Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, dice towers are the board game equivalent of customized playmats for card games. They're the appropriate and welcome place to fly your freak flag and show everyone your love of ponies/anime/boobs/dicks. Speaking of which, I'm trying to figure what would be the most irritating kawaii desu thing to place on a large ship. Apparently decals exist. :evilbuddy:

Surely there's star wars kancolle crossover art somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Devlan Mud posted:

Surely there's star wars kancolle crossover art somewhere...

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Hello fellow ex-wang enthusiasts,

Just made the jump to playing X-Wing while I'm taking a break from my 40k addiction. Working on getting together a semi-competitive Imperial build for use in some local events, as well as for playing some (un)friendly games with Gerdalti at work.

So far, I have:
  • 1x X-Wing Core Set
  • 1x Imperial Raider Expansion
  • 1x Imperial Aces Expansion
  • 2x Tie Defender Expansion
  • 2x Tie Advanced Expansion
  • 2x Tie Interceptor Expansion

Any suggestions on what to add next, as well as some list ideas? I ran Vader and 2 basic Tie Defenders w/ Ion Cannons against Gerdalti's Han & Poe superfriends list last week, and eventually found myself whittled down to a lone, ineffective Vader before we called the game due to lack of time. I'm hoping to find an effective way to punch through the Falcon's never ending hit points before that drat turret takes me down.

Thanks!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Broken Record Talk posted:

Just made the jump to playing X-Wing while I'm taking a break from my 40k addiction. Working on getting together a semi-competitive Imperial build for use in some local events, as well as for playing some (un)friendly games with Gerdalti at work.

So far, I have:
  • 1x X-Wing Core Set

Any suggestions on what to add next, as well as some list ideas? I ran Vader and 2 basic Tie Defenders w/ Ion Cannons against Gerdalti's Han & Poe superfriends list last week, and eventually found myself whittled down to a lone, ineffective Vader before we called the game due to lack of time. I'm hoping to find an effective way to punch through the Falcon's never ending hit points before that drat turret takes me down.

Thanks!

Also, how do I crush said list?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

So far, I have:
  • 1x X-Wing Core Set

Thanks!

Get a Decimator, run Chiraneau/VI/Palpatine/Gunner/Engine Upgrade, Vader/VI/x1/ATC/Engine Upgrade.

Doesn't tell you how to fly it though.

Otherwise, Vader/Soontir/Omega Leader is a great list, so TIE f/o. But you'll also want Autothrusters and two Stealth Devices which is a lot extra to buy.

Gerdalti posted:

Also, how do I crush said list?
With great difficulty and TLTs.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 9, 2016

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

thespaceinvader posted:

Get a Decimator, run Chiraneau/VI/Palpatine/Gunner/Engine Upgrade, Vader/VI/x1/ATC/Engine Upgrade.

Doesn't tell you how to fly it though.

Otherwise, Vader/Soontir/Omega Leader is a great list, so TIE f/o. But you'll also want Autothrusters and two Stealth Devices which is a lot extra to buy.

I was actually looking at an almost identical build, but with Agent Kallus in place of the Gunner. I figure that gives a pretty large amount of dice manipulation.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I was actually looking at an almost identical build, but with Agent Kallus in place of the Gunner. I figure that gives a pretty large amount of dice manipulation.

Gunner is better than Kallus. Gunner rescues you when you roll gently caress all, Kallus just allows you to mod an eye in attack, which Chiraneau does already. And it does nothing for you defensively which is half its cost/value. Gunner also gets you the chance to strip tokens from high defence targets like Soontir in a manner that Kallus doesn't.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

There's a lot of cool FO stuff between TFA Core and the Blister, and a TIE Fighter blister gives you Howlrunner, which opens up your swarmy options (which you'll have plenty of plain Jane fighters for if you're gonna be buying a Gozanti). Decimator and Lambda will get you ships to run Palpy on, and I'd probably prioritize the Lambda ahead of the Decimator. The Punisher also has the TIE mk2 Engine which opens up the Defender dial a ton if you're set on using those (and will be cool and good when Guidance Chips comes out).

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 9, 2016

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Oooo! Sparkly!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wasn't someone making a Star Fox list?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-X-WING-MINIATURES-ARWING-PAINTED-STAR-WARS-STAR-FOX-/322002875168

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
At the store champs on Saturday I'm going to fly (I think):

Catch Me If You Can

Poe Dameron (31) [37]
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Ello Atsy (30) [36]
Stay on Target (2)
BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Jake Farrell (24) [27]
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

PS 7/7/10, and if you haven't taken a good hard look at what a T-70 can do with BB-8 and Stay on Target... well, I won't ruin the surprise.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

BB8/SOT is nice - turing a 3 forward into a T-roll is awesome. But on Ello? getting stress on Ello is terrible. And it doesn't allow that t-roll to be white; the more difficult option wins in that situation.

I'd go with a cheaper pilot and use the points you save to get another EPT for Jake.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

BB8/SOT is nice - turing a 3 forward into a T-roll is awesome. But on Ello? getting stress on Ello is terrible. And it doesn't allow that t-roll to be white; the more difficult option wins in that situation.

I'd go with a cheaper pilot and use the points you save to get another EPT for Jake.

I'm not taking Ello for his ability (though it's nice on turns where I'm not using Stay on Target), I'm taking him because he's a PS 7 T-70 when all my other options are either Poe (who is even worse at handling stress), Red and Blue Ace (who can't take EPTs and BB-8 at the same time), and Red Squadron Vet (who is PS 4). If there was another PS 8 or PS 7 T-70 pilot I would probably take them instead, but there is not.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Release the TFA Aces set, FFG. This is a lawyer.

Strobe needs Jessika Pava and Snap Wexley up in this business, stat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

I'm not taking Ello for his ability (though it's nice on turns where I'm not using Stay on Target), I'm taking him because he's a PS 7 T-70 when all my other options are either Poe (who is even worse at handling stress), Red and Blue Ace (who can't take EPTs and BB-8 at the same time), and Red Squadron Vet (who is PS 4). If there was another PS 8 or PS 7 T-70 pilot I would probably take them instead, but there is not.
Why is PS7 so necessary to you?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Why is PS7 so necessary to you?

PS 7 isn't what's so necessary, it's "has EPT and isn't a PS 4 generic" that's necessary.

Repositions get exponentially more useful the further back in the move order you go, and Stay on Target plus BB-8 is a shitload of a reposition for an X-wing.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Seeing that Vassery with Tie/D gave me an idea...

Locking Buddies
LOCKING BUDDIES (98 points)
“Omega Leader”* + Weapons Guidence, Preditor, Shield Upgrade (30 Points)
Colonel Vessery* + TIE/D, Heavy Laser Cannon, Preditor, Shield Upgrade (49 Points)
Epsilon Squadron Pilot + Shield Upgrade (19 Points)

E:

That was me. Holy cow that's nice. I was trying to actually think about how to paint a X-Wing in starfox design and make it vaguely look like an AR-Wing and not just a X-Wing with blue, those side things are a big part of what makes an AR-wing an AR-wing.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 9, 2016

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Can't use TIE/D and HLC together.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Foolster41 posted:

Seeing that Vassery with Tie/D gave me an idea...

Locking Buddies
LOCKING BUDDIES (98 points)
Colonel Vessery* + TIE/D, Heavy Laser Cannon, Preditor, Shield Upgrade (49 Points)
Epsilon Squadron Pilot + Shield Upgrade (19 Points)

Juke and Comms Relay is a million times better on Omega Leader.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

WTF no.

Omega Leader gets Juke and Comm Relay, Stealth Device if you have spare points. This is basically the only good way to build him except JUUUUUST maybe VI.

And Vessery with HLC is just too expensive for what he does, not to mention, as noted, it not working with TIE/D. This whole list, even with the HLC, only gets 8 dice between it, and 2 of those are close to unmodified.

Strobe posted:

PS 7 isn't what's so necessary, it's "has EPT and isn't a PS 4 generic" that's necessary.

Repositions get exponentially more useful the further back in the move order you go, and Stay on Target plus BB-8 is a shitload of a reposition for an X-wing.

Yeah, true, I guess.

Still, it bugs me to use Ello and NOT do something with those tasty tasty white t-rolls.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's still there. I can't do the combo every turn, and Ello's ability means that my opponent has to respect the possibility of a white tallon roll or I can really punish them for it.

I might be tempted to swap Poe and Ello, but honestly Poe's ability is stronger and I like having a PS 10 more than I like having a PS 9 for the same points.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I just picked the biggest cannon because of Tie/D, not really looking at the text, but yeah, maybe Mangler would be better.

thespaceinvader posted:

WTF no.

Omega Leader gets Juke and Comm Relay, Stealth Device if you have spare points. This is basically the only good way to build him except JUUUUUST maybe VI.

And Vessery with HLC is just too expensive for what he does, not to mention, as noted, it not working with TIE/D. This whole list, even with the HLC, only gets 8 dice between it, and 2 of those are close to unmodified.

Why Stealth Device instead of Hull or Shield upgrade?

E: Oh yeah, 3 or less points, so not mangler.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 9, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Foolster41 posted:

I just picked the biggest cannon because of Tie/D, not really looking at the text, but yeah, maybe Mangler would be better.

Mangler Cannon is also bad. The TIE/D title lets you take a primary attack after a cannon that costs 3 of fewer points. That's limited to Ion, Flechette, and Tractor Beam upgrades.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mangled doesn't work either. Flechette, ion or tractor, take your pick

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

Because when your primary target doesn't get to mod his dice, and you always have an evade token and frequently a focus token as well, an extra green die is likely to save you more hits than a hull or shield. Especially if you can fly cannily and stay out of other peoples' attack range.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Foolster41 posted:

His ability and banked evades with Comm Relay makes it really really hard to land a hit on him if you're not focus firing. Stealth device makes it harder. You almost have to devote 2 or more ships to killing him just to have a reasonable chance of doing damage before he plinks something to death and moves onto the next target.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

So Swapping out the bad cannon, and chaning things around with OL:

Locking Buddies (97 Points)
“Omega Leader”* + Comms Relay,Juke, Stealth Device (29 Points)
Colonel Vessery* + TIE/D, Flachette Cannon, Preditor, Stealth Device (43 Points)
"Zeta Leader"*+Weapons Guidence+Stealth Device (25 Points)

I was considering Omega Ace+PTL, something I was looking at recently for a tournament coming up, but it sounds neat, but I'm not sure about the trade-off of getting a lock+focus every turn is worth having to deal with stress every other turn anyway.

Why is Comms relay+Juke better than Weapons Guidence+Preditor for Omega leader?

thespaceinvader posted:

Because when your primary target doesn't get to mod his dice, and you always have an evade token and frequently a focus token as well, an extra green die is likely to save you more hits than a hull or shield. Especially if you can fly cannily and stay out of other peoples' attack range.
Ah, that makes sense.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Think about how powerful both a guaranteed evade and Juke are when Omega Leader is locked onto someone, preventing them from modifying dice either on attack or defense.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Comms relay allows you to store the evade token that you can then use to turn a dice into a focus with juke: due to the way that OL works, it is a guaranteed one less evade against the target you have locked and makes him a lot more hard hitting.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Foolster41 posted:

Stealth Device gives you an extra green tie every time you're attacked until you take damage. A hull or shield point only prevents one damage EVER. An extra green die can help prevent several damage (potentially).

e: derp; what everyone else said :P

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Stealth Device gives you an extra green tie every time you're attacked until you take damage. A hull or shield point only prevents one damage EVER. An extra green die can help prevent several damage (potentially).

I like to say that if it saves you ONE damage, it's just as good as a hull upgrade.

With O'leader or Soontir, you're likely to get several uses out of it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tekopo posted:

Mangled doesn't work either. Flechette, ion or tractor, take your pick

I'm gonna say least give Flechettes a spin, so that my Scyk purchases weren't completely in vain.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, the stealth device statistically matches a hull upgrade only after three attacks against you (2 if focuses) also it is better the more agility dice you have, both due to how focus works and that you are more likely to survive to use it again when you have 3 dice as a base. I wouldn't use it on anything that doesn't have 3 dice base though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tekopo posted:

Well, the stealth device statistically matches a hull upgrade only after three attacks against you (2 if focuses) also it is better the more agility dice you have, both due to how focus works and that you are more likely to survive to use it again when you have 3 dice as a base. I wouldn't use it on anything that doesn't have 3 dice base though.

You can be me last week, taking range 3 shots on some TIEs who all had stealth devices:
"Hold on, you're rolling 5 green dice?"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Still doesn't matter if you use Ten "Sure Shot" Numb :smug:
I think the most green dice that you can throw is a cloaked, stealth device phantom at range 3 with an obstruction for a total of 7 green dice and Ten would still hit the bastard.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tekopo posted:

I think the most green dice that you can throw is a cloaked, stealth device phantom at range 3 with an obstruction for a total of 7 green dice and Ten would still hit the bastard.

Cloaked Talonbane Cobra or IG-88with a Stealth Device at range 3 through a rock will roll 8.

Edit: IG-88 can't equip the cloaking device.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's guaranteed if you roll eight green dice you'll roll eight blanks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

That's really nice.

Can FFG license Star Fox just long enough to release a set of Arwings and whatever Star Wolf flew?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Chemmy posted:

It's guaranteed if you roll eight green dice you'll roll eight blanks.

You might roll some eyeballs if you don't have focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Tekopo posted:

A Mist Hunter with Zuckuss Pilot who uses his ability at Range 3 against Talonbane + cloaked + stealth device + 3 rocks (which can happen with Range 1 spacing and the small rocks) + 2 Trandoshan Slavers with Tactical Jammers in the middle =1+ 4 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 2 = 13 green dice.

• Locked thread