Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

blue squares posted:

What are some really good books about sex that aren't smut but are about exploring what sex means to the psyche, to society, etc. There's Lolita and the power of desire. What else?

The more boner inducing the better imo

I assume I should read Portnoy's Complaint. Also, Ada by Nabokov

Faulkner's Light in August explores sex as relates to issues of racism, sectarianism, misogyny, religion, and race delineations in Mississippi circa 1930. It's Faulkner so you'll either love or hate the prose (and knowing your bible always helps) but if you can get into it you probably won't be able to put it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

blue squares posted:

What are some really good books about sex that aren't smut but are about exploring what sex means to the psyche, to society, etc.

Another Country by James Baldwin is about this to a large extent. Among other things.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for the sexggestions.

Book report: I just whipped through Indecision, Benjamin Kunkel (of n+1)'s debut novel. It is very good for the first 200 pages and stupid and bad for the final 240. But the first 200 are fantastic and really capture the feeling of being young and faced with so many choices that you can't pick even one. The main character studied philosophy in college and does a lot of questioning of things like free will, choice, purpose of life, etc. Because there is so much humor throughout, this really works because while these questions are really engaged with well, the book never takes itself so seriously that it comes across as pretentious or navel-gazing, etc. I recommend the book despite my dislike of the end.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

blue squares posted:

The main character studied philosophy in college

Extremely hard pass

I'm finishing Baltasar & Blimunda and it's extremely loving good, second best Saramago I've read (after Ricardo Reis which is one of the greatest novels ever written). Communist mysticism ftw

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Extremely hard pass

Really not as bad as it sounds. The main character is portrayed as an idiot most of the time, and half of his philosophy references are jokes. The novel certainly doesn't take the stance that the student of philosophy is the true man of the world, and the character's degree is more of a hindrance to success than a helper.

Also: A Naked Singularity is loving mind-blowing and SO GOOD

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 7, 2016

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I again have like 10 books at 2% and couple at 30-50%. I hate Kindle

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

iccyelf posted:

Anaïs Nin. Kathy Acker. Virginie Despentes' Baise Moi. These are all good picks.

If I wanted to read some Anaïs Nin where should I start?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

Seduction of the Minotaur is excellent imo

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

Delta of Venus is where most people start. Under a Glass Bell is also good. Then grab her five "big" novels after the jump.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Anaïs Nin wrote a short lil introduction to the edition of Miss Macintosh, My Darling that I'm reading, it was basically just 'this book is cool, check it out'.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
She also says on the back of the copy of tropic of cancer that I'm reading now that it might 'restore our appetite for the fundamental realities' so that's cool I guess

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Does anyone ITT like In Search of Lost Time?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zesty Mordant posted:

She also says on the back of the copy of tropic of cancer that I'm reading now that it might 'restore our appetite for the fundamental realities' so that's cool I guess
Hey bby, I’ve got an appetite for your fundamentals

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

First book is awesome but after that the characters began to piss me off. French assholes spending all their days coming up with 'witty' things to say at dinner (saying random word in English midsentence counts as witty) wasn't my thing, but sure, the prose is great. Also Marcel is so uberbeta it's not even funny after a while. It should be favorite book of animegeeks, they should also long the lost world Marcel longs for, where he can asperger all day long in peace while plebeians serve him

mallamp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 9, 2016

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

mallamp posted:

uberbeta ... animegeeks, ... asperger

None of these words deserves to be anywhere near this thread ever again in the first place, let alone in describing loving Proust

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp with more worthless and toxic gender views, what a gosh danged surprise

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Anyway I like In Search of Lost Time, but I need to read it again. I read it when I was too young.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

J_RBG posted:

Anyway I like In Search of Lost Time, but I need to read it again. I read it when I was too young.

That's how I feel about every book I read because I'm dumb

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

First book is awesome but after that the characters began to piss me off. French assholes spending all their days coming up with 'witty' things to say at dinner (saying random word in English midsentence counts as witty) wasn't my thing, but sure, the prose is great. Also Marcel is so uberbeta it's not even funny after a while. It should be favorite book of animegeeks, they should also long the lost world Marcel longs for, where he can asperger all day long in peace while plebeians serve him

This post is cool.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

blue squares posted:

But then you grow older and you find yourself...

In Search of Lost Time

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

mallamp posted:

your literary hitler

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thread: should I leave mallamp alone?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Agreed. I want to reread Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest on a deeper level than just the stories because I feel like understanding the themes and allusions would give them more of a pay off at the end.

I picked up Skippy Dies by Paul Murray and it's a lot of fun. I'm interested to see if all the recurring motifs add up to something.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Agreed. I want to reread Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest on a deeper level than just the stories because I feel like understanding the themes and allusions would give them more of a pay off at the end.

I actually am really forward to doing an Infinite Jest re-read. When I first read it, I had been in the military for 5 years and had mostly stopped reading in favor of watching TV and playing video games. Reading IJ pushed me back into my love of serious fiction. From there I went to Franzen's Freedom and then all over the place. Since finishing IJ the first time, I have read a lot about the book and realized that I missed a lot the first time through. I think reading it a second time could be a wonderful experience. In fact, http://www.infinitewinter.org/ is going on and I'm already behind on it. Maybe I should join that group.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

I picked up Skippy Dies by Paul Murray and it's a lot of fun. I'm interested to see if all the recurring motifs add up to something.

I read fifty more pages and I take this back, Skippy Dies is emotionally devastating, especially right before Skippy dies.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

J_RBG posted:

None of these words deserves to be anywhere near this thread ever again in the first place, let alone in describing loving Proust

I wish they didn't fit, but they do.. I really wanted to like Proust, and I kinda do, but by book 4 I just couldn't take it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's weird to see GR and IJ singled out as books you need to keep an eye on their themes because uh, the latter really batters you over the head with it and the former sort of mixes up the two; it ends with a bomb being dropped on narrative.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

IJ>GR, book that resists reading just ain't fun (ok, some scenes are)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really did not enjoy Infinite Jest at all. I don’t know what it was about it exactly. I got like 300 pages in (so about a quarter of the book) and felt like it was already getting repetitive and had said everything it was going to say thematically, not helped by the way Wallace was a smug rear end in a top hat who took pride in boring the reader to make a point. I just felt kind of done with it at that point.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You think IJ doesn't resist reading? A book where you need to deduce the ending?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

YOu're an idiot

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

drat I just can't handle this incredible flowing prose it's like this book doesn't want to be read!"!!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

blue squares posted:

I read through the first book pretty quickly in the fall and then stalled out midway through the second. I think that I kept looking at the other four books and realizing that I would be reading this set for well over a year if I kept at it and found myself unable to continue. It's worth reading some of, at least. I'm not sure I will ever read the rest, though.Too many other good books.

mallamp posted:

I didn't really get the sense that it resisted reading. I remember laughing out loud numerous times and there are parts like Byron the Bulb that are just genius and it's hard to put down. Both books may be difficult but I don't think they are overly obscure.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ferrante novels to be made into TV showhttp://variety.com/2016/tv/news/italys-wildside-will-produce-tv-series-based-on-elena-ferrantes-the-neapolitan-novels-exclusive-1201700358/

mallamp posted:

I wish they didn't fit, but they do

Ok since no one told me to leave you alone, and because as a future educator I feel a sense of responsibility toward youngsters like yourself, especially ones who are otherwise pretty likeable, I'll just link this: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Toxic_masculinity
Now I know you have a hate for all things feminist, but this article is actually about how the patriarchy is harmful to MEN. It'll blow your mind. Saying that "beta males" are a thing perpetuates this.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 10, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

Ferrante novels to be made into TV showhttp://variety.com/2016/tv/news/italys-wildside-will-produce-tv-series-based-on-elena-ferrantes-the-neapolitan-novels-exclusive-1201700358/

Ok since no one told me to leave you alone, and because as a future educator I feel a sense of responsibility toward youngsters like yourself, especially ones who are otherwise pretty likeable, I'll just link this: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Toxic_masculinity
Now I know you have a hate for all things feminist, but this article is actually about how the patriarchy is harmful to MEN. It'll blow your mind. Saying that "beta males" are a thing perpetuates this.

I'm insanely violent and will snap on you at the slightest provocation

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hhmm yes the Geek Feminism Wiki is a good and reputable source, tell me more about how Patriarchy is somehow still part of a liberal.consumerist society

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Geek Feminism

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

:whitewater:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It was the first Google result and it explains the single concept I wanted. I have never heard of the site before. Is it bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This bingo chart shows that both Heathcliff and Rochester embody Toxic Masculinity and furthermore