Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

I need backup, BSS.

This is the cast of the anime Hunter x Hunter. I've never watched it because I can't get past how eye bleedingly terrible everyone's outfits are, though. People keep telling me I'm wrong, but am I wrong? Are those not terrible?

The outfits are pretty generic, but so is everything about that image. It's like someone programmed one of those deep dream computers to create an image encompassing the idea of "anime". I think that is what would be next to the encyclopedia britannica entry for anime, if they still did a print version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

Yes, "business suit", "long-sleeve shirt and pants" and "white button-down" are absolutely just the worst things I've ever seen all right.

It's mostly the green one that bothers me but all the rest are at best generic and uninteresting.

Travis343 posted:

The outfits are pretty generic, but so is everything about that image. It's like someone programmed one of those deep dream computers to create an image encompassing the idea of "anime". I think that is what would be next to the encyclopedia britannica entry for anime, if they still did a print version.

Huh, you're right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Close, but there isn't a single school girl in it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Close, but there isn't a single school girl in it.

Except for Biscuit.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

He forgot the jacket and thigh-high boots if he's crossplaying as Emma Frost.

(I still say she jacked that look from Lady Mastermind...)

Edit - Oh dear god, I just imagined a very fetish-y Punisher outfit in that style.. <opens brain><inserts bleach>

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 9, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

I need backup, BSS.

This is the cast of the anime Hunter x Hunter. I've never watched it because I can't get past how eye bleedingly terrible everyone's outfits are, though. People keep telling me I'm wrong, but am I wrong? Are those not terrible?

Everything about Hunter X Hunter is unappealing on a fundamental level. Like a skinny hairy balding man in 80s workout gear.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Aphrodite posted:

Most of those are just shirtless. I think he means the half shirt.

Original Goliath was literally a mid-riff/ab-window.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Everything about Hunter X Hunter is unappealing on a fundamental level.

Thank you. Nearly everyone I know is into it and I'm just like...now I know how people uninterested in JoJo feel about JoJo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ygolonac posted:

He forgot the jacket and thigh-high boots if he's crossplaying as Emma Frost.

(I still say she jacked that look from Lady Mastermind...)

Edit - Oh dear god, I just imagined a very fetish-y Punisher outfit in that style.. <opens brain><inserts bleach>

I thought she was an x man why do her nonclothes form a "t"? "t" for what??????

quote:

Hunter H Hunter

I don't know what this is but I didn't know none-cape costume critique was allowed, because it seems like that'd open the flood gates of things to complain about.
Like even expanding to webcomics or whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Thank you. Nearly everyone I know is into it and I'm just like...now I know how people uninterested in JoJo feel about JoJo.

Hunter X Hunter was a thing like 10+ years ago, what kind of time warp are you friends stuck in?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Acne Rain posted:

I thought she was an x man why do her nonclothes form a "t"? "t" for what??????

Come on, it's Emma Frost. You know what.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McSpanky posted:

Come on, it's Emma Frost. You know what.

Oh, telepathy! Like her mutant power, got it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ten, the Mohs scale hardness of her diamond form.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Hunter X Hunter was a thing like 10+ years ago, what kind of time warp are you friends stuck in?

The manga is still ongoing and there was a new television adaption from 2011-2014 that gave it a huge boost in western fans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

I need backup, BSS.

Like they aren't awesome costumes but I can't imagine being offended by them. I'm sure you've watched or read poo poo with costumes that everyone here would say were worse.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Post transformation Gon (the green wearing kid in the middle) has a better costume.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TkwYXByP5E

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Like they aren't awesome costumes but I can't imagine being offended by them. I'm sure you've watched or read poo poo with costumes that everyone here would say were worse.

But they'd have costumes I liked. Aesthetic is one of my main barriers of entry in getting into something. Everyone in Hunter X Hunter is either too garish or too plain.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WickedHate posted:

But they'd have costumes I liked. Aesthetic is one of my main barriers of entry in getting into something. Everyone in Hunter X Hunter is either too garish or too plain.

Then move on if know you dislike it?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

WickedHate I'm sorry your friends like things you don't but coming to terms with this is part of growing up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just wanted to get other opinions on the outfits, jeez.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is the American Dream there Dusty Rhodes' secret super-soldier daughter?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The blue and yellow dress sort of reminds me of Chun-Li's boss Alpha tracksuit, so A+.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nessus posted:

First of all, I would like to thank the many, many fans throughout this country that wrote cards and letters to Shannon Carter, the American Dream, while I was down. Secondly, I want to thank Marvel Comics for waiting and taking the time, because I know how important it was — Secret Wars 2015 - it is to the comic fans and it is to Marvel Comics. And Shannon Carter, the American Dream, with that wait, got what I wanted: Doctor Doom, the god of Battleworld!

I don't have to say a lot more about the way I feel about Doctor Doom! No respect! No honor! There is no honor among thieves in the first place. He put hard times on Shannon Carter and her family. You don't know what hard times are, daddy! Hard times are when the mutants around this country are out of work and got four, five kids from different timelines, and can't pay their wages, can't buy their food. Hard times are when the auto workers are out of work and they tell them 'Go home!'. And hard times are when a man had his own book thirty years — thirty years! — they give him a crossover, kick him in the butt and say 'Hey, a Inhuman took your place, daddy!'. That's hard times! That's hard times.

And Doctor Doom, you put hard times on this country by taking Shannon Carter out. That's hard times! And we all had hard times together. I admit, I don't look like the heroes are today supposed to look. My belly is just a little big, my hiney is just a little big, but brother, I am bad, and they know I'm bad. And there were two bad people: one was Captain Marvel — and he's dead, brother — and the other one is right here!

Victor Von Doom, the Infinity Gauntlet belongs to these people. I'm gonna reach out right now. I want you at home to know, my hand is touching your hand for this gathering of the biggest body of people in this country, in this universe, all over the world. Now reach it out! Because the love that was given me — and this time I will repay you, now. Because I will be the next wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet, on this Hard Times Blues Shannon Carter 2015 tour!

And Doctor Doom, god of Battleworld, let me leave you with this: One way to hurt Doctor Doom is to take what he cherishes more than anything in the world. That's the Infinity Gauntlet! I will take it. I've been there twice. This time, when I take it, daddy, I'm gonna take it for you. Let's gather for it! Don't let me down now, 'cause I came back you, for that man up there that died ten, twelve years ago, that never got the opportunity to see a real wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet. I'm proud of you and thank god I have you. I love you. Love you!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Die Laughing posted:

First of all, I would like to thank the many, many fans throughout this country that wrote cards and letters to Shannon Carter, the American Dream, while I was down. Secondly, I want to thank Marvel Comics for waiting and taking the time, because I know how important it was — Secret Wars 2015 - it is to the comic fans and it is to Marvel Comics. And Shannon Carter, the American Dream, with that wait, got what I wanted: Doctor Doom, the god of Battleworld!

I don't have to say a lot more about the way I feel about Doctor Doom! No respect! No honor! There is no honor among thieves in the first place. He put hard times on Shannon Carter and her family. You don't know what hard times are, daddy! Hard times are when the mutants around this country are out of work and got four, five kids from different timelines, and can't pay their wages, can't buy their food. Hard times are when the auto workers are out of work and they tell them 'Go home!'. And hard times are when a man had his own book thirty years — thirty years! — they give him a crossover, kick him in the butt and say 'Hey, a Inhuman took your place, daddy!'. That's hard times! That's hard times.

And Doctor Doom, you put hard times on this country by taking Shannon Carter out. That's hard times! And we all had hard times together. I admit, I don't look like the heroes are today supposed to look. My belly is just a little big, my hiney is just a little big, but brother, I am bad, and they know I'm bad. And there were two bad people: one was Captain Marvel — and he's dead, brother — and the other one is right here!

Victor Von Doom, the Infinity Gauntlet belongs to these people. I'm gonna reach out right now. I want you at home to know, my hand is touching your hand for this gathering of the biggest body of people in this country, in this universe, all over the world. Now reach it out! Because the love that was given me — and this time I will repay you, now. Because I will be the next wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet, on this Hard Times Blues Shannon Carter 2015 tour!

And Doctor Doom, god of Battleworld, let me leave you with this: One way to hurt Doctor Doom is to take what he cherishes more than anything in the world. That's the Infinity Gauntlet! I will take it. I've been there twice. This time, when I take it, daddy, I'm gonna take it for you. Let's gather for it! Don't let me down now, 'cause I came back you, for that man up there that died ten, twelve years ago, that never got the opportunity to see a real wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet. I'm proud of you and thank god I have you. I love you. Love you!

Is this a wrestling thing? If it's a wrestling thing I wish we had the technology to punch people in the face through the internet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

There's still time to say you're sorry.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I need backup, BSS.

Anime is terrible, there's your entire argument.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

There's still time to say you're sorry.

Nah, still wish I could punch you in the face via the internet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's hard times, brother!

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I need backup, BSS.

This is the most generic thing ever. There is no creativity at all.

It's like the author sold his soul to the devil to make a successful anime/manga series but the result is something with no soul.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nessus posted:

She's Sharon Carter's niece, who grew up idolising Cap.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Is this a wrestling thing? If it's a wrestling thing I wish we had the technology to punch people in the face through the internet.

Whenever someone posts something incomprehensible, check the language. If moon language, it's anime. If carny talk, it's wrestling.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm sure Dusty was in a comic book at some point so it's germane.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
In regards to Hunter x Hunter: I haven't watched the series, but I did watch the creator's previous series Yu Yu Hakusho, and HxH seems to keep his general aesthetic of very simple, Chinese inspired costumes. Consider Genkai, Koenma, Botan, etc. They're all very plain and traditional looking. Even Yusuke and crew are essentially one primary color school uniforms.

Drawing a weekly series is hard work, and keeping characters super simple helps to alleviate that pressure. The guy already has pretty bad health problems to cope with, to the point that some of his drawings look like they were done on bar napkins, he probably didn't want to have to draw really complex characters on top of that.

That said...yeah, they're not great looking no matter how much you explain the rationale behind them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

I'm sure Dusty was in a comic book at some point so it's germane.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm having a hard time thinking of any anime designs that aren't terrible. And I don't even hate anime.

Gundams look cool and look how much they have to milk that.

(Let's not make this the anime costume thread)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of any anime designs that aren't terrible. And I don't even hate anime.

Gundams look cool and look how much they have to milk that.

(Let's not make this the anime costume thread)

Kaneda's pill jacket, for that matter Tetsuo's robot arm and cape look are both iconic, awesome designs. I would make an argument for the cast of Sailor Moon too.

Everyone in Jojo.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

...the creator's previous series Yu Yu Hakusho...

Reinanigans posted:

...The guy already has pretty bad health problems to cope with...

Holy crap I didn't know that.

I still stand by my initial reaction but now I have respect for the guy for keeping on truckin'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the franchise which had a new series that started in 2011 and which ended last year? Gosh, I don't know Lurdiak. I just can't figure that one out.

Plethora posted:

Holy crap I didn't know that.

I still stand by my initial reaction but now I have respect for the guy for keeping on truckin'.

It's also worth noting that "HxH is the most generic thing ever" is an intentional starting design point because the series is both a love letter and a criticism of the traditional anime show and specifically uses the initial genericness to subvert expectations. It has some really creative and interesting design work but it shows up more later on (and runs into the author's heath problems which the animated adaptation helps cover.) It also began in 1998 and was influencial enough that a lot of other popular Japanese things borrow from it rather than vice-versa.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 9, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You mean the franchise which had a new series that started in 2011 and which ended last year? Gosh, I don't know Lurdiak. I just can't figure that one out.

I can't believe you thought this was good information to condescend to me about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe you thought this was good information to condescend to me about.

As opposed to your completely bizarre statement about it?

• Locked thread