Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I would love it if I got an "Are you sure?!?" message if I try to lower the autonomy of a province that has Unrest (I am new to doing Ironman and I keep loving myself by mis-clicking that :( ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WTF?!? I was just saying that I should have called it a night 15 minutes ago....

In other news, I am feeling really good about where I am in 1520. About to grab a chunk of land from Kilwa, then go grab Hedjaz and what is left of Oman, then I can annex Yemen and let all that Arabian land lower its Autonomy...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Now me, I would ignore Arabia for the most part. Sure, if it's your only avenue of expansion, expand. But the only thing worthwhile is Mecca (extra missionary is you really need it) and the strategic trade province for Gulf of Aden. And you really shouldn't grab Mecca unless your religious unity is high or you're confident that you can convert it. You would need an inquisitor and the boost from Religious ideas at a minimum. High stability and the boosts that you get from decisions at Admin 8 & 10 help too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Fowl posted:

Now me, I would ignore Arabia for the most part. Sure, if it's your only avenue of expansion, expand. But the only thing worthwhile is Mecca (extra missionary is you really need it) and the strategic trade province for Gulf of Aden. And you really shouldn't grab Mecca unless your religious unity is high or you're confident that you can convert it. You would need an inquisitor and the boost from Religious ideas at a minimum. High stability and the boosts that you get from decisions at Admin 8 & 10 help too.
I got lucky with successive high Admin, low Legitimacy rulers and was maintaining my army to fight revolts, so I kept cutting bits of Arabia off because I had the soldiers and the admin points to core. I actually forgot about the whole Mecca-is-a-religious-center-that-is-hard-to-convert thing, so thank you for saying that (a 4th Missionary does sound appealing, though). Maybe I'll vassalize Hedjaz or maybe I will let them be, because the Ottomans can get a "Conquer Hedjaz" mission and I was not planning on trying to get to the Med via the Mamluks to try to find European allies. Knowledge of Europe past Hungary and Southern Italy has not spread to me yet - I cannot see Tunis but I can see Stockholm...

Once I decide on Hedjaz and grab Oman my focus will be on Kilwa and exploring while I wait for Funj to pop into existence so I can gobble them up and colonize through the middle so I can get to West Africa. And I will probably alternate trying to conquer Indonesia between conquests in Africa.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Node posted:

I swear I have witnessed the AI flat out ignoring the zone of control mechanic and it pisses me off.

No. You misunderstood whatever the situation was, which isn't hard to do considering how complec ZoCs are.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I did have some very weird poo poo with the Ottomans in Syria, when we were both in separate wars against the Mamluks. I was sieging a fort in Hama, Tadmor and Tarabulus were locked for me, due to the Hama fort. I got to watch an Ottoman army moving down from Adana into Cairo, they simply ignore the fort in Hama that blocked my movement.
No clue why that was possible, the Ottos had their own fort in Adana, but Antioch, Aleppo, Tarabulus and Hama were still owned by the Mamluks. They should have been able to move to Antioch but not from Antioch to Tarabulus.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bort Bortles posted:

I got lucky with successive high Admin, low Legitimacy rulers and was maintaining my army to fight revolts, so I kept cutting bits of Arabia off because I had the soldiers and the admin points to core. I actually forgot about the whole Mecca-is-a-religious-center-that-is-hard-to-convert thing, so thank you for saying that (a 4th Missionary does sound appealing, though). Maybe I'll vassalize Hedjaz or maybe I will let them be, because the Ottomans can get a "Conquer Hedjaz" mission and I was not planning on trying to get to the Med via the Mamluks to try to find European allies. Knowledge of Europe past Hungary and Southern Italy has not spread to me yet - I cannot see Tunis but I can see Stockholm...

Once I decide on Hedjaz and grab Oman my focus will be on Kilwa and exploring while I wait for Funj to pop into existence so I can gobble them up and colonize through the middle so I can get to West Africa. And I will probably alternate trying to conquer Indonesia between conquests in Africa.

You should totally go for Mecca. I know i could convert it (might have needed an inquisitor), but I think an event did the dirty job for me. The extra missionary is very very good. You should also assess the viability of expanding into Iraq or Persia, if the alliances there aren't a problem that's another route of conquest you can take to build up your base.

Wiz posted:

No. You misunderstood whatever the situation was, which isn't hard to do considering how complec ZoCs are.

I know ZoCs are way more complex than they appear to be at face value, but I remember there also being a couple of bugs (which did not distinguish between player and AI obvo) which would cause armies to ignore them. I couldn't really tell what caused them but it appeared to be armies disembarking from fleets, and I also remember a screenshot post with armies with the same destination recognising or ignoring ZoCs in the Lübeck area based off the province they started moving from. Granted my experiences in which that happened semi-regularly are from pre-1.14, so it would very much not surprise me if those bugs have been fixed!

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I think most of the surprise armies out of nowhere are due to being able to move between forts freely. If every province had a fort built in it, you could just move everywhere without restriction.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The fort system could definitely afford to have tooltips explaining how the rules works. As it is, you have to go into the game already knowing how it works to make sense out of it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'd at least like to be able to view a specific fort's zone of control on the map, which I'm pretty sure isn't something you can do now.

Seeing how that interacts with other forts would be helpful as well, but I'd settle for "click on a province in siege view and hit another button" and going through each fort individually.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

You should totally go for Mecca. I know i could convert it (might have needed an inquisitor), but I think an event did the dirty job for me. The extra missionary is very very good. You should also assess the viability of expanding into Iraq or Persia, if the alliances there aren't a problem that's another route of conquest you can take to build up your base.
I've been meaning to grab an Inquisitor from my Clergy estate to get Arabia converted, since it is overseas and I cant give the land to the Clergy in the first place, so I guess I will give it a go. I have been thinking of trying to vassalize Iraq - they just revolted from Qara and have no allies. But the Ottomans have a claim on one of their provinces so it may be suicide...
Definitely considering pushing into Persia as well, but I am stretched pretty thin as it is and I want to go take Indonesia sooner rather than later so I can funnel that trade to Zanzibar/Cape.

I am really enjoying this game as Ehtiopia and have to say that I have never enjoyed EU4 more. I would just love it if there was smoething I could do about the fact that I have had low Legitimacy rulers all game and there is nothing I can do about it in terms of improving my ruler's legitimacy on accession or to increase my legitimacy from low to high once he is already in power.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I've been meaning to grab an Inquisitor from my Clergy estate to get Arabia converted, since it is overseas and I cant give the land to the Clergy in the first place, so I guess I will give it a go. I have been thinking of trying to vassalize Iraq - they just revolted from Qara and have no allies. But the Ottomans have a claim on one of their provinces so it may be suicide...
Definitely considering pushing into Persia as well, but I am stretched pretty thin as it is and I want to go take Indonesia sooner rather than later so I can funnel that trade to Zanzibar/Cape.

I am really enjoying this game as Ehtiopia and have to say that I have never enjoyed EU4 more. I would just love it if there was smoething I could do about the fact that I have had low Legitimacy rulers all game and there is nothing I can do about it in terms of improving my ruler's legitimacy on accession or to increase my legitimacy from low to high once he is already in power.

Ethiopia suffers from not being quite in range to get royal marriages early on, but you get the +1 legitimacy/year idea late on your tree, and you also get an absolute shitton of prestige from your NIs, religious ideas, conquest of Mecca and so on that you will pretty definitely be edging on 100 prestige and getting something like 2 legitimacy yearly, which is about as high as you can go in EU4, so you should be fine once you hit your legitimacy NI. If your monarch is young it might get him to 100 over the course of his reign, if not you'll at least climb your way out of the hole to something manageable.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

FadingChord posted:

I'd at least like to be able to view a specific fort's zone of control on the map, which I'm pretty sure isn't something you can do now.

Seeing how that interacts with other forts would be helpful as well, but I'd settle for "click on a province in siege view and hit another button" and going through each fort individually.

Yeah if the fort map mode showed the zoc around the fort that's be fantastic

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah if the fort map mode showed the zoc around the fort that's be fantastic

One of the things that really bother me about the game is that there are so many mapmodes but very few of them show you information in an effective manner, or even at all in some cases.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Did straights get reworked in the recent patch? I've been playing England and got involved with a few wars with Denmark and Sweden and they keep bouncing across the straights despite the full 100% blockade I'm running across all of Scandinavia.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

YouTuber posted:

Did straights get reworked in the recent patch? I've been playing England and got involved with a few wars with Denmark and Sweden and they keep bouncing across the straights despite the full 100% blockade I'm running across all of Scandinavia.

edit: I guess an easier way to explain it is that if the enemy controls both provinces involved in the strait connection, you cannot blockade it to stop movement.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
How do I play hordes?
Tried to get off the ground as the Golden Horde, had a hundred years of relative success conquering Nogai, Kazan, vassal Circassia for orthodox provinces, Persia and two Lithuanian provinces, still could only field 32 regiments, was piss poor all the time.

Despite my alliances with the Ottomans, who never really expanded as they had so many regency councils, Muscovy waltzed all over me and I could just watch in horror as my lovely units melted away.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

skipThings posted:

How do I play hordes?
Tried to get off the ground as the Golden Horde, had a hundred years of relative success conquering Nogai, Kazan, vassal Circassia for orthodox provinces, Persia and two Lithuanian provinces, still could only field 32 regiments, was piss poor all the time.

Despite my alliances with the Ottomans, who never really expanded as they had so many regency councils, Muscovy waltzed all over me and I could just watch in horror as my lovely units melted away.

Use mostly cavalry, or as much as you can afford. Constantly be at war, constantly raze provinces. At first it can help to have a vassal that you feed the razed provinces to so that your admin points aren't always in the tank. Always fight on flat terrain for the +25% shock damage.

It can be a bit slow at first, but once you get rolling you'll be ahead of the europeans for tech even with the giant tech malus, because you raze so many monarchy points. If you're just going for a random horde game I'd go with Kazan. Their national ideas are amazing, ally with Timurids, eat Nogai, eat GH, eat Uzbek eventually...and on and on. Some people try and jump on Muscovy right away, so if you see a weak spot then go for that.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

Tsyni posted:

Use mostly cavalry, or as much as you can afford. Constantly be at war, constantly raze provinces. At first it can help to have a vassal that you feed the razed provinces to so that your admin points aren't always in the tank. Always fight on flat terrain for the +25% shock damage.

It can be a bit slow at first, but once you get rolling you'll be ahead of the europeans for tech even with the giant tech malus, because you raze so many monarchy points. If you're just going for a random horde game I'd go with Kazan. Their national ideas are amazing, ally with Timurids, eat Nogai, eat GH, eat Uzbek eventually...and on and on. Some people try and jump on Muscovy right away, so if you see a weak spot then go for that.

I razed everything, which left me piss poor I think . Felt huge after only a hundred years, sadly I still couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag once a real country came knocking.
Already used all those things you mentioned, and I thought it would "just work" that way.
Do the Otto's need to be stronger? Do I just need to live in eternal debt as a Horde ?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skipThings posted:

How do I play hordes?

If you are near Muscovy you need to try to smother them in the cradle. When I was playing as Kazan right after Cossacks came out I ran a bunch of cavalry and added Merc infantry when wars started. I took admin first so my mercs were cheaper. Otherwise Tsyini covered well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

skipThings posted:

I razed everything, which left me piss poor I think . Felt huge after only a hundred years, sadly I still couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag once a real country came knocking.
Already used all those things you mentioned, and I thought it would "just work" that way.
Do the Otto's need to be stronger? Do I just need to live in eternal debt as a Horde ?

Never not raze. It's literally the strongest mechanic in the game. The thing you want to avoid as much as possible is raising autonomy all over the place. That's a bad habit I got into, and my games go much better in general if I leave it untouched, deal with the rebels, and then only raise autonomy to deal with one or two province rebellions.

But playing in that region of the world, and having to run an army as big as you do just means that you will be stretched thin financial most of the time. The only way to make it better is to conquer richer places; India is pretty easy, China too if Ming has come apart. And always murder Muscovy early. They're generally at their weakest right after they've annexed their vassals. If you catch them while they're at war with Poland, you've got it made.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

PittTheElder posted:

Never not raze. It's literally the strongest mechanic in the game. The thing you want to avoid as much as possible is raising autonomy all over the place. That's a bad habit I got into, and my games go much better in general if I leave it untouched, deal with the rebels, and then only raise autonomy to deal with one or two province rebellions.

But playing in that region of the world, and having to run an army as big as you do just means that you will be stretched thin financial most of the time. The only way to make it better is to conquer richer places; India is pretty easy, China too if Ming has come apart. And always murder Muscovy early. They're generally at their weakest right after they've annexed their vassals. If you catch them while they're at war with Poland, you've got it made.

Thanks again, especially the "don't raise Autonomy" tip. Did that all the time, cause I did not think I could handle the rebellions considering my manpower shortages, but if that makes a difference I'll stop doing that and just start the run all over.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

skipThings posted:

The last game I played as Kazan I didn't take a single loan, but that's probably bad advice and most people take loans and are fine. Constantly declaring war and taking war reparations can help you ride that fine line where you have a very small negative balance. War taxes are helpful as well, since you're probably at war most of the time. Ottoman's being stronger helps, for sure. They were a key ally for a while. You're not going to have a really good option for strong ally unless Persia forms, and even then you're going to want to eat them at some point. If you're strong enough then Muscovy probably isn't going to declare on you, and you can wait until they are involved in some giant war with Poland-Lithuania, or Sweden/Denmark.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I agree, and this is why I think that humanist is vital for hordes, at some point. I'll take admin before it, but if you're expanding a huge amount then humanist is very useful.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skipThings posted:

Thanks again, especially the "don't raise Autonomy" tip. Did that all the time, cause I did not think I could handle the rebellions considering my manpower shortages, but if that makes a difference I'll stop doing that and just start the run all over.
I never had manpower problems when I ran Cav with merc infantry, because the infantry do all the dying. It was expensive but I managed, somehow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The key is that you really have to pay attention to it in the early game, and plan the timing of your wars around the rebel timers. Remember that a 20 stack of troops will knock a provinces revolt risk down by 5 just by standing around, although often it's better to just let them rise up once and be done with it for a while. Keep in mind that your rebels don't get your Horde combat bonuses either. Separatists from an extant nation will also have said nation's tech, so leaving one province unconquered can make your life quite a big easier. You'll also get tons of points from razing, and you probably won't be buying many military ideas, so don't be afraid of spending mil points on harsh treatment once in a while, but don't become dependent on it either.

Have the razing changes gone in yet, or are Hordes still super powered forever?

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, I agree, and this is why I think that humanist is vital for hordes, at some point. I'll take admin before it, but if you're expanding a huge amount then humanist is very useful.

Humanist is awesome for Kazan, and Tengri, though less so for others since they lack other tolerance bonuses. But yes, if you want to really excel as a Horde, your first idea picks should almost certainly be Admin, Influence, Humanist.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 9, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

The key is that you really have to pay attention to it in the early game, and plan the timing of your wars around the rebel timers. Remember that a 20 stack of troops will knock a provinces revolt risk down by 5 just by standing around, although often it's better to just let them rise up once and be done with it for a while. Keep in mind that your rebels don't get your Horde combat bonuses either. Separatists from an extant nation will also have said nation's tech, so leaving one province unconquered can make your life quite a big easier. You'll also get tons of points from razing, so don't be afraid of spending mil points on harsh treatment once in a while, but don't become dependent on it either.

Have the razing changes gone in yet, or are Hordes still super powered forever?

They have gone in, so every horde game probably won't feel like world conquest is a real possibility, but I think they are still great, especially now that you get the 25% shock bonus on -any- flat terrain.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that any terrain bonus is huge. So much better now that you don't have to try and bait the AI out all the time.

One other piece of Horde advice: screw forts. You want the money to spend on troops, so unless you have a critical chokepoint you need to close off, just destroy all forts save the one on your capital. In my WC I was running three forts: capital, and one each on either side of the Bosporus.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, that any terrain bonus is huge. So much better now that you don't have to try and bait the AI out all the time.

One other piece of Horde advice: screw forts. You want the money to spend on troops, so unless you have a critical chokepoint you need to close off, just destroy all forts save the one on your capital. In my WC I was running three forts: capital, and one each on either side of the Bosporus.

Yeah, definitely. I had a fort in my capital in my run as well. The only other forts I left were there temporarily while I waited for rebels to spawn, like in Indonesia, but by then money was less of a problem.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Don't forget to loot with your Calvary before you peace out a winning war, I was broke all the time until I learned how to loot

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bort Bortles posted:

You have discovered the secret of EU4: the most fun you can have is outside of Western Europe. Too bad they spend all their dev time on Europe specific events and mechanics.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The AI really needs to demand something more than reparations in peace settlements, jfc

You are supporting a Colonial Nation's independence, they call you into their independence war and you help them smash Spain or whomever. They peace out for some cash and reparations.
You are Defender of the Faith and get called into a defensive war. You crush the attacking heretics and the AI peaces out with them for reparations and cash one by one. Instead of converting a bunch of HRE members to our shared religion, nope rather just use your 100% warscore for some sweet reparations.

why do I even bother fighting for you if you're not going to do anything remotely useful with my contribution? :downs:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So uh, is this how the new Spread of Discoveries is supposed to work?

I can see Iceland and Greenland but not Tunis, as Ethiopia?

Eej posted:

You have discovered the secret of EU4: the most fun you can have is outside of Western Europe. Too bad they spend all their dev time on Europe specific events and mechanics.
Oh I've known it for a while, but I'm enjoying the game so much more with a lot of the recent changes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Well that was fun. You only see a bug like this once in a forever, so I'm glad I took advantage and made this a little easier on myself. Still was the toughest, most grindy run I've ever done though. Ideas Guy, For Odin and First Come, First Serve all done in a single run, with plenty of time to spare.

Here's the result of my last war with Spain (the 4th overall). Canada would fall a few months later.

The final state of Europe.

This was the toughest war yet. Spain had allied two of my allies (Milan and Lithuania) so I had to go toe-to-toe with more nations I'd built up. Thankfully the Ottomans, Brittany and my new friends Burgundy were more than happy to assist. To thank Burgundy for her help I gave her a nice chunk of Spain.

And yes that is Wales up there in Great Britain. After I got "For Odin" I released Wales and Sweden so I'd get some additional firepower in my wars against Spain.

The achievement notification popped up in the bottom right after I cleared out the Iroquois, the last American nation standing, but I wasn't fast enough to grab the screenshot.

Achievement proof:

Ironman proof:

With that done, I guess it's back to my Albania game. I'm a real glutton for tough games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

axeil posted:

Well that was fun. You only see a bug like this once in a forever, so I'm glad I took advantage and made this a little easier on myself. Still was the toughest, most grindy run I've ever done though. Ideas Guy, For Odin and First Come, First Serve all done in a single run, with plenty of time to spare.
I knew it was possible. Hilarious and awesome use of that bug.

In other news: I am converting Mecca in 25 months. I am a combination of :getin: and :vince: right now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I noticed enemy troops seemed to walk right over one of my forts, so I took a screenshot when I confirmed what was up. This was about three months into the war.

Any clue what would allow for that? No adjacent forts.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The thing about raising autonomy is that you're sacrificing future income and manpower for current income and manpower by not dealing with the revolt using regular or merc troops. However, this tradeoff has a serious flaw in the early game - any land where the revolt risk is low enough for -10 unrest to handle the separatism is going to be rebel-free rather quickly, and then you'll be staring at that -10 revolt risk on that province and regretting the loss. Any land where it doesn't fully handle the unrest, like wrong-religion provinces, are going to rise up while you convert them anyway, and then once they're converted you're still left with a lot of excess negative unrest for a long time. Obviously, there are atypical provinces like Mecca where conversion is very hard and increasing autonomy actually does make sense, but they are not the norm.

After you aren't small anymore, it definitely doesn't make sense because separatist rebels are no longer an existential threat.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If you take 4-6 provinces, even off culture, you often get away with no revolts if you lower autonomy. That is my experience anyway.
I usually lower it in lovely areas I don't want to keep troops, like if I start a war against the Ottomans I'll lower autonomy in newly conquered African provinces.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so Spread of Discoveries is getting wackier:

I can see South America now, but no connecting ocean?!?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
Could rebels please not enforce their demands if they have no forces left ? That would be sweet, pretenders just reversed my Inca reforms, course I couldn't take back the last fort they took, fast enough.
Now I got to start this run over again the fourth time at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bort Bortles posted:

Alright so Spread of Discoveries is getting wackier:

I can see South America now, but no connecting ocean?!?
The Greenland thing is because it's part of Scandinavia now, I think. As for this, your people have obviously been told about the great Spanish colonies on another continent, but they're not exactly sure what's in between.

• Locked thread