Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why are they calling it that? A "keepsake" is something you keep from something that's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Maybe each subscriber gets a snippet of shoddy code to remember it by.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Y'know, if no one actually gets to play the game anymore, that means the imaginary taverns that people paid real money for can never be destroyed. It's the perfect plan.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
I'm sure this is just to announce a huge investment by a silent partner to reinvigorate the game development.

Things have never looked brighter!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A future as bright as the people who paid for their virtual crap.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, apparently some poor, foolish company decided to take over Pathfinder Online as of 1st March 2016. The current three devs are being referred to as the "legacy developers", so I assume they too will be laid off shortly. Maybe once the game is in completely new hands stuff will start to happen.

One of the decision makers at the buying company has been playing since the servers first opened, so... at least they know what they're getting into?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Said unnamed company doesn't actually have the capital to take over yet and is in talks to secure the funding to do so, though.

Also they finally added a /stuck command.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have a sneaking suspicion it's one of the big time whales who wants to "save the game."

I'm picturing someone with enough means to buy 5k pretend inns and poo poo leveraging his inheritance, taking out a huge loan, getting in over his head and ruining his life for a knock off WoW set in a knock off D&D world.

Of course I'm shooting from the hip here maybe it's Nexxon or some poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Basically that Tom Hanks movie The Money Pit, but with a lovely MMO.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Does anyone else remember that heartbreaker MMO kickstarter? Your World or something like that?

I can't help but think of that right about now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Or any MMO kickstarter, really.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Anticheese posted:

Does anyone else remember that heartbreaker MMO kickstarter? Your World or something like that?

I can't help but think of that right about now.

Yeah totally what I had in mind. Apparently the guy's name is "Bunky Bartlett," practicing Wiccan.

"And a month later, here I am," he said in a 2007 article in The Sun. "I thank the gods for this gift. I don't know which one granted me this wish, but whichever one did, thanks!"

He took the lump-sum payment from 1/4th of a 330m payout and had 15 million left as of 2012. Even accounting for the hit from not taking the annuity and the taxes, my back-of-the-envelope math tells me he burned through a loooot of money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

oTHi posted:

Welp, apparently some poor, foolish company decided to take over Pathfinder Online as of 1st March 2016. The current three devs are being referred to as the "legacy developers", so I assume they too will be laid off shortly. Maybe once the game is in completely new hands stuff will start to happen.

One of the decision makers at the buying company has been playing since the servers first opened, so... at least they know what they're getting into?
Truly, Pathfinder Online is the gift that keeps on giving.

I can't believe how excited I am for the Jeb! campaign.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/23/3543470/debunked-the-strange-ride-of-millionaire-game-developer-bunky-bartlett

If it is that dude, then holy poo poo buckle your seatbelts.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

I dunno, that guy sounds too imaginative for PFO.

quote:

What he described was Second Life mixed with game-making software mixed with ‘WoW' mixed with hookerbots.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Roadie posted:

I dunno, that guy sounds too imaginative for PFO.

What he describes as his 'ideal' game is basically everything PFO said it was gonna be.

Plus hookerbots.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A lot of "idea guys" who dream up an MMO seem like they don't understand game design or the nature of a game at all, but are instead daydreaming about virtual reality. Which is relevant to Pathfinder Online in particular, since the core game appeals in large part to people who think other versions of D&d aren't "rules-as-physics-engine" enough.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

:pray:

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
A /stuck command that takes 5 whole minutes to activate is pretty obnoxious, but really par for the course from these guys.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I hope it's him because that man is gonna represent my home-state. Also he bought-up a pizza place to guarantee delivery to his rural house lol

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Holy crap... during the first month or so the crew I was with had some guy I thought they were calling Bucky. Maybe I was saying it wrong or maybe it's the same guy. Pretty sure he still plays.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The only thing sadder than the people continuing to spend money on this, is someone trying to cash out and wanting $2500 for their accounts.

https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/4542/?page=2

quote:

Yes, this is likely a very bad time to try and sell off, as news of an investor could double or tripple the value of theses accounts overnight, but we all know it is a risk, and I just am not in the position to take that risk too much longer.

Amazingly the potential lottery winner investor hasn't caused a rush of people to buy this guy's accounts.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I expected this sentence....

PST posted:

Yes, this is likely a very bad time to try and sell off...

to end with, "...because this thing is going down like the Hindenburg," not some rose-colored theory that it will appreciate in value.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

From weak hands to strong, HODL.

Wait. Wrong thread. Or is it?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Only $2500?

And to think for that money you could buy hundreds of fun games, but what a ripoff that would be!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PST posted:

The only thing sadder than the people continuing to spend money on this, is someone trying to cash out and wanting $2500 for their accounts.

https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/4542/?page=2

Amazingly the potential lottery winner investor hasn't caused a rush of people to buy this guy's accounts.

Three times zero is still zero.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
They said they would probably announce something in January and the new guys would take over in March. Looks like something happened to "The Plan".

Maybe the mystery investor realized what a piece of poo poo they were being suckered into...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Only $2500?

And to think for that money you could buy hundreds of fun games, but what a ripoff that would be!

I never thought I would see a worse video game deal than a 2000 dollar star citizen spaceship.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

randombattle posted:

I never thought I would see a worse video game deal than a 2000 dollar star citizen spaceship.

Well I mean we already had the $5k taverns in this thread so…

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

That Old Tree posted:

Well I mean we already had the $5k taverns in this thread so…

Even that is at least theoretically something that you can use. 18 accounts is like... why would you have that?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Calidor posted:

Maybe the mystery investor realized what a piece of poo poo they were being suckered into...
Keep in mind - this is an investor brilliant enough to have gone this far into the process.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I forgot about that kickstarter. I'm surprised they managed to even get 21k worth of interest with this quote.

"The best way to describe this MMORPG is think of all the good things in Second life, WoW, Rift, SWTOR all rolled up into one game."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Arcland posted:

I forgot about that kickstarter. I'm surprised they managed to even get 21k worth of interest with this quote.

"The best way to describe this MMORPG is think of all the good things in Second life, WoW, Rift, SWTOR all rolled up into one game."

A game of schadenfreude and dongs? :eyepoop:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Arcland posted:

I'm not. MMOs have always drawn a surreal number of true believers and the naive, from pure vapor poo poo like Rune Conquest and Dawn/Glitchless, to impossible dreams like Horizons under its original head dev, and whatever Alexander Delarge has made a new thread for this week. Even here, there's always a few posters who are convinced that the latest ridiculous design doc will lead to the best thing ever, and will defend it to the limits of their e-honour.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

I'm not. MMOs have always drawn a surreal number of true believers and the naive, from pure vapor poo poo like Rune Conquest and Dawn/Glitchless, to impossible dreams like Horizons under its original head dev, and whatever Alexander Delarge has made a new thread for this week. Even here, there's always a few posters who are convinced that the latest ridiculous design doc will lead to the best thing ever, and will defend it to the limits of their e-honour.

I'm usually bad and back/preorder everything (AO and crowfall) but even I Have my limit. Always hoping for an mmo to be my one game again.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

...to impossible dreams like Horizons under its original head dev...

The game still would have died, but it would have been a hell of a lot more interesting (and for a time fun) than what arrived post-blackout. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I was surprised to see Horizons launch even with what it had. That original head dev of theirs was the living incarnation of feature creep.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Honestly, I was surprised to see Horizons launch even with what it had. That original head dev of theirs was the living incarnation of feature creep.

Does anyone know of a good place to read up on what all went down with Horizons? I've seen it referenced a lot on this board but somehow missed all of the build up and only played it long enough to see that it was a totally ordinary mediocre MMO.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

pkollar posted:

Does anyone know of a good place to read up on what all went down with Horizons? I've seen it referenced a lot on this board but somehow missed all of the build up and only played it long enough to see that it was a totally ordinary mediocre MMO.

That they pulled off mediocre is fairly impressive, given all the promises.

But I'm not sure if it's chronicled anywhere that's still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

If I may speculate wildly, MMOs seem to be a lure for people who just don't understand game design or even the meaning of the word "game," who think that the perfect game is a perfect virtual reality. If I'm on to something here, Pathfinder Online is probably the single best piece of evidence.