Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enourmo posted:

it's more of this poo poo where they go "flush your toilets only when you poop to save water!! stay inside with the ac on so you dont sweat as much and stay hydrated longer!! do ur part ^_^" while water bottling plants are draining the loving aquifer from indian reservation territory

they're coming down on everyday people who are a very small part of the problem while the big offenders (in this case coal plants, cargo ships outside us water running on tar, industrial polluters) go basically unchecked aside from piddling energy conservation measures

Alright, I'm gonna squash this poo poo right here: this is going after the people who sell parts and the idiots who buy parts and ignore FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Long tube headers, high flow cats, poo poo like Cobb Accessports.

Yes, the language is extremely broad and there is stuff that explicitly mentions converting motor vehicles into competition vehicles; however, the appropriate response isn't unfurling your Gadsden flag and whining about tyranny on Facebook or other social media. The appropriate response is calling up your representative and asking for clarification, you know, engaging with your government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm seriously an inch away from deleting all of my friends that I made from the car scene off Facebook

They're all privileged, racist, ultra right wing fucks who don't understand how taxes work and all think they're going to be millionaires one day even though half of them work in a garage with no plans of getting an education and no brains to start their own business

Next will be the majority of my MechEng friends and a good chunk of the other STEM friends

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I am so sick of unemploynent giving me the runaround. It's been like 9 weeks since I filed my first claim and it is still pending. At least lemme know if I am gonna get denied jesus christ. I called on my day the past 3 weeks in a row and every time they say they will escalate it and it will be resolved within 48 hours.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tusen Takk posted:

Next will be the majority of my MechEng friends and a good chunk of the other STEM friends
So basically everybody with a brain stem.
Good for you.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I am so sick of unemploynent giving me the runaround. It's been like 9 weeks since I filed my first claim and it is still pending. At least lemme know if I am gonna get denied jesus christ. I called on my day the past 3 weeks in a row and every time they say they will escalate it and it will be resolved within 48 hours.
Give all your money to be government, they'll handle things.
Why isn't the gov handling my things? :argh:

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 9, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Good for you.

If everyone with a brain stem is a racist motherfucker then yes

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

ilkhan posted:

Good for you.

Yes, but consider the (water) source. :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ilkhan posted:

Good for you.

Give all your money to be government, they'll handle things.
Why isn't the gov handling my things? :argh:

Because he quit his job and uses weasel words on here to paint himself as the victim, even though quitting automatically disqualifies you from receiving UI benefits.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

Because he quit his job and uses weasel words on here to paint himself as the victim, even though quitting automatically disqualifies you from receiving UI benefits.
It's shocking to discover how many people don't realize this. Fighting for UI benefits after quitting a job is harder than finding a new job unless you've smoked your weight in weed on a monthly basis and all your prospects require you to fill up a cup.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Who is your TV provider? A lot of them compress the poo poo out of most channels, to the point that they actually look worse on a 1080p TV. U-Verse in particular is horrible about this.

What kinda TV did you get anyway? I'm going to be looking to get something a lot bigger sometime this year.

I have brighthouse, and my CRT was 1080p HD with HDMI as well.....It's not the signal, it's the TV, but I'll get over it because the new one is huge and I can hang it on my wall to save space. The CRT weighed in at 200 POUNDS and needed a stand made of solid Oak just to hold it up, I have tweaked my back more than once trying to move it (with help).

The new TV is a Vizio E60-C3 I got on sale at Walmart for $698, it's a lot of TV for the price, I paid over $800 for the CRT back in '05 or so.

Tusen Takk posted:

They're all privileged, racist, ultra right wing fucks who don't understand how taxes work and all think they're going to be millionaires one day even though half of them work in a garage with no plans of getting an education and no brains to start their own business

I had a roommate in the military whose goal in life was to be a millionaire but had no idea how he was going to accomplish it, and was flabbergasted that I wasn't motivated by money. How could you not want to be a millionaire? Everybody wants to be rich :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 9, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BloodBag posted:

No man, the union really hosed him, bro. They let him quit his union gig, have you ever heard of a union doing that?

I rest my case. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Recccommmend me a good Android smartphone that I can use without a contract (Cricket, Metro) and won't poo poo the bed after a year. Features are nice but reliability is more important to me. Been looking at reviews and it seems like there's nothing available that doesn't have a good amount of bad reviews.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Can you use a nexus phone on either of those carriers? Through personal experience and watching my friends go through various android phones, get a nexus or don't bother. With all of the vulnerabilities found in android these days, at least you'll get a chance at getting them patched in a reasonable amount of time too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nexus 5X or like a Moto G.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Moto G.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nexus 5(x)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
LG G3

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I'm not as much a fan of the camera, but I otherwise love my moto x pure.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My galaxy s4 has been trucking along for the last 3 years pretty well. I'm sure it will now promptly die since I've mentioned it in a positive light.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 are still available new. 5 is still a viable, nice phone. I have a 6 and I think it kicks rear end. You can pick one up for about $250, with a 2560x1440 screen and plenty of processing power. I have nothing bad to say about it and it's in many ways better than the current version (wireless charging itself outweighs the benefits of the new one).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

Nexus 5X or like a Moto G.
This is what I was going to recommend. I'm on my second Moto G and it's working great, only upgraded because I wanted something a little bigger than the first gen moto g.

poo poo if a friend hadn't dropped and shattered the screen on my first gen I'd send it to you to use for a while.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Unironically.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

Can you use a nexus phone on either of those carriers? Through personal experience and watching my friends go through various android phones, get a nexus or don't bother. With all of the vulnerabilities found in android these days, at least you'll get a chance at getting them patched in a reasonable amount of time too.

Metro won't activate a Nexus phone without jumping through a lot of hoops; for some reason, half of their CSRs told me my phone was stolen when I tried to move to Metro. They have to manually add the IMEI to their system, and finding someone who will deviate from the script can be a pain.

leica posted:

Recccommmend me a good Android smartphone that I can use without a contract (Cricket, Metro) and won't poo poo the bed after a year. Features are nice but reliability is more important to me. Been looking at reviews and it seems like there's nothing available that doesn't have a good amount of bad reviews.

Moto X (2014 version is affordable and a lot of phone - brand new it's only $300 for the 16GB version), Nexus series. I'd recommend Cricket over Metro simply because Metro's CSRs don't know a phone from a gloryhole.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phone posted:

Alright, I'm gonna squash this poo poo right here: this is going after the people who sell parts and the idiots who buy parts and ignore FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Long tube headers, high flow cats, poo poo like Cobb Accessports.

Yes, the language is extremely broad and there is stuff that explicitly mentions converting motor vehicles into competition vehicles; however, the appropriate response isn't unfurling your Gadsden flag and whining about tyranny on Facebook or other social media. The appropriate response is calling up your representative and asking for clarification, you know, engaging with your government.

fair enough, i'm really more salty they're not doing anything to curb the big carbon emitters and this was just an excuse to vent about it

and yeah everyone who puts non stock exhaust on their cars is a bastard for sure

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

In the ongoing but not super serious truck search I've come across a couple Jeep Comanche's and I've always wanted one. I know we have a few Jeep Comanche owners that frequent this thread so anything I should be on the lookout for with these other than the obvious rust? I'd be looking for one with the 4.0L I6 most likely because owning a Jeep without that is pointless and the long wheel base would be kind of nice to have but isn't a major requirement. I'd consider the I4 engine as well I guess. Also I can't find the bed height for a stock Comanche anywhere, I'm guessing it's going to be around 36" being 4x4 but I'm curious.

The 4 in my '95 Cherokee was tolerable at 130 HP. The one in the Comanche is 110 or so, IIRC. You get another 50-50 HP out of the 6, and not a lot of change in fuel mileage. That said, both the 4 and 6 are tractor motors and live forever. Mine was a 5-speed manual - I doubt that the 4-banger is much fun with an automatic. I'd be OK with the auto behind a 4.0, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

leica posted:

Moto G (or E, for a REAL budget phone) plus t-mo pre-paid or att pre-paid.
Nexus 5X with google fi.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

$194 in back tolls paid, plus put $40 on my toll tag. :cripes:

That's after they knocked the tolls down from about $320 (tolltag rate vs pay by mail rate). That loving stings, but at least it's paid. Now I have to go through the statements and figure out which tolls were for work so I can write them off.

ilkhan posted:

Moto G (or E, for a REAL budget phone) plus t-mo pre-paid or att pre-paid.
Nexus 5X with google fi.

Cricket = AT&T Prepaid with lower rates (and an 8Mbit speed cap) - they're fully owned by AT&T.

Metro is also fully owned by T-Mobile, but T-Mobile prepaid is much, much easier to deal with (at the expense of slightly higher rates). Metro's data is also deprioritized over T-Mobile branded customers - doesn't mean much if you're in an area with lots of bandwidth, but if you're in a congested area your speeds go to barely usable in a hurry. Metro also ties the SIM to the phone, so you can't just swap your SIM to another phone without calling them (and convincing them that no, your phone is not stolen simply because the IMEI isn't in their database).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 9, 2016

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Sorry to disrupt phonechat, but does anyone have experiencing buying a canadian car and importing it into the US? Is it worth the PITA? How about if it was previously a US car?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

leica posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02/09/deal-alert-get-the-32gb-nexus-5-for-a-mere-139-99-on-ebay/ bam.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Had to post this somewhere, and I'm not about to log the time to make it through the woodworking thread. Absolutely fucki amazing watching this guy cut threads by hand and then just wing an internal thread to finish off the piece.

I feel like no matter how good I get at anything in my life, it won't even come close to how this dude runs a wood lathe. It's long, so you'll have to poke around, but drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iEd0kD0S4

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

The 4 in my '95 Cherokee was tolerable at 130 HP. The one in the Comanche is 110 or so, IIRC. You get another 50-50 HP out of the 6, and not a lot of change in fuel mileage. That said, both the 4 and 6 are tractor motors and live forever. Mine was a 5-speed manual - I doubt that the 4-banger is much fun with an automatic. I'd be OK with the auto behind a 4.0, though.
If I really can't find anything other than an automatic I'd consider it but I plan on sticking with a manual. Jeep parts are pretty plentiful and reasonably priced around here so finding an engine to swap if I ended up with a lovely V6 version wouldn't be bad. poo poo my neighbor has two I6 Jeep engines sitting in the shed as spares since the one in his wrangler sounds so bad.

willroc7 posted:

Sorry to disrupt phonechat, but does anyone have experiencing buying a canadian car and importing it into the US? Is it worth the PITA? How about if it was previously a US car?
Is it older than 25 years old? Being previously a US car should make things easier but bringing anything newer than 25 years in is largely a pain in the rear end.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

willroc7 posted:

Does it have fmvss and epa stickers? If so, it should be fairly easy (you may have to pay customs if it wasn't made in a nafta country, I don't know the rules on that).
If not, hope it is >25 years old.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

phone chat: nexus 5x and google fi. At first I thought the fingerprint reader was kinda gimmicky, but god drat is it awesome to unlock your phone with it. I just wish they would offer some of the "high end" features of the nexus 6 on it. I didn't buy a 5 since I can't afford a 6, I bought a 5 since the 6 is loving huge.

willroc7 posted:

My understanding is that if it was a car originally sold in the US, then imported to canada, you can bring it back to the US without much issue. Just fill out paperwork at the border and pay any taxes.

If it was originally sold in Canada, it is possible to import it but you need to provide a lot of paperwork proving that the car meets all of the US standards. Even if the car is identical to the US model, I believe that you still need paperwork, including some that needs to come from the cars manufacturer, in order to bring it into the US. A buddy of mine was looking at importing a URs6 from Canada, but ended up skipping it since it would have been such a pain in the rear end.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

nm posted:

Does it have fmvss and epa stickers? If so, it should be fairly easy (you may have to pay customs if it wasn't made in a nafta country, I don't know the rules on that).
If not, hope it is >25 years old.
It's not 25 years old but since it was originally sold in the US, maybe it has those stickers. I'll look into it.

Negromancer posted:

phone chat: nexus 5x and google fi. At first I thought the fingerprint reader was kinda gimmicky, but god drat is it awesome to unlock your phone with it. I just wish they would offer some of the "high end" features of the nexus 6 on it. I didn't buy a 5 since I can't afford a 6, I bought a 5 since the 6 is loving huge.

My understanding is that if it was a car originally sold in the US, then imported to canada, you can bring it back to the US without much issue. Just fill out paperwork at the border and pay any taxes.

If it was originally sold in Canada, it is possible to import it but you need to provide a lot of paperwork proving that the car meets all of the US standards. Even if the car is identical to the US model, I believe that you still need paperwork, including some that needs to come from the cars manufacturer, in order to bring it into the US. A buddy of mine was looking at importing a URs6 from Canada, but ended up skipping it since it would have been such a pain in the rear end.
Do you have to be at the border with the car or can you have it shipped?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

willroc7 posted:

Do you have to be at the border with the car or can you have it shipped?

I have only looked into driving it across the border myself, since I live in Seattle and only look at cars in the Vancouver BC area. In theory you could ship the car, but I believe you would have to have all of the correct paper work pre-filled out and in order to give to the truck driver. Then if they find any issues, chances are your new car is going to be left at the border crossing. I would suggest flying to where the car is and driving it home, partially to make sure the car makes it over the border, but mostly cause that is always a fun adventure.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This thread had reddit chat earlier, I think. The worst part right now is the loving Sanders echo chamber. I didn't care about him before, but now I loving hate him and his fanbase. I'm sure the venn diagram of Sanders fanbois and Elon Musk knob-gobblers overlaps almost completely. I guess since the death of Steve Jobs these loving people need some celebrity idolize.

Also, hearing about Sanders: I feel like I've heard less grandiose promises 8 and 4 years ago that, like these, have gone unfulfilled.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

I've suggested them in the past, what are you curious about?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've also raved about their gear, though I've only used a couple of the Nanostation Loco M5s in a point-to-point. Haven't tried a UAP yet but I've heard nothing but good about them.

scuz posted:

Add me as another goon to the "UBIQUITI OR DEATH" wifi group.

Geirskogul posted:

I also love my unifi

literally a fish posted:

Unifi is love, unifi is life.

Ask your question, bolind :sun:

poo poo, work and sleep got in the way.

Basically I want to know if I've understood everything right. I just got an ER-X and a UAP-AC-LITE and things are working well. I've had some concerns about power (running both on the PoE injector that came with the unifi) but it seems to work so far, so not so worried there.

What I'm doing is trying to understand a multi-AP setup. How about this:

So, in order to power the UAPs. Of course one could use a PoE injector per UAP, either close to the hub or close to the UAPs or a mix. Am I correct in understanding that the Unifi AC LITEs run weird nonstandard 24V PoE? How long can the cable runs be? What PoE switch should I get? I'm not looking to support a whole bunch of APs, three at the most, I'd say.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

glyph posted:

Had to post this somewhere, and I'm not about to log the time to make it through the woodworking thread. Absolutely fucki amazing watching this guy cut threads by hand and then just wing an internal thread to finish off the piece.

I feel like no matter how good I get at anything in my life, it won't even come close to how this dude runs a wood lathe. It's long, so you'll have to poke around, but drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iEd0kD0S4

That is what a lifetime of practice looks like.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

BloodBag posted:

Also, hearing about Sanders: I feel like I've heard less grandiose promises 8 and 4 years ago that, like these, have gone unfulfilled.

The difference I see is that Bernie straight-up says he will raise taxes, because this poo poo is gonna cost a lot, but it will be worth it. No promise of a perpetual motion machine of lower taxes and more services.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

bolind posted:

poo poo, work and sleep got in the way.

Basically I want to know if I've understood everything right. I just got an ER-X and a UAP-AC-LITE and things are working well. I've had some concerns about power (running both on the PoE injector that came with the unifi) but it seems to work so far, so not so worried there.

What I'm doing is trying to understand a multi-AP setup. How about this:

So, in order to power the UAPs. Of course one could use a PoE injector per UAP, either close to the hub or close to the UAPs or a mix. Am I correct in understanding that the Unifi AC LITEs run weird nonstandard 24V PoE? How long can the cable runs be? What PoE switch should I get? I'm not looking to support a whole bunch of APs, three at the most, I'd say.

1) Correct, they use 24v POE
2) POE can be injected at any point of a standard, 100M cable run. The limitation here is the cable standard, not the POE.
3) Ubiquiti makes POE switches, but I've always ran the injectors. One per AP. No reason to buy special hardware when you're dealing with such a low number of AP's.
https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/toughswitch/

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bolind posted:

Am I correct in understanding that the Unifi AC LITEs run weird nonstandard 24V PoE?

Yes, they use a proprietary PoE system instead of 802.3af/at which requires you to use the included injectors, a Ubiquiti toughswitch ($$$) or alternatively they also sell PoE adapters that allow you to power their devices off of a normal PoE switch.

bolind posted:

How long can the cable runs be?

Same as any other single continuous ethernet cable run - 100 meters.

• Locked thread