and even then it's a toss up.

Best advice: don't even consider selling gear over breaking it down until your skill hits level 50.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

JackBadass posted:

Best advice: don't even consider selling gear over breaking it down until your skill hits level 50.

It's a matter of personal preference. For me, I think killing stuff with my friends is fun. By vendoring my low-level whites and greens at the closest merchant, I spend less time in my inventory and more time having fun. Sure, I'm not minmaxing my crafting gains, but I don't mind: I prefer fun, and leveling crafting takes less effort the longer you put it off.

Now, if you hate killing stuff with your friends, but somehow love leveling crafting and looting containers, then what you said makes sense. But recognize that those are strange preferences, as you are becoming invested in the economy of a game you do not enjoy. At the very least, consider the other people in your group waiting for you to run from blacksmith to woodworker to enchanter every inventory break.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

tgidieday posted:

It's a matter of personal preference. For me, I think killing stuff with my friends is fun. By vendoring my low-level whites and greens at the closest merchant, I spend less time in my inventory and more time having fun. Sure, I'm not minmaxing my crafting gains, but I don't mind: I prefer fun, and leveling crafting takes less effort the longer you put it off.

Now, if you hate killing stuff with your friends, but somehow love leveling crafting and looting containers, then what you said makes sense. But recognize that those are strange preferences, as you are becoming invested in the economy of a game you do not enjoy. At the very least, consider the other people in your group waiting for you to run from blacksmith to woodworker to enchanter every inventory break.

Of course. No one is wrong on any of the advice given on this page, but I'm operating on the original guys question of the best way to level crafting, which at least in my opinion is to focus 100% on deconing.

• Locked thread