Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee6eU_148uI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Blasphemer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1EIUP8tvbE

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mad Monk posted:

For a Commodore 64 game, EA Adventure Construction Set was a nice program, I spent a LOT of time with it.

That's awesome, never knew this was on C64. I was just thinking about this the other day, I remember being obsessed with it on my friend's IBM PC (back when we called them that :corsair:)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ReverendFaux posted:

I made more than one Vacation Bible School banner with rasterbator and people thought I owned a drat print studio at 12.

Presumably you wouldn't have been able to tell them what you used even if you'd wanted to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Data Graham posted:

Presumably you wouldn't have been able to tell them what you used even if you'd wanted to.

"Oh, how did you do this wonderful printout?"
"Oh, just rasterbated all weekend, really."
:stare:

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

AbbadonOfHell posted:

It came with a cloth map too, hell if I know where it is right off though.

Did it? I bought the fully loaded collectors edition that had a tshirt, fishermans hat(wtf?!) and soundtrack. As far as I recall it was a nice paper map. Now I feel jipped.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Keith Atherton posted:

Also an issue with prerelease screenshots of Duke Nukem Forever in 2000 or so before they scrapped everything.

DNF was already on the cover of PC Gamer in 1997, when it was still based on the Quake engine before they scrapped everything for the first time.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

I was always kinda partial to cartoon theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdiEP_2jF7Y

Def not as good as the Rockapella theme though, the cartoon was kinda decent from what I remember. Animation is pretty nice on it for something from the mid 90's. (Bad CG excluded)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao I looked up some old q1 and ut99 frag videos and the background music is old deftones all the way down

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I was pretty irritated when I found out the old Morrowind game was supposed to come with a paper fold out map to help you along. I had to just wing it and cold-explore every inch on the in game one. Still, despite playing an old rear end game long after it's been out, I actually really enjoyed it.

Do games these days ever have things like that, physical maps n' crap anymore?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wicker Man posted:

Sure, but a lot of times it's in a special edition. GTA5 comes to mind and Witcher 3 (I think). There are others.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wicker Man posted:

I was pretty irritated when I found out the old Morrowind game was supposed to come with a paper fold out map to help you along. I had to just wing it and cold-explore every inch on the in game one. Still, despite playing an old rear end game long after it's been out, I actually really enjoyed it.

The boxed version of Wasteland 2 did.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Wicker Man posted:

in terms of games i bought retail copies of that i know for sure came with them, Mafia II, GTA IV, and GTA V all came with foldout maps of the game. they have a map on one side and a game poster on the other. they all hang in the corner of my room with all the gaming poo poo right now and look pretty cool next to each other

Mafia II and GTA IV are not new but the standard versions came with maps so i mean hey it works

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wicker Man posted:

The coolest thing about that map was it was actually super accurate, down to the placement of rocks and trees and poo poo. It wasn't like typical add-on cloth maps, which just represented "ye olde kingdom" and vaguely represented the rough areas each zone occupied. You could look at the Morrowind map and go "Okay, take a left at the rock pillar, and a right where these two big trees are, and in the game you'd see the exact same features where they appeared on the map.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The coolest thing about that map was it was actually super accurate, down to the placement of rocks and trees and poo poo. It wasn't like typical add-on cloth maps, which just represented "ye olde kingdom" and vaguely represented the rough areas each zone occupied. You could look at the Morrowind map and go "Okay, take a left at the rock pillar, and a right where these two big trees are, and in the game you'd see the exact same features where they appeared on the map.

Morrowind kicked all sorts of rear end - the directions you got usually had a similar sort of hide and seek to them. Usually you got a "it's a ring in a pond around a waterfall, go north." and you'd spend a half hour walking there and fighting monsters that could ruin your day, and the next half hour almost drowning or quaffing potions until you found that ring, damnit.

And damnit fast travel in my day meant you downed a bottle of "jump crazy high Fortify Acrobatics" and then mashed a float potion hotkey when you neared the ground again.

But for real those maps kicked rear end, and were ALWAYS worth paying for. I always viewed PC game boxes as the kind of vinyl record of gaming. Those things were always awesome big boxes full of goodies.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

thathonkey posted:

this was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid. it combined three of my favorite things at that age:

* star wars related...
* pc game...
* that's a first person shooter!

which reminds me the first thing that i ever purchased over the internet was related to this game. there was a level editor somebody had made but they were charging a somewhat low price for it. I think $20 in 1990s money (dunno why I bothered saying that that's only like $30 today). i finally convinced my dad to let me use his credit card to buy it and the next few months of my life were heaven. i was making my own levels and even assets. 2d level editors were a breeze to use.

i remember later on a 3d successor to this game came out that was in 3d and had lightsabers and poo poo. I tried to learn the level editor for it. i opened it up once, got really overwhelmed, and gave up then and there...

I went through the same exact thought process when this game came out. It was really fun. I remember nearly making GBS threads my pants when the first super soldier thing came at me with it's big, shiny skeleton body and sabre.

The sequel you are referring to was Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2). I had the demo installed on one of the demo machines at the computer repair place I worked at, and would spend a lot of spare time trying to just complete the demo level.

I eventually bought the full version that came with a free expansion, Mysteries of the Sith. The add-on story line was like a whole new game. They updated the game engine a bit, and wrote an entirely new story where you got to play as Mara Jade.

Both the sequel and the expansion were loads of fun. The first installment had FMV cutscenes with digital effects that were obviously done on the cheap (for Lucasarts), but the game was good fun. The add-on has you going through some ancient Jedi temple or something, and the atmosphere is totally creepy. Of course, I got stuck there for ages... playing til the wee hours of the night, in the dark, surrounded by ghostly, creepy sounds while walking through dark hallways.

I need to revisit those games some time. I bet they haven't aged well.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mad Monk posted:

For a Commodore 64 game, EA Adventure Construction Set was a nice program, I spent a LOT of time with it.

Had this for the Apple and oh god it was the best timekiller ever. People talkin bout making DOOM levels based on their school, I made ACS games based on mine. Aliens had taken over and disguised themselves as the teachers and kids I hated, my friends were NPCs who gave you weapons and healed you and stuff. Pretty sure it would've earned me more than a few sessions with the school counselor.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Tumble posted:

Morrowind kicked all sorts of rear end - the directions you got usually had a similar sort of hide and seek to them. Usually you got a "it's a ring in a pond around a waterfall, go north." and you'd spend a half hour walking there and fighting monsters that could ruin your day, and the next half hour almost drowning or quaffing potions until you found that ring, damnit.

And damnit fast travel in my day meant you downed a bottle of "jump crazy high Fortify Acrobatics" and then mashed a float potion hotkey when you neared the ground again.

But for real those maps kicked rear end, and were ALWAYS worth paying for. I always viewed PC game boxes as the kind of vinyl record of gaming. Those things were always awesome big boxes full of goodies.

Nowadays on the other hand... I think the latest metal gear solid not only didn't include any goodies, it didn't even have a full installer. Just Steam.

No Internet? gently caress. You.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Keith Atherton posted:

What about retail software stores? I remember going to Egghead Software to buy boxed copies of games.

Yeah I've been meaning to post this, and this picture from someone on SimHQ forums I think, which kinda reminds me of them:

quote:

I have a bunch of old games in my office bookshelf:

Same, but some sims like above, and old copies of Windows and apps and stuff. I think at some level I want to recreate a software store in my house.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This appears to be from the fabled Museum of Virginity.

CaptainSarcastic has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Feb 10, 2016

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

And for my next submission:

It seemed good to me so long as you didn't mind admins occasionally doing dragon roleplaying, broadcast to everyone on the network sometimes I think :barf:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to post this, and this picture from someone on SimHQ forums I think, which kinda reminds me of them:

Same, but some sims like above, and old copies of Windows and apps and stuff. I think at some level I want to recreate a software store in my house.

what is in that big ace combat box, i apparently can't google for poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's clearly a joystick and throttle pictured on the box.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

pretty sure it's a choo choo train.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can only imagine how large the Anime Exhibit is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

John Big Booty posted:

I can only imagine how large the Anime Exhibit is.

There's a full size giant anime girl that tries to step on you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
simcity was a big hit in the late eighties. you've probably never heard of it

did you know that in 1994 (the same year simcity 2000 was released) interplay released an 'enhanced' cd-rom version of simcity with 256 colors and tons of goofy assed FMV to fill up an entire CD? behold,

your advisors talk poo poo to your face about what a bad mayor you are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoCNNlEOGM&t=96s

bask at a world without the insightful, groundbreaking journalism of cnn or fox news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7FsRpk-lY

observe the extremely bizarre and depressing lives of your citizens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z10tSpgsk_g&t=139s

thanks for stopping by! (real 90's kids please note at :24 the gold-on-green-marble that was used to denote extreme classiness in the early 90's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBBbGDGfqMA

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Buttcoin purse posted:

I have trophy copies of stuff I worked on. Plus a Microsoft 20th anniversary gift bag. They're on top of the bookcase containing my game boxes. Bonus - two iPod and iPhone boxes.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

woodch posted:

I went through the same exact thought process when this game came out. It was really fun. I remember nearly making GBS threads my pants when the first super soldier thing came at me with it's big, shiny skeleton body and sabre.

The sequel you are referring to was Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2). I had the demo installed on one of the demo machines at the computer repair place I worked at, and would spend a lot of spare time trying to just complete the demo level.

I eventually bought the full version that came with a free expansion, Mysteries of the Sith. The add-on story line was like a whole new game. They updated the game engine a bit, and wrote an entirely new story where you got to play as Mara Jade.

Both the sequel and the expansion were loads of fun. The first installment had FMV cutscenes with digital effects that were obviously done on the cheap (for Lucasarts), but the game was good fun. The add-on has you going through some ancient Jedi temple or something, and the atmosphere is totally creepy. Of course, I got stuck there for ages... playing til the wee hours of the night, in the dark, surrounded by ghostly, creepy sounds while walking through dark hallways.

I need to revisit those games some time. I bet they haven't aged well.

The Mysteries of the Sith expansion (or MotS for Zone lobbies) was the reason I got my first 3d card. COLORED LIGHTING!

JK2 and JKA get all the acclaim, and I think that had to do with PC games being somewhat accessible at that point, so more people have it as an early gaming memory.

Dark Forces and Jedi Knight though, those games were groundbreaking. Multilevel maps and aiming up and down in Dark Forces was crazy at the time. And then JK can switch between first person and third person, with the first actual live action light sabers since Return of the Jedi!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Keith Atherton posted:

I have trophy copies of stuff I worked on. Plus a Microsoft 20th anniversary gift bag. They're on top of the bookcase containing my game boxes. Bonus - two iPod and iPhone boxes.

<3 VB (well, you know, for nostalgia's sake, it's not a very nice language) Which version is that?

Is the gift bag a tardis that contains all of those products written on the outside? I saw the YouTube video of the Microsoft archives, I really want to go there and also to the LEGO one. I could probably even handle not touching anything, just looking.

Did FrontPage generate <b><i>bad HTML</b></i> like MS Word did?

Speaking of dev products, did anyone mention Borland products yet? Turbo Pascal, Turbo Basic, Turbo Assembler and Turbo C all deserve some love.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Our marketing manager seriously told me a few weeks ago to change a page on our giant company's website to an under construction page because of some details which are going to change. So I loving did. And I used one of those old geocities UNDER CONSTRUCTION gifs. Nobody even noticed.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wicker Man posted:

Fallout 4 had a giant poster with the level up/perk chart

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

"i wanted to be a pilot, but it turned out i was afraid of heights. and going outside. and girls."

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

here's roberta williams spoiling the ending of her own game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXlt51OgAY&t=1013s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

a medical mystery posted:

here's roberta williams spoiling the ending of her own game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXlt51OgAY&t=1013s

I never caught Computer Chronicles when it originally aired, but holy poo poo, is there a treasure trove of stuff on Youtube. I strongly recommend the IRS/tax episode. I mean, it's not exciting, but if you want to see what could only be describes as a huge headache/clusterfuck, take a look at some of the ways taxes were handled in the past, and how 'computers will solve everything!' (which, unlike a lot of future predictions, was actually 110% true).

Like... I was born in the early 80s, so I 'get' that the world existed and moved along just fine, but it STILL boggles my mind how poo poo got done back in the day. :psyduck:

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015
The CoCo...

The Commodore 64

Still have the original copy I bought in 1984 of this..

Also still have the (un-used) Invisiclues for it.

The PC Pocket Ref
Got it shortly after getting my first IT job in 1989. It has BIOS beep codes, on screen error codes, hard drive info, cable pin outs, DOS commands, Manufacturer phone numbers, video info, modem info, ASCII Codes, Hexadecimal charts. It has it all! I still have it, might even be 1st ed. I need to check it.

CyberStrike on GEnie

MS-DOS with TCP/IP.... May not seem like much now but back in the day booting from a 1.44 floppy and pinging a server or microsoft.com was the shizzle..
You can still experience the power and the glory!! [url="https:////www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Sharing_files_with_DOS"]Read This.[/url]

Overclocking a Slot1 Celeron 300A to 527 Mhz using a giant Alpha heat sink. Basically a heavy copper brick with cooling fins cut into it.

Voodoo II 8MB SLI! Actually had mine hooked up to my first 3D card a Riva TNT. QuakeII and Unreal Tournament Awesomeness.

Badger ,Mushroom, SNAKE!

Army Men "Real Combat, Plastic Men." Still have it!

The Close Combat Series and the old "Microsoft Gaming Zone"

But What I really miss the most is playing the [url="https:////forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/downloads.php"]Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield 1942[/url]... Good Times...
It's still out there but, not only can I not find any servers still running it Battle Field 1942 doesn't run on Windows 7 or 10.. :saddowns:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Man I never had any videogames that came with a bunch of rad extra poo poo :sigh:

The only thing I can think of is Age of Empires 2, which came with a thick rear end book that was 10% game manual and 90% encyclopedia with real-life info about the game's civilizations and their units and technologies.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015
Oh Gawd! I forgot the best internet thing EVA!!!!

Fensler Films

PORKCHOPSANDWICHES!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Ziptar posted:

Oh Gawd! I forgot the best internet thing EVA!!!!

Fensler Films

PORKCHOPSANDWICHES!!!!!

I'm a computaw...