Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The rules state:

quote:

Stasis shells may be taken on models with the Legions Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule equipped with a grenade launcher, twin-linked grenade launchers, or missile launchers as an additional ammunition type

I didn't think combi grenade launchers would fall under that, but I will happily be wrong if that's the case. I just think it would be specifically stated if it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
As written yeah, there can be some discussion. But a combi-GL is really just a grenade launcher with One Shot and IMO it works. That's also why I put the grenade harness as a separate thing.
As intended though, it seems reallllllly obvious that it should allow most if not all types of grenade launchers to get them. It's a legion rule intended for the legion and on technicality you'd be unable to use it at all? Bleh.

If I were you I'd send an email to FW about it. Their replies can be a bit iffy sometimes, but at least you'd get a much better idea of what was intended.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Hey guys, this London GT tournament is on the horizon and I wanted to get my Salamanders in ship shape for it.

Whether they end up doing a 30k segment or not, it's 1500pts. If it's 40K only then I'm going to get my dick kicked in by formations but gently caress it, going to have some fun.

quote:

SALAMANDERS LEGION RULES
Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

HQ - Legion Praetor - Digi lasers, Artificer Armour, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Iron Halo, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Mastercrafted Paragon Blade - 200pts
(He's with the Terminators)

Terminator Squad - Cataphractii - 5x Terminators with TH/Dragonscale SS, with a Mastercrafted TH on the Sergeant.
- In an Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod - 350pts

10 Legion Veterans with Meltabombs, Artificer Sergeant, Rhino w/ Dozer Blade, 2x Flamers - 295pts (OUTFLANK)
10 Legion Veterans with Meltabombs, Artificer Sergeant, Rhino w/ Dozer Blade, 2x Flamers - 295pts (SNIPER)

7 Legion Support Squad marines with flamers - 130pts

Deredeo w/ Autocannons - 185pts

Promethium Pipeline Network - 40pts

1500pts

Drop Dreadclaw down Turn 1, flame some dudes. Push up Rhino to support, Outflank other Rhino on. Deredeo shoots out armour, flamer guys stand by the pipeline on an objective hopefully torrenting poo poo at str 5. Turn 2 - assault from Dreadclaw, outflank veterans on. Pewpew.

Also I've been debating with my buddies - does Promethean Gift effect the Flame Sweep attack on the Dreadclaw to give it +1 Str? If so, d6 Str 7 rear armour hits is savage on light armour.

I might encounter a Spartan at 1500 but that'd basically be the whole enemy army.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They call out grenade launchers and twin-linked grenade launchers specifically, so I don't think it being a grenade launcher with one shot flies.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i actually can't think of a legiones astartes unit that can take just 'grenade launchers', if we aren't including combi-weapons

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

As written yeah, there can be some discussion. But a combi-GL is really just a grenade launcher with One Shot and IMO it works. That's also why I put the grenade harness as a separate thing.
As intended though, it seems reallllllly obvious that it should allow most if not all types of grenade launchers to get them. It's a legion rule intended for the legion and on technicality you'd be unable to use it at all? Bleh.

If I were you I'd send an email to FW about it. Their replies can be a bit iffy sometimes, but at least you'd get a much better idea of what was intended.
Not a bad idea. I might just send them an e-mail so they know those grenades aren't actually an option for anyone. Clarification would be a bonus.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i actually can't think of a legiones astartes unit that can take just 'grenade launchers', if we aren't including combi-weapons
That's the thing, no one can. No unit in the list has access to regular grenade launchers or twin-linked grenade launchers. :downs:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 9, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Also I've been debating with my buddies - does Promethean Gift effect the Flame Sweep attack on the Dreadclaw to give it +1 Str? If so, d6 Str 7 rear armour hits is savage on light armour.

Sadly not. Promethean Gift is very specific: Hand Flamers, Flamers and Heavy Flamers only.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Getting a decent weapon you can't actually use is Dark Angels as gently caress.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Getting a decent weapon you can't actually use is Dark Angels as gently caress.

Getting a lovely weapon you can't actually use might be even more Dark Angels, but I haven't decided. (I don't think stasis shells are a good upgrade--maybe if they came free with GLs/Combi-GLs/purchases of flakk missiles, I guess.)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
E-mail sent to FW. I am the ur-goon. :negative:

Even if they rule that you can slap stasis grenades into a combi weapon it's still going to be a 15 point upgrade to get one shot off. That one shot may save a bunch of your models if you can pull it off at the right time though. Maybe it's worth it. If nothing else, this clarification would let people actually use the damned things if they want to.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Mango Polo posted:

Sadly not. Promethean Gift is very specific: Hand Flamers, Flamers and Heavy Flamers only.

So why does it work on Pyroclast Flame Projectors...?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

One of the Battle Bunnies dudes did an awesome Death Guard-era Garro conversion.

http://battlebunnies.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/pre-knight-errant-nathaniel-garro-pre.html

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

DrPop posted:

Whereabouts? I'm in Ann Arbor and would love to slam local hams.

When do you guys think Book VI will be available online?

We played at the Michigan GT in Lansing in October, and Flatland in Wixom last weekend. Playing in Flint in April. We have a fb group - Michigan Horus Heresy

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

muggins posted:

We played at the Michigan GT in Lansing in October, and Flatland in Wixom last weekend. Playing in Flint in April. We have a fb group - Michigan Horus Heresy

Sweet, I'll hop in.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

So why does it work on Pyroclast Flame Projectors...?

I'd say because that one is specifically called out in the weapon's description as benefiting from Gift.
Technically FW didn't have to include that little bit and just say "yeah this is a S5 flamer!" and it would be exactly as it is, but adding it does prevent people trying to argue that Flame Projectors should be S6.

Or at least that's my take on it; but Promethean Gift seems fairly well worded.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Wracking my brain trying to figure out an Ironfire Bombardment list.
I'm looking at a praetor, siege breaker, and master of signal.
Two 15 man blobs with nuncio voxes, artificer armor, and AA apothecaries.
Two 3 gun batteries of quad mortars with frag, shatter, and phosphex.
5 lascannon Havocs, medusa, and a talon of two armored ceremite leviathans with phosphex dischargers(cuz barrage) storm cannons and claws.
Got about 150 points in kit for the HQs, I'm thinking just March them with the blobs, stuff like a BS5 fury would be fun.

The more I think about it the more I'm asking "why am I playing this legion anymore" kind of feel like I've lost my vibe with the army.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 9, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Someone asked about the Blackshields, so here we go - the full "they told me I was an idiot for trying to make my own snowflake legion, but now I can do whatever I want" Blackshield experience!

Special units and gear

poo poo quality pictures, but that's really all that my poo poo phone can manage.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, gently caress yeah. Blackshields look rad as hell. Just a bunch of punk space marines in cobbled together, garbage gear running around shooting lasguns and spray painting MARINES LOL all over everything.

Alternatively, goth kids, space pirates, or horrible mutants.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
"Emperor rox. Horus sux"

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Blackshields do look awfully cool.

Any idea if they will produce the weapon options or Pariah power armour?

Though I imagine you could then kit bash an entire army, though you would be weighing in at about 250-300 points per ten blackshields.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Blackshields do look awfully cool.

Any idea if they will produce the weapon options or Pariah power armour?

Though I imagine you could then kit bash an entire army, though you would be weighing in at about 250-300 points per ten blackshields.

I think this was asked at the weekender and the answer was no. Looking at the art and posters you're pretty much supposed to kitbash a bunch of things together and call it a day.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Blackshields look like an army that will be carried by having really good troops. 3 attacks base? Tons of options? Costs less than veterans and just a bit more than tacticals? Done deal. They have more options, but worse wargear. Nice way to balance them.

Hencoe posted:

Wracking my brain trying to figure out an Ironfire Bombardment list.
I'm looking at a praetor, siege breaker, and master of signal.
Two 15 man blobs with nuncio voxes, artificer armor, and AA apothecaries.
Two 3 gun batteries of quad mortars with frag, shatter, and phosphex.
5 lascannon Havocs, medusa, and a talon of two armored ceremite leviathans with phosphex dischargers(cuz barrage) storm cannons and claws.
Got about 150 points in kit for the HQs, I'm thinking just March them with the blobs, stuff like a BS5 fury would be fun.

The more I think about it the more I'm asking "why am I playing this legion anymore" kind of feel like I've lost my vibe with the army.

I would probably plop your troops, or maybe just one, into a Dreadclaw or Kharybdis. You can also ally in admech for extra artillery. Bottom line is that any friendly unit confers the benefit so you wanna drop them into the gates of hell and then shoot artillery all around them. I actually think the Kharybdis might be a good unit for this ROW as it can be your focal point. Bonus if you mount up those leviathans into pods.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Blackshields look like an army that will be carried by having really good troops. 3 attacks base? Tons of options? Costs less than veterans and just a bit more than tacticals? Done deal. They have more options, but worse wargear. Nice way to balance them.

Marauders with shotguns are boss and the Chymeriae option for +1S +1T is pretty fantastic when you can field blobs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
One thing I've come to learn from 30k games is that scoring units are less important than those in 40k. Denial units, on the other hand, are very important. I don't think anybody is going to seriously play with the shattered legions because there is no way to deny objectives.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

I would probably plop your troops, or maybe just one, into a Dreadclaw or Kharybdis. You can also ally in admech for extra artillery. Bottom line is that any friendly unit confers the benefit so you wanna drop them into the gates of hell and then shoot artillery all around them. I actually think the Kharybdis might be a good unit for this ROW as it can be your focal point. Bonus if you mount up those leviathans into pods.

Well they are in a talon so I really can't, plus if I pod the tac squads it's dropping them to 10 with no characters or apothecary. Not sure how I feel about that

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Stop the clock. Dark Angles outriders with plasma repeaters.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

The bikers were cool models but a bit overpriced for what they do (and compared poorly to the jetbikes). Better plasma could make them work.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Not an option. :smith: They don't take regular plasma guns, but twin-linked ones and those replace the bolters mounted on their bikes. Besides, those would be better in most situations anyways.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Do the Sergeants is Tactical Support Squads carry a special weapon as well? Looking at the unit entry in Book 1, it looks like they don't, but I've heard people saying they do.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Can somebody repost the Dark Angels RoWs? I think the images got taken down.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DO IT TO IT posted:

Do the Sergeants is Tactical Support Squads carry a special weapon as well? Looking at the unit entry in Book 1, it looks like they don't, but I've heard people saying they do.

They do, they updated it in the Crusade Army List Red Book.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how many shots is that on Pariah bolters? it looks like a 3 or a 5?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how many shots is that on Pariah bolters? it looks like a 3 or a 5?
It's a 2.

Endman posted:

Can somebody repost the Dark Angels RoWs? I think the images got taken down.
The RoWs weren't pictures, they were typed out earlier in the thread. Here they are:

Mango Polo posted:

Can't upload anything anymore, but basically:

RoW 1: Ravenwing Protocol

• Iron Knights: Sky Hunter jetbikes and Outrider bikes are the only troops you can take in a Primary Detachment with this RoW. The IC you selected to use this RoW must be on a jetbike or bike. Anyone who can't ride a bike is not allowed.
  • Knights Commander: IC in the detachment can re-roll wounds against targets with Toughness 5 or more. In addition they anf any unit they join ignore Leadership penalties during the Assault phase.
  • Search and Destroy: Jetbikes and skimmers (including those taken as... mounts by IC? I guess that's something for the future) can leave the table in their own movement phase and be placed in Ongoing Reserves. They re-enter using Outflank.
  • Hunt Them Down: Sweeping Advances can be re-rolled.
  • Scour the Land: Characters can take rad grenades for 5 points each.
  • The only vehicles allowed in the army are Skimmers and Flyers.
  • Infantry must start the game embarked on a flying transport and can only enter from Reserve.
  • No fortifications or Allies.
  • Only LoWs allowed are "Flyers of some type"
  • Inviolate and Alone: Models with LA (Dark Angels) using this RoW can never get Leadership benefits or Leadership-related bonus from non-LA (Dark Angels) or Sire of the DA sources. Also units from this RoW cannot be joined by IC from other detachments.

RoW 2: Ironwing Protocol
  • Interlocking Fire: Vehicle squadrons with at least 2 models remaining have BS5.
  • Exterminators: Infantry shooting at models within 12" add +1 to wound if they are using Pistol, Rapid Fire, or Salvo weapons of S5 or less.
  • The Dust of Untold Worlds: Each tank vehicle ignores the first dangerous terrain test they have to make once per game. Also +1" to distance when moving Flat Out.
  • Goliaths of War: All dreads included in this detachment have Fear (hello fear, my old friend) and Tank Hunters.

• Infantry must start the game embarked on Tank transport vehicles.
  • At least half the units of the armymust be Tank vehicles.
  • If all Tanks are destroyed, the enemy gets a free additiomal Secondary Objective.
  • No fortifications or allied detachments.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

The RoWs weren't pictures, they were typed out earlier in the thread. Here they are:

My mistake. Thanks for the repost!

I'm surprised there isn't a Terminator-focused RoW, considering Deathwing. Or were they invented post heresy?

Both are pretty cool, though, and the Dark Angels wargear choices are pretty awesome. Shame about the legion rules. They'd gel a lot better with RoWs that focused on large formations of infantry, given the D3 victory points you can give your opponent by being outnumbered at the end.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's like they go "yeah, giving them recon marines as troops and +1WS against stationary vehicles is just so.. powerful, we gotta balance this somehow." Then they saddle the marginal benefits with some crippling or stupid restrictions.

"Good work guys, way to keep those powerful benefits in check. Lets hit the pub!"

More likely they are understaffed and don't externally play test their games.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
^^^^

Alan did mention something about this being a WIP, and that any updates would be done in a FAQ. I think this is just FWs way of externally playtesting. Probably pressure from GW not to externally playtest beta rules.

Endman posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a Terminator-focused RoW, considering Deathwing. Or were they invented post heresy?

Both are pretty cool, though, and the Dark Angels wargear choices are pretty awesome. Shame about the legion rules. They'd gel a lot better with RoWs that focused on large formations of infantry, given the D3 victory points you can give your opponent by being outnumbered at the end.

Deathwing is a post-heresy invention methinks.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Endman posted:

With only two slots for ROWs, I'm guessing that FW wanted to focus on ideas that don't already exist, more or less.
Pride of the Legion and Primarch's Chosen both allow for vets and terminators to take centre stage. And the Zone Mortalis ROW too.

Speaking of which, I love Primarch's Chosen. It's basically the best low budget option for building an army.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Alan did mention something about this being a WIP, and that any updates would be done in a FAQ. I think this is just FWs way of externally playtesting. Probably pressure from GW not to externally playtest beta rules.
Correct, he called them placeholders and a work in progress.

I fully expect BA access to assault cannons to be nerfed to the ground. It's pretty ridiculous.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

I fully expect BA access to assault cannons to be nerfed to the ground. It's pretty ridiculous.

Pretty much. However we BA players are used to these kinds of things... :smith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Deathwing is a post-heresy invention methinks.

In an organizational sense it is, but in the books the Dark Angels apparently use a different organizational structure from everyone else: almost every character is mentioned to be part of a -wing formation. Deathwing, ravenwing, dreadwing, ironwing, and voidwing have all been mentioned IIRC.

There's a funny scene in one of the books where Roboute Guilliman sees the Dark Angels massing on the ground in Legion strength and all he can think is "They're not acting the way Astartes should. They're not supposed to be organized like that. What are those weapons? They aren't supposed to have those weapons. What is going on here? They're not supposed to have that stuff."

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Further proof that Robit Girlyman was the ultimate grimdark sperg.