Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I just had the greatest thing ever happen. Encountered a pod of 7 chryssalids and a gatekeeper. popped my last grenade got them to about 6 or 7 hp each and had 4 other dudes go to town on the gatekeeper. then had my hanzo steel wielding ranger pop reaper and killed all of them in one turn. i am so sad i wasnt recording that. You weirdos who hate on xcom swords are dumb because they are incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Internet Kraken posted:

It feels like every mission I find a new ridiculous bug.

Just killed an advent stun lancer with overwatch. When the alien turn was supposed to end, the game zoomed in on its corpse and I heard the sound of footsteps. A few seconds later, the corpse teleported to one of my troops, got back up, hitshim with an attack that didn't do anything, and then collapsed once again.

:psyduck:

Anyways, if I mind control an enemy with rift/insanity how long do they stay under my control?

Animation bugs out often on melee attacks, I had a stun lancer try to stab bladestorm ranger and get killed, what actually got shown: lancer gets up in his cover, falls over and then his dead body gets catapulted past ranger.
I think all of insanity effects last for 2 turns.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Just managed an avenger defence in 2 turns. Blaster bombed it first, ran up a concealment ranger wearing a wraith suit, an smg and a speed PCS, hacked a sectopod, ran back.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm still going through my first game on veteran. I actually failed to rescue enough civilians on my second retaliation mission. The third came up while my game was bugged and none of the enemies moved at all, allowing me to complete missions with impunity. That was when I was first encountered chrysalids. So my fourth mission comes up, see chrysalids, and even though I'm at the top of the tech tree, I'm nervous about rescuing enough civilians to succeed. I load the mission, and I immediately see just northwest of my starting point:

None of them were Faceless.
:xcom:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Lightning Hands is so good that I even take it on my sniper snipers. The minor extra damage from Deadeye isn't good enough to offset a free damage every 3 turns.

Yep, and this is exactly why while I wish I liked sniper snipers more (and gently caress I love Killzone), Gunslinger is just plain better. Pistols may not be a ton of damage but they are several points of pretty reliable damage per round that you can spread out to several enemies to clean up with.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I put Bluescreen bullets on my Gunslinger and she ended up being an absolute murder machine-machine murderer, easily top 1 or 2 MVP soldier. The game's worst enemies are almost all mechanical and it so, so satisfying to slaughter a sectopod or gatekeeper with a single Fan Fire. You can get 5 shots off in a single round, which is generally enough to kill anything that moves.

Only downside to Gunslingers I find is that Faceoff can be buggy and sometimes just shoots one guy.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 9, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kenshin posted:

Yep, and this is exactly why while I wish I liked sniper snipers more (and gently caress I love Killzone), Gunslinger is just plain better. Pistols may not be a ton of damage but they are several points of pretty reliable damage per round that you can spread out to several enemies to clean up with.

best feeling is group firing 7 codex with emp rounds.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MikeC posted:

-Its too bad the end game where you can field multiple colonels and have the crazy experimental and heavy gear to kit them out is so short. Early game is fine but feels RNGish where as the final 1/4 to 1/5 of the game is where the game can activate multiple pods on your rear end but your killer squad has all the tools it needs to get out of the jam.
This is why I'm looking forward to doing another playthrough with no Avatar clock. Just fly around stomping on aliens as long as I want until I get bored.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ahhh now I remember why XCOM 1 used to frustrate me.

50% means 0%!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Ahhh now I remember why XCOM 1 used to frustrate me.

50% means 0%!

50% does mean zero. It's like low cover, it's a trap. Shots to take: Enemy's cover blown up by grenadier, or enemy flanked, or free overwatch shots when enemy pod discovers you/you ambush them, or bullshit special abilities.

Otherwise? Basic shots for dudes in cover? I plan for every shot missing or I'm moving to get a better shot.

(this does not excuse my entire fireteam from missing a single sectopod two rounds in a row, gently caress you game)

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Sniper Snipers are still insanely good if you stack aim+height bonuses, they are basically old school XCOM 1 snipers.

This time, however, they have access to grapples, death from above, killzone, and serial, which makes them absolutely nuts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like that Gunslingers are as strong and versatile as they are, pure Snipers were absurdly good in the previous game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What the gently caress, I just had a patrol trip my concealed dude and he got a shot as the pod activated? How the gently caress does that work?

I keep finding new rules that I don't know about that get my dudes thrown in the medbay :saddowns:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I like that Gunslingers are as strong and versatile as they are, pure Snipers were absurdly good in the previous game.

Yeah the gunslinger is a really good class, though I'd say until you get faceoff they are only ok, and when you get fan fire they become absolute monsters. Pure sniper is crazy strong from the start but you have to have the aim tech to compensate for it (aim PCS, tracer rounds, etc)

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
I've been stacking crit on one of my rangers and it's just absurd how much damage they deal. Super laser sights, talon rounds, and the 10% boost from guerrilla tactics add up to over 100% chance to crit on close enemies. I kind of regret not getting rapid fire on her since I assume that would be even more busted.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Microcline posted:

PSA if no one else has posted this:

You can still overwatch trap/Beaglewatch. The trick is that most of your team has to be out of concealment.

You need:
1. A way of seeing enemies without them seeing you (generally a phantom/conceal ranger, but battlescanners/scanning protocol also work)
2. A sniper with Long Watch

On your turn, use 1 to find an un-activated pod. Move your team into good cover outside of the enemy's visual range and have everyone overwatch.

On the enemy turn, the pod moves, triggering the sniper's overwatch shot. This activates the pod, which moves into visual range triggering the rest of the overwatch shots.

If you do this, you get
1. Five overwatch shots against uncovered enemies
2. All of your moves available
3. You claimed the superior position so you can use both moves to attack instead of having to advance to cover
4. You know what's ahead so you can flank with rangers without worrying about activating more pods

This works on pretty much every untimed map and even on timed maps it's still useful to activate pods with Long Watch.

This works on timed missions you just have to get near your target. The AI cheats and will almost always move towards you unless its stuck.

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm still going through my first game on veteran. I actually failed to rescue enough civilians on my second retaliation mission. The third came up while my game was bugged and none of the enemies moved at all, allowing me to complete missions with impunity. That was when I was first encountered chrysalids. So my fourth mission comes up, see chrysalids, and even though I'm at the top of the tech tree, I'm nervous about rescuing enough civilians to succeed. I load the mission, and I immediately see just northwest of my starting point:

Just ignore civilians on retaliations and try to see them like turns. Sometimes you get lucky and they miss the civilian. Faceless do not count on the civilian counter so there is always +2 more. Move up and kill pods.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 9, 2016

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

victrix posted:

What the gently caress, I just had a patrol trip my concealed dude and he got a shot as the pod activated? How the gently caress does that work?

I keep finding new rules that I don't know about that get my dudes thrown in the medbay :saddowns:
If the pod stumbles over you (flanks your dude within the reveal radius) the enemy who spotted him gets a shot, the rest run for cover. It's usually not a good idea to let enemies activate by finding you unless you're willing to take a hit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

misguided rage posted:

If the pod stumbles over you (flanks your dude within the reveal radius) the enemy who spotted him gets a shot, the rest run for cover. It's usually not a good idea to let enemies activate by finding you unless you're willing to take a hit.

Yeah that was 'intentional' on my part (using a concealed Ranger to trip the ambush), but apparently I've never let an enemy spot me like that before, so it was a rude surprise (and cancelled her overwatch :mad:). Apparently I should have just fired!

edit: Holy poo poo annoying bug, enemy reinforcements inbound annnnd... the flare vanished. I have no idea where they're landing now.

victrix fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 9, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I dropped my Bladestorm ranger into an ADVENT facility to plant a bomb, woke up three snakes. They all try to hug me, they all die, I plant the bomb and leave.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am awful at this. 3 missions failed on Ironman in a row. Thank you Sectoid mind-control. Apparently if they mind control one of your units with Overwatch on, it stays on and kills your dudes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Phew just completed my first game on Commander difficulty. What a great, stressful game.

(Some savescumming towards the end, I'm afraid. What can I say, I got a bit tired/hasty...)

MVPs:

Demo, a grenadier who rolled *rapid fire*. You can imagine how much fun this is with shredder, holotargetting, and some plus aim.

Cowboy was ironically my rifle sniper. Killzone was incredible as an initiator from concealment, also rolled Hail of Bullets, which curiously allowed him to move and fire (at 100% accuracy too) with the rifle. Albeit not with squad sight.

Freak was my unfortunately named psi trooper. Holy crap guys psi is amazing. Special tip - null lances penetrate but do not harm walls. This rocks about as much as you think.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Dumb question but does the AWC just give each person one perk or can you get multiple?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

This works on timed missions you just have to get near your target. The AI cheats and will almost always move towards you unless its stuck.

This is just confirmation bias. Multiple times I've ended up chasing AI halfway across the map just trying to set up overwatch traps. The AI follows a random patrol path, that is all.

Once you get better abilities, many of your characters end up with better things to do than a concealed overwatch, anyway. Setting your entire team to over watch is too slow, also.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fangz posted:

This is just confirmation bias. Multiple times I've ended up chasing AI halfway across the map just trying to set up overwatch traps. The AI follows a random patrol path, that is all.

Once you get better abilities, many of your characters end up with better things to do than a concealed overwatch, anyway. Setting your entire team to over watch is too slow, also.

Go into a map, sneak around a group. Then on your turn move one guy away and overwatch. They will follow him where ever he moves. I learned about it trying to solid snake missions. They wont even walk away if you just sit there either.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Go into a map, sneak around a group. Then on your turn move one guy away and overwatch. They will follow him where ever he moves.

Nope. Dude, I've played this game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you heal a dude to full during a mission, does that have any bearing on the severity of post battle wounds, or is it totally random once wounded period? Just wondering if I should waste time with unnecessary heals or not.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Progress!

I forgot to change the description away from the example mod description, heh

So when you purchase Magnetic assault rifles, it'll add in a second conventional AR with the Mag rifle's stats, allowing you to pick and choose which model of rifle you want if you don't like the look of one or the other. All weapon attachments will stay on the same model so upgrading to magnetic weapons will move your AR's attachments to the "Assault Rifle (M)" (which is what it's called in my files now), and when you get beams the attachments will go to the "Assault Rifle (B)". Best I can do given I have no clue how to do something more complex.

Now I just have to do this with every other weapon, as well as add in the lines so attachments will display properly :suicide:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

victrix posted:

If you heal a dude to full during a mission, does that have any bearing on the severity of post battle wounds, or is it totally random once wounded period? Just wondering if I should waste time with unnecessary heals or not.

Nope he was wounded.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

So no spoilers but holy poo poo does the end cutscene lay it on thick as to what the next game/expansion is going to be.

People said the same about XCOM 1 :v:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

victrix posted:

Healing during battle keeps them in the fight but has no impact on their post-battle wounds.

One is mid-battle drugs and clotting factor and the other is long term recuperation.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

victrix posted:

I believe recovery time is based on the minimum level your HP reached, so no, healing like that won't help.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Insert name here posted:

Progress!

So when you purchase Magnetic assault rifles, it'll add in a second conventional AR with the Mag rifle's stats, allowing you to pick and choose which model of rifle you want if you don't like the look of one or the other. All weapon attachments will stay on the same model so upgrading to magnetic weapons will move your AR's attachments to the "Assault Rifle (M)" (which is what it's called in my files now), and when you get beams the attachments will go to the "Assault Rifle (B)". Best I can do given I have no clue how to do something more complex.

Now I just have to do this with every other weapon, as well as add in the lines so attachments will display properly :suicide:

That's neat. So if you have custom upgrades on one weapon when you research the next tier it will make a NEW weapon with exactly the same upgrades for you to use?

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

I want a mod that gives us back the original Mutons/Berserkers/Ethereals/Sectopods in place of their XCOM 2 variants. They were iconic in a way that the homo-sapiens-DNA-studded future just isn't.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Gridlocked posted:

That's neat. So if you have custom upgrades on one weapon when you research the next tier it will make a NEW weapon with exactly the same upgrades for you to use?
It works exactly the same as it does in the base game, but instead of having your attachments automatically moved from "Conventional -> Mag -> Beam" weapons it'll move them to the new weapon with the upgraded stats. So it goes "Conventional -> Conventional (Mag stats) -> Conventional (Beam stats)", so you can keep using bullet weapons throughout the entire game while still upping your damage.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Berserker's do look weird as hell in this game. They look like roided up old nekkid dudes.

Muton's origionally looked human-ish so I dont mind Slender Mutons.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Insert name here posted:

It works exactly the same as it does in the base game, but instead of having your attachments automatically moved from "Conventional -> Mag -> Beam" weapons it'll move them to the new weapon with the upgraded stats. So it goes "Conventional -> Conventional (Mag stats) -> Conventional (Beam stats)", so you can keep using bullet weapons throughout the entire game while still upping your damage.

Will it keep them on a copy of the Mag/Beam versions as well? Like if I like having a particular dude with a ConventionalSniper but then I want the BeamSniper model on another character; will the upgrades also appear on the upgraded model?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Progress!

Aces, dude. Do you think it's possible to do the same with the EXO/WAR suit wrist-launcher? I posted about it on the More Armor Customization mod's page (Steamname: jake, though here he's the dude with the Quake 1 Ranger face), and turns out that piece is a weapon entry, not a part of the armor.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I just realized the shadow chamber lets you see an estimation of enemy types and total amount before launching a mission. This is awsome.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shoenin posted:

Berserker's do look weird as hell in this game. They look like roided up old nekkid dudes.

Muton's origionally looked human-ish so I dont mind Slender Mutons.

Berserkers are the females! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

A three archon surprise comes barreling at my flank from a dinky little mini-mart back room while I'm engaged with Mr. Sectopod and his Advent buddies in a desperate attempt to reach the objective in time. gently caress you Jake.