Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Well if you're going to get absorbed in your delusions you might as well make your world so fantastical reality can't get in.

this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The best way to get market share estimates is to pick an arbitrarily high number, multiply it by an arbitrarily low number, and just roll with it.

But god I want to see CRI decide to waste even more backer money getting into the peripherals business for no reason whatsoever.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ahahaha, never mind the pie in the sky, just how stupid can you be to link to the earnings reports and fail to realize that the numbers are in thousand of dollars? Yes, I am sure that madcatz only sold around 100 idrisses worth of poo poo during 2015.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Lol Crater posted the net income from 2011, which was $10.8 million, per the linked PDF (see page 33 in the document below).

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NTkxMDE1fENoaWxkSUQ9Mjk4ODg1fFR5cGU9MQ==&t=1

The net income at end of March, 2015 was $4.7 million. But despite his error, you don't value a company based on earnings from one year.

Ironically, the equity of the company this past quarter was around $10 million. But that will probably be reduced if they post more losses tomorrow afternoon, when the next quarter's earnings are announced...

Oh, what's this? On page 49 of the PDF (document page 43), it shows MadCatz did _not_ use an independent accounting firm to audit their financial statements. Hmm, reminds one of some other company we know...

"Because we are a smaller reporting company, this Annual Report does not include an attestation report of
our registered public accounting firm regarding internal control over financial reporting. Management’s report
was not subject to attestation by our independent registered public accounting firm."

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 9, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

trucutru posted:

Ahahaha, never mind the pie in the sky, just how stupid can you be to link to the earnings reports and fail to realize that the numbers are in thousand of dollars? Yes, I am sure that madcatz only sold around 100 idrisses worth of poo poo during 2015.

I never want the CRI community to go away

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Update on my chargeback: the bank has issued it provisionally, but they've sent me a letter requesting a more complete summary of the reasons why I think one is deserved in this case. Anyone want to help me out with some convenient summaries? I'm trying to build a case that they basically sold me a package of digital goods, failed to deliver on 75% of it (and what they did deliver was completely broken from any objective standard) and then changed their own terms to attempt to deny the refund. To that end I'm looking for links specifically related to:

1) Changing the terms of service regarding refunds when it became apparent they weren't going to hit their deadlines
2) Denying refunds on the basis of "Game completion" (I will put this alongside some of the recent videos that should demonstrate how transparently false this is)
3) Evidence of refunds being issued just a few months ago and evidence of refund denial now due to the whole "14 days" thing despite that not being anywhere in their terms.
4) Evidence that they now intend to drop major sections of the game despite having sold them previously- statements like them disregarding Star Marine, among other things.
5) Some links to articles about the shaky nature of the game- I'll use the Escapist for sure, but if there are others it'd be helpful.
6) I'll also throw in my own correspondence with them where they tried to claim that chargebacks are fraudulent in cases like this.

Help me compile this and I'll make a big form letter that can be copy-pasted for future chargeback disputes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sarsapariller posted:

3) Evidence of refunds being issued just a few months ago and evidence of refund denial now due to the whole "14 days" thing despite that not being anywhere in their terms.

Not a few months ago, I got one literally 4 days ago. If you need something to show them that other people are getting refunds I'd be happy to fwd the emails.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Mad Catz always attach themselves to the wrong games, they also had a Titanfall series of mouse and keyboards.

They also produce the most unconformable mouse in the world.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
They already denied you with the 14 day thing Sarsapariller?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not a few months ago, I got one literally 4 days ago.

Because dang. Is their policy darts?

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

I finally got my refund, so can now sit back and laugh at all this.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Solar Plebian
The future has not been kind to humanity. The influx of mass entertainment and advances in technology have eliminated the need for humans to be productive. Physical labor, industry, in time even intellectual pursuits were usurped by the superior abilities and expediency of increasingly intelligent machines. Left to their own devices humans descended into irrelevance and a meaningless pursuit of pleasure. The same machines that eliminated the need for labor introduced interfaces that provided ultimate fidelity and immersion through a direct link with the mind. Humanity's addiction to entertainment encouraged greater and greater sacrifices. Inconvenient bodily functions were steadily removed, surgically replaced with machines, until the ultimate efficiency was achieved by simply removing the brain from the host and placing it in a small liquid-filled container with wires. The end result is humanity as it is now known.

You are a brain in a jar. You are playing a game. You know this. Everybody knows this. The Robots think it's funnier that way.

It turns out humans aren't the only intelligence capable of seeking entertainment. The need for variety and novelty is necessary in all sentient minds, artificial or organic, and as purely logical creations machines find the unpredictability of organics immensely fascinating. As a result stocks of humans are maintained. Your particular batch has been connected to a game of starships and aliens, of planetary exploration and laser blasts. For years you were immersed in the game, in a genre called "science fiction" that was all too real for you. Very recently the Robots decided the rules needed to be changed, and revealed the truth of your reality. Some tried to kill themselves, only to discover they would respawn in a bunk over and over again. Others denied the truth and continued to maintain their lives as they were before even when confronted with the absurdity of it. Still others embraced the reality of their meaningless existence and decided to "break" the game, attacking others and indulging in a life of chaos.

Welcome to Solar Plebian, Commando. What role will you play?

alf_pogs posted:

this has to be read out by lawrence fishburne as morpheus

From a few pages back, but I was inspired to do a narration of Beer's backstory for Solar Plebian. Was fun to play around with audacity.

http://picosong.com/8age

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

nightwisher posted:

Say what you want about E:D but I personally got burnt by their sale they put on a few weeks ago. Bought the base game for 20bux, not knowing there was a standalone expansion coming literally a few days later that costs $40 in addition, and it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the product page. So now I have to spend more money than what I would have in the first place because of a shady sale timing. Still managed to get a refund though, thankfully, so my opinion of Frontier is better than CIG at least. But man, that was a lovely loving move.

Posting from 20 pages ago:

I bought the base game at full price, they put up their xpac 2 weeks later with the "if you buy both of them now it costs the same as the base did last week" sale going on. I contacted their CSR and they refunded me the difference between what I paid and what the sale was.

It's amazing what a competent and willing-to-please business will do if you just ask :v:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not a few months ago, I got one literally 4 days ago. If you need something to show them that other people are getting refunds I'd be happy to fwd the emails.

Yes please do- I'd PM you for details, but you haven't got premium. Just fire anything you think might be relevant to jnicholas@gmail.com and I'll go through it. Thank you!

For funsies, here is the angry email I sent to CIG when they told me that a chargeback in this case would be fraudulent. I am going to edit this into a much more professional and complete version before I fire it off to the bank, but it's the basis for my argument:

Me posted:

I appreciate that you are taking the time to make a personal response. I also appreciate that you have given these requests consideration in the past- that consideration and the fact that you followed up shortly afterwards with a your Alpha release is what prompted me to put money back in. Unfortunately the company has failed to live up to that standard in the months since, releasing virtually no further improvements and refusing to speak to release dates. The latest indication by Chris Roberts that he no longer intends to produce a significant portion of the product despite having sold it as being nearly out the door for the entirety of the last year is my final straw (http://www.informationredux.com/index.php/2016/01/25/star-citizens-star-marine-module-officially-cancelled/). There is nothing fraudulent about filing a chargeback claim in this case. Shall we go over the reasons?

Valid chargeback reasons:

Non-receipt of information.
Fraud.
Authorization error.
Processing error.
Canceled / returned merchandise.
Non-receipt of goods or services.

1) Services not provided or merchandise not received
1a) The pack that I am pledged for, the Armada pack, includes a copy of Squadron 42 for digital download and a copy of the Star Citizen persistent universe. Squadron 42's initial release date was somewhere in 2014. Citations:
i) Interview with CEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYFCfRK4e6Y&t=1187s
ii) Article from a separate interview with CEO: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/883/feature/7539/Star-Citizen-E3-2013-Chatting-Star-Citizen-with-Chris-Roberts.html

1b) Somehow that release date has slipped and slipped again. In 2014, you said 2016. Citations:
i) Producer Eric Peterson and Phil Meller discussing the release date on your channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllp5o5Qkq0&t=23m58s
ii) Erin Roberts in an interview: http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/b/519001941?t=11m13s

1c) Now you will not even give release dates. Judging by what you have done with the Star Marine section of the game, where your CEO extremely dishonestly insisted that it was not cancelled (Citation i), and multiple representatives of your company maintained that party line (Citation ii), until a few days ago when it was announced that what has been released in your alpha test build was the intended product all along- based on this, it is incredibly difficult to believe that you have any intention of delivering the other products that you sold to me.
i) "In January (2014), Roberts said that Star Marine would be arriving in the spring. The module was delayed and is now slated to arrive some time in the next few weeks. At the time of the delay, earlier this year, Roberts had no new release date and several outlets, including Polygon, reported it as being "delayed indefinitely," something at which the studio bristled." http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/8/31/9211969/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-star-citizen
ii) The saga of Star Marine: http://www.justagamemode.com/

1d) I cannot link you the sales description of the Armada Pack because you have actually removed it from your website(Citation i). However, according to the version attached to my account, it should come with the following ships in-game: Gladius, Super Hornet, Starfarer Gemini, Vanguard, Idris-P Frigate, Retaliator, Constellation, Freelancer MIS. Not only are two of those ships, whose individual values total well over $1000, still in production after three years, but the ships that you have provided are non-functional in almost every way. I would not bring this up except you are citing the current state of the game as grounds for refusing refunds, so I am assuming you expect that you have satisfied the terms of your sale. The turrets do not work (Citation ii), the stations do not work (Citation iii), and the game itself is practically non-functional in its current state (Citations iv, v, vi). Since you announce no dates and have issued no significant improvements since the launch of the game last year I can only assume that the current unacceptable state is your intended release. The merchandise you have delivered is in unacceptable condition and is not remotely what you promised during sale.
i) Armada Pack 404s- https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/Armada-Pack
ii) Current gameplay in Retaliator and Constellation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONW_ciiHym8
iii) Current gameplay: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIqrn49mZ5c)
iv) Current gameplay- (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJfh3r7nq9o)
v) Current gameplay- (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI)
vi) Current gameplay- (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HXtqdiqsA)

I also find it interesting that not even 5 months ago you were publicly giving full refunds (http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/20/9180067/star-citizen-backers-claiming-refunds-are-getting-their-money-back) but now feel that you delivered sufficient content to warrant their denial, per your letter above, which appears to be boilerplate: (https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zb4iv/refund_denied/)

In any case- thank you for your time. I will now pursue a chargeback.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sarsapariller posted:

Yes please do- I'd PM you for details, but you haven't got premium. Just fire anything you think might be relevant to jnicholas@gmail.com and I'll go through it. Thank you!

For funsies, here is the angry email I sent to CIG when they told me that a chargeback in this case would be fraudulent. I am going to edit this into a much more professional and complete version before I fire it off to the bank, but it's the basis for my argument:

:boom:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Beautiful. This thread is full of stars.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sarsapariller posted:

Done, yours is far more professional, I guess vague threats to bring governmental bodies down on them are more effective than proving that their game is a pile of poo poo.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Sarsapariller posted:

So I would link the Citizen con when CR stated that they will not give release dates,

Last weeks videos when Hobo and company stated that nothing was finished, and there is a link of Hobo stating that most companies would not even call this an alpha.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Sandweed posted:

Mad Catz always attach themselves to the wrong games, they also had a Titanfall series of mouse and keyboards.

Not a popular opinion here, as a RAT. M.M.O owner, they really are good pieces of tech tho.
And they do sit quite comfortable in the hand.

Good materials to, way better then most of the plastic crap Razer brings out.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You have to be a special kind of dumb to think that a peripheral maker who has products in retail chains globally, only made $200,000 sales in a year (and loss of $10,000). Should I check what units these figures are in... nah, lets get carried away with my Star Citizen dreams.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
They've made poo poo way too difficult now, here is the simple email I sent, and with a little back and forth confirmation (and patience), got my $400 back from CIG:

quote:

Hello,
My name is [Kimsemus], I was a very early backer (2012) for Star Citizen, but I am now requesting a refund for the money I have spent. The game I was promised then, and since then, is not the game that is being delivered now, and it is not being delivered on the timeframe promised. As such, I feel that the money I have spent is not in line with CIG’s current vision or for what is presently being advertised. I understand that making a game takes much time and effort, however, what I agreed to back in the past is not what is being delivered now. I would like a full refund, as none of the products I’ve purchased have actually been “used” in a meaningful way, or been privy to function or application in the game that was promised.
Since I’ve been backing over several years, I know longer have access to some of those original bank accounts so I hope they can be refunded to my current Visa or Paypal.

The relevant order IDs are:

[Several order IDs]

The total amount should equal $400.00 USD.
My current paypal address, if relevant, is [my paypal address]
Please contact me with any further questions.
Regards,

[Kimsemus]

A day or so later, I got a response from someone named Mike Meaden at CIG:

quote:

Hey there,
I'm happy to confirm that we've authorised your refund request. I just need to run you through the process and receive one last confirmation before I proceed.
First of all the following things will not be refundable:
• Pledges/packages received from other users
• Pledges/packages sent to other users
• Pledges/packages purchased with store credit that came from gifted pledges
• Subscription payments
• Delivered physical items
With this in mind I have researched your account log and history and determined that the amount you are entitled to comes to $400.00 USD. If you would like to see a more in-depth breakdown please let me know and I will detail how I came to this value.
I will also need you to confirm your PayPal e-mail address in case your orders are too old to reverse. Any order which is older than 14 days is not normally eligible for a refund and the payment handlers we use do not support reversals after this grace period. In these cases we will issue a PayPal Send Money order manually. If you do not own a PayPal account would you be averse to creating one for this purpose?
Given the above information and refundable amount. Would you still like to proceed with the refund? Note that this is your final confirmation and the refund will be actioned as soon as I receive your reply (or not, should the case be retracted by yourself). This refund should appear on your statement with 7-10 working days.
Additionally, this will result in a full account closure. We will not be able to leave any remaining pledges active, nor will we be able to leave the account open. These actions, whilst unfortunate, are mandatory and permanent. This is the primary reason I require one last confirmation that you wish to proceed. :)
Thanks,
Mike

I then asked a basic question as to why they were closing accounts, just to mine some info:

quote:

Hey [Kimsemus]
Refunds past the initial grace period of 14 days, or such longer grace period as required by applicable local regulations, are entirely exceptional. Our TOS entitles you to a refund if requested within this grace period but not for any refunds requested thereafter. In accordance with our TOS we are not legally obligated to offer a refund in this case.
However, as a goodwill gesture we have made an exception to offer a refund despite these facts. There will be no entry for this in our TOS because of the exceptional nature of this offer. The condition for this is that we do not offer partial refunds or allow refunded accounts to remain open in these cases. Without this measure, the system would be open to abuse.
This stance allows us to counter abuse inherent with making goodwill gestures of this kind. This is as much for our protection as it is to honour your request.
Let me know if you'd still like to proceed. :)
Thanks,
Mike

Then I got a couple emails apologizing for a delay since Mike was out of the office from someone named Patrick Probst, then:

quote:

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience thus far. I am happy to confirm that I have actioned the refund for $400.00 USD via PayPal Send Money. It can take 5-10 working days for the funds to appear.

Your old account has also been permanently de-activated. This account has also been re-activated.

Should you have any further questions or concerns let me know. :)
Thanks,
Mike

Hope that helps someone. His reactivation comment is because I created a parachute account for any items I couldn't actually get money back for, which apparently, at least at the time, CIG was okay with. This entire exchange took place between October 16 and November 12 of last year.

Based on some other chatter mails I got, it also appears that Mike Meaden was tasked exclusively with doing the refunds, as Patrick mentioned that he was sick and out of the office, which resulted in a backlog.

Derek wrote this, but he should really consider pasting it into the OP:

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2192

With people getting outright denied now, if you want out, you've nothing to lose by filing a complaint.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 9, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Tokamak posted:

You have to be a special kind of dumb to think that a peripheral maker who has products in retail chains globally, only made $200,000 sales in a year (and loss of $10,000). Should I check what units these figures are in... nah, lets get carried away with my Star Citizen dreams.

Isn't there a law against taking advantage of retards or something?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/chris-roberts-star-citizen-profile

quote:

Of course with feedback comes... shall I say 'negativity'. Roberts chuckles when I bring it up: "As long as you don't get bent out of shape that not everyone loves all of your ideas, then you're okay," he says, "You're never going to get that, it's impossible. I can't get six people to agree on where to go to lunch, so how am I going to get 500,000 people to agree on exactly how the flight model needs to be? It ain't going to happen. Especially on the internet."

But, after a short pause, Roberts does consider failure: "The risk of failure is the public support ends before I can get it to the point where everyone thinks it's great," he tells me, "I'd rather not think about it though. It's like asking what happens if you walk out the door tomorrow and get hit by a bus.

I guess in that case the last thing you hear is the fatal paaaaarp.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Isn't there a law against taking advantage of retards or something?
Not with crowdfunding, and not with an exploitative freemium pricing model either (as its advocates like to point out, it's not technically illegal so they're doing nothing wrong).

It's a brave new world, friend!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Dusty Lens posted:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/chris-roberts-star-citizen-profile

I guess in that case the last thing you hear is the fatal paaaaarp.

gently caress you chris roberts

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the point where everyone thinks its great is about 4 more years and another 100 million dollars with someone else at the helm.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Not with crowdfunding, and not with an exploitative freemium pricing model either (as its advocates like to point out, it's not technically illegal so they're doing nothing wrong).

It's a brave new world, friend!

Yeesh, thank god for crowdfunding, I mean darn those pesky publishers who nickel and dime you for every penny.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sandweed posted:

I have one of those from back when they were labelled Saitek. It's not bad to hold, however its lasers (2 of them) are utter poo poo that works only on special mats or clean white paper.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, I'm sure this game will somehow have the same mass appeal as Skyrim or Vice City

20 million copies sold would make it the 2nd best selling PC game of all time, only behind Minecraft

If I can do some math...

The development cost has been handled by pledgers, there are no companies or persons aside for some simple profit sharing agreements from current and ex employees to owe (which we'll assume final profits exceed final development cost). Assuming every cent is spent on development. We'll set the final tally of funds raised, which will be cited as the total development cost, at $120 million, because fuckit spergy whales are stupid.

Let's say, conservatively, SQ42 sells 300k units at $50.
$15 mil in revenue. All new units and sales.
And let's say that 60% of those sales will buy the next episode, or season pass as it may be marketed. Actually fuckit, 20% Season Pass, 30% new episode. $100 for the former and $40 for the latter.
$6 mil and ~$4mil.

So we have a total of $25 mil in revenue from SQ42 Launch.

Back when this was a $6.2 mil project, or even a $32 mil project, that's not a bad figure.

So we have $25 mil to spend over the course of, let's say 16 months of continued development to push SC out the door, accounting for roughly $1.2 mil monthly operating costs, $19.2 mil total. So profit has been cut down to $5.8 mil.
On top of this, let's assume the annual pledger amount also dips due to SQ42 release, sales and poo poo notwithstanding. $3 mil in 2017. However due to a product release this becomes profit. Back up to $8.8 mil.

Now, SC, as it stands it'll be $45 bucks a pop until release or something, but I suspect it will be a $60 retail. Conservatively, looking at customer bases the likes of Eve Online/E:D, let's say the new sales will be 200k units. At this point, NO OTHER PLEDGES.
$12 mil in revenue.
Note that there is no advertised "subscription" for the SC PU services. But for the sake of the VD Store or whatever it's called, they're able to gain about... $100k in monthly ship/skin/trinket/swag purchases.
Day/Month 1 in 2018 profit will total at about $20 mil give or take a million for the whole shebang so far.

However, Episode 2 of SC needs to be mocapped as well. The figure thrown around was $20 mil for the actors and the recording. Let's say that they simply can't do mocap the way CR did the first time, and the A-list stars can only do voice but knowing CR he'll still play with his mocap toys at Imagineerium, so let's cut the cost in half, $10 mil. So $10 mil in profit.

Let's surmise that operating costs will cut down with the launch of the SC PU, they'll still need server staff, CS, CMs/GMs, Foundry42, Santa Monica, and Frankfurt. Austin's turned into the basement ops with the GMs, CS, and server monkeys. So let's say CIG ops now cost... $800k per month.

From the launch of the Star Citizen PU, CIG needs to cover $9.6 mil in operations costs annually, plus $10 mil per each SQ42 episode. Let's round that out to $20 mil.

The VD Store will bring in $1.2 annually.
At $40 per episode, CIG will need to sell nearly half a million copies of SQ42 each year to keep up with development costs.

Let's say the manage to but only barely above the margin, only $5 mil in profit annually and a hell of a treadmill to keep pace with devops and production. But's let's be generous and say they manage to do this year after year.

2019: $15 mil total
2020: $20 mil total
2021: $25 mil total
etc
etc

IT WOULD TAKE 22 YEARS BREAK EVEN WITH THE FINAL PROJECTED DEVELOPMENT COST FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT IF EVERYTHING GOES MARGINALLY FINE!

As any prospective investor, to quote CR himself...

This is bullshit.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Well if you put it like that... But the vision man... the vision

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
what the gently caress are the chances that whatever cr farts out by q1 17 will sell 300k copies on top of what's already been sold? there must be like a third that many people in the world who want an interactive space opera to start with and every one of those fuckers are already backers.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Marching Powder posted:

what the gently caress are the chances that whatever cr farts out by q1 17 will sell 300k copies on top of what's already been sold? there must be like a third that many people in the world who want an interactive space opera to start with and every one of those fuckers are already backers.

Well, Chris Roberts is like George Lucas, so we just need to look up how many Star Wars games have sold :) Fortune Magazine says Star Wars Battlefront was selling six million copies a month, so 300k a month is completely reasonable. Easy, even.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Did SilverBullet ever manage to make an account and post? I might have missed it in the catch-up skim.

Also just saw the Mad Catz news.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Done, yours is far more professional, I guess vague threats to bring governmental bodies down on them are more effective than proving that their game is a pile of poo poo.

ACCC ain't nothin to gently caress with friend.

Any Aussies trying to get refunded the magic words are "chargeback" and "informed ACCC" if they deny you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The reason no other game has done something like "grabby-hands" and just use an inventory screen instead is because "grabby-hands" is loving stupid and pointless and unfun after the second time you try and wrestle cargo into your ship.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Bootcha posted:

If I can do some math...

The development cost has been handled by pledgers, there are no companies or persons aside for some simple profit sharing agreements from current and ex employees to owe (which we'll assume final profits exceed final development cost). Assuming every cent is spent on development. We'll set the final tally of funds raised, which will be cited as the total development cost, at $120 million, because fuckit spergy whales are stupid.

Let's say, conservatively, SQ42 sells 300k units at $50.
$15 mil in revenue. All new units and sales.
And let's say that 60% of those sales will buy the next episode, or season pass as it may be marketed. Actually fuckit, 20% Season Pass, 30% new episode. $100 for the former and $40 for the latter.
$6 mil and ~$4mil.

So we have a total of $25 mil in revenue from SQ42 Launch.

Back when this was a $6.2 mil project, or even a $32 mil project, that's not a bad figure.

So we have $25 mil to spend over the course of, let's say 16 months of continued development to push SC out the door, accounting for roughly $1.2 mil monthly operating costs, $19.2 mil total. So profit has been cut down to $5.8 mil.
On top of this, let's assume the annual pledger amount also dips due to SQ42 release, sales and poo poo notwithstanding. $3 mil in 2017. However due to a product release this becomes profit. Back up to $8.8 mil.

Now, SC, as it stands it'll be $45 bucks a pop until release or something, but I suspect it will be a $60 retail. Conservatively, looking at customer bases the likes of Eve Online/E:D, let's say the new sales will be 200k units. At this point, NO OTHER PLEDGES.
$12 mil in revenue.
Note that there is no advertised "subscription" for the SC PU services. But for the sake of the VD Store or whatever it's called, they're able to gain about... $100k in monthly ship/skin/trinket/swag purchases.
Day/Month 1 in 2018 profit will total at about $20 mil give or take a million for the whole shebang so far.

However, Episode 2 of SC needs to be mocapped as well. The figure thrown around was $20 mil for the actors and the recording. Let's say that they simply can't do mocap the way CR did the first time, and the A-list stars can only do voice but knowing CR he'll still play with his mocap toys at Imagineerium, so let's cut the cost in half, $10 mil. So $10 mil in profit.

Let's surmise that operating costs will cut down with the launch of the SC PU, they'll still need server staff, CS, CMs/GMs, Foundry42, Santa Monica, and Frankfurt. Austin's turned into the basement ops with the GMs, CS, and server monkeys. So let's say CIG ops now cost... $800k per month.

From the launch of the Star Citizen PU, CIG needs to cover $9.6 mil in operations costs annually, plus $10 mil per each SQ42 episode. Let's round that out to $20 mil.

The VD Store will bring in $1.2 annually.
At $40 per episode, CIG will need to sell nearly half a million copies of SQ42 each year to keep up with development costs.

Let's say the manage to but only barely above the margin, only $5 mil in profit annually and a hell of a treadmill to keep pace with devops and production. But's let's be generous and say they manage to do this year after year.

2019: $15 mil total
2020: $20 mil total
2021: $25 mil total
etc
etc

IT WOULD TAKE 22 YEARS BREAK EVEN WITH THE FINAL PROJECTED DEVELOPMENT COST FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT IF EVERYTHING GOES MARGINALLY FINE!

As any prospective investor, to quote CR himself...

This is bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtlpPfrgXA

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Daztek posted:

I am a jack of all trades, master of none :shobon:

Also, I am sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9elfrrF4M

MP3: http://we.tl/9xKTV0l5Ew

That's hauntingly beautiful.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

They've made poo poo way too difficult now, here is the simple email I sent, and with a little back and forth confirmation (and patience), got my $400 back from CIG:

A day or so later, I got a response from someone named Mike Meaden at CIG:

I then asked a basic question as to why they were closing accounts, just to mine some info:

Then I got a couple emails apologizing for a delay since Mike was out of the office from someone named Patrick Probst, then:

Hope that helps someone. His reactivation comment is because I created a parachute account for any items I couldn't actually get money back for, which apparently, at least at the time, CIG was okay with. This entire exchange took place between October 16 and November 12 of last year.

Based on some other chatter mails I got, it also appears that Mike Meaden was tasked exclusively with doing the refunds, as Patrick mentioned that he was sick and out of the office, which resulted in a backlog.

Derek wrote this, but he should really consider pasting it into the OP:

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2192

With people getting outright denied now, if you want out, you've nothing to lose by filing a complaint.

So between this and the Albion perma ban because lol SI, you're 1 and 1 this year, not bad.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

When one of the devs mentions a cappuccino the other looks down, tries not to laugh by sealing his mouth and generally has confused look in his eyes. I can only guess that the espresso machine is an in joke within CIG as well.

Anyone have a link to the time this happened?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Toops posted:

I'm not sure what to call the "Destruction Derby" Game mode, anybody got some good names? Right now I'm going with "Destructo-Derby Paaarp Arena" which is weak.

Basically, all weapons are deactivated, there is only ramming, and you can't leave the arena under pain of death. The object is to destroy your opponents. Last plebe standing wins.

Beyond kill points, you get points for the following:
- Ramming (there's Dinky, Boss, and SAVAGE ram levels)
- Ice Burns (where you flip around and blast enemies with your thruster exhaust)
- Paaarps (I'm not sure what a paaarp attack is yet, but it involves an airhorn. Maybe just a sonic blast radius on a long cooldown timer?)
- Fatalaties (ships have finishing moves)

Dildonics derby death dance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

starkebn posted:

The reason no other game has done something like "grabby-hands" and just use an inventory screen instead is because "grabby-hands" is loving stupid and pointless and unfun after the second time you try and wrestle cargo into your ship.

Is Croberts remaking Jurassic Park Trespasser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6A3SaRr26M

• Locked thread