Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe BraveStarr is available?

I was hoping for Starriors but that's really only because I want new Starriors toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kizudarake posted:

Astonishing X-men #27

I'm assuming that's from Warren Ellis' tenure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dolash posted:

So they can't say ****, but Ron Howard can pick up as many hookers as he likes. Comics are interesting.

It is always bizarre to me that they censor "poo poo" but show Superboy Prime decapitating people, yeah.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I don't even really get the joke. Why are Brand and Beast that offended by someone saying "loving" during an argument?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kramjacks posted:

I don't even really get the joke. Why are Brand and Beast that offended by someone saying "loving" during an argument?

Yeah, Everyone featured on panel has killed other people, the occasional f-bomb shouldn't be a big deal.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Because he called brand a fuckers which is insulting? And beast is her gently caress buddy so it's insult by proxy?

If someone calls you or your partner a fuckers, you tend to get pissed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Kramjacks posted:

Because it's Cyclops.

They were probably shocked that Scott actually knew the word, much less was able to say it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Because he called brand a fuckers which is insulting? And beast is her gently caress buddy so it's insult by proxy?

If someone calls you or your partner a fuckers, you tend to get pissed.

But he didn't call her a "fucker." He threatened to kill her and hide the body, which would be a valid reason to get upset, but saying "gently caress" shouldn't be the offensive part of that sentence.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Boy scout Cyclops said some version of the F bomb. It's funny because he doesn't say stuff like that, and is going insane. You can argue that Scott has been spiraling since the last time Jean died, or it wouldn't be too crazy to say he's been slowly losing it from the beginning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It is pretty funny that among a group of people who've killed other people, dropping an f-bomb is more offensive than threatening to kill someone.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is that Ghost Boxes? I assume it is because it's astonishing x men, and it sucks, and that describes Ellis' Ghost Box run in two simple to understand criteria. Should probably win some kind of award for most disappointing followup in the history of comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

It is pretty funny that among a group of people who've killed other people, dropping an f-bomb is more offensive than threatening to kill someone.

That's not the joke though, man. It's that Cyclops specifically is the one saying it that shocks them. It's not a good joke at all but I don't get why you're misrepresenting it after it's been clarified twice.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I just assume that, after what must've been hundreds of trips to Australia, Scott just picked up the word 'Cunting'. Everyone is about 20% offended, and 80% bemused/confused. And since no one knows how to respond to such an odd turn of phrase, everyone just defaults to the standard X-Men approach of being offended/picking a fight.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Beast and Brand were the greatest couple.

:3:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know it gets brought up basically whenever Beast is posted, but there really aren't any rules on how to draw him besides "blue and hairy", is there?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that the rare RhinoBeast?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why the long face?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You'd think after the fifth or so time Jean died "for reals this time honest" Cyclops would be used to it.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I read it as him saying "cunting." It's Ellis, after all, and it justified the weird reaction.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
There were occasional good character moments in the whole run of issues 1-43 of astonishing x-men. I really don't understand why there was a huge loving jump between kitty getting launched into space in a bullet and the weird art change, though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

Leave me alone, Hank, I've got to save your face from sliding off your skull

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Dolash posted:

I know it gets brought up basically whenever Beast is posted, but there really aren't any rules on how to draw him besides "blue and hairy", is there?

To be fair, per the text, that's about all that's reliable about his appearance nowadays.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe BraveStarr is available?

Is the world finally ready for my gritty reboot of Cowboys of Moo Mesa?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Because it's Cyclops.

They were probably shocked that Scott actually knew the word, much less was able to say it.

Scott's a brain-damaged moron, every day he doesn't choke to death on his own tongue is its own little miracle.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

prefect posted:

I know it's comics but how slow do these people run?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

There were occasional good character moments in the whole run of issues 1-43 of astonishing x-men. I really don't understand why there was a huge loving jump between kitty getting launched into space in a bullet and the weird art change, though.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but there's really no connection between Whedon's and Ellis' storylines--they just happen to share the same comic book title because "Astonishing X-Men" had a lot of positive association with it after Whedon wrapped up, so milk it, baby!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's probably the worst thing Ellis has written (that I've read). It was just so impossible to care about anything going on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Disgusting Coward posted:

I know it's comics but how slow do these people run?

They're in space. You move slower when there's no gravity.

Just picture them floating along.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

prefect posted:

The weirdest thing about this picture is how similar the red guy's face is to Beast's.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

prefect posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out Beast's pose in that first panel. Is he being knocked over by Brand, or is he reclining in a chair that the artist just forgot to draw?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Looks to me like he's in a chair completely covered by his body.
Echoing how bizarre his face is and it matching red guy's.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I thought he was supposed to be like, bestially running backwards or sideways in a weird non-human manner, and keeping pace with them because he is The Beast. And then when she was like NO I DON'T HAVE TIME he is shocked into stopping walking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

The weirdest thing about this picture is how similar the red guy's face is to Beast's.

That red guy owns by the way, because he's the galaxy's most obvious psychic.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It's probably the worst thing Ellis has written (that I've read). It was just so impossible to care about anything going on.

My Humongous X-men Disappointment™ is that cyclops didn't stay fixed after whedon's run. Like, what the gently caress?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do you mean fixed narratively or are you talking about his powers? Because the powers thing was undone at the end of Whedon's own run. If you mean narratively, I was never that fond of Whedon's take on Cyclops, it just seemed like a nerdy guy who related to Cyclops more childishly trying to make his favorite character seem cooler than Wolverine. And it led to a decade+ of Cyclops being horrible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Come on, I'm a bit biased because I love Cyclops anyway, but "to me, my X-Men" was fantastic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Do you mean fixed narratively or are you talking about his powers? Because the powers thing was undone at the end of Whedon's own run. If you mean narratively, I was never that fond of Whedon's take on Cyclops, it just seemed like a nerdy guy who related to Cyclops more childishly trying to make his favorite character seem cooler than Wolverine. And it led to a decade+ of Cyclops being horrible.

Who was it that hooked Cyke up with Emma? That's a thing I never would have expected, and I think it's turned out pretty well, overall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Come on, I'm a bit biased because I love Cyclops anyway, but "to me, my X-Men" was fantastic.

It was ok.

prefect posted:

Who was it that hooked Cyke up with Emma? That's a thing I never would have expected, and I think it's turned out pretty well, overall.

I think that might've been Morrison? I wanna say they were a couple before Whedon but I'm not 100% sure.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It was ok.

I think that might've been Morrison? I wanna say they were a couple before Whedon but I'm not 100% sure.
Yeah, Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

Yeah, Morrison.

On Jean Grey's grave no less!