Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You can choose between a new rule for the february thread! What will it be?
This poll is closed.
Don't diss the Creativision. Also "Cretinvision" will get wordfiltered to "I am an rear end in a top hat" 22 10.19%
If you talk about Papyrus you will need to refer him as Mr. Papyrus, unless the author changes the pronoun. 70 32.41%
Everyone who posts in pages before the third and after the second has to write I love videogames at least once and never talk about ponies. 77 35.65%
Do not attach pools to the thread. Pools divide the community in fatties and sportys and they are highly triggering. 47 21.76%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fonzarelli posted:

gametrailers is shutting down forever and i'm pretty unhappy about that, they were one of the few video game sites that actually seemed to enjoy video games

final bosman was the best video game dude rant show out there

Yup. I loved Final Bosman, and really all of their youtube content. Losing all GT's shows sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Like everybody else on the internet I stopped caring about GameTrailers when YouTube became a thing, but they always have a special place in my heart because when Final Fantasy XII came out they were like the one review site to not just give it a 10/10 and actually warn people that it was a single-player MMO with a heavy focus on grinding and a story that was just Star Wars with the serial numbers clumsily filed off.

And Pop Fiction really was great, I loved finding out that half of Ocarina of Time's soundtrack was stock music and sound effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U34MFcJdGCo&t=476s

Their reviews were genuinely pretty good, especially compared to other sites (even if they did sometimes show some big spoilers). I also liked their retrospective videos whenever a new iteration of an old franchise would come out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fonzarelli posted:

i don't know what other games podcast to listen to, giantbomb is way too long and their personal stories make me want to blow my brains out

maybe kindafunny games is okay? I dunno.

Yo Idle Thumbs yo.

VideoGamer and Daft Souls are good too. Jimquisition's alright if you're already fist deep into that world.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What stuff did gametrailers handle?

Were they in charge of the screwattack stuff and talking classics?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCxZtRrc2Q

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I gave Mad Max a spin last night and good grief is that a well polished game. It runs flawlessly and is a WB game. How did they mess up Arkham Knight so badly in comparison?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I gave Mad Max a spin last night and good grief is that a well polished game. It runs flawlessly and is a WB game. How did they mess up Arkham Knight so badly in comparison?
Assuming you're talking about the PC versions here...

Mad Max was developed by Avalanche Studios, who have a great deal of experience in multiplatform development. The PC version was done at the same time as the consoles, by the same team, so there was no lowest-bidder bullshit going on.

Arkham Knight's PC port was outsourced to Iron Galaxy, and the story I've heard was that their twelve man team were only given eight weeks to do the port while simultaneously finishing up Killer Instinct stuff for Microsoft. Not great!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When's E3 this year, I need to book my holidays at work

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

When's E3 this year, I need to book my holidays at work
June 14-16, although there'll be announcements in the days beforehand (Bethesda's presser is on the 12th)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Kins posted:

Mad Max was developed by Avalanche Studios, who have a great deal of experience in multiplatform development. The PC version was done at the same time as the consoles, by the same team, so there was no lowest-bidder bullshit going on.

Arkham Knight's PC port was outsourced to Iron Galaxy, and the story I've heard was that their twelve man team were only given eight weeks to do the port while simultaneously finishing up Killer Instinct stuff for Microsoft. Not great!

Also they're Iron Galaxy, makers of lovely rear end ports in general.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

speaking of Avalanche, is Just Cause 3 still having horrible performance problems? I want to play it on my new computer but I don’t want one of my first games to bring said new computer to its knees because that would be depressing

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

PantsBandit posted:

I've spent enough time on the internet to know that's sonic the hedgehog in that stomach.

This made me laugh too hard.

Meanwhile we've had great fun with "Koolaid Man"-ing Andromedons by mind controlling them and sending through the walls of houses and buildings to scout for enemy pods. It's kind of the best thing. I'm loving XCOM2.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Fonzarelli posted:

i don't know what other games podcast to listen to, giantbomb is way too long and their personal stories make me want to blow my brains out

Being from Europe I like thinking that the people at Giantbomb represent the average American with all their fast food and toy buying compulsions.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cable posted:

Being from Europe I like thinking that the people at Giantbomb represent the average American with all their fast food and toy buying compulsions.

i tried to listen to them a couple months ago and one of them talked about his commute to work for like 15 minutes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Their recent Kerbal videos have been really great I have to say, though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cable posted:

Fonzarelli posted:

i tried to listen to them a couple months ago and one of them talked about his commute to work for like 15 minutes

Yeah, Giantbomb is the best.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Starting this Wednesday my gf is out of the house for 5 whole days and also I took those five days off. This is unprecedented since uni. On the docket:

Rise of tomb raider
Firewatch
Dragons dogma
AC syndicate
And I might try to pick up demons souls and or the witcher 3 again.

I'm gonna buy some mountain dew and everything

E: oh poo poo and how could I forget xcom 2 og my god I can't wait

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't forget to eat pie cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQXa_43x-Bk

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Kins posted:

That is exactly what I was referring to and thank you for the enlightenment. It ran so well and so beautifully. I had assumed WB actually decided to spend the money correctly on Mad Max after the stupidity of Arkham Knight but that it was different studios makes more sense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like the Mad Max game and it's a shame WB studios stiffed it when it comes to marketing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

speaking of Avalanche, is Just Cause 3 still having horrible performance problems? I want to play it on my new computer but I don’t want one of my first games to bring said new computer to its knees because that would be depressing

It never got fixed well enough to run well on my computer, even at medium settings. It's apparently like Arkham Knight in that they patched it enough that, for some people, it runs fine but others will never really get a working game.

Avalanche can suck a dick as far as I'm concerned. That burned all my good will with them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That really is a shame. I have held off on JC3 because I heard it was a similar Arkham affair. I don't own Arkham either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really like all the arkham games I played, even the bad one, but the horrible PC port of Knight combined with what I heard in reviews means I'll probably never even play it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope everybody is having a good day, today

I am gonna play braveland, because it is a fun, casual king's bounty-style game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

It never got fixed well enough to run well on my computer, even at medium settings. It's apparently like Arkham Knight in that they patched it enough that, for some people, it runs fine but others will never really get a working game.

Avalanche can suck a dick as far as I'm concerned. That burned all my good will with them.
:negative:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PantsBandit posted:

Not that it excuses them, but the original, Swedish Avalanche made Mad Max--which runs like a dream--while their new US studio made JC3.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mordja posted:

Not that it excuses them, but the original, Swedish Avalanche made Mad Max--which runs like a dream--while their new US studio made JC3.

Yeah I had heard that it wasn't their primary team working on JC3. Honestly it just annoys me more that they delegated the new entry into the series that put them on the map in order to focus their efforts on making a licensed game. I've been a longtime fan of the series (all the way back to JC1 a decade ago) so I was very invested in the new game. It felt like they just tossed it out the door when it was "good enough".

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

Oh really? I had heard the opposite.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Giantbomb peaked with the Persona 4 Endurance Run

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I recently tried to play Final Fantasy XIII-2's PC port and although I had heard Square-Enix makes lovely ports this was ridiculous. My modern gaming PC can only play it at 10-20 FPS on average, and after trying out a bunch of different things and reading the Steam forums a ton of people have this problem with fixes that only appear to work with Nvidia cards, somewhat (my card is AMD). It's been over a year and as far as I can tell Square-Enix hasn't put out a patch at all to fix the plethora of problems it has. Every single review of the port says how terrible it is, and Square-Enix is apparently okay with that.

I only paid a couple of bucks during a sale for it and supposedly it isn't even that good but I haven't felt ripped off like that in quite a while. I couldn't refund it either because it has been sitting in my backlog for months.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ekster posted:

(my card is AMD)
Oh, man. I... I'm so sorry.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Kins posted:

Oh, man. I... I'm so sorry.

I really should've bought NVidia, agreed.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ekster posted:

I really should've bought NVidia, agreed.

Not sure what happened with them. I remember AMD being THE choice at one point. Maybe it was a fever dream.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I like the Mad Max game and it's a shame WB studios stiffed it when it comes to marketing.

I'm about to start this; I'm excited

to see how well it runs on my like 6 year old video card

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Unravel is cute :3: I fuckin love platformers you guys :buddy:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Not sure what happened with them. I remember AMD being THE choice at one point. Maybe it was a fever dream.

When was this, I don't ever remember a time in which people weren't bitching about games only working on Nvidia on launch day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It really is and looks pretty amazing for an indie platformer.
Uh, I guess I can't really call it indie if it's published by EA. Indie-style??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FanaticalMilk posted:

When was this, I don't ever remember a time in which people weren't bitching about games only working on Nvidia on launch day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Healbot posted:

Also they're Iron Galaxy, makers of lovely rear end ports in general.

yeah, but i'm not sure even a good porting team would be able to deal with a company refusing to give them code and assets because they might SPOIL THE ENDING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

that was ati though amd has always been garbage cards

• Locked thread