Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Heavy Metal posted:

Was fun at the time, I liked it. There's more character and atmosphere in that game than a lot of others oddly enough. Compared to another 2003 lower budget shooter, say Chaser, I'll go with Postal 2.
Hi, I'm the one guy that will defend Chaser on the internet.

Well, just passing through.

Edit: thanks for reminding me of my love of early-to-mid aughts low budget shooters, I just made an extremely wise and good purchase on Steam!

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

i still want to think of it as hairy, because that sounds a lot cooler.

We should start a vote: Hairy or fleshy?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

laserghost posted:

Postal 2 looked incredibly drab and ugly since the release of the demo. It's such a waste of the Unreal engine. I never understood it's popularity, it's obtuse, badly designed and boring as balls, and yet it has three mission packs, a few rereleases and is still updated. Baffling.

The game is largely what you make it

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

laserghost posted:

Postal 2 looked incredibly drab and ugly since the release of the demo. It's such a waste of the Unreal engine. I never understood it's popularity, it's obtuse, badly designed and boring as balls, and yet it has three mission packs, a few rereleases and is still updated. Baffling.

Postal 2 is poo poo but it's fun poo poo. More games need a quick kick key, though maybe not a piss key.

Speaking of which I've been playing through Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and goddamn, how have I not played it before? The combat is a hell of a lot of fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dark messiah is pretty great as far as the actual gameplay goes, for sure. the source engine has been put to good use by some outside game devs over the years. i can't get over how boring and awful the protagonist is, though. sounds like they grabbed some random intern from the hall to do voice lines.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Dark Messiah team were collaborating with Valve on some stuff before Dishonored became a thing. It's kind of a pity that stuff never saw the light of day...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Postal 2 has alot of staying power because it takes nothing to run and has a single digit crew made up of fans. Not enough manpower or resources to create a new game but enough to add controller support and hobble together a new campaign on the existing engine. It's also the only game out there that mixes terrible edgy comedy with ultraviolence.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Kins posted:

The Dark Messiah team were collaborating with Valve on some stuff before Dishonored became a thing. It's kind of a pity that stuff never saw the light of day...

yeah, there was some weird kind of charm to dark messiah and it would have been neat if they'd been able to make some more stuff with source.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DoombatINC posted:

Well, just passing through.

Edit: thanks for reminding me of my love of early-to-mid aughts low budget shooters, I just made an extremely wise and good purchase on Steam!

We both defended an early-to-mid aughts low budget shooter, peas in a pod, there's somebody to defend every shooter in history in here. As there should be. Love Versus by the way.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

We should start a vote: Hairy or fleshy?

I'll vote hairy!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The era between Quake 2 and Halo really was the nadir of single-player FPS, wasn't it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DoombatINC posted:

Chaser was pretty fun in multiplayer, especially on maps with the grenade launcher.

*THUMP*.... *BOOM*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The era between Quake 2 and Halo really was the nadir of single-player FPS, wasn't it.

Great Scott, I'll take 97-01 over say 2006-2010, any day of the week. Twice on Sunday. It felt like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and F.E.A.R were bright spots (2004/05) then it felt like a slow time for the genre for a while, for me.

In the nadir era you picked there we've got Half-Life, No One Lives Forever, and I even dug stuff like Soldier of Fortune and Star Trek Elite Force etc. Plus, Perfect Dark. Granted, we had stuff like KISS Psycho Circus.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Heavy Metal posted:

We both defended an early-to-mid aughts low budget shooter, peas in a pod, there's somebody to defend every shooter in history in here. As there should be. Love Versus by the way.

Even terrible Pie in the Sky GCS games?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Keiya posted:

Even terrible Pie in the Sky GCS games?

I hope, somebody step up to the plate

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Is this sarcasm? Half-Life came out in 1998.

e: Thief came out in '98 as well and Thief 2 came out in 2000.
e2: Also Unreal came out in '98 and so did Turok 2. 1998 was an insanely good year for video games, because it's also the year of Starcraft and Ocarina of Time.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 9, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

DoombatINC posted:

Oh, B.O.S., how you disappointed me. It was released as a lower-budget game here, and I hoped for dumb mindless fun. Not only the game was at first horribly optimized, with some really strange visual design (everything looks so heavy and bulky) and confusing gameplay. Somehow, they squeezed two stand-alone expansion packs, the first one I remember had two extra-long missions? And the third one was in Vietnam, because for a short moment games in Vietnam were the thing.

And speaking of Chaser, I finally bought another obscure FPS curiosity: Revolution, developed by Romanian studio Fun Labs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoftImSXgmI
(it spoils the ending... not that you should care)

You can see that it was supposed to be studio's magnum opus, with grand scale, cyberpunk atmosphere, some similarities to Half-Life 2, yet it completely fails and it seems the studio bit more than it could chew. It was their last original game, and since then they're showing licensed titles like there's no tomorrow.

Actually, the release of Half-Life revolutionized the genre so much, that not many studios were able to compete. Also games that were created by "dream teams" of modders and authors failed to impress (SiN, Daikatana), new engines were wonky (Lithtech was such a disappointment it's hard to believe, Q2 was not that impressive without some major reworking,), arena/tournament games were the hottest thing ever, and Unreal was the swansong of classic FPS design, making way to more realistic, movie-like games, like H-L, AvP or just ditching the classic run n gun gameplay altogether (Looking Glass Studio's whole output of the era, Rainbow Six, Delta Force, Trespasser). There were still some outstanding games, even from the pure visual design qualities (KISS, McGee's Alice, Evil Twin - yes those are TPP/3d platformers, but they had that neo gothic cyber hell style that was popular for a while).

laserghost fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 9, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Johnny Joestar posted:

dark messiah is pretty great as far as the actual gameplay goes, for sure. the source engine has been put to good use by some outside game devs over the years. i can't get over how boring and awful the protagonist is, though. sounds like they grabbed some random intern from the hall to do voice lines.

Sareth is occasionally really funny with how bland and :geno: he is, it's like the protagonist in Dark Corners of the Earth ("The stench of rotting flesh and death is overpowering :shrug:"). Also I don't know if it was intentional or just a hilariously unsubtle attempt to recapture a subtler game design decision in other games, but the dynamic between him and Xana feels like a hilarious send-up of the dynamic between Master Chief and Cortana, or even between Gordon Freeman and Alyx, where the player is pushed to project their attitudes into a blank slate character and can then be basically instructed/manipulated to accomplish objectives in the game by having a female character talk approvingly about them through their character. Only instead of saying poo poo like "wow great job player you're so smart, gold star!" she's more like "AHAHAHAHA EXCELLENT EXCELLENT, MURDER THEM ALL FEAST ON THEIR FLESH AND gently caress ME IN HELL FOREVER". It's pretty refreshing and Sareth's total lack of affect plays off her pretty well, it may be one of the hammiest performances in the history of FPS.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 9, 2016

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Max Wilco posted:

I just downloaded OBS and tried recording footage. I got it to work, but the quality is really bad, and it saves the files as an .flv. Is there a way to record it at a higher quality, or change the file output? I'm going through the OBS settings right now, and I can't find anything that will let me do that.

EDIT: I found a guide to record higher quality videos (https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.16/) and I was able to record something that looks a lot better.

EDIT2: I was able to record video, but I still can't find a way change the output from .flv. I tried converting to an MP4 with VLC Player, but there was no sound when I tried playing it back in Media Player, and I couldn't open it in Sony Movie Studio. I guess I'll just drop it for now and try buying Fraps when I get the chance.

I don't want to turn the thread into A/V chat, but is there a reason why Shadowplay won't work with GZDoom? I've noticed that Shadowplay will recognize some games, but not others.

Not to derail too much, but my go-to video conversion software includes HandBrake, which converts to MP4 quite nicely. In a pinch, uploading an FLV to your YouTube account will allow you to download it back as an MP4 file, as well. Just make sure to keep it private if you don't want it publicly available on YouTube.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I went ahead and made a thread for the new Doom, since its not exactly an early FPS and there's more information coming out about it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763691

I've long written it off, but some of the things I'm seeing now are actually getting me interested. Especially SnapMap, which looks slick as hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RyokoTK posted:

Is this sarcasm? Half-Life came out in 1998.

e: Thief came out in '98 as well and Thief 2 came out in 2000.
e2: Also Unreal came out in '98 and so did Turok 2. 1998 was an insanely good year for video games, because it's also the year of Starcraft and Ocarina of Time.

He said "between"

Quake 2 was released in '97
Halo was released in 2001.

Every game you mentioned takes place exactly within the range he stated, 97-01. You're making arguments for why he's right.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I think "nadir" might have the opposite meaning than you think it does

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

daft punk railroad posted:

I think "nadir" might have the opposite meaning than you think it does

Yeah I get it mixed up with 'zeith' my bad.

In that case that guy is crazy because that is definitely the sweet spot of FPS games, not the 'dark ages'.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
FPS gaming hasn't really had a nadir of any noticeable time really, there's been at least one really good FPS game every year since Wolfenstein 3D.

1992: Wolfenstein 3D
1993: Doom
1994: Doom 2
1995: Descent, Star Wars: Dark Forces
1996: Duke Nukem 3D, Quake
1997: Quake 2
1998: Half-Life, Unreal
1999: Counter-Strike, System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament
2000: Deus Ex, Quake 3, Hitman
2001: Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Tribes 2, Operation Flashpoint
2002: Battlefield 1942, Hitman 2
2003: Planetside, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Call of Duty
2004: Unreal Tournament 2004, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry
2005: Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, F.E.A.R.
2006: Battlefield 2142, Hitman: Blood Money, Prey,
2007: BioShock, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Crysis
2008: Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2
2009: Borderlands, ARMA 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Wolfenstein (2009)
2010: Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Fallout: New Vegas
2011: Battlefield 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Portal 2, Bulletstorm
2012: Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Planetside 2
2013: Battlefield 4, Metro: Last Light, Shadow Warrior (2013)
2014: Wolfenstein: The New Order, Far Cry 4
2015: Battlefield Hardline, Fallout 4

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 9, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Segmentation Fault posted:

FPS gaming hasn't really had a nadir of any noticeable time really, there's been at least one really good FPS game every year since Wolfenstein 3D.

At most you might be able to argue that it has been stuck in rut for a few periods, with some years being smothered in franchise releases (and little else) offering incremental upgrades on what was delivered in the previous version. But even then, it would be disingenuous to dismiss them as bad FPSes. They just didn't push the envelope as much as happened during the peak years.

I suppose there's the viewpoint that average and uninspired is worse than being outright bad because at least then there's some humorous fun to be derived from it, but in that case, those bland years will have enough funny-bad games to make up fro the shortfall anyway.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 9, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I thought maybe they were thinking of that scary time when Quake III was announced and people were afraid that everyone would stop making single-player FPSes.

But then I checked and Q3 came out in 1999, the same year as System Shock 2 and a year before Deus Ex. So anyone who was worried wasn't worried for long.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

:gonk: well we had a good run

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Geight posted:

:gonk: well we had a good run

honestly I liked both of them :shrug:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Someone forgot S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They also forgot the Jedi Knight games that mattered.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 9, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That all just supports his point that every year was good for FPSes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Also the true darling of FPS in 2015 is Rainbow Six Siege.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jehde posted:

Also the true darling of FPS in 2015 is Rainbow Six Siege.

In the "it's terrible, but somehow mesmerising" sense, yes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

1992: Wolfenstein 3D
1993: Doom
1994: Doom 2
1995: Descent, Star Wars: Dark Forces
1996: Duke Nukem 3D, Quake
1997: Quake 2
1998: Half-Life, Unreal
1999: Counter-Strike, System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament
2000: Deus Ex, Quake 3, Hitman
2001: Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Tribes 2, Operation Flashpoint
2002: Battlefield 1942, Hitman 2
2003: Planetside, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Call of Duty
2004: Unreal Tournament 2004, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry
2005: Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, F.E.A.R.
2006: Battlefield 2142, Hitman: Blood Money, Prey,

Always bet on Duke, the lack of DNF on this list is ungroovy. I'd have DNF kick Bulletstorm out of the list with a mighty boot.

(this is my new thing, defend a game, toss a game under the bus so somebody can defend that one, circle of life)

Since we were talking about single-player FPS games, and I find the recent war ones boring and some of these are more like RPGs, there are some weak years in there for me.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Upon reading this, my struggle to understand why some of the posters in this thread reflexively rush to defend Doom (2016) has been resolved.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
My list is by absolutely no means authoritative, complete, or even competent. I just wanted to illustrate that every year had a good FPS come out for it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Listing Fallout 4 as a good FPS. :psyduck:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looked like a decent FPS from what I saw of a friend streaming it.

Probably a better FPS than RPG at this point, anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Looked like a decent FPS from what I saw of a friend streaming it.

Probably a better FPS than RPG at this point, anyway.

Its still more RPG than FPS, but the FPS parts got better and the RPG parts got worse since 3.

I'd still say its more RPG than FPS though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think FPS games have been in a slump for a long time now.

My own list:

1993 - Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
1996 - Duke Nukem 3D
1997 - Duke Nukem - Nuclear Winter, Codename: Tenka
2000 - Catechumen
2011 - Duke Nukem Forever
2016 - ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The truly hosed up thing is that there's no nod to Metroid Prime on that list, which is hosed up because it's a top 10 game of any genre of all time.