Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Firstborn posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get the license to Warhammer if you just ask politely. There is now like 3 good Warhammer (including 40k) games and 20 awful ones.

be right back, I got Gorkamorka Kart to pitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Holy shut don't bring up char unless you want your mouse input to randomly stop working until you quit the game

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Lascannon is good just needs slight balance tweaks

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Dre2Dee2 posted:

be right back, I got Gorkamorka Kart to pitch

Just saw your game pop up on early access. Congratulations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What's that gun that vaporized the chaos sorceror in the video.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
So if I wanted to buy this game on EA, or take that $40 and use it as kindling to start a fire, which is a better investment?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kimsemus posted:

So if I wanted to buy this game on EA, or take that $40 and use it as kindling to start a fire, which is a better investment?

It's hard to say. One will feel warm and rewarding for about 3 minutes, and the other is setting money on fire.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bleusilences posted:

They hope to work they way back to an open world game.

they should just hire the planetside devs to make an eternal crusade planetside style game.

just roll the spece marines into high cost imperial forces. Bam done.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

they should just hire the planetside devs to make an eternal crusade planetside style game.

just roll the spece marines into high cost imperial forces. Bam done.

The technology required to slap WH40k skins on planetside 2 gameplay is like decades away or something.

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016
I just purchased this on steam and for an alpha I must say that I am impressed. Aside from balance issues with melee I am enjoying it.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

9foxtails posted:

I just purchased this on steam and for an alpha I must say that I am impressed. Aside from balance issues with melee I am enjoying it.

Is melee too bad or too good?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can't speak for him but the system right now is kind of wonky. You've got an RPS system;

Light attack, simultaneous light attacks can clang off each other. If the weapons are of the same weight (power fist is the current heaviest) they reset both players to a neutral stance. If one is heavier the heavier one wins and that weapons strike goes through. That plus the stagger means that if you try to clang a power axe or fist with a chainsword or power sword, you will get hosed up. Currently: Power Fist > P Axe > P Sword > Chainsword > Dagger.

Defensive bash, which puts you in a little charge up stance which deflects all light attacks from the front and staggers someone if it hits them after the 2.5 seconds or so it takes to fire off.

Heavy attack, which breaks through defensive bashes but gets staggered out by light attacks.

When it works, it's actually a pretty cool thing to beat someone one on one just fighting with the melee system. What usually happens though is you start to fight someone and an assault leaps out of the sky, stuns you and kills you before you can recover. Also defensive bash is, less than reliable let's say, to do what it's supposed to.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 29, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Didn't the first version of Space Marine have weapon clashes too? Maybe I was just confused about the finishing moves at the time.

I can't find any footage of it, but I found this other thing which is fascinating in its own regard. 8:20 and out, it turns out the terrible, last boss started life as a gameplay mechanic with meters and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppU18hUt7Ws&t=500s

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So whats the consensus on buying in at this point? Is it ANY good? I realize it's half the game they are promising at this point but i'm really leary of spending money on poo poo before it's done because gently caress that whole trend. I'm also a massive 40k nerd, and I would like this to be good. Is it enjoyable to play?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

AcidRonin posted:

So whats the consensus on buying in at this point? Is it ANY good? I realize it's half the game they are promising at this point but i'm really leary of spending money on poo poo before it's done because gently caress that whole trend. I'm also a massive 40k nerd, and I would like this to be good. Is it enjoyable to play?

Just get Battlefleet Gothic: Armada and wait for this to be more done and less expensive.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Why do we think Battlefleet Gothic will be good though?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Pierson posted:

Why do we think Battlefleet Gothic will be good though?

Well, for starters, it isn't riddled with holes from moved goalposts. The people making it have made a pretty fun spaceship MOBA in the past called Stellar Impact. It also has Ork ships.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sard posted:

The people making it have made a pretty fun spaceship MOBA in the past called Stellar Impact.

So no, it won't be any good.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Game has potential and could become something interesting. Right now there isn't much to do in it so I would say it is not worth the purchase.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Just picked this up since I'm a sucker for Warhammer 40k.

My referral code is EC-YW5OGJ0EN82IE to give us both some points.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

After talking to Orv about it on Steam yesterday, I finally installed this with my old Founder's key. I only played for 15 minutes while sleep deprived out of my mind, but it has a lot of potential. I didn't really feel like I was having hit detection issues or lag or anything. Optimization could use some work, but it's an Alpha so that hasn't even started yet. I only really noticed it when trying to spawn out of a Rhino and quickly leap away.

Gameplay wise, I got completely wrecked by whatever hardcore spergs were playing at 4 in the morning. I got a couple kills playing Devastator (because gently caress you, I like Devastator marines), but ranged feels kinda weak right now. I only tried the Heavy Bolter, because I hadn't fiddled with my custom loadouts before hoping in to try it out, but I'll probably try out the Plasma and Las Cannons next time I play. Heavy Bolter felt like it had way too much recoil even when zoomed in, though I imagine that's to encourage you to brace it on cover. Bracing it on cover seems like it'd be a death sentence like all mounted turret weapons, because my average life expectancy was approximately 25 seconds before an Assault Marine jumped on me and one shotted me.

I tried swapping to the big Stormshield guy and lost a melee fight straight up against an assault marine, but that's because I honestly had no idea how the melee system worked and I was just button mashing like a retard.

Assault seems extremely strong, and I only ever recall being shot at once, which was getting vaporized from a rooftop across the battlefield by what I believe to be a lascannon. If that's the case, lascannons (Despite their anti-armor role in the description) would be better than a heavy bolter, because you're never going to land enough shots on a target that sees you to make them give a poo poo. If they see you, they're going to just jump jet your rear end instantly.

Overall, lots of potential and reasonably fun. I imagine it'll be better once I understand the systems in play.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Zaodai posted:

After talking to Orv about it on Steam yesterday, I finally installed this with my old Founder's key. I only played for 15 minutes while sleep deprived out of my mind, but it has a lot of potential. I didn't really feel like I was having hit detection issues or lag or anything. Optimization could use some work, but it's an Alpha so that hasn't even started yet. I only really noticed it when trying to spawn out of a Rhino and quickly leap away.

Gameplay wise, I got completely wrecked by whatever hardcore spergs were playing at 4 in the morning. I got a couple kills playing Devastator (because gently caress you, I like Devastator marines), but ranged feels kinda weak right now. I only tried the Heavy Bolter, because I hadn't fiddled with my custom loadouts before hoping in to try it out, but I'll probably try out the Plasma and Las Cannons next time I play. Heavy Bolter felt like it had way too much recoil even when zoomed in, though I imagine that's to encourage you to brace it on cover. Bracing it on cover seems like it'd be a death sentence like all mounted turret weapons, because my average life expectancy was approximately 25 seconds before an Assault Marine jumped on me and one shotted me.

I tried swapping to the big Stormshield guy and lost a melee fight straight up against an assault marine, but that's because I honestly had no idea how the melee system worked and I was just button mashing like a retard.

Assault seems extremely strong, and I only ever recall being shot at once, which was getting vaporized from a rooftop across the battlefield by what I believe to be a lascannon. If that's the case, lascannons (Despite their anti-armor role in the description) would be better than a heavy bolter, because you're never going to land enough shots on a target that sees you to make them give a poo poo. If they see you, they're going to just jump jet your rear end instantly.

Overall, lots of potential and reasonably fun. I imagine it'll be better once I understand the systems in play.

I played a lot of Space Marine multiplayer and some of the basics carry over. I haven't quite figured out the melee system either but the key to fighting any melee guy with a ranged weapon is pressing space bar for the dodge. It's a bit harder for Devastators since their dodge isn't that good and it takes a second to aim but it really helps. Most people don't understand melee so they'll just swing randomly and miss while you get some distance and murder them.

The Stalker bolter for Tacticals is also crazy good. Just be sure to press X I think to switch it to single shot.

The Lascannon is good, it just requires you to hold the reticle over the person for a few seconds before it will fire. As long as you're moving it shouldn't hit you.

APCs are underrated. Hop in one, drive to a somewhat secluded area close to the front lines, and give your team a great spawn point. Vehicles are hard to destroy and most people will ignore them or not know how to destroy them.

This game has a lot of potential and is quite fun even for an early Alpha.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

limp_cheese posted:

I played a lot of Space Marine multiplayer and some of the basics carry over. I haven't quite figured out the melee system either but the key to fighting any melee guy with a ranged weapon is pressing space bar for the dodge. It's a bit harder for Devastators since their dodge isn't that good and it takes a second to aim but it really helps. Most people don't understand melee so they'll just swing randomly and miss while you get some distance and murder them.

The Stalker bolter for Tacticals is also crazy good. Just be sure to press X I think to switch it to single shot.

The Lascannon is good, it just requires you to hold the reticle over the person for a few seconds before it will fire. As long as you're moving it shouldn't hit you.

APCs are underrated. Hop in one, drive to a somewhat secluded area close to the front lines, and give your team a great spawn point. Vehicles are hard to destroy and most people will ignore them or not know how to destroy them.

This game has a lot of potential and is quite fun even for an early Alpha.

Yeah, I need to remember to use the combat roll. Can you combat roll through their initial jetpack ground slam? I was doing a lot of poo poo wrong and figuring out the controls and stuff. I've also switched my melee kits to use the Power Axe before I closed out last night (though I didn't go back to try them) once I figured out how to customize kits. Most of the assaults were rocking power swords and flailing, and the description from the power axe said it knocked light weapons aside, so I figured that would help. After reading the weight system in the thread, that'll definitely work since most people were running power swords it looked like.

I will say that the Heavy Bolter definitely felt meaty as you fired it, so it has that going for it. Has anybody tried the Storm Bolter on the tactical? Is it basically your shotgun analog in this case, in that it would be a short range murder machine? Seems like that might be good for fighting assaults too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They're going to have a hell of a time balancing Assault troopers. The combat system is pretty great (though I suck at it), but Assaults are amazing at everything it seems. They're the fastest movers, they can fly, they get stuns, and melee is incredible. A well played Assault is an absolute terror. I ran into one guy tonight who was just dump trucking people like 1v5, in true Space Marine fashion (though he was a Chaos marine). He clearly knew the system very well, and he was doing a good job of mixing in the defensive interrupt and his bolt pistol while kiting, so I'm not faulting the guy. He was kicking rear end.

It just seems like any fight you go to, if you try and take any kind of position, a wave of assaults are going to land on your head and decapitate you in one hit. It's an odd experience.

Still no luck with Devastators. I had some decent flank positions set up with a Heavy Bolter, but as predicted they run into video game turret problems. You get sniped by a guy with a stalker, or more commonly, dropped on by multiple Assaults who see the stream of giant fuckoff tracers being fired into the melee.

Just my initial impressions as a baddie, though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
hahahahAHHAhahah holy poo poo is this game bad.

Janky as gently caress, the netcode is a solid piece of poo poo, warping everywhere, etc, etc. Thank god for steam refunds. Seriously, peer 2 peer Space Marine was less janky hosted on a 56k modem.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stanley Pain posted:

hahahahAHHAhahah holy poo poo is this game bad.

Janky as gently caress, the netcode is a solid piece of poo poo, warping everywhere, etc, etc. Thank god for steam refunds. Seriously, peer 2 peer Space Marine was less janky hosted on a 56k modem.

I've actually found there to be fairly little warping and hit detection to be pretty decent. It's better than Siege's piece of poo poo netcode, and the Space Marine netcode (at least on PC) was loving horrible. That said, there is a big notification on the title screen that says WE'RE TESTING 48 PLAYER SERVERS, IT'S GONNA LAG.

In less :qq: news, The Power Fist is pretty great. It's not THAT slow, it beats out everything else, and kills in a couple hits. I finally got a positive K/D playing it, including winning a couple fights against other assaults. The Sorcerer plague hex DoT seems pretty good, I may have to try Chaos out for that. Lascannon seems really bad considering you don't get any kind of backup weapon to use against non-stationary targets. Plasma Cannon is a better compromise, though a rocket launcher would be ideal. :getin: I find it mildly amusing that the default Storm Shield ground defense class is actually over his budget, so you can't modify him unless you want to downgrade your weapon or give up your health kits. Does the amount of LP you get for your loadouts go up as you rank up, I assume?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I guess you're playing a different game than, because there's no way else to describe the netcode but JANK CITY. Hopefully once they iron that out (they probably won't) it'll be in a bit of a better state. Like the game just stops rendering people if they're moving too fast which can result in some hilarious things happening.

If you're sitting on the fence on getting this, don't. Wait at least 6 months to see if it gets better. Or you can try your hand at the Steam refund option if you want to test it out yourself. I was hoping it would've been at least as bad as Space Marine MP but godman it's somehow worse in a lot of aspects.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've had zero netcode problems. :shrug:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You're just more used to the Jankiness is all. I see it on people's streams too. It's really apparent on fast moving things

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've seen occasional issues that could be construed as warping, but I don't know if it's netcode or optimization. It's usually having to deal with watching an Assault do his crashdown from a far distance away, so I suspect it's actually a render speed issue. Regardless, you're never going to accurately hit an Assault during that animation from that range, so it didn't really come up as a problem. The only other time I've had an issue was with most of both teams packed into two buildings across a narrow hallway with 4 or so Rhinos shooting at each other inside the hallway area. If you tried to dive roll across the hallway, you'd get juggled by the explosion which would cause a hiccup in movement, sometimes stopping you in place. Hopefully that'll get better as they improve the quality of the big 48 player battles, but I likely would have died trying to make that foolish of a sprint either way. I've had bigger issues with the optimization, but I'm too stubborn to turn down the quality settings (since it's just a slider).

Everything during melee fights and stuff has been remarkably responsive, which is pretty necessary to get used to the rock paper scissors experience of it. Kicking some guy in the dick with the defensive stagger and then one shotting him with a heavy power fist attack is legit fun.

Is the Power Fist the only melee weapon that can damage vehicles? I was hitting one with a Power Axe last night and at one point it looked like I got it to do insane damage (like 3/4 of the rhino's health in one hit), and then couldn't get any more blows to do damage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

You're just more used to the Jankiness is all. I see it on people's streams too. It's really apparent on fast moving things

No? I haven't seen any sort of overt teleporting or warping at all. There is definitely some jank with regards to player collision and the plasma weapons especially don't obey, well, any rules known to man.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Probably don't download porn while you play online games.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zaodai posted:

Is the Power Fist the only melee weapon that can damage vehicles? I was hitting one with a Power Axe last night and at one point it looked like I got it to do insane damage (like 3/4 of the rhino's health in one hit), and then couldn't get any more blows to do damage.

I think the power fist was the most fun I had when I uppercut a Rhino and it flipped on its side.

Orv posted:

No? I haven't seen any sort of overt teleporting or warping at all. There is definitely some jank with regards to player collision and the plasma weapons especially don't obey, well, any rules known to man.

I find that hard to believe or yesterday happened to be a really bad day for the servers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I haven't played on the 48 person tests, which may be a different experience. 16v16 has been totally fine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Orv posted:

I haven't played on the 48 person tests, which may be a different experience. 16v16 has been totally fine.

You get a little jitter if everybody is packed into the same building fighting in the 48s, but even that might have been my internet.

I had far bigger problems with fights of that size in Planetside 2 than I have in the EC alpha so far.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Eldar stuff off a PCGamer article. There's words there about Eldar too but they're not particularly revealing or relevant. They don't like linking their pictures apparently so here is the URL.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 10, 2016

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Is there a timeline for when the plan on releasing horde mode and improving the dress up options?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Next 2-3 months will/should have Eldar, visual customization, accessories system (perk/buff items) and PvE.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

New Melta seems bad compared to the rapegun that was Space Marine Melta. They did say it's supposed to be anti-vehicle and not anti-personnel, so I guess there is that. It just feels like there should be some kind of ranged option with a decent punch compared to melee to offset the fact that you're going to have a LOT of guys trying to melee you. That, or I'm missing something about how to fix bolter accuracy to get those one shot headshots that happen to me every once in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Right now can you customize your appearance between different armor marks? And how do your chapter options work. Are you only allowed to be the colors of the chapters in-game?

• Locked thread