Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure if we're talking past each other, but it seems they count a cycle as a discharge to 0%, regardless of whether you started at 5% or 50% or 100%: "Evaluating battery life on counting cycles is not conclusive because a discharge may vary in depth and there are no clearly defined standards of what constitutes a cycle."

But that's not true, because pretty much everyone else agrees that a cycle is a full discharge, whether that occurs as 100% to 0%, or 80% to 0% followed by 20% to 0%. And when you look at their data, remembering their definition of a cycle, the results are absolutely pointless. OF COURSE you would expect 10x the "cycles" when discharging from 10% to 0% vs. 100% to 0%.

We're not talking past each other, you've assumed they are using the terminology wrong, but they aren't. To be really clear - they're counting 10% to 0% as 1/10th of a cycle. Ten tenths makes a whole.

They really haven't made a website to reveal that 10 x 10 = 100 x 1, honest.

e: My car plugs into my 6 just fine, but the supplied lightning cable is too short to then rest the phone anywhere useful. Top design there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is more of a general question, but any recommendations on car mounts for a 5/5s? If it clips to the AC vent even better because my car designs basically screams "gently caress you and your phone mounts hope you like rounded edges everywhere".

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I got one that goes into my CD slot -- love it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I got one that goes into my CD slot -- love it.

That sounds like an interesting option. Got a link?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have this vent mount, it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D901B4W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a ProClip setup in my car, though I used a CD mount prior.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-car-smartphone-mounts-1728836505

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Here's a CD slot magnetic mount. The vent mount is also there too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A friend needs to replace the battery in their iPhone 5S, is this battery & kit okay to get? http://digitalsupplyusa.com/product...7DQERoCtMTw_wcB

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Never heard of them, but it's the same price as the Ifixit kit, which is good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Never heard of them, but it's the same price as the Ifixit kit, which is good.

I'll recommend iFixit instead, I know they have a really good reputation.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXO095U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Can anyone recommend a car mount that the phone just sits in, as opposed to being secured in place by some kind of clamp?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I'm so glad I'm a city-dweller and don't have to worry about all this car mount stuff.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The rear end Stooge posted:

Can anyone recommend a car mount that the phone just sits in, as opposed to being secured in place by some kind of clamp?

This seems like an easy way to turn a phone and a minor fender bender into phone-parts and a head injury. I used one of those gas station dash pads for my old Nokia RAZR flip-phone until it did the exact thing I just said.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

This is more of a general question, but any recommendations on car mounts for a 5/5s? If it clips to the AC vent even better because my car designs basically screams "gently caress you and your phone mounts hope you like rounded edges everywhere".

I found vent mounts to be worthless because in my car the plastic is flexible and isn't thick enough to support any weight.
Obviously that will depend on your card model.

Just for another data point, I used this CD mount:
http://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-iPhone-perfectly-fitting-charger/dp/B00YPPZTB6

It was AUD$15 on eBay without a charger/lightning cable to possibly check there too.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the recommendations!

Ended up going for this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V54LQO4/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pivo posted:

bluetooth audio is compressed which really sucks if you have a good audio system

I don't think this has been true of BT technology for a few years? Sounds the same to me and I have a hard time believing that you could tell the difference between bluetooth vs. directly wired in a blind test.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I don't think this has been true of BT technology for a few years? Sounds the same to me and I have a hard time believing that you could tell the difference between bluetooth vs. directly wired in a blind test.

Um. No, it's compressed. Apparently the 6s can send 256kbit AAC without transcoding if the BT device supports it, but I can't verify that. Regardless, it's still compressed. Most people who care about this stuff could trivially tell when a source has been stepped on by sending it through Bluetooth.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pivo posted:

Um. No, it's compressed. Apparently the 6s can send 256kbit AAC without transcoding if the BT device supports it, but I can't verify that. Regardless, it's still compressed. Most people who care about this stuff could trivially tell when a source has been stepped on by sending it through Bluetooth.

Yeah it's compressed but I still doubt that you could tell the difference in a blind test. I care about this stuff, thanks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

How do you propose I set up the test? I don't want to spend money on Bluetooth headphones I'm not going to use, but I've used plenty, I suppose I could borrow someone's. How to make it blind, though? The whole process of pairing the phone / switching headphones / yada yada, even if done by a third party, would still be incredibly obvious even if I was blindfolded. We could record the output with a very high-end microphone and then replay the lossless recording through the best headphones we could find, but that's introducing variability and spending more money on audio hardware.

So how do we do this blind test? You could just believe me that I can tell the difference when I stream music over Bluetooth, jeez. I'm not some superhero, teenage years spent in nightclubs means my hearing isn't what it used to be anyway, but I'm just a lot more anal about lossy compression than others. I notice because I'm listening for it, most other people just don't care and don't notice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think it'd be pretty easy to set up the test. I have a BT speaker that takes line in as well. I'd play you a song over Bluetooth with you facing away, then the same song on line in, repeat like 40 times and if you get it right better than 50% then you can tell the difference. We'd also do the same thing with like 2500 other people. I mean, we don't need double blinding for this as long as you never see the tester.

I bet there are good headphones that also have line in support.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

We'd also do the same thing with like 2500 other people.

Now, the matter of funding. Apple is rumoured to be pushing wireless audio on the next iPhone, so if you're right, this could be a study they'd be interested in. You never know, we might be able to get a car or two and some headphones out of this.

Let's do this. the iPhone thread is on a mission.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm usually listening to music in my lovely Civic instead of in my acoustically-isolated limousine, so using BT doesn't matter.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Compressed audio is compressed audio, you don't need literal Bluetooth headphones to do an ABX test for compressed audio.

That said, modern Bluetooth has enough bandwidth to stream basically lossless audio, so you can rest easy knowing that those frequencies you pretend you can still hear are being preserved :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have BT headphones and a BT FM transmitter and you can 100% tell that the BT audio is compressed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

No one has been able to properly ABX 256kbs audio in forever, but the bluetooth audio spec is hot garbage so even at relatively high bitrates it achieves awful results.
It's suitable for plenty of purposes, but if you actually get down to testing it, you can ABX BT audio about as easily as 128kbs AAC.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
All non poo poo BT headphones cost way too much money.
The DAC of the iphone is really nice, so losing that would suck hard.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Don't poke the audiophile nest.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Don't poke the audiophile nest.

Don't listen to this guy, it's way too much fun

e:

the panacea posted:

The DAC of the iphone is really nice, so losing that would suck hard.

Not just good, it's actually literally one of the best you can get your hands on.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

Personal :spergin: perhaps, but I'd not buy an iPhone in a hurry if the quality was sacrificed for "thinness".
The sad thing about it is, they can't advertise how good of a DAC it actually includes, because you just get the audiphools wailing about 24bit audio.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 9, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

please don't link ken rockwell in any serious-posts

photography thread might have to have a word with you

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Speaking of poking nests, what does the iPhone Thread make of the fact that Apple Store employees now have a machine to apply screen protectors for you?

*backs away*

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rockwell reviews devices he's never used then spends a paragraph begging for change. Use him for tech sheets and nothing else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Froist posted:

Speaking of poking nests, what does the iPhone Thread make of the fact that Apple Store employees now have a machine to apply screen protectors for you?

*backs away*

The end of Apple as we know it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New minor thing that annoys me: if I use the swipe-down on Facebook messenger notifications to write a message, and then don't press Send on the exact tiny hotspot it just takes you to the app and you lose the message.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

New minor thing that annoys me: if I use the swipe-down on Facebook messenger notifications to write a message, and then don't press Send on the exact tiny hotspot it just takes you to the app and you lose the message.

That happens in a few apps (sometimes in Messages maybe? Definitely in FB Messenger also) and it's annoying as gently caress.

I had the Notification Swipe keyboard (the black one that looks cool as gently caress) stuck on my screen the other day after a dodgy FB Messenger notification.

e: Ah I see you were also talking about FB Messenger as opposed to FB.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Froist posted:

*backs away*

This is awesome. If it's a reasonable price I will be driving to my nearest apple store today.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dik-dik posted:

This is awesome. If it's a reasonable price I will be driving to my nearest apple store today.

It's only applicable to the following two protectors: Invisiglass is $34.95, anti glare is $17.95

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dik-dik posted:

I'm curious about the price. How close to the screen replacement fee does it get? :v:

edit - nevermind, someone just posted the price!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rockwell reviews devices he's never used then spends a paragraph begging for change. Use him for tech sheets and nothing else.

I was going to do the rockwell trigger warning, but yeah I mean just look at the graphs. Other sources corroborate if you search around.