Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

How many days a week do you drink!? I boozed pretty heavily in med school but a hundred unit week was pretty rare

I varied. The CQC might push me back to it though.

Edit: 1950 Carlsberg commemorate a visit to Copenhagen by Mr Winston Churchill by inventing a new beer, Carlsberg Special Brew.

EdBlackadder fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah that would be a heavy week for me probably average around a hundred plus the 30 fags a day I daren't think what my insides look like.

If you're not dead by 50 you're going to have pretty horrifying alcohol induced dementia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eat lots of thiamine.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35531436

This is an interesting story in so much that it seems the CPS were 'pressured' into bringing this to trial regardless of the fact it was clear this guy couldn't have done what was alleged and would never result in a conviction. Everyone that sees the cctv footage is baffled that they still took it to trial.

Then you have this one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35472617

It just makes me shake my head. They decide they have enough evidence to give the driver penalty points and a fine, but not enough to bring it to court? Its a very odd system we have in this country where the chances of securing a prosecution seem to be determined by a coin flip.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tesseraction posted:

I had actual body horrors from reading about Farage's smoking/drinking rate. The fact the man isn't dead already is testament to the longevity-extending powers of being loving evil.

Have you ever actually seen him drink the stuff? Most of the time he just holds it there.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah that would be a heavy week for me probably average around a hundred plus the 30 fags a day I daren't think what my insides look like.

I like it when people make posts like this: puts my 20 pints & 10 fags weekends into some sort of perspective.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
150 units is a lot more than i was expecting for some reason

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol that's 7 pints of stella a day every day each week

you loving lushes

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

StoneOfShame posted:

Oh everyday, something I picked up working the pub trade, biggest drinkers in the world pub workers are.

How many units are in a pint, 2? I work in a pub and play music so like 5-6 days a week I'm ending up on like 5 pints and a few whiskies. If I'm out with pals around double that. 100 units a week sounds about right.

Don't quite smoke 30 fags a day though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sounds like you're around 200+ units

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jose posted:

sounds like you're around 200+ units

Ouch. It's dangerous, a lot of the venues offer bar tabs for the musicians... Why NOT have 4 Guinness and 3 Bushmills Black in 2 hours if it's free? Lovely whisky that and all.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

serious gaylord posted:

It just makes me shake my head. They decide they have enough evidence to give the driver penalty points and a fine, but not enough to bring it to court? Its a very odd system we have in this country where the chances of securing a prosecution seem to be determined by a coin flip.

It's more that the points and fine were for a different offence than the hit and run.

It's annoying, but kind of understandable. They probably charged with with whatever they could instead of letting then get away scot free.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Let's play "spot the people who're going to die of cirrhosis before reaching retirement."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Coohoolin posted:

Ouch. It's dangerous, a lot of the venues offer bar tabs for the musicians... Why NOT have 4 Guinness and 3 Bushmills Black in 2 hours if it's free? Lovely whisky that and all.

Because its not free when you stop being able to work because you need a liver transplant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the hell is wrong with you people, I drink maybe once a week, as in, a drink, once a week. Some weeks I forget.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

Let's play "spot the people who're going to die of cirrhosis before reaching retirement."

its good of them not to cost the nhs money as they live for far too long

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

What the hell is wrong with you people, I drink maybe once a week, as in, a drink, once a week. Some weeks I forget.

It does explain a fair bit.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

JFairfax posted:

lol that's 7 pints of stella a day every day each week

you loving lushes

gently caress Stella give me a nice rhone valley red.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

Ach it's just this tumultuous period of my life. As soon as I get back to uni or get a non-pub job my consumption will go right back to normal levels like it was back when I was studying and working full time.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I would highly recommend some of you start taking 1 ideally 2 days a week off the sauce. If you find it too difficult please seek professional help.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coohoolin posted:

How many units are in a pint, 2?

Whatever percent it is, that's how many units per litre.

4% beer will be 4 units per litre, so yeah roughly 2 per pint.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Most lager is 3 units a pint.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What the gently caress lager are you drinking

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Reminder that new alcohol guidelines put the most you should be drinking a week at two pints.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

i'm not sure this is correct based on what i see on a can

edit: maybe it is

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I would highly recommend some of you start taking 1 ideally 2 days a week off the sauce. If you find it too difficult please seek professional help.

I do this already anyway. I'm not gonna pretend I'd be able to quit completely or anything like that without help but it's not like it stops me from doing what I'm supposed to. That's what my insomnia is for.

I remember the week my work stocked Cromarty's AKA IPA. 6.7% and goes down smooth as poo poo. That was a blurry week.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

i'm not sure this is correct

That's probably not how it's calculated, sure, but it is accurate. Look on the back of any bottle you like and do the maths.

e/ apparently that actually is how it works, a unit is 10ml of pure alcohol and the percentage is by volume. So yeah X% = X units per litre by definition.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 9, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you realise your insomnia is caused by your drinking right

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Reminder that new alcohol guidelines put the most you should be drinking a week at two pints.

Alcohol guidelines are a westmonster plot to wage psychological warfare against the hardy Scot and break his confidence, rendering him as weak and pathetic as his southron sassenach brethren.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Drinking is the only rational reaction to the state of society.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

you realise your insomnia is caused by your drinking right

A lot is starting to make sense now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Party Boat posted:

I quite liked making fun of the Farage plan crash pictures until I found out that the pilot later suffered from severe depression and eventually killed himself.

Poor sod, I'd probably do myself as well if I'd had a chance to kill Nige and failed. :(

Drinking usually gives me a headache in a hurry, so I don't do much of it these days. Occasional cider, even more occasional bit of rum or something. Probably averages like three units a month. I also don't smoke and never have. I don't do illegal drugs either.

I'm loving boring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

i'm not sure people are aware how quickly you get minor withdrawal from booze even if its just that you sleep like poo poo for a couple of nights

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
alcoholism is for chumps 420 smoke weed every day

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That's probably not how it's calculated, sure, but it is accurate. Look on the back of any bottle you like and do the maths.

That's exactly how it's calculated. 1 unit = 10ml alcohol.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I literally only just bothered looking it up, and only knew it previously from working it out myself, because I spend too much time looking at bottles and not enough time emptying them.

XMNN posted:

alcoholism is for chumps 420 smoke weed every day

But weed doesn't taste good! :beerpal:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The only math I ever needed was typing 5318008 into my calculator and turning it upside down.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

serious gaylord posted:

Wow what a zinger.

gently caress off.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35531436

This is an interesting story in so much that it seems the CPS were 'pressured' into bringing this to trial regardless of the fact it was clear this guy couldn't have done what was alleged and would never result in a conviction. Everyone that sees the cctv footage is baffled that they still took it to trial.

Then you have this one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35472617

The first one seems ridiculous, but CPS say they had enough evidence to bring it to court. At least the dude was found not guilty.

The second one, they couldn't prove who was driving so he was charged with the most serious offence available, which is failing to provide details of who was driving. What else could they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

The first one seems ridiculous, but CPS say they had enough evidence to bring it to court. At least the dude was found not guilty.

The second one, they couldn't prove who was driving so he was charged with the most serious offence available, which is failing to provide details of who was driving. What else could they do?

There was much less evidence for the first than there is for the 2nd. From the way the guy who was hit by the car tells it, the police were sure it was the man that was driving, but the CPS would not take it forward. I also find it absurd that failing to declare who was driving can essentially make you immune to prosecution for crimes like this. I imagine if the bike rider had been killed this wouldn't have stopped them bringing it to court, but I guess its too expensive if someones just badly injured instead of dead, which also makes the first story even more absurd. I'd be really interested to see the average cost of a prosecution for the CPS.

• Locked thread