Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?

Eonwe posted:

CIG have a problem that they've lied to passionate and emotionally invested internet nerds and it will bite them in the rear end

Hopefully a backer doesn't snap and straight up murder someone

I think this will happen too, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Has anyone tried to convince Roberts that SC needs to be a moba too?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Chin posted:

Bar fights? Really?

It was in a Firefly episode, of course it's going to be promised.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

...and it's about to get a whole lot worse. Two weeks.

Do you know if Mad Catz's board collapse is connected to CIG? That would be too perfect.

Wise Learned Man posted:

In hindsight, none of us should be surprised. Early on, he mentioned in interviews how he felt a dev cycle of 1.5 to 2 years is ideal (echoing statements he made shortly following his ouster from Digital Anvil). Anything longer than that and he would just lose interest. I think he must have assumed that modern pre-built engines meant they could just slap some pretty assets in and have a game with minimal effort. Now that all his dicking around with name actors is over with, he doesn't have anything else to look forward to. He can't code, so he can't help address any of the glaring engineering issues they're facing. He's shown a lot of art and animation works-in-progress, but none of it lives up to the image he has in his head— an image that he can't seem to communicate to any of the people he employs beyond the abrogative Potter Stewart Jacobellis v. Ohio sense. So he's bored and dissatisfied with the progress of virtually everything, but he can't blame himself, so he turns his ire on all of the little people yapping about the poo poo he dreamt up years ago to get them to open their wallets. He didn't even mean 90% of the poo poo he said at the time —I'm sure he feels he was just spitballing —so he rankles at being called to account for it now. The guy strikes me as a very childish, irresponsible little turd.

What a summary, that describes his behavior perfectly. I wondered why Chris Roberts doesn't play his game at all, and you've hit the nail on the head. Chris Roberts is bored with his game already and he wants to move on to something else. I bet that if a Men-In-Blank neutralizer existed, Chris Roberts would use that without hesitation to delete Star Citizen from everyone's memory, starting with himself.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
MadCatz will be having a webcast presentation at 5PM tomorrow. :getin:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sperglord posted:

Do you know if Mad Catz's board collapse is connected to CIG? That would be too perfect.

No. They have been in decline for years. They recently invested in making toy instruments for Rock Band 4, hoping that it would sell well. The larger problem is that 3rd party controllers haven't really been a thing for a decade, and that there isn't a big market for fighting game sticks/driving wheels/HOTAS.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

...and it's about to get a whole lot worse. Two weeks.

BUT IT WAS TWO WEEKS LAST WEEK :cry:

why you do this to my heart :(

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Stop making me regret my past mistakes that preclude me having a credit card so I can join in the fun. Well, I suppose I can install a C64 emulator and play the ORIGINAL Elite... :sigh:

You can always go with Oolite: http://www.oolite.org/ I haven't played it in ages, but it's fun.

E: Don't forget to check out the expansions. There are a fuckton of them and I can't remember what was worth recommending, but they add a lot to the game. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_List

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 9, 2016

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Tokamak posted:

No. They have been in decline for years. They recently invested in making toy instruments for Rock Band 4, hoping that it would sell well. The larger problem is that 3rd party controllers haven't really been a thing for a decade, and that there isn't a big market for fighting game sticks/driving wheels/HOTAS.

Being in decline ~= board leaving at once. This degree of drastic shake-up suggests criminal action, more than financial problems.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

I'm not sure what to call the "Destruction Derby" Game mode, anybody got some good names? Right now I'm going with "Destructo-Derby Paaarp Arena" which is weak.

Basically, all weapons are deactivated, there is only ramming, and you can't leave the arena under pain of death. The object is to destroy your opponents. Last plebe standing wins.

Beyond kill points, you get points for the following:
- Ramming (there's Dinky, Boss, and SAVAGE ram levels)
- Ice Burns (where you flip around and blast enemies with your thruster exhaust)
- Paaarps (I'm not sure what a paaarp attack is yet, but it involves an airhorn. Maybe just a sonic blast radius on a long cooldown timer?)
- Fatalaties (ships have finishing moves)

PARPAball?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sperglord posted:

I don't think we've gone through the full Mad Catz story. Here's a link and the relevant portion.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=69024&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2136454

It looks like the entire board was replaced, before earnings were reported! I can see two possibilities, catastrophic numbers or financial malfeasance. This scale of board replacement suggests malfeasance, not terrible numbers. Especially replacing the CFO and General Counsel at the same time.

Which raises a crucial question, is this related to the CIG deal? Did CIG make a, possibly illegal, deal with Mad Catz to get the joystick contract? Whatever happened, we will find out, because this is a publically traded company.

They're going to file for bankruptcy.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3089406-mad-catz-interactive-halted-ahead-news-announcement

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/10939752/mad-catz-executive-board-changes-rock-band-4-earnings

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

I agree that, under normal circumstances, that would be the likeliest oucome. But the whole behavior seems to be odd. If you're going to file, then just file. Replacing the board and leaving the stock hanging for 24 hours before the news is just a guarantee to kill whatever equity is left in the company.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

MadCatz will be having a webcast presentation at 5PM tomorrow. :getin:

Solar Plebian controller presentation?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cheers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

flyboi posted:

BUT IT WAS TWO WEEKS LAST WEEK :cry:

why you do this to my heart :(

...so how did you miss all the poo poo that's gone down this past two weeks?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fucktards murdered Saitek.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder if anyone in the brown sea is actually going to care about this lovely controller never coming out.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

1500 posted:

I am talking about right after. If you owned ED already then %25 was taken off the price of horizons, dropping it down to $45, if you were looking at steam it was an auto discount, if you were looking FD store it said right on the page. So yes Frontier did in fact give past owners of ED a discount on Horizons. Everything in the Horizons trailer is in the game.

They also very recently changed the way Horizons is sold. Now Horizons is purely a DLC "season pass" sold separately from Elite Dangerous. There is no more discount for Elite owners because it's just a DLC now instead of Base Game + Expansion.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

So from all the manufactures Cloud could pick from; They went for the most desperate one lol!
Maybe they can start blaming each other. Heck maybe the CEO thought SC would increase the earnings; but the game never came lel.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Verse, Feb 9th, 2016

Fourth Stimpire Industries has announced the acquisition of Mad Catz Interactive, Inc.

Bob Smith, spokesman for the Fourth Stimpire commented "We hope adding in the portfolio of Mad Catz products into the Stimpire family of products will allow us to leverage our strengths for the greater good of domination." Before finishing his next statement, Bob passed out in pain.

Fourth Stimpire stock has tripled in value since the start of the year.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Hello from page 1794 you toads. I take a day or two off and the got 1300 posts to read. Yay! :)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

D_Smart posted:

...so how did you miss all the poo poo that's gone down this past two weeks?

Yeah dude, but when we keep hearing this hype from you, we're expecting Chris to like, appear on camera and start crying. Two tiny spaceship tears fall from his face and into his open palm. He extends it forward and between sobs explains it is his last gift to us on Earth. He wipes away his tears and apologizes, before he says goodbye and takes off into space on his very own spaceship. Star Citizen was real all along, it was the best drat space sim anyone ever created -- for one man.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

So from all the manufactures Cloud could pick from; They went for the most desperate one lol!
Maybe they can start blaming each other. Heck maybe the CEO thought SC would increase the earnings; but the game never came lel.

Stands to reason the most desperate ones would also offer the lowest price?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Chris Roberts I feel would make a very great, informative televangelist. All the fidelity you will feel when you get to heaven after donating all of your money.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just tried to fly my Avenger, and I actually got it off the tarmac, but I couldnt get it to fly at all. If this is what the PU is, Im gonna pass and point em at Rebel Galaxy, a spaceship game that actually works.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
I feel like Sandi would be better suited to something like Big Comfy Couch, even that actually she'd probably gently caress up.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Just wait for CR to announce that he's hired established leaders from MadCatz to lead CIG into the history books.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just got my refund, someone said to mention which company sent it. I got mine from 'Roberts Space Industries Corporation.'

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Also note how the general chat really is becoming quite brutal.
I'm luvin it

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Chris Roberts I feel would make a very great, informative televangelist. All the fidelity you will feel when you get to heaven after donating all of your money.

Televangelists have charisma.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

BeefThief posted:

E: Sorry for the emptyquote, my post is in alpha.

I plan to read this post for the next ten years.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Anybody tried pulsar lost colony?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Gotta say, this entire ordeal has really taught me that Aldous Huxley was literally on point. As long as you keep feeding the dumb fuckers some shitizen soma (jpegs) and keep them decently entertained with pointless videos, they won't question the reality of the situation they are in. At the same time, anyone who wanders outside this reality distortion field (Bernard4theBeerGod) is banned from upsetting the other Shitizens of this Brave New World.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I must confess though, and it probably sounds silly. But the thing I'm actually looking forward to the most is grabby hands and cargo interaction. Just having the tactile interaction with the cargo and stuff you're hauling, and even the stuff you want to decorate your ship with is seriously many steps up from what imo any other developer would have ever thought to do.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6343920/#Comment_6343920

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Literally the worst idea

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Sound like a job for the most amazing business women ever in the 9 realms

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yes, I'm sure this game will somehow have the same mass appeal as Skyrim or Vice City

20 million copies sold would make it the 2nd best selling PC game of all time, only behind Minecraft

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Well if you're going to get absorbed in your delusions you might as well make your world so fantastical reality can't get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its so funny that this game is clearly in development hell, an absolute abomination and destined to go the way of colonial marines or duke numem forever or at best devils third, and the fanbase is talking about rivalling minecraft for copies sold.

the community really is the unique thing about the game and not in a good way at all ha ha haaaa

• Locked thread