Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which sister is best
This poll is closed.
sakura 11 6.96%
hinoka 21 13.29%
camilla 42 26.58%
elise 15 9.49%
im gay (in a nonironic sense) 69 43.67%
Total: 158 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i took all of next week off to go on a ski trip and i get back late thursday night, just in time for Fates

life is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Somebody watched Macross 2?
macross 2 is a lot better than people give it credit for IMO, if it didn't have the baggage that it did it would be just another totally serviceable but also entirely forgotten early 90s mecha anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least macross 2 ends, unlike macross 7

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

footage of me watching macross 7

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can't wait to get owned by everyone here in Fates multiplayer. It's gonna be epic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fire emblem multiplayer is never really as fun as it sounds, especially when you attach it to an actual game with grinding and poo poo

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

I can't wait to get owned by everyone here in Fates multiplayer. It's gonna be epic

Post your NNID, coward.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

fire emblem multiplayer is never really as fun as it sounds, especially when you attach it to an actual game with grinding and poo poo

Aw...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

it could be fun if they gave you premade units or something but even then im not sure the mechanics survive two equal strength armies well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

macross 2 is a lot better than people give it credit for IMO, if it didn't have the baggage that it did it would be just another totally serviceable but also entirely forgotten early 90s mecha anime

It has a really good soundtrack too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

when I was a dumb kid I kept asking at the video store for macrosses 3-6, they had no clue what I was talking about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's still fun for a laugh but it isn't something ill be playing until the cows come home. the best system imo would be to make multiplayer into something where you pick 10 units out of like 50-pre built ones, instead of just grinding whoever you like best to max stats and getting the most broken skill sets possible.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVKBVqkg8W4

:v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Insert joke about fat sausage fingers here

The Colonel posted:

this is going to go down in history as literally the only thing from macross ii anyone would possibly care about
Hey now people cared about the mech...ha ha ha ha ha ha

boom boom boom posted:

Somebody watched Macross 2?
It turns out the enemy of space jpop is space opera

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

it could be fun if they gave you premade units or something but even then im not sure the mechanics survive two equal strength armies well
there's a java game that's like that, it's kind of fun but there's nothing to really encourage players to actually engage with each other so it just devolves into a dance until one guy fucks up his placement and fifteen paladins spring on his healer.

like in advance wars, properties prevent stalemates. both players want properties, they go to the cities, they meet where the cities are, they trade shots, things sprawl out from there. you need a mechanic like that in a fire emblem multiplayer game or it just devolves into chicken with brave axes.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Oh man I just remembered that there is a new Snow White with the Red Hair episode

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

there's a java game that's like that, it's kind of fun but there's nothing to really encourage players to actually engage with each other so it just devolves into a dance until one guy fucks up his placement and fifteen paladins spring on his healer.

like in advance wars, properties prevent stalemates. both players want properties, they go to the cities, they meet where the cities are, they trade shots, things sprawl out from there. you need a mechanic like that in a fire emblem multiplayer game or it just devolves into chicken with brave axes.

I feel like Dota's mechanic of having computer ai units to kill might solve that issue. That and maybe villages to hold where you can buy more weapons.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I kind of want to play Disciples 2 now because of this strategy game talk, and because it is a pretty game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Allarion posted:

I feel like Dota's mechanic of having computer ai units to kill might solve that issue. That and maybe villages to hold where you can buy more weapons.
i had the idea of having to visit villages to get ai units every turn, and players fighting over those villages

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The hosed up part is I've never played DoTa and only loosely understand how that genre is supposed to work, so I'm just throwing out ideas that would incorporate Fire Emblem's leveling and weapon durability.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
holy crap i finally won a for glory match

corrin is way more fun of a character everyone is...now time to see how i fare against the bayonettas

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Addendum, you could also make class seals an attainable resource so players would compete to promote first too. The only issue is that's probably hard to balance if one side gains the upper hand the moment they promote though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Allarion posted:

The hosed up part is I've never played DoTa and only loosely understand how that genre is supposed to work, so I'm just throwing out ideas that would incorporate Fire Emblem's leveling and weapon durability.

Don't try to turn a good genre into a dota.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
never mind this person is actually just using captain falcon

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

Don't try to turn a good genre into a dota.

I'd rather not, but it was the first idea I had, and then I realized that Dota already did it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Closest I've ever come to playing a MOBA was that weird Guilty Gear sequel that sort of played like one.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

turn every game into a rhythm game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Allarion posted:

weapon durability doesn't exist in fates anymore.

and it's good that it doesn't.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Some sort of goal aside from killing the other side is necessary, whether it's holding villages for a certain number of turns, landing the most killing blows on npcs, or whatever. That or you could shrink the battlefield each turn with lava or something to force the armies into contact.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Endorph posted:

Thank God.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dryzen posted:

turn every game into a rhythm game

Is Crypt of the Necrodancer any good?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

As a major sufferer of elixir syndrome, this pleases me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

Yeah I know. The idea was having AI mooks to grind against would break the dancing stalemate you mentioned was an issue, so now there's some risk/reward in fighting them, since the other player can jump you while you're doing that and vice versa. I left weapon durability in mostly so a player can't indefinitely grind mooks forever so they'd also have to run back to base or a shop to get more gear, which also has potential of allowing the other player to gain an advantage.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

oh thank god

it's amazing how the most brand-new weapons representing the epitome of human craft break apart easier than antique guns that have been sitting in a pile of post-apocalyptic mud for two centuries

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

very good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's fun but hard, I can't even get off the first floor of Zone 2

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Has a weapon durability mechanic in a game ever made a game better?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sylphid posted:

Advance Wars has ammo and fuel you need to stay aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sylphid posted:

In survival style games, yes. In everything else, no.

Also yeah, Advance Wars and similar tactical games make good use of it, but there the main difference is that it runs out fast enough to matter in the short term and is easily replenished. FE weapon durability generally took multiple chapters before becoming relevant except for a few weapons and was more difficult to replace.

• Locked thread