Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

Oh, apparently Liam said FF Tactics Advance is better than FFT.

Yeah Liam is right, thanks for the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FFTA was fun and good and I never played FFT, but all the people who have claimed it's so much better because its edgy and dark make me not want to play it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The games get better as the stories get worse.

Inb4 "waaaah law cards"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

The games get better as the stories get worse.

Inb4 "waaaah law cards"

The law system is garbage yes but it's not that big of a deal. Aside from that and game speed, I just fail to see almost any improvements in FFTA over the original. Most of the changes are sidegrades at best.

The biggest problem in FFTA is the difficulty. It's so easy that you would have to braindead to have any challenge whatsoever. That's a pretty big problem in a SRPG.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah as opposed to the incredible difficulty of FFT oh wait

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Yeah as opposed to the incredible difficulty of FFT oh wait

It's about a hundred times harder than FFTA, that's for sure.

I'm not saying that a game needs to be ball bustingly hard or even difficult. FFTA just doesn't require any thought whatsoever. I guess the difficulty is alright for literal children.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 9, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Andrast posted:

It's about a hundred times harder than FFTA, that's for sure.

No, no it isn't, it's broken to the extreme. The ONLY "hard" part is Wiegraf and that's because that's just unfair, but if course that gets you exactly once, then every other time you make Ramza basically invincible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

No, no it isn't, it's broken to the extreme. The ONLY "hard" part is Wiegraf and that's because that's just unfair, but if course that gets you exactly once, then every other time you make Ramza basically invincible.

Yes it is and FFTA is just as broken.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean all 3 are busted of course but it takes more work for each one. Nothing in Advance or A2 is as ludicrous as calculators for example.

E: also good lord this really is the Pat and Woolie Don't Know Strategy Games hour, god drat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I mean all 3 are busted of course but it takes more work for each one. Nothing in Advance or A2 is as ludicrous as calculators for example.

I agree with Calculators/aritchmeticians being broken as gently caress. It does take a bit of work to set one up though and Viera Assassin's aren't much worse.

I would just say that you need to use the broken combos in FFT to get to the same difficulty that FFTA is at the baseline without breaking anything.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 9, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So folks what is your favorite friendcast?

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Grouchio posted:

So folks what is your favorite friendcast?

They all blend together so that's super tricky, and I've seen every one. Most recently thought it's the one in which Matt talks about how Miyazaki hates anime and his son. He hates Goro.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Yeah Liam is right, thanks for the update.
Marche did nothing wrong.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HGH posted:

Marche did nothing wrong.

uunironically this

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lol I forgot about Woolie and Liam getting all hyped up for that lovely looking Uppers game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

Lol I forgot about Woolie and Liam getting all hyped up for that lovely looking Uppers game.

This ism't at all surprising. Liam loves Senran Kagura and Woolie marks out for any Japan-ized urban fighting thing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 9, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"It already sucks that the only time to go back to is the medieval period because that's when exciting things happened, I wish there was stuff before and after that, but that's where our lore is."

Woolie

WOOLIE

E: Liam's whole "I hate games that are X culture" line is also fairly insane

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 9, 2016

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So how does Pat sleep like that when he's not alone? He has a girlfriend. Do they sleep in different beds?

That's Pat's secret! He's angry sexually frustrated all the time! Ah the labors of being similar to a toilet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"We want srpgs that do more than attack per turn"

*wants more ff tactics*

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodyle posted:

"It already sucks that the only time to go back to is the medieval period because that's when exciting things happened, I wish there was stuff before and after that, but that's where our lore is."

Woolie

WOOLIE

E: Liam's whole "I hate games that are X culture" line is also fairly insane

Don't tell him about the roaming Vikings, Feudal Japan, Genghis Khan, Roman Empire, Alexander, or I guess the other dozens of examples at the top of my head.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

cmykjester posted:

Don't tell him about the roaming Vikings, Feudal Japan, Genghis Khan, Roman Empire, Alexander, or I guess the other dozens of examples at the top of my head.

"General Himmler the Desert Tiger" - Woolie Madden, 2016.
I don't think history is his strongest subject.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tae posted:

*wants more ff tactics*

yeah uh did he really put darkest dungeon in that list

DD is mostly about planning strategy in the midst of a fight, not taking player/enemy turns, a lot of it is back-and-forth and trying to account for that.

Like knowing that one enemy is fast, so you gotta nail him down before he can do his super obnoxious bullshit(goblet skeletons, those FUCKS), or that other guys are slow and you can do some healing or patching up before finishing them off since they'll be going last, etc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

*wants more ff tactics*

I want SRPGS that do more than attack per turn. I also want more FF tactics.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 9, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I used to have that same problem where I thought I liked SRPGs and kept buying them but really only liked Tactics Ogre and FFT.

And I haven't even bothered to play TO anytime recently so I just don't actually care I guess.

Like I think the only ones I've beaten are FFT and the first two Arc the Lad games, the latter of which I feel shouldn't even count since they're so simple.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

TheRealestMatt posted:

Anyone know any good, knowledgeable LP's of CV: Rondo of Blood? The original version, and not the PSP remake.

The PSP remake has the original game inside of it, all I did was download a save from gamefaqs and put it in the right folder and bam, original rondo of blood. I don't remember the exact details but they can easily be googled.

I did this on a PSP emulator a few months back, but it emulated terribly. I'm sure it would work perfectly on a regular PSP

Mesothelioma fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 9, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Darkest Dungeon isn't really a SRPG. It owes a lot more to the old first person dungeon crawlers of yore.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Surprised rondo ran poorly for you, I didn't have any trouble emulating the version of symphony of the night in psp rondo.

Tg16 version is easy to emulate but the English patch is kind of spotty

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Captain Invictus posted:

(goblet skeletons, those FUCKS)

Hey buddy you look pretty calm, now that just won't do, have some TEMPTING UNKNOWN LIQUID! :unsmigghh:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
woolie pained by the loss of a friend whose face he's long forgotten; picks up the Yoke of Retribution in order to suffer for his art. This is the true form of the Reboot LP.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Justice Sloth posted:

i'm thoroughly enjoying Woolie VS Reboot, best titlecard they've ever had and its genuinely entertaining to listen to him solo; even without knowing anything about reboot.

as much as I enjoyed Matt's QA insight into No More Heroes, I feel like his solo commentary suffers a bit without a jumping off point. Pat's soothing, Bob Ross-esque descent into insanity and Woolie's weirdo islander anecdotes and general weary fatigue fare a bit better on their own.

Oh. Alright. Not sure what this means. What's a jumping off point? I thought testing a game for 6 months is a good jumping off point. It's why I did the LP to begin with, and I thought it made it really unique. Not trying to jump on you, but I literally don't understand the criticism. You can rip the band-aid off and say, "I just prefer Woolie and Pat." which is something I would rather people do, instead of a confusing non-statement.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 9, 2016

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I think Justice Sloth means that you work best when you have someone else to bounce things off of.
That's what I guess, anyway.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

I guess.

Edit: Sorry if I'm cranky, but yeah, yesterday got a few thousand dollars stolen from my account, which is why I couldn't be on the podcast yesterday as I had to go to bank to sort it all out, not that anyone probably missed me.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 9, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The people who talk best alone are also usually the most insane

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

The people who talk best alone are also usually the most insane

Pat is my spirit animal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

I think Justice Sloth means that you work best when you have someone else to bounce things off of.
That's what I guess, anyway.

That's pretty where I'm at. I just don't like watching solo videos, however good they might be.

The single Pat solo video was an exception though. His insanity is fascinating.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Andrast posted:

That's pretty where I'm at. I just don't like watching solo videos, however good they might be.

The single Pat solo video was an exception though. His insanity is fascinating.

Yeah. Of course it was.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I thought that the testing insights in NMH was really interesting

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

The single Pat solo video was an exception though.

Yeah, that's sorta me too, when it comes to live commentary stuff (The dumb lists/travel videos/Why I Like The Thing are great tho). It's just that it's a lot harder to be interesting by yourself while also playing a game, IMHO. NMH and Expand Dong weren't bad tho, don't take me wrong. DKC especially was a cool chill series to watch during a slow work day.

Pat's solo stuff being entertaining isn't at all that he talks good or was compelling, it's more the opposite, it's this slow-motion trainwreck and everything's BURNING. Because he's crazy. what a mysterious Patrício.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please do not make fun of Pat, he's able to kill a yak from 200 yards away with mind bullets.