Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

As opposed to your completely bizarre statement about it?

It's bizarre to have out of date information about anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's bizarre to have out of date information about anime?

It's bizarre to try to condescend to someone about out of date information about anime, yes, since you were accusing someone else of being stuck in a time warp for caring about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's bizarre to try to condescend to someone about out of date information about anime, yes, since you were accusing someone else of being stuck in a time warp for caring about it.

All right I guess you win whatever competition was going on. You are the best at caring about anime.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a crybaby

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hey, a costume question!

So, what's the thread's opinion on Spider-Man's webbing underarm things? Yay or nay?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, a costume question!

So, what's the thread's opinion on Spider-Man's webbing underarm things? Yay or nay?

I never liked it as it seemed unnecessary. Also, it makes him look like a flying squirrel.

Piggyback question: emoting with the mask's eyes? Yay or nay?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, a costume question!

I can see both sides on that question.

Pro: Ditko did it! Tradition!
Con: They're dumb and useless (and no, he does NOT use them to glide, shut up) and they detract from the otherwise sleek, formfitting look of his costume.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Hulk Smash! posted:

I never liked it as it seemed unnecessary. Also, it makes him look like a flying squirrel.

Very very yay. Spider-man has always seemed to me to be one of the more emotional and expressive characters and without a half mask like Batman or Cap, the eye's seem to the best way to show that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, a costume question!

Nay!

Hulk Smash! posted:

Yay!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, I don't know what his problem is.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Gon looks a lot better in the Black and White only, basic lines of the manga then that almost fully green abomination up there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, a costume question!

I've never really liked them.

The mask emoting is essential though.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Hulk Smash! posted:

It completely lends to his cartoonish-side so it's a must. For other characters though not so much.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Spider-Man should mask emote when he's happy and goofy and having fun and being his witty self.

In scenes when he is angry and super serious he should not emote and look angry, but should instead have a non-emoted mask.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

To answer my own question, I guess, I like it when it's the whole "eye" that changes shapes. Not a fan of only the white part changing while the black outline stays the same shape.

Like this:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of any anime designs that aren't terrible. And I don't even hate anime.

Gundams look cool and look how much they have to milk that.

(Let's not make this the anime costume thread)

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, a costume question!

👍 I like them, especially if they're not enormous. They help distinguish his silhouette.

Hulk Smash! posted:

👍👍👍👍👍 I love emoting, and support emoting-mask 100%. If someone wants to try a stylized take on it, though, I love this idea:

KittyEmpress posted:

Spider-Man should mask emote when he's happy and goofy and having fun and being his witty self.

In scenes when he is angry and super serious he should not emote and look angry, but should instead have a non-emoted mask.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yea to mask emoting but it works best with smaller Ditko-sized eyes so he can go MacFarlane bugeyed when surprised by something, it worked out pretty well in the 90s cartoon series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Yea to mask emoting but it works best with smaller Ditko-sized eyes so he can go MacFarlane bugeyed when surprised by something, it worked out pretty well in the 90s cartoon series.

Yeah, in general I'm a fan of the ditko sized eyes over the ridiculously huge Ultimate Bagley ones.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hulk Smash! posted:

To answer my own question, I guess, I like it when it's the whole "eye" that changes shapes. Not a fan of only the white part changing while the black outline stays the same shape.

Like this:

That's way too obvious, but maybe that's the joke. Having the eyes change is a nice, subtle use of artistic license.

I like the web pits, but they're definitely not necessary.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
web pits only if it let him glide or something.

The author of hxh doesn't put much flair on his characters clothing, he's the same dude who made yu yu hakusho. It doesn't matter much since he characterises them pretty well.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Die Laughing posted:

First of all, I would like to thank the many, many fans throughout this country that wrote cards and letters to Shannon Carter, the American Dream, while I was down. Secondly, I want to thank Marvel Comics for waiting and taking the time, because I know how important it was — Secret Wars 2015 - it is to the comic fans and it is to Marvel Comics. And Shannon Carter, the American Dream, with that wait, got what I wanted: Doctor Doom, the god of Battleworld!

I don't have to say a lot more about the way I feel about Doctor Doom! No respect! No honor! There is no honor among thieves in the first place. He put hard times on Shannon Carter and her family. You don't know what hard times are, daddy! Hard times are when the mutants around this country are out of work and got four, five kids from different timelines, and can't pay their wages, can't buy their food. Hard times are when the auto workers are out of work and they tell them 'Go home!'. And hard times are when a man had his own book thirty years — thirty years! — they give him a crossover, kick him in the butt and say 'Hey, a Inhuman took your place, daddy!'. That's hard times! That's hard times.

And Doctor Doom, you put hard times on this country by taking Shannon Carter out. That's hard times! And we all had hard times together. I admit, I don't look like the heroes are today supposed to look. My belly is just a little big, my hiney is just a little big, but brother, I am bad, and they know I'm bad. And there were two bad people: one was Captain Marvel — and he's dead, brother — and the other one is right here!

Victor Von Doom, the Infinity Gauntlet belongs to these people. I'm gonna reach out right now. I want you at home to know, my hand is touching your hand for this gathering of the biggest body of people in this country, in this universe, all over the world. Now reach it out! Because the love that was given me — and this time I will repay you, now. Because I will be the next wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet, on this Hard Times Blues Shannon Carter 2015 tour!

And Doctor Doom, god of Battleworld, let me leave you with this: One way to hurt Doctor Doom is to take what he cherishes more than anything in the world. That's the Infinity Gauntlet! I will take it. I've been there twice. This time, when I take it, daddy, I'm gonna take it for you. Let's gather for it! Don't let me down now, 'cause I came back you, for that man up there that died ten, twelve years ago, that never got the opportunity to see a real wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet. I'm proud of you and thank god I have you. I love you. Love you!

Now I want to see Doom doing a full Rick Flair shoot, WOOO!, strut and all.

Followed by dropping the cape, taking off one gauntlet, and opening the Marvel Slobberknocker one-shot.

Edit - whoops, wrestling/comics in the Costume thread! Uhhh, distracting callback to the X-Diaper!

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 9, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now I'm picturing Thanos talking about how he had the Gauntlet FIVE TIMES, FIVE TIMES, FIVE TIMES!!! while staring at his hand, then breakdancing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have to have Spider-Man emote through his mask, but I'm a much bigger fan of the big eyes, a la McFarlane, Larsen, Bagley, and Campbell. To me, he always looks creepier and less friendly with the small, Ditko-style eyes.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Die Laughing posted:

First of all, I would like to thank the many, many fans throughout this country that wrote cards and letters to Shannon Carter, the American Dream, while I was down. Secondly, I want to thank Marvel Comics for waiting and taking the time, because I know how important it was — Secret Wars 2015 - it is to the comic fans and it is to Marvel Comics. And Shannon Carter, the American Dream, with that wait, got what I wanted: Doctor Doom, the god of Battleworld!

I don't have to say a lot more about the way I feel about Doctor Doom! No respect! No honor! There is no honor among thieves in the first place. He put hard times on Shannon Carter and her family. You don't know what hard times are, daddy! Hard times are when the mutants around this country are out of work and got four, five kids from different timelines, and can't pay their wages, can't buy their food. Hard times are when the auto workers are out of work and they tell them 'Go home!'. And hard times are when a man had his own book thirty years — thirty years! — they give him a crossover, kick him in the butt and say 'Hey, a Inhuman took your place, daddy!'. That's hard times! That's hard times.

And Doctor Doom, you put hard times on this country by taking Shannon Carter out. That's hard times! And we all had hard times together. I admit, I don't look like the heroes are today supposed to look. My belly is just a little big, my hiney is just a little big, but brother, I am bad, and they know I'm bad. And there were two bad people: one was Captain Marvel — and he's dead, brother — and the other one is right here!

Victor Von Doom, the Infinity Gauntlet belongs to these people. I'm gonna reach out right now. I want you at home to know, my hand is touching your hand for this gathering of the biggest body of people in this country, in this universe, all over the world. Now reach it out! Because the love that was given me — and this time I will repay you, now. Because I will be the next wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet, on this Hard Times Blues Shannon Carter 2015 tour!

And Doctor Doom, god of Battleworld, let me leave you with this: One way to hurt Doctor Doom is to take what he cherishes more than anything in the world. That's the Infinity Gauntlet! I will take it. I've been there twice. This time, when I take it, daddy, I'm gonna take it for you. Let's gather for it! Don't let me down now, 'cause I came back you, for that man up there that died ten, twelve years ago, that never got the opportunity to see a real wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet. I'm proud of you and thank god I have you. I love you. Love you!

...this seriously made my night. Thank you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hulk Smash! posted:

Essential, especially in animation. Same goes for Batman, and a bunch of others.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I heard someone talkin' poo poo about anime costumes

I am also for mask-emoting in general, though especially for Spiderman since his mask covers everything else he could emote with unless someone wanted to put a lot of effort into his body language, which is sort of infeasible and takes up way more page space.

and since this is the BSS costume thread, I will say that I have played a little bit of Marvel Heroes and the two costumes that have convinced me to pay money for them are Luke Cage's Noir costume and Nightcrawler's House of M Costume. I then got really disappointed because the House of M costume has a stupid ponytail.

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 10, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I am also for mask-emoting in general, though especially for Spiderman since his mask covers everything else he could emote with unless someone wanted to put a lot of effort into his body language, which is sort of ingeasible and takes up way more page space.

Which wouldn't be a problem if Marvel didn't insist on hiring druid penciller after druid penciller to work on the ol' webhead. :arghfist::spidey:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's actually one of the things I really like about Deadpool. He (his penciller, really) manages to emote fairly decently through his mask.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

She's Sharon Carter's niece, who grew up idolising Cap.

And eventually Steve just said "For God's sake, take the stupid shield and call yourself Captain America, girl!"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Jean Grey's new costume is pretty bad:

it looks like she put a modesty towel front and back. Either make it a full skirt with leggings below or leave the skirt part, but that thing doesn't work at all, except maybe if you make it a running gag with her putting on a new, worse, costume every book.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 20, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well, I like the upper half at least.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Upper part looks good, I agree, mask too, unlike the old, old one (although, everyone knows who she is, seems a bit useless with no secret identity)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Been waiting eight months for an answer on this:

Squizzle posted:

Also why is Nightcrawler a medieval knight man now?

Is it at all explained in the comic?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

Jean Grey's new costume is pretty bad:

it looks like she put a modesty towel front and back. Either make it a full skirt with leggings below or leave the skirt part, but that thing doesn't work at all, except maybe if you make it a running gag with her putting on a new, worse, costume every book.

It's just the colors. It's basically Rogue's costume with a partial skirt instead.

The problem with Jean's there is the yellow skirt over the yellow part of the pants. You can't do that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Every costume on that page is pretty bad, except for Nightcrawler's 70s look.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Storm appears to be wearing one of Emma Frost's costumes but with a black undershirt.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I like how Jean's gloves can change color. It's like she's a wizard.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what Storm keeps in her pouches. Guess they had to get some kind of X on her somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Right pouch: phone, wallet, sometimes a pen and little notepad
Left pouch: keys, sunglasses in case, extra hold hairspray

• Locked thread