Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
The only MMO company that I've ever seen seem to handle patching and server maintenance with any kind of competence was Rift-release-era Trion so I usually just write off patch days. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAH

musco is posting cartel coin codes on the forum and i actually got one first.. 450 free spacebux!

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
SWTOR is a mixed bag there. Sometimes they have really weird delays, sometimes they beat their ETA by an hour, even with a patch release instead of their usual maintenance.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

How long were the servers up? Some people saying they had time to get a crewskill to 550 and start crafting. Others saying they bought and opened hypercrates (and got 50%+ of the new "chance cubes" in them).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pinkk posted:

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAH

musco is posting cartel coin codes on the forum and i actually got one first.. 450 free spacebux!

Nice! I had the thread open right as he posted and copied the code, but had to log in. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aleth posted:

The only MMO company that I've ever seen seem to handle patching and server maintenance with any kind of competence was Rift-release-era Trion so I usually just write off patch days. :shrug:

If your patches aren't failing every once in a while, you're not adding enough content.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

that thread seems to be melting the forums.

if I reload there are 2 pages at least that a reload doesn't get when I click the last page button.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Telex posted:

that thread seems to be melting the forums.

if I reload there are 2 pages at least that a reload doesn't get when I click the last page button.

That's what happens when 1000's of nerd are clicking F5 as fast as they can to get funbux for a game they can't play right now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ironically the same people who most likely are bitching about how terrible the game is in other threads.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

it would be better if idiots didn't post irrelevant stuff in the thread like "will conquest work this week" or "who is my real dad" or anything else that will never get a response because that's not the place for it.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Telex posted:

"will conquest work this week"
Maybe?

Telex posted:

"who is my real dad"
Darth Vader

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Telex posted:

it would be better if idiots didn't post irrelevant stuff in the thread like "will conquest work this week" or "who is my real dad" or anything else that will never get a response because that's not the place for it.

The correct answer is always "Kylo Ren".

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi
"The Old Republic ‏@SWTOR 6s6 seconds ago
We have isolated the issue and are working on a solution, but have no ETA at this time. More info: http://bit.ly/1T4BKbR "

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

pinkk posted:

"The Old Republic ‏@SWTOR 6s6 seconds ago
We have isolated the issue and are working on a solution, but have no ETA at this time. More info: http://bit.ly/1T4BKbR "

for those still having problems accessing the forums:

quote:

Hey folks,

The team has isolated the issue, which was an unfinished Alliance Alert Mission was available. This Mission could potentially cause serious issues with a character. We are working on a solution, but have no ETA available at this time.

We apologize for the extended downtime. I will continue to pass on updates as I have them.

-eric

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

What is QA.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

What is QA.

Speaking as someone in software development, you have no idea how many bugs actually exist in software. When stuff like this happen people are like "Oh come on, they couldn't catch this in QA????" not realizing that there was a 5 alarm, stay up til midnight to get this cycle out and fix the bug that accidentally deletes your bank vault when you summon Blizz then summon Mako on an even minute.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

What is QA.

The first thing to go when your MMO hits maintenance mode.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

pinkk posted:

Patch installed in about 10-15 min for me and I'm on poopy Time Warner internet.

I ran with a guild last night doing HM DP and we did 4/5 before people had to go. Was pretty fun and much easier than DF. One thing though- I'm playing an Arsenal Merc and was noticing on Star Parse that I'd lose several hundred dps over the course of a fight due to BB not proccing after tracer missile. Sometimes if I throw in a filler and wait a sec before re-slowcasting tracer missile it'll work, but not always. Is there a better method of reliably getting the proc? I'll start off the fight feeling like a champ with 6-7k dps but end with 4500-5k. Any advice? I know the class inside and out at this point but want to sustain better dps. Power Adrenals seem to help more than Crit Adrenals even with the supercrit ability via the set bonus which is weird too (due to BB being the main source of damage?). But even then it's only a few hundred dps boost at most.

Also, I hope I get a cool goat friend to ride around on today.

Not to state the obvious but there's an internal 8 second CD on Tracer proccing BB. If it's an instant Tracer that CD starts at the beginning of the GCD, if it's a hardcast the CD starts at the end of the GCD.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Dunno-Lars posted:

What is QA.

99 little bugs in the code.
99 bugs in the code.
Take one down, patch it around,
127 little bugs in the code...

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi
Ah that makes sense. I'm definitely miscounting then.

Can't wait to get all this story content out of the way so I can go back to beating up my dummy.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Medullah posted:

Speaking as someone in software development, you have no idea how many bugs actually exist in software. When stuff like this happen people are like "Oh come on, they couldn't catch this in QA????" not realizing that there was a 5 alarm, stay up til midnight to get this cycle out and fix the bug that accidentally deletes your bank vault when you summon Blizz then summon Mako on an even minute.

That is 100% true, I have no idea how bad it is. Just annoyed that I didn't get to play this evening :(

Guess it will be fine tomorrow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

That is 100% true, I have no idea how bad it is. Just annoyed that I didn't get to play this evening :(

Guess it will be fine tomorrow.

How do you think I feel? I faked being sick so I could work from home and organize my inventory. :(

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I have zero excitement for the next chapter stuff. The games worst companion ever is a terrible thing to base a story arc on. However all these cool quality of life changes with inventory, that's the stuff worth logging in for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Givin posted:

I have zero excitement for the next chapter stuff. The games worst companion ever is a terrible thing to base a story arc on. However all these cool quality of life changes with inventory, that's the stuff worth logging in for.

We don't know if you have to take her. Maybe you can kill her.

If she talks poo poo to Darth Imperius I'm frying her.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

How do you think I feel? I faked being sick so I could work from home and organize my inventory. :(

You should do like that one dude on the BW forums and ask to be reimbursed for a day's pay since he took the day off to play and couldn't :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Givin posted:

I have zero excitement for the next chapter stuff. The games worst companion ever is a terrible thing to base a story arc on.

Skadge isn't in this chapter. :confused:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

You should do like that one dude on the BW forums and ask to be reimbursed for a day's pay since he took the day off to play and couldn't :v:

Oh I'm still getting paid. And actually working. I just wanted to organize my bays. :D

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's your check for $65, and coupon for 1 free 6 inch sub for lunch or dinner.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Aphrodite posted:

Here's your check for $65, and coupon for 1 free 6 inch sub for lunch or dinner.

being a little generous paying more than fed min wage there aren't you

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Medullah posted:

I actually do QA for a living, and so much this. The software I work on is pretty damned important (it's in the financial industry, and the users are banks). The core code was written almost 10 years ago now, with regular releases 5 times per year, and we pretty regularly find defects that have been in the code since the very first release, or at least well before I got here 5 years ago.

When code gets really complicated, it's simply impossible to test every possible strange corner case.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FordPRefectLL posted:

being a little generous paying more than fed min wage there aren't you

It's in Canadian.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Locator posted:

I actually do QA for a living, and so much this. The software I work on is pretty damned important (it's in the financial industry, and the users are banks). The core code was written almost 10 years ago now, with regular releases 5 times per year, and we pretty regularly find defects that have been in the code since the very first release, or at least well before I got here 5 years ago.

When code gets really complicated, it's simply impossible to test every possible strange corner case.

...I won't tell anyone at work that you're on SA if you don't tell on me.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The Locator posted:

I once worked with a medical software that crashed when you entered a user account that had a hyphen in both their first and last name. It's really easy to miss fringe cases.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

quote:

Hey folks,

I just spoke with the team to get an update and the team is actively testing a possible fix. Right now the plan is to check back in an hour and I am hoping to have more information at that time.

Thanks!

-eric
At least an hour to go. You can give your F5 keys a rest.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

quote:

you got to be kidding
how many hours are waiting? to many
good way loosing paying customers
first kofe is sub only which defeats the purpose of a free to play game, than the free to play restrictions are to tiht now a almost 8 hour downtime? or even longer?
Im going back to sto, screw bioware and this game

I love patch days.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Jedi posted:

I love patch days.

quote:

WOW? Are all your emplyees fat yanks that eat loads of greesy burgers?

Euuugh everytime!!!

:confused:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I just wanna buy a hypercrate and get the sweet sweet gambleboxes.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Aphrodite posted:

It's in Canadian.

oh so even less

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Medullah posted:

...I won't tell anyone at work that you're on SA if you don't tell on me.

I didn't even pretend to be sick today, I'm working from home because of a bunch of online training that started really early this morning. :v:

Work from home is one of the nice benefits of working in software development for a nice company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Locator posted:

I didn't even pretend to be sick today, I'm working from home because of a bunch of online training that started really early this morning. :v:

Work from home is one of the nice benefits of working in software development for a nice company.

Is your company by chance centered in Missouri?

• Locked thread