Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I hope Pore finds its way into some weird eternal deck with a land that taps for loads of mana. I'm not going to suggest where

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Andrast posted:

We are going to get an evil corrupted UB Taimiyo in Eldritch Moon who is then killed by fire.

The entire moon is killed by fire and crashes into Innistrad just as the gopher rangers planeswalk out of there, satisfied at a job well done.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Andrast posted:

We are going to get an evil corrupted UB Taimiyo in Eldritch Moon who is then killed by fire.

Ugh. Putting her in the worst color combination and then killing her? I'd hope not.

Besides, she's not nearly important enough to do that to but has enough of a face to dodge death as well. You only die in Magic after being incredibly important or appearing for exactly one story.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 9, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cynic Jester posted:

The entire moon is killed by fire and crashes into Innistrad just as the gopher rangers planeswalk out of there, satisfied at a job well done.

actually it stops right on top of that one city and jace is the only one holding it up and it would be a shame if anything would happen to this city also hi everyone I'm a god now

some years later bobby nixon wakes up in a boat headed for the shores, quiet here comes the guard

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Jace will be UB in this set. Not Tamiyo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pieces of the Puzzle seems like a potentially really strong card somewhere, never as more than a one or two of but in, say, Modern Storm it's definitely got potentia.
I wouldn't be surprised if it got played over a Desperate Ravings. I think it could be good in standard if they print a decent reanimation spell.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So looking at pro tour lists that went 8-2 or better and noticed some fun things. One, there was an archangel/spike feeder deck that went 9-1 in constructed but didn't place well because of how poorly he did in limited. Also, Michael Majors went 8-2 in constructed with a zoo deck that had 4 burning tree emissary and 4 reckless bushwacker, along with a single devastating summons. The zoo deck would actually be pretty budget friendly if it weren't for the 4 tarmogoyfs.

The zoo deck is fun as hell to play, along with having game against eldrazi (and many other decks) by going wide. I'm not sold on the misers summons, and think I might test cutting a Heath for a Ghost Quarter just for the land blowin' up flexibility. But for now I've shelved burn for it. Last night I had a turn 3 kill off of a t1 nacatl into t2 BTE into BTE into experiment one and kird ape into t3 swing all + atarkas command.

But then I read this from the maintainer of the mtgsalvation zoo thread:
"Nope. I'm officially done. I just lost to eldrazi with a litteral nut draw. Got them down to 5 on turn 3. Then lost. He complained that I made 6 mana on turn 2 with 2 burning trees, then went a head and made tons of it on his own.

Litterally, I made 6 "free" mana in 2 games. game 1 with two burning-trees and game 2 with one. He made over 12.

You've got to be *****ting me.

I'm done."

So surprisingly aggro zoo still gets beat by big-zoo-that-also-ramps-and-has-etb-effects

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 9, 2016

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Jace and Liliana as Mulder and Scully

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

someone on IRC found these on reddit

I love the old school nearly abstract art on Magmatic Chasm there.

Angry Grimace posted:

The plot of this block sounds like its Jace's Murder Mystery Time and oh hey a Tamiyo reference. I guess the plot is really uncovering whatever heinous poo poo Sorin actually did, although it sorta sounds like Tamiyo got murdered somewhere along the way.
What are the chances of there being some dumb murder mystery gimmick for the pre-release?

It was Olivia Voldaren in the Haunted Fengraf with the Trepanation Blade!

Yergie posted:

So after seeing the SoI leak, specifically the homonculus with Skulk, I realized that every two color combo has their own keyword now. Some of the combos are a bit looser, like with flying, but WotC tries to build their limited strategy in W/U in tempo and flyers.

W/U-Flying
U/B-Skulk (making an assumption here, but the Blue homunculus has an ability identical to Silumgar Assassin)
B/R-Menace
R/G-Trample
G/W-Vigilance
W/B-Lifelink
B/G-Deathtouch
G/U-Hexproof
U/R-Prowess
R/W-First/Double Strike

this is a pretty solid start right? i'd appreciate addons and removals.
But as a baseline for common creatures, having a permanent mechanic that's primary in each color pair would make a lot of sense.
A bunch of those do show up in other colors, but much less frequently and usually at higher rarities.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You can tell the leaks came from someone employed by Wizards because they don't know how to avoid camera glare.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Yes, WUR mad.

Doubtful white will get madness though unless we get some sort of plot twist in set 2.

Blind Zealotry is kind of like madness.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So at Worlds 2005 in NYC, me and my friend did an Urzas sealed event. When it was done I put the cards in the tournament pack box, put them in another box, and basically haven't looked at them since.

I was just going through them again to see if I missed something worth anything, and then I flip to the back where I put the rares. What do I see? Metalworker :getin:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cynic Jester posted:

Then in set two we find out that the moon was an Emrakul egg hire me wizards

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Wtf is with gemstone caverns?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Molybdenum posted:

Wtf is with gemstone caverns?

It was in the deck that just won the Pro Tour.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GonSmithe posted:

So at Worlds 2005 in NYC, me and my friend did an Urzas sealed event. When it was done I put the cards in the tournament pack box, put them in another box, and basically haven't looked at them since.

I was just going through them again to see if I missed something worth anything, and then I flip to the back where I put the rares. What do I see? Metalworker :getin:

Wow you lucky sod.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can't wait to draft UR mad(ness).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sarmhan posted:

I can't wait to draft UR mad(ness).

I can't wait to play constructed UR Mad

Then everyone knows I went into the design with an awful pun in mind.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

There's always Duel Decks.

Jace vs who cares this box has Jace in it? We can hope.
Duel Decks: Young Jace vs. Old Jace. And then put JVP and JtMS in it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They're going to make Jeskai Outer Space Jace called Jace is the Place and this whole set is going to be chock full of Sun Ra references actually

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

Duel Decks: Young Jace vs. Old Jace. And then put JVP and JtMS in it.

It's gonna be Chandra vs Ob Nixilus and you know that.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Count Bleck posted:

It's gonna be Chandra vs Ob Nixilus and you know that.

Sorin vs Nahiri

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rabidsquid posted:

They're going to make Jeskai Outer Space Jace called Jace is the Place and this whole set is going to be chock full of Sun Ra references actually

For some reason this makes me think of Space Jam but with Jace.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jace is the Place with the helpful spellcraft folks

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

For some reason this makes me think of Space Jam but with Jace.

Don't sully the perfection that is Space Jam by associating it with Jace.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

SoI is Jace as noir detective.
This makes the next logical set Jace Attorney

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's true that decks that actually run black generally have Terminate or Abrupt Decay instead, but it is ahead of any mono-black option: Disfigure, Doom Blade, &c. I think it's interesting to consider whether B, kicker 1B, -5/-5, lose 4 life unless kicked would be playable, but that is essentially the bar that any mono-B removal spell has to clear.

It's hard to judge how it stacks up directly with straight black removal just because there aren't really mono-color decks in Modern, so any deck with black in it naturally going to have access to spells like the ones you mentioned above. That said, if we were in a hypothetical mono-black deck, remember that BB cards like Victim of Night and Grasp of Darkness are also on the table.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Duel Decks: Tibalt vs Hedron Alignment

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Voyager I posted:

It's hard to judge how it stacks up directly with straight black removal just because there aren't really mono-color decks in Modern, so any deck with black in it naturally going to have access to spells like the ones you mentioned above. That said, if we were in a hypothetical mono-black deck, remember that BB cards like Victim of Night and Grasp of Darkness are also on the table.

Well it affects other combinations too, like UB. It's like if the best counterspell was UR that would restrict what colour combinations you could play blue in.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

I still have my Urza's sealed pool from a ptq or something or other. I still remember it. A sealed pool with 3 lurking evils is hard to forget.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I'd rather have

Duel Decks: Kavu vs. Atog's

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Atog's what?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Snacksmaniac posted:

Atog's what?

Atog's Atog.

It relishes old-fashioned family meals.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I hope there's a new 1 mana Tibalt with even worse abilities.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Kalli posted:

0 mana Tibalt. +1: you lose the game

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So seeing two packs it really looks like flashback isn't returning, surprised the hell out of me.

It would be funny/sad if Reality Smasher get's devalued by people using it to cast madness spells.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Jace vs Tammy for the blue planeswalker slot, who's gonna make it

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kalli posted:

+1: Discard a card at random.
-1: Deal 2 damage to target creature you control.
-6: Gain control of target creature.
Starting Loyalty: 1

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

So seeing two packs it really looks like flashback isn't returning, surprised the hell out of me.

It would be funny/sad if Reality Smasher get's devalued by people using it to cast madness spells.

Given that there isn't any 2 mana removal that even hits Reality Smasher and Murderous Cut is rotating, I'm a little doubtful since you'd have to afford the spell plus the Madness cost. I expect Stasis Snare to see more play with W/G/X being less likely to be the default best combination of colors and Stasis Snare doesn't care about Reality Smasher's discard clause.

*Roast isn't rotating, actually. I thought it was in FRF, I guess it was in DTK.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Realistically, I'd like a Tibalt that isn't garbage.

Tibalt, The Better One 2R

+1: Tibalt deals 4 damage to target creature and 2 damage to you.
- 3: Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it. It gains haste until end of turn.
- 6: You gain an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, gain control of target creature. Untap it. It gains haste until end of turn."

Loyalty 3

• Locked thread