Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I joined the Natty G right when I got out of high school with the intentions of going to college and doing all that poo poo. I ended up getting activated 1 month into college and having to drop all my courses. I came back and the only thing that the guard really messed up with my schooling was the difficulty of taking summer courses due to annual training.

They also attempted to send me back to Iraq 2 months after I de-mobed from my 06 deployment. They were essentially cherry-picking dudes to fill numbers and I got called up. Fortunately the Dwell time act or whatever came into effect and I got out of a lovely prison guard detail deployment... Anywho, probably would be better to join the guard or another branch and get a decent job out of it than being infantry or whatever.

It's not going to end any chances she has at going to college, but even with the draw down of forces there's been talks about utilizing guard/reservists for overseas deployment more often. Places like Europe and Africa. Not to mention if something like flint Michigan happens again she'll be stuck putting cases of water in people's vehicle for 4-5 weeks, which will really gently caress up her semester.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah they're still rotating reserve units through Kuwait and Djibouti, as well as Guam and Korea. Not sure about national guard, but it's probably similar.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

psydude posted:

Yeah they're still rotating reserve units through Kuwait and Djibouti, as well as Guam and Korea. Not sure about national guard, but it's probably similar.

Yep, Horn of Africa has guardsmen rotating, I think every ~4 years is the plan. Kansas went back in 2011-2012? and I believe are slotted to go back in 2017. Not to mention whoever the dude was that said "we oughta double training days of the guards/reserves" mentioned more utilization of part time soldiers for non combat related deployments.

So could happen, or it could be that dude just blowing a bunch of smoke up everyone's rear end and it'll just stay the way things are right now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kuwait is still a Guard destination. You sit in the desert for 10 months doing nothing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Kuwait is still a Guard destination. You sit in the desert for 10 months doing nothing.

as opposed to

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Vasudus posted:

as opposed to

Walking around the desert doing nothing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Getting blown up I guess.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MurderBot posted:

Yep, Horn of Africa has guardsmen rotating, I think every ~4 years is the plan. Kansas went back in 2011-2012? and I believe are slotted to go back in 2017. Not to mention whoever the dude was that said "we oughta double training days of the guards/reserves" mentioned more utilization of part time soldiers for non combat related deployments.

So could happen, or it could be that dude just blowing a bunch of smoke up everyone's rear end and it'll just stay the way things are right now.

That's me right now, heading to da booty.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

GL HF don't have sex with the locals

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
5 year rotation for most guard. Kuwait, gitmo, the booty, Africa, and even Iraq (yes, still) if you're a small, unlucky unit, like fiance or PAO.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Kuwait is superior. Better food, no weapons or Body Armor, and overall chillaxed. I'd take that over any FOB bullshit anyday.

On a different note:

I signed off on my NARSUM today. It looks like I'll be getting anywhere from 20-60% just for my legs with the probability going at 40-60. That's not including various other things I'll get random 10% for and my PTSD 30% claim. These are guestimates but it's still something to go off of. I won't get my rates for a while, but I should get the results of my PEB on a retain/do not retain within a week hopefully.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Welp, just caught up with what's going on with McNally. gently caress. I'll raise a glass or seven to you tonight. That's some heavy poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Welp, just caught up with what's going on with McNally. gently caress. I'll raise a glass or seven to you tonight. That's some heavy poo poo.

I honestly think he needs to leak this to a media outlet. Like even cracked would be good coverage if a national outlet doesn't pick it up (chances are slimmer there).

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've thought about it, not gonna lie. But let's let the IG do its thing before I start raining public opinion hellfire.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

Kuwait is superior. Better food, no weapons or Body Armor, and overall chillaxed. I'd take that over any FOB bullshit anyday.

We sent some dudes to Kuwait for medical or other reasons and they required them to have BFDs on their weapons. They made sure to send us pics of themselves drinking beers by the pool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
A few lucky fucks are going to Diego Garcia for the "Africa" mission.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Brony detected.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vulture posted:

Have a question: My 18 year old cousin joined the nat. guard to help with affording college. How badly might she be hosed from doing this? (hopefully figuratively.. But after reading through this thread jfc i dunno)

Depends on the state level edu benefits. I've been in for 5.5 years now and with a 1 year deployment I've got 60% Post 9/11 (literally two weeks of Title 10 time short of 80% :bahgawd:) and enough state edu benefits to get a masters degree completely for free + like $1200 a month in VA funbux. I also have a somewhat civilian useful MOS (35 series). It definitely sucks at times, but it's definitely not as soul crushingly horrible as the active military can be. I'd do it again but, YMMV.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBH the guard/reserve isn't terrible and it can certainly be helpful, it's just reached a point for me where the benefits no longer trump the annoyances.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MurderBot posted:

Yep, Horn of Africa has guardsmen rotating,

So is Cuba and Quatar.

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

MurderBot posted:

so is 'horn of africa' like Puerto rico? how good are their public schools (planning to move out of here w/ family soon)

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Vulture posted:

so is 'horn of africa' like Puerto rico? how good are their public schools (planning to move out of here w/ family soon)

I got out 5 months before they deployed, thus I haven't been to Africa. I would think that it's probably not like Puerto Rico, the base is in Djibouti, but if you look for some housing in Somalia you might be able to get a pretty decent deal on some land.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 10, 2016

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

spacetoaster posted:

So is Quatar.

Don't i know it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Gitmo could gonna be a pretty fuckin great duty station if we ever get normalized with Cuba again

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Two words: Cuban butts.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Right now gitmo is all Jamaicans and Filipinos, but like in the bad way. Gitmo sucks rear end.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Got a call from CID today. They tell me they're still waiting on the toxicology report and that they're going to start requesting my wife's mental health records soon.

My wife died two months ago yesterday.

Well done CID.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Grossly incompetent doesn't begin to describe it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

Got a call from CID today. They tell me they're still waiting on the toxicology report and that they're going to start requesting my wife's mental health records soon.

My wife died two months ago yesterday.

Well done CID.

That sucks. Sorry.

If CID harasses you go talk to a lawyer. A good friend of mine who is a BN XO lost his wife to suicide last Christmas and while me and several other field grades are in there consoling him and working out a plan to take care of his 3 kids some CID E6 comes in and starts rudely asking questions and insinuating that it "might" not have been suicide (insinuating my friend staged his wife's death while the whole family was in the house asleep).

One of the majors took the dude outside and did/said something. Anyway the cid agent came back in and asked for some actual legitimate background info and left after that.

I'm not saying they're all butt heads, but I'm an MP and they're all butt heads (and me too).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The few times I've dealt with CID I had a hard time taking them seriously because they were like 19.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

That sucks. Sorry.

If CID harasses you go talk to a lawyer. A good friend of mine who is a BN XO lost his wife to suicide last Christmas and while me and several other field grades are in there consoling him and working out a plan to take care of his 3 kids some CID E6 comes in and starts rudely asking questions and insinuating that it "might" not have been suicide (insinuating my friend staged his wife's death while the whole family was in the house asleep).

One of the majors took the dude outside and did/said something. Anyway the cid agent came back in and asked for some actual legitimate background info and left after that.

I'm not saying they're all butt heads, but I'm an MP and they're all butt heads (and me too).

I would have thrown that E6 out the window. You guys all saw that E6 jump out the window, right? He must have been depressed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We kicked rear end at pre mob training so now the 1SG wants to do daily wall locker inspections.

He's been grumpy because he heard too many soldiers joking and laughing during the duty day and because we've had our perennial gently caress up be only one minute early to the only event we had in the last three days.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's a really, really hard decision to make but if there was any one single phrase or idea I could get rid of from the Army I think I could be convinced to vote for the idea that on time is late and ten minutes early is on time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SumYungGui posted:

It's a really, really hard decision to make but if there was any one single phrase or idea I could get rid of from the Army I think I could be convinced to vote for the idea that on time is late and ten minutes early is on time.

I have to be completely honest, that's one thing that has helped me more in civilian stuff than just about anything else.

It really gives you some leeway to get lost/forget something/find the correct room/etc and still be able to recover.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yeah of all the dumb military-isms being indoctrinated to being early is not a very negative one

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If you want a dumb thing I can't stop doing is writing only in black ink.

Because "only commies write in blue ink" - My SGT 20 years ago.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sure it's good practice to arrive early and everyone should do it. It was the inevitable retarded Army fuckery that revolved around it that makes me hate that god drat phrase specifically.

Nobody could give a straight answer about when to be anywhere because depending on who you talked to there was an ever increasing number of layers of retardation moving the due time back further and further. Just tell me when the loving formation is, I'll arrive there early because that's the responsible thing to do. Don't tell me the due time is 15 minutes before when the actual formation is and then leave the unspoken rule that I should show up 10 minutes early to the due time that was actually 30 minutes after that because the 1SG wanted to make sure everyone was going to be there on time but really it was 45 minutes after the due time because brigade wanted to make sure everyone was on time and it was actually.....and on and on and on.

Basically it was one specific symptom of the complete inability to treat people like adults that frustrated the gently caress out of me the entire time I was dumb enough to be enlisted and standing around for an hour before every formation.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That post about a division level run suddenly comes to mind

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
One time Bush came to fort hood, and everyone had to march down and get searched by Secret Service before getting onto 1CD parade field. I think the kick off time for SS pat downs was something like 1000, so naturally everyone had a formation at 0300 just to make sure.

I got out of that one thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Like loving george bush is going to call someone out on a haircut among a crowd of 10000 soldiers during a 5 minute speech. I think like everyone had to get high and tights it was amazing.

Bush basically got up there and said "good work, america loves you, thanks for your service" and walked off stage in less than 10 minutes.

• Locked thread