Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

So is there anyone in here who can speak to modding in this game? I know Firaxis did everything short of just handing out the source code, but I'm curious to hear how intuitive the modding process is. There are a load of them out already but the majority seem to be basic texture mods.

Well, it's unreal engine stuff, which means it's visual studio - not too hard to mod stuff in.

However, apparently Firaxis' modding views are on stuff that you can add but not totally override. Adding in a new class is easier than to change how an existing skill works, apparently. There are a few tutorials on nexus, XCOM2's own mods forum and even a few subreddits around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

theBeaz posted:

So at this point the only missions I hate are the retribution missions. I don't mind most of the other timed missions because I treat them as "stealth as fast as you can to the objective, then fight your way out", but saving civilians is another headache altogether. I've lost more than one mission where there's a single remaining lancer and he's actively running away from me to kill that LAST civilian when I've saved 5/6. Also due to having to rush in I'm fighting 2-3 pods at the same time and it's a bloodbath.

The mandatory "one civilian killed per turn" faux-timer is the most infuriating one in this game.

Can anyone provide some advice on these missions? I'm apparently missing something here. I don't recall terror missions being nearly this frustrating (though they sucked too).

Battle Scanners and Scanning Protocol and/or a Phantom Ranger.

Knowing where everything is and avoiding ambushes, if not trivializes, at least makes them far more manageable.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

I've literally never been shot by a disoriented enemy. Not once. And I use Flashbangs as 'get out of situation free' cards almost every mission, as well, so I feel like I should have gotten bullshitted on that at least once if this is true. He's probably misreading the code, or the script is doing some sort of non-obvious correction.

I've also been having descent luck with the flashbangs, enemies shooting me when disoriented is quite a rare event, but when they do they seem bizarrely accurate, so I think it's possible thus bug might actually exist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah Battle Scanners are really only worth the slot in Retribution missions. Even if they don't see anything, you at least know you can gold move into that area without getting your poo poo pushed in - or to avoid that area entirely if it is deserted.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Alkydere posted:

Hah, that's hilarious. If you ever got critted by a non-flanking Sectoid, it's apparently because you flashbanged him since Sectoids naturally have 0 crit chance in the .ini files.

WHAT

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Coolguye posted:

"Intuitive" is being generous. You can explore the code as much as you like, and there's tons of examples on how to set your scripts up, but how stuff is glued together is a little weird at times and there is not a whole lot of documentation beyond the code itself. So one should expect a lot of trial and error in doing anything novel.

I've literally never been shot by a disoriented enemy. Not once. And I use Flashbangs as 'get out of situation free' cards almost every mission, as well, so I feel like I should have gotten bullshitted on that at least once if this is true. He's probably misreading the code, or the script is doing some sort of non-obvious correction.

I've been hit and crit thru flashbangs very consistently...just figured they nerfed the crap out of them from EU and made them only -20 aim or something and I was unlucky

But yeah high cover is what, 40 defense, and a flashbang if it's supposed to be 50 would mean you're looking at a 0% chance to crit and 10% chance to be hit thru hard cover assuming 100 aim so that would explain my experience with flashbangs

Off the top of my head I'd have to say I've been hit thru flashbang + high cover 6 or 7 times and crit once

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Ravenfood posted:

Which buildings gain benefits from being staffed? Labs improve research speed with scientists, the AWS improves healing rates, Proving Ground project rates speed up, Resistance Comms get a massive boost if you upgrade it and staff it with two, ditto Power Relays. Labs basically give you a free adjacent engineer, any others?

And Rk. Hugh "Slim" Mann has joined XCOM to fight the glorious oppressors. I want to kit him out as a sniper with the Wraith Suit, but I can't decide between a gas/acid grenade or venom rounds. Thoughts?

I think you mean workshop; it gives two gremlins (which can serve as engineers in adjacent rooms) per engineer spot and can be upgraded for two engineer spots (and thus four gremlins total). Psi lab staffing halves training time, making it very valuable. There's also the Defense Matrix, which gives turrets in the avenger defense mission and can have an engineer to improve their stats, but it's not really worth the space or the staffing.

If he's a sniper then definitely venom rounds, because there are lots of good gunslinger skills that can give you more chances to proc the poison.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LightWarden posted:

If he's a sniper then definitely venom rounds, because there are lots of good gunslinger skills that can give you more chances to proc the poison.

Speaking of venom rounds, I'm kind of disappointed that they don't appear to proc on missed shots with the "missed shots still deal 1 damage" weapon mod.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

I've been hit and crit thru flashbangs very consistently...just figured they nerfed the crap out of them from EU and made them only -20 aim or something and I was unlucky

But yeah high cover is what, 40 defense, and a flashbang if it's supposed to be 50 would mean you're looking at a 0% chance to crit and 10% chance to be hit thru hard cover assuming 100 aim so that would explain my experience with flashbangs

Off the top of my head I'd have to say I've been hit thru flashbang + high cover 6 or 7 times and crit once

I wonder if the Disorientation still affects enemy AI in that it makes them not want to fire, and that's what's coloring my memories, then.

I'll see about trying to set up a simulation on this in the dev tools. I feel like there should be a way to get enemy shot accuracies to display with debug mode turned on. In the meantime, maybe it is possible to reproduce this with flashbangs in multiplayer? Two kind goons want to volunteer setting that up? I'm actually not convinced it will do the same thing (there's no guarantee that SP and MP flashbangs work the same way), but if you happen to be able to reproduce it in MP, that's a pretty strong bit of evidence.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I wonder if the Disorientation still affects enemy AI in that it makes them not want to fire, and that's what's coloring my memories, then.

I'll see about trying to set up a simulation on this in the dev tools. I feel like there should be a way to get enemy shot accuracies to display with debug mode turned on. In the meantime, maybe it is possible to reproduce this with flashbangs in multiplayer? Two kind goons want to volunteer setting that up? I'm actually not convinced it will do the same thing (there's no guarantee that SP and MP flashbangs work the same way), but if you happen to be able to reproduce it in MP, that's a pretty strong bit of evidence.

Let me know if you find a good quick way to build a half-empty map in the editor, I need a good way to test items once I build them but didn't see anything very straightforward last night in the editor.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Do upgrades to my Sharpshooter's sniper rifle apply to his Pistol too? Or can you just not upgrade that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Let me know if you find a good quick way to build a half-empty map in the editor, I need a good way to test items once I build them but didn't see anything very straightforward last night in the editor.

When you start the game in debug mode there's a 'Tactical' button that will drop you into the Battlescape. You can then use console commands to do whatever you wish from there.

My basic idea is to spawn some flashbangs for people, then spawn a few ADVENT pods, and let nature take its course.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do upgrades to my Sharpshooter's sniper rifle apply to his Pistol too? Or can you just not upgrade that?

Pistols only benefit from ammo, not weapon attachments.

e: Only as in "only". Fanning a sectopod with AP ammo is hilarious!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Coolguye posted:

When you start the game in debug mode there's a 'Tactical' button that will drop you into the Battlescape. You can then use console commands to do whatever you wish from there.

My basic idea is to spawn some flashbangs for people, then spawn a few ADVENT pods, and let nature take its course.

Oh good, I was hoping it was something this simple.

I'm going to be attempting to create a few experimental item mods this evening, I'll probably start with a shield vest (experimental armor, takes up a utility slot) and some sort of heavy/powered weapon to get used to the engine.

I've already gotten a pretty good idea of what I need to do for these, and it doesn't look too hard to add them into the list of possible results for the Experimental item projects, including dropping them into existing saves--there's an entire set of functions for that, in fact.

New soldier classes with new abilities are a lot more work, but again, I can see how to do most of the stuff in a fairly straightforward manner, it's just that some class abilities are going to be a lot more difficult to implement than others.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 9, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My sniper is a Colonel. His last name is Sanders :haw:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
drat the levels in this game are so good.

I've been playing so many of these infiltration missions, have to destroy this or rescue these civvies, I'm in dense urban areas with cyber cars and poo poo,

Just finally got a mission where there's no time limit, we're out in the boonies in the snow and trees, and we're just hunting down aliens at our leisure, like good old' X-COM days.

And wow, it just like, really caught up with me at once how good this game is, how much variety there is.

I do kinda miss shooting down UFOs and investigating their crashed innards, but I don't miss the old interception minigame at ALL.
Also having a single HQ ship that flies around and not launching multiple skyrangers at a time keeps everything dramatically simpler. But you still have to rotate your squads because of injuries.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

You can't mod the pistol, which is compensated for somewhat by Pistol skills being hilariously OP.

Ammo does modify the pistol though. Get ammo. Right now.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Someone on reddit claiming flashbangs are bugged

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/44xaj2/psa_flashbangs_are_bugged/

He says they subtract (-50) aim and crit, meaning they just add 50 aim and crit.

Anyone finding themselves getting hit thru hard cover - and crit - an awful lot by flashbanged enemies?

I assumed it was confirmation bias but I have gotten my poo poo torn up by flashbanged troopers and sectoids behind decent cover more times than I care to count.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

:siren: So apparently, when you finish a mission and you're returning to avenger, pressing CAPS LOCK makes you load instantly. :siren:

Tested it, worked like 90% of the time, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Zaphod42 posted:

I do kinda miss shooting down UFOs and investigating their crashed innards, but I don't miss the old interception minigame at ALL.

Same, that loving 'minigame' is dead and we're better off without it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Oh good, I was hoping it was something this simple.

I'm going to be attempting to create a few experimental item mods this evening, I'll probably start with a shield vest (experimental armor, takes up a utility slot) and some sort of heavy/powered weapon to get used to the engine.

I've already gotten a pretty good idea of what I need to do for these, and it doesn't look too hard to add them into the list of possible results for the Experimental item projects, including dropping them into existing saves--there's an entire set of functions for that, in fact.

New soldier classes with new abilities are a lot more work, but again, I can see how to do most of the stuff in a fairly straightforward manner, it's just that some class abilities are going to be a lot more difficult to implement than others.

The real difficulty is if you want to add something with more logical attachments. Like, if you want your shield vest to have an activation procedure to put it back up 4 turns after it goes down, as opposed to simply adding shield to you and when it's gone it's gone. It's totally possible to have weapons and items grant new abilities that link to other scripts, but wiring all that stuff up is not well documented and people don't really understand how to do it that well yet.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also having a single HQ ship that flies around and not launching multiple skyrangers at a time keeps everything dramatically simpler. But you still have to rotate your squads because of injuries.
My big complaint with this is that it is impossible to parallelize anything now, which is something we did trivially in other XCOM games. I understand most of this stuff (it's totally our responsibility to investigate rumors, etc), but jeez laweez, if I drop off supplies for a radio tower in a region, can't the assholes there at least meet me halfway and build the loving thing themselves?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Coolguye posted:

The real difficulty is if you want to add something with more logical attachments. Like, if you want your shield vest to have an activation procedure to put it back up 4 turns after it goes down, as opposed to simply adding shield to you and when it's gone it's gone. It's totally possible to have weapons and items grant new abilities that link to other scripts, but wiring all that stuff up is not well documented and people don't really understand how to do it that well yet.
Oh, absolutely. I have a pretty good idea of how to start (even on adding activated abilities) from my browsing through the game's code last night, but it is going to take plenty of trial-and-error.

Compounding the lack of much documentation is that the IDE doesn't have any sort of intelligent features. Unlike when I was working on Starsector mods and could hook the game's SDK up to IntelliJ and have it be able to auto-complete and auto-suggest, I can't find any such settings in ModBuddy, despite it being a modification of VisualStudio.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

drat the levels in this game are so good.

I've been playing so many of these infiltration missions, have to destroy this or rescue these civvies, I'm in dense urban areas with cyber cars and poo poo,

Just finally got a mission where there's no time limit, we're out in the boonies in the snow and trees, and we're just hunting down aliens at our leisure, like good old' X-COM days.

And wow, it just like, really caught up with me at once how good this game is, how much variety there is.

There is a downed UFO mission that can pop. I think it is a alternate/rare version of the Supply Raid mission.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

theBeaz posted:

Can anyone provide some advice on these missions? I'm apparently missing something here. I don't recall terror missions being nearly this frustrating (though they sucked too).

Just keep moving and activating pods, most of the time that pod will ignore civilians and go for you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Oh, absolutely. I have a pretty good idea of how to start (even on adding activated abilities) from my browsing through the game's code last night, but it is going to take plenty of trial-and-error.

Compounding the lack of much documentation is that the IDE doesn't have any sort of intelligent features. Unlike when I was working on Starsector mods and could hook the game's SDK up to IntelliJ and have it be able to auto-complete and auto-suggest, I can't find any such settings in ModBuddy, despite it being a modification of VisualStudio.

Yeah, I work with VS for my day job, and holy gently caress am I missing Resharper. Even beyond that, not being able to hit F12 and go to something's declaration makes me want to hang myself.

Feel free to add me on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/HieronomousCoolguy/) if you'd like to chat about modding stuff, though. Iron Rose and I already had one good code jam last weekend, and I'd definitely be interested if you figured out how to wire up activated abilities on items - my first mod is to be a remote-detonated explosive (just two grenades taped together with a phone trigger) and while I have the skeleton set up, modifying the grenade behavior is giving me trouble right now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tenzarin posted:

Just keep moving and activating pods, most of the time that pod will ignore civilians and go for you.

This. Ignore civilians because they distract you from killing aliens and of course can always pop as a Faceless. Now, that said, be sure that when you think you are wrapping the aliens up that you have a plan for dealing with the Faceless on the map that are guaranteed to emerge as soon as they die AND get an immediate turn. Overwatch the heck out of those goopy bastards.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just had my first genuinely bullshit map generation. It was a Retaliation and every single civilian had spawned in the same cluster right by all four enemy groups, and were making no attempt to escape. On top of this they were over a massive hill that took several turns to get around, even with dashing. Ugh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, that makes me think that having a secondary ship that you can send out just to scan/make contact/build relays would be nice. Obviously it would have to be slower, but it would help with being interrupted whenever you try to do any of the time killing stuff on the geoscape.

That would obviously take some serious effort to mod, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 9, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

You know, that makes me think that having a secondary ship that you can send out just to scan/make contact/build relays would be nice. Obviously it would have to be slower, but it would help with being interrupted whenever you try to do any of the time killing stuff on the geoscape.

Countdowns on when certain missions expire would be an even lower impact change. I've left a lot of things with only 12 hours remaining because a supply raid or a guerrilla action will show up, and I'm terrified that if I ignore it for those 12-24 hours, I'll miss my window.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just had an idea for a new class, call it the 'rogue agent' or 'spy' or 'assassin' or 'infiltrator'

Has the ability to spend an entire turn in order to go back into concealment after losing concealment. Only applies to this unit, the rest of your squad does not gain concealment.

Like a ranger on steroids. But then to balance them they wouldn't be able to use shotguns and wouldn't have swords. Maybe go even further and restrict them to pistols and make them into the dual-wielding pistol class. Could be useful for scouting out ahead once you've already run into one pack of enemies, but its not like you can afford to burn tons of turns in most cases so you couldn't always wait for it.

I dunno, would have to play around with the balance and the other abilities (based around being concealed) but its a thought.

LordNat posted:

There is a downed UFO mission that can pop. I think it is a alternate/rare version of the Supply Raid mission.

Awesome, glad to hear it.

Coolguye posted:

Countdowns on when certain missions expire would be an even lower impact change. I've left a lot of things with only 12 hours remaining because a supply raid or a guerrilla action will show up, and I'm terrified that if I ignore it for those 12-24 hours, I'll miss my window.

Yeah I don't need a second ship because any progress you get on something stays, but knowing deadlines on events would be really useful.

I think in some cases it tells you but not in all cases?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's... I mean it's not really being interrupted. The whole thing is a time management minigame, that's the entire point. Remove that pressure and the strategic layer pressure evaporates.

I'll take that any day over the shittacular air combat 'game' in XC1/XCog.

There's a hacking event that can cut scan times by 50% for awhile, dunno how common it is.

Speaking of hacking... After several successful hacks with one of my poo poo tier hackers, he didn't gain +5 hacking ever, so I dunno if it's a random event or what. The +20 hacking seems to be very rare and often difficult to get.

I don't like the way hacking is set up at all, to get the most from it you need to bring a specialist (at least) to every mission in case they have hackable towers, and then be sure to spend time with the last enemy alive to go around and attempt hacks on everything when failing won't completely loving ruin your day.

The penalties are just way too insanely harsh early on to risk them. Even stunning robits can be really dangerous if your dude is a hacking idiot (which half of mine are).

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, I work with VS for my day job, and holy gently caress am I missing Resharper. Even beyond that, not being able to hit F12 and go to something's declaration makes me want to hang myself.

Feel free to add me on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/HieronomousCoolguy/) if you'd like to chat about modding stuff, though. Iron Rose and I already had one good code jam last weekend, and I'd definitely be interested if you figured out how to wire up activated abilities on items - my first mod is to be a remote-detonated explosive (just two grenades taped together with a phone trigger) and while I have the skeleton set up, modifying the grenade behavior is giving me trouble right now.

Cool, adding you. My day job is as a software qa engineer and I test other people's code all day so I've gotten pretty good at following through badly documented code to figure out what/why things are happening. I mostly use Python for my own coding these days but this Unreal script doesn't look too hard, looks similar to Java/C# like I mentioned earlier. (I don't want to say C++ even though that's probably true because I haven't touched C++ in 15 years)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

victrix posted:

It's... I mean it's not really being interrupted. The whole thing is a time management minigame, that's the entire point. Remove that pressure and the strategic layer pressure evaporates.
Flight times can get extreme, and there's a penalty for just landing at a rumor location, too. No, it's not interrupting your progress, but picking up and leaving for a mission that's even just 4-6 hours away will end up setting you back over a day in useless flying and landing.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Maybe the middle ground is to lower the maximum days required for random bullshit by one? I mean, half a day to fly somewhere, 6 days to set up comms, half a day to fly back, with constant. goddamn. interruptions starts to get old real fast

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
No, adding what amounts to a perma-conceal soldier is a bad idea. Ambushing wins basically every encounter and would trivialize the game.
At the same site, it's fair to assume that the other pods heard the dozen grenades and 500 bullets you used to kill their buddies.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Lol, VIP randomly activates from across the map along with a pod and is gibbed before I even get a turn. Lol.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Skittering through the .INI's and being very thankful for my time in Minecraft Modding to help this all make sense. One of the things I cant find is increasing the chance for AWC's free perk. Anyone know where it is?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

AlternateAccount posted:

No, adding what amounts to a perma-conceal soldier is a bad idea. Ambushing wins basically every encounter and would trivialize the game.
At the same site, it's fair to assume that the other pods heard the dozen grenades and 500 bullets you used to kill their buddies.

It would be really cool if explosive use attracted pods or had a 10% chance to call down a reinforcement flare or something, there should probably be a downside to the dominant strategy of "literally level an entire building to kill one sectoid"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
is this two solar panels duct taped to a car?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Regarding getting interrupted, there's also a bug where if you are scanning something that has a scan countdown and cancel to go scan something else, you lose progress on your various projects in your base - research, proving grounds, I think even soldier heal rates. I haven't fully explored it, but I've experienced it enough to know there's an issue there. I know the supply drop countdown does NOT get effected, but I think everything else does.

Try scanning a resistance point of interest for a couple days, check your tech progress, then cancel and go scan something else. When you arrive at the new destination, your progress will go back up. I think it loses the progress it made while you were scanning, so 3 days of scanning = 3 days of lost progress.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
So Xcom2 doesn't support 360 controllers until maybe a date TBA, but it does currently support the Steam controller? And the controller is discounted if you buy/have bought Xcom2? And Xcom2 is only sold on Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

So I am like 6-7 hours into the game and the avenger just had its engines disabled by a ufo (which I did not see on the world map :/) and I'm doing a base defence now and this seems impossible since if I move forward I activate like 2 berserkers and MECs is this meant to be this early? It seems pretty hard out of nowhere.