Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Looking forward to being the Space Mongols / Organic Life-Hating AI Empire and having a free "Assimilate All Life" CB on every other sentient race in the galaxy. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Gantolandon posted:

Even Paradox forums have just one MotE AAR. I think even Sengoku had more.

I should learn how to play it and LP it just to show everyone who's boss.*

*who's boss is whatever AI country would beat me, probably.

edit: seriously contemplating this as a more reasonable alternative than "try to cram in an entire mega-LP while I wait for HoI IV to come out".

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 8, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I wasn't expecting to be so excited about something that mundane but I've been wanting another game to try V2-style war goals for a while. I think one of the issues with EU4 is that because any war can become a 100% peace treaty, you're incentivised to usually push to that point. Presumably the peace AI can be designed so that it will be more willing to give up in a limited war than for a huge 100% conquest attempt (I don't mean this in a strict warscore sense but more that hopefully we won't see EU4-style AI stubbornness in smaller wars).

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

I should learn how to play it and LP it just to show everyone who's boss.*

*who's boss is whatever AI country would beat me, probably.

edit: seriously contemplating this as a more reasonable alternative than "try to cram in an entire mega-LP while I wait for HoI IV to come out".

There is a reason people don't play it, though - just as Sengoku was pretty much a tech demo of CK2 characters system (along with intrigues). MotE seems like a test of EU4 military engine. It has some nice additions (like generated battle description), but otherwise doesn't seem to offer much.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Enh, MotE has a little more going on than that. The armies with three wings, the supply-train units, March To The Sound Of Guns... there's something there, probably.

Big fan of the 'first contact war' mechanic. Good sci-fi flavor there.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Killing Vikings gets so wearisome in early starts for CK2 :( they just keep charging at me like lemmings

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Paradox please add a 6 month character modifier to rulers who defeat raiding armies, and make raiders less likely to raid characters with that modifier

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Yes, there should be no vikings in the viking age.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yes, there should be no vikings in the viking age.

Vikings should pick on easier targets

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A modifier for rulers that kill a lot of raiders that makes the AI less aggressive would actually make sense.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Great job everyone, we must have sent at least 5 chickens and a cow back to the homeland before we were brutally butchered by the local garrison

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The ability for the AI to realize when something is a lost cause would also help so they didn't repeatedly waste resources bashing their heads against the same wall and get easily gamed by the player.

Again, I can't speak to EU4 but it's pretty east to goad the computer countries into doing specific things in older games like V2 and HOI3 so that you don't really need to prepare for any eventuality or be flexible. You just need to know where the AI is going to decide to ram into you and what triggers it.

It sounds like the repeated Viking raids are only aimed at 1 or 2 provinces and can simply be defeated by stationing your army in the area they like most and making sure they never reach dry land. Not very challenging or fun.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

There's a reason I don't like math.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Another thing that should be implemented on CK2 is certain traits or actions reduce the possibility of revolts while also still having your subjects hating the poo poo out of you. Let me be Ivan Grozny and keep the Boyars scared shitless that I'll kill everyone!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Another thing that should be implemented on CK2 is certain traits or actions reduce the possibility of revolts while also still having your subjects hating the poo poo out of you. Let me be Ivan Grozny and keep the Boyars scared shitless that I'll kill everyone!

This is actually a good point, the vassal AI should take into account things like "last time there was a revolt, every single revolting vassal was executed, so I'd better not press my faction claim unless I'm 200% certain I'll win".

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

vyelkin posted:

This is actually a good point, the vassal AI should take into account things like "last time there was a revolt, every single revolting vassal was executed, so I'd better not press my faction claim unless I'm 200% certain I'll win".

conversely, they should probably take into account "last time a revolt was threatoned, he gave in faster than wet tissue"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

On the same note of vassals not doing stupid things, vassals that avoid imprisonment should be able to choose between revolting and going into exile to a foreign court where they can re-organise and set up a strategy for how to return. You could have stuff like while they're away their overlord acts as regent of their titles without being able to re-distribute them until their holder-in-exile dies or something like that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

YF-23 posted:

On the same note of vassals not doing stupid things, vassals that avoid imprisonment should be able to choose between revolting and going into exile to a foreign court where they can re-organise and set up a strategy for how to return. You could have stuff like while they're away their overlord acts as regent of their titles without being able to re-distribute them until their holder-in-exile dies or something like that.

If you fail to imprison the head of a patrician family while you are the doge, they flee into exile and their heir becomes the new patrician. Who promptly hates you because he has the "tried to imprison family member" opinion penalty.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

YF-23 posted:

The CK2+ adventurer system sounds like it would be a good fit for that. Characters rock up to your court and ask for money to reclaim their titles, you can let them recruit in your lands, give them money, tell them to gently caress off, or imprison them and send them back to their leige.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

If you fail to imprison the head of a patrician family while you are the doge, they flee into exile and their heir becomes the new patrician. Who promptly hates you because he has the "tried to imprison family member" opinion penalty.

Also the exiled patrician immediately starts a plot to kill you but because they are not in your court you can't order them to end it, so instead you have to periodically go through and remind all your relatives to leave their plot thanks, which works for a few months until they join it again.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why not just go all Ivan the Terrible on everyone you suspect of being a traitor?

Seems easier to just murder them and burn their holdings to the ground than go through and remind them every 6 months.

Possible future DLC?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why not just go all Ivan the Terrible on everyone you suspect of being a traitor?

Seems easier to just murder them and burn their holdings to the ground than go through and remind them every 6 months.

Possible future DLC?

Merchant Republic, so keeping unlanded family members in your court is actually a really good thing.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

So, I don't normally watch lets plays, but I was really enjoying watching some EU4 ones. Does anyone know where I can go to look for more? Youtube is decent to find them, but mediocre to find good ones

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Goon Paradox LPs are traditionally screenshot/narrative based. If you don't mind switching format there's been several excellent ones done here or which are still ongoing.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Goon Paradox LPs are traditionally screenshot/narrative based. If you don't mind switching format there's been several excellent ones done here or which are still ongoing.

That makes sense, given how slow paradox games are. Are they in the lp sub? I can't seem to find any there, and don't terribly want to look through the whole thread to find them

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

So, I don't normally watch lets plays, but I was really enjoying watching some EU4 ones. Does anyone know where I can go to look for more? Youtube is decent to find them, but mediocre to find good ones

DDRJake has the best EU4 LPs out there in my opinion. He will absolutely twist the game and pull off incredible things. Arumba isn't bad at all for someone of a more average skill level who is clearly not playing 100% optimally.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Westminster System posted:

There's a reason I don't like math.

Yeah, um, those casualties... hm.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

That makes sense, given how slow paradox games are. Are they in the lp sub? I can't seem to find any there, and don't terribly want to look through the whole thread to find them

I believe there are three or four LPs going on right now at various speeds, Wiz has an Azerbaijan LP that is on hiatus until HoI4 releases so he can convert to that (and he has his older Hohezollern LP that is on the LP archive). Other than that there's several completed/suspended indefinitely ones you will probably need to have forums archives for.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

Here's Empress Theonora's LP about the Byzantines: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603375&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

DDRJake has the best EU4 LPs out there in my opinion. He will absolutely twist the game and pull off incredible things. Arumba isn't bad at all for someone of a more average skill level who is clearly not playing 100% optimally.

I like when Arumba does a tag-team playthrough with someone, it breaks up the monotony of one person's voice and the reality that one player is pretty much going to repeat the same strategy a dozen times over the game.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

Here are some goon Paradox LPs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731765

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603375

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582025

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677410

There's a bunch of semi-famous Paradox youtuber/twitch streamers, from the top of my head there's Arumba07, Shenryyr, Quill18 and Steejo. Maybe one of them is to your liking.

I do recommend their tag team series as was mentioned

edit: there's also this massive completed LP from Grey Hunter where he plays his nation of Ghana through CK2, EU4, Victoria 2 and Distant Worlds (A non-paradox space strategy game) http://lparchive.org/Distant-Worlds-(by-Grey-Hunter)/ SA apparently breaks the link so you have to paste it

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 9, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Does anybody have a link to Patter Song's Victoria 2 Bavaria LP? It's one of my favorites.

And, of course, there's always CRETE. :helladid:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Does anybody have a link to Patter Song's Victoria 2 Bavaria LP? It's one of my favorites.

Here you go.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

awesome! thanks y'all!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, um, those casualties... hm.

The latter side also doesn't add up correctly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Looks like it's just rounding errors (it always rounds down?) in how the numbers are displayed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's so annoying in Crusader Kings 2 when you get a ruler of a different culture to your normal one and his first act is to burn down all your Welsh archery buildings and replace them with the possibility of building his own cultural buildings. I'm surprised this particular behaviour hasn't been patched out yet.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Gort posted:

It's so annoying in Crusader Kings 2 when you get a ruler of a different culture to your normal one and his first act is to burn down all your Welsh archery buildings and replace them with the possibility of building his own cultural buildings. I'm surprised this particular behaviour hasn't been patched out yet.

The best solution is to tie the cultural buildings to the culture of the province, not the culture of the ruler. It's not like when Sultan John the Arab inherits England he's going to start planting loving camel seeds in the ground to assemble an army.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

Looks like it's just rounding errors (it always rounds down?) in how the numbers are displayed.

I think it's probably more like the individual casualties will round up a fraction to 1 even if it's something like 0.08.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

The best solution is to tie the cultural buildings to the culture of the province, not the culture of the ruler. It's not like when Sultan John the Arab inherits England he's going to start planting loving camel seeds in the ground to assemble an army.
Except that, using the longbow as an example, that's exactly what happened historically?

It takes a decade or more of practice to learn to accurately shoot a bow that's in excess of 130 pounds draw weight, and absolutely no one needs a bow that powerful in civilian life, so that practice had to be enshrined in law. Widespread proficiency is these weapons isn't an inherent cultural trait, it's the direct result of government policy.