Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Piquai Souban posted:

Today's RJVP sure was something.
I'm sure glad I took this inside joke at face value and, having never listened to this show, grabbed it as my first ep. Not a waste of 3 minutes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

WoG posted:

I'm sure glad I took this inside joke at face value and, having never listened to this show, grabbed it as my first ep. Not a waste of 3 minutes at all.

You missed the good part then.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Sandweed posted:

New Walking the Room is out and it's good.

They didn't catch the venue messing up the intro music repeatedly including playing an old squarespace ad from them. It was very walking the room

red19fire
May 26, 2010

WoG posted:

I will attempt to explain the joke:

The NFL only allows the RJVP to play music it already owns in its library, and the 3 songs in this episode are endless loops of some of the worst ones. Although I do like Goodell's xylophone solo.

I hope someday they release the parts that get cut out every week. Jeselnik balling too hard is so good.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
loving Gabrus said that Carl Weathers has an Uzi in Predator. That poser fatass hasn't even seen the movie he claims to love.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gargamel Gibson posted:

loving Gabrus said that Carl Weathers has an Uzi in Predator. That poser fatass hasn't even seen the movie he claims to love.

Was Gabrus the one who referenced a "curved magazine" or something on the last High and Mighty when talking about an UZI? Maybe it was one of the other guys. But I was triggered too. No pun intended.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Was there ever a Last Podcast on the Left thread?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
No but I'd be happy to bitch about the guy on that show with the crazy radio announcer voice and no sense of comedic timing

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I've been going through the show the past few weeks and he's definitely the low point. I think Henry Zebrowski is funny enough to carry the show. That and the spooky murder stuff.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Agreed, i wish it was Henry and the guy who usually tells the narrative of what happened. That'd make it much more like the morbid Dollop I was hoping it'd be

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
One thing I can say for Ben is that he seems to be the only one that doesn't kinda believe in magic, which probably helps to balance it a bit. But yeah, he should lay out more and just play the straight man.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Drunkboxer posted:

Was there ever a Last Podcast on the Left thread?

LPotL is my problematic fave. I love all the guys, Ben works for me because he is the more rational one to Henry and Marcus.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Fitzdog Radio had a good interview with Dane Cook. Not saying I like Dane Cook in fact I find him somewhat repulsive, it was just compelling in that you get a good sense of what kind of dude he is.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Part of me wants to see Hillary Clinton lose the nomination to Sanders, just so we can hear the epic meltdown that Greg Proops would have. He might be more pro-Hillary than Hillary.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Mst3kmann posted:

Part of me wants to see Hillary Clinton lose the nomination to Sanders, just so we can hear the epic meltdown that Greg Proops would have. He might be more pro-Hillary than Hillary.

I haven't listened to his show in months, is it still just him reeling off audience gifts for an hour and then angrily stumping for HRC?

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I haven't listened to his show in months, is it still just him reeling off audience gifts for an hour and then angrily stumping for HRC?

I haven't been listening as much lately, but yes, more or less. There are still parts of it that I enjoy listening to, and I've never been bothered by The Boring Preachy Part, but I totally get where you're coming from.

I'd suggest listening to an episode just to see how far gone he's become about Hillary. He's definitely the type of supporter that is completely unwilling to accept that there are legitimate criticisms about her, and if you don't like her it's because you're a misogynist. I get that he's a comedian and he'll exaggerate for effect, but his hyper-defensiveness seems quite genuine.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've been getting into this podcast recently. It's a UK based podcast interviewing mostly UK/NA and I've really enjoyed it. It's more focussed on actual comedy than the more general ones. I really like it. The latest episode is jimmy carr if you want too try one out.

http://www.comedianscomedian.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/comedians-comedian-podcast/id513734888?mt=2

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Well, I know what I'll be listening to on my commute this morning.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Have any of the past 6 months or so worth of Todd Glass Show worth listening to? I was a huge fan but eventually had to stop just because I couldn't listen to 45 minutes of hotel sheet and spanking discussions. Hoping there's at least a few standout ones from recent months.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'd just look for the guests you like. I think Daniel Kinno has been on once or twice, and so has Danny Lobell.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The first third of this weeks LPOTL is about Elliot Rodger's manifesto. I feel like there's a lot more funny/frustration in that thing that they didn't touch on but it was still pretty good.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I don't expect most people to know the difference between an Uzi and an H&K MP5. That's really something only somebody obsessed with guns would care about. To everyone else it's just a machine gun or whatever.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've played enough video games to know the difference :colbert:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah a few years ago it occurred to me to check to see if the P90 from Goldeneye is an actual gun. Well check yourself meathead jocks, video games are an empire now and create their own reality.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Where can I get an energy sword.

Edit: Whoops sorry thought this was chat thread.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Greg Proop's farewell address to Ted Cruz had me laughing harder than I have in a week. http://smartest.libsyn.com/cruises
35 minutes in, about

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

mostly

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Cael posted:

Have any of the past 6 months or so worth of Todd Glass Show worth listening to? I was a huge fan but eventually had to stop just because I couldn't listen to 45 minutes of hotel sheet and spanking discussions. Hoping there's at least a few standout ones from recent months.
He moved out of Black Horse Motors three months ago and built himself a studio in his barn (I think). The first episodes in the new location are Jen Kirkman & Jake Fogelnest, followed by a two-parter with just Jake. I remember those being good.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Illinois Smith posted:

He moved out of Black Horse Motors three months ago and built himself a studio in his barn (I think). The first episodes in the new location are Jen Kirkman & Jake Fogelnest, followed by a two-parter with just Jake. I remember those being good.

Rory is on again today, but I'm saving it for my boring car ride tonight.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The newest Mohr Stories is pretty terrible.

John Ziegler is a guy who believes that Sandusky and Paterno were wrongfully accused.
I've listened to about an hour and a half of it and so far the evidence he has is the following:

A victim's mom is lovely.
A kid changed his story
The prosecutors told a kid that other kids had been molested to get him to tell his story
Mike McQueery got the date wrong.
Franco Harris thinks Paterno is a good guy.

To his credit, Mohr does a great job of trying to keep him on track, keeping him from sounding like a complete nut about the conspiracies and such, and some of his points do make sense, but the guy has to be the most unlikable guy I've ever heard interviewed, and he's way more confident that he's right than he is at making a compelling argument.

There's a lot of "That's not the way a victim would act" or "they were obviously trying to..." but it's pretty scant on the damning evidence that would really convince me that he's on to something. He also keeps pointing out how much of a victim that he is, about how he's ruined his marriage and people don't like him. I doubt that has a lot to do with the case though.

If you're really interested in the case, I suppose it's worth a listen, but I wouldn't recommend it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 17, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AFewBricksShy posted:

The newest Mohr Stories is pretty terrible.

John Ziegler is a guy who believes that Sandusky and Paterno were wrongfully accused.

For a good ten seconds, I was wondering how he crawled out of the grave. (Ron Ziegler was a Nixon sidekick who died in 2003.) :blush:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

prefect posted:

For a good ten seconds, I was wondering how he crawled out of the grave. (Ron Ziegler was a Nixon sidekick who died in 2003.) :blush:

AFewBricksShy posted:

I wish he would crawl into the grave. And die.

Joey Diaz's podcast has a great interview with Andrew Dice Clay, but also features the world's least essential podcast guest, Eleanor Kerrigan. I also recommend listening to both Comedy Store podcasts with John Caparulo for a really interesting Diaz backstory on what a dickhead bully he is in general.

E: VVV It's a :can:, but the only people who think there's a WM3 element are Penn State football fans. Back in the 90's Paterno himself caught Sandusky loving a kid in the wrestling practice room. His loving response was to take away Sandusky's keys to the wrestling room.

My hometown had 2 child molester priests, one in the early 80's, and a different one again in the mid 90's. Same thing with Sandusky, there's parts of the town that denied and blamed mass hysteria on the kids, or tried to prove one of the 7 or 9 was lying so therefore all of them must be lying. It's just an unbelievable thing.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 19, 2016

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

red19fire posted:

I wish he would crawl into the grave. And die.

I finished the interview, and the only other evidence that he brought up was that Paterno said under oath that McQueery told him he saw something of a sexual nature happen between them because he was old and he trusted McQueery.

Also the guys that were molested in the 70's are only coming out now because they are jealous that they can't get in on the payouts.

So no smoking gun. There's a decent chance that he's right about one or 2 of the victims embellishing his story, but goddamn is he an unlikable twat.

He said he has 3+ hours of an interview that he taped with Sandusky. Mohr told him "release the tapes, do it as a podcast, release 20 minutes a week" and the guy just sort of gets flustered and talks about how no one else believes him.

I have to reiterate at how impressed I am at Mohr keeping him on track and keeping him to just stating the facts rather than his opinions about how people should have behaved in that situation. Mohr closes the interview by saying that he's not sure Sandusky is innocent, nor that Paterno was blameless, but he at least has questions. It was a better statement than earlier when he compared it to the West Memphis 3 case. He also pretty much told the guy that maybe he's not the best guy to be speaking the viewpoint because he's abrasive and takes it so personally, which made me laugh because the entire interview I had been thinking the same thing.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 18, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So I've been listening to Judge John Hodgman for a while, and he's usually pretty good at finding compromise, but this latest ruling made me lose a huge amount of respect for him. (If there's a different thread to talk about JJH instead of this one, let me know.)

The situation is that a couple came on the podcast about an activity that they sometimes perform together and they both enjoy while mutually consenting, but that one partner insists on doing alone every night before bed and disturbing the other's sleep. The plaintiff asked for this activity to occur in another room. The ruling was that yes, the activity must occur in another room, but that both partners must do this activity every night regardless of their mood or interest or consent. The judge further asserted that it would be fun to do this every night even when the plaintiff had no interest and just wanted to sleep.

Yeah, I described that in an intentionally provocative way, but it was really hosed up how obvious it was that the ruling was completely unacceptable to the plaintiff and will not be followed.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
As a guy whoi'll never listen to another epi of JJH, I'm just going to think he endorsed marital rape

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's not rape if it's court ordered?

What a strange podcast.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Hodgman definitely doesn't have a perfect track record on verdicts. Sometimes he says things that sound wise or interesting, but other times I he just says stuff that aligns with his personal biases or sounds provocative/funny. Two that stick out to me:
  • His weird insistence that humans are designed to sleep alone and that couples who can successfully sleep together are tricksters or lies
  • The couple he insisted buy tickets to a second showing of Hamilton (a pretty hard/expensive thing to get if you're not a John Hodgman type) because the offending member of the couple didn't wear glasses the first time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hodgman is a nice guy but I think he's completely forgotten that not everyone is a twee well off white guy.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hodgman is a nice guy but I think he's completely forgotten that not everyone is a twee well off white guy.

My best guess is that this would be how his audience would also describe themselves, then promptly forget that they had done so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My only real beef with Hodgeman is his weird determination that it's bad to live together before you are married. Not for moral reasons, but because you're taking on all the "bad" parts of marriage without having the legal security that comes with it.

That's pretty asinine and I think learning what your partner is like when you're not just doing fun stuff and going on dates is extremely important in learning your compatibility before marriage.

I've known a few couples that saved themselves from a potentially expensive divorce after they learned they didn't live well together.

Also yeah, gotta agree his decision on that last case was wrong. Just to clear up what he was forcing the guy to do: the lady was an actress who learns her lines better by reciting them out loud to herself before she sleeps. Hodgeman's decision was that her boyfriend has to run lines with her in a different room every night instead before bed.

• Locked thread