Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Could be a brilliant cross marketing opportunity for Hasbro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't suggest trying some of the more esoteric types without a more full understanding of the format and which cards are key to them. You can't just stuff 2 spider spawnings in your deck and call it a day. That leaves the more linear decks:

gw aggressive with lots of travel preparations is probably the 'best' archetype, subject to the usual overdrafting and seating caveats.

self mill with zombies is fun. Werewolves can be very good. Vampires never worked out for me. Grixis control is fun too.

It's a very deep and rewarding format. Enjoy!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

JerryLee posted:

'
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel they played Morph safely? What would you have liked to see instead? I'm not saying you're wrong, it just didn't occur to me to see their implementation of it as particularly timid or unimaginative (I'm more annoyed that they did two variants on it purely for the sake of doing variants).

Also, not wanting to personally play in a rare redraft draft is one thing, and I can see being legitimately annoyed if there's only one LGS for you to draft at but it's camped by people who insist on rare redrafting, but a lot of you guys seem really upset that rare redrafting exists somewhere in the world.

Well, aside from the 5CMC rule (which I felt was an overreaction to the Battering Craghorn/Skirk Arsonist problem) there were relatively few morphs where the flip was an exciting moment. Icefeather Aven was probably my favorite one of the bunch, and Ashcloud Phoenix was pretty cool (at mythic). The original ONS block, which I understand I have rose tinted glasses for but loved a lot, had cool cards like Blistering Firecat, Bane of the Living, and at lower rarities Echo Tracer, Liege of the Axe, Disruptive Pitmage, Patron of the Wild and Frontline Strategist. There were tons more, those are just the ones I'm looking at in my box of old C/U cards that I remember loving. There were also some really cool morph conditions like Putrid Raptor and Raven Guild Initiate and that's an area of design with a TON of space left. They kind of touched on it with the reveal cycle (all of which were also very cool, imo) but didn't explore it too much. Also noncreature morphs are great and I wish we had more.

The stuff I like is not very NWO friendly but Morph is kind of a not very NWO friendly mechanic and I think if they weren't going to try to push the envelope a little on it they shouldn't have brought it back. As it was it felt more like a retread than a reinvention, unlike Devotion which really was a lot cooler than Chroma.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Oh my god rare redrafting in an Oath/Battle draft would be the rudest loving thing. "Hey good job opening an expedition for me noob it's mine now hahahahahaha"
Rare redrafting is a bad, bad idea unless you are playing with people at an equal skill level, and it's never appropriate at a sanctioned event. Lowering the price of a draft by $5 is not worth getting screwed out of the money card you opened. Even now that I'm good enough to often win drafts at my LGS I still think it's bullshit and exists in order to try to steal valuable cards that other people opened.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mcmagic posted:

Speaking of Innistrad Draft... My LGS is having one in a few weeks and I have no idea how to draft the format. Anyone know of a good primer?

I am going to throw words at you now!

Decks to Be Aware Of:

G/W Aggro: This is nominally human tribal, except the only real payoff for that is Hamlet Captain (who is pretty sweet imo, but not exactly something you force humans for). The card that really makes this deck tick is Travel Preparations. Travel Preparations is really goddamn good. You play a lot of 2/2 and 2/3s and the like in this deck, and Travel Prep is frequently enough to push them over the edge of your opponents (2/3) blockers. The equipment is good, especially Butcher's Cleaver.

W/U Fliers: It's a skies deck, there are spirits that are good, pretty straightforward. Butcher's Cleaver is good, especially when you stick it on Invisible Stalker. Invisible Stalker + equipment (*especially* cleaver) was pretty much the Pack Rat of Innistrad. Silent Departure is probably the best blue common. Grasp of whatever that puts it on top of their library is also good, but pretty expensive.

U/B Zombies: This is about milling yourself (good ways to do this are Deranged Assistant, who ramps you, and Armored Skaab, who's a 1/4 with ETB self-mill). Using the creatures milled this way, you put out otherwise grossly-undercosted cards like Stitched Drake, which is a 3/4 flyer for 3 holy poo poo (except you have to exile a creature from your graveyard to cast it).

B/R: this is supposed to be vampire aggro, but... it's just not really that great. Doesn't really add up to a ton, and you'll mostly just be playing Good Cards (like Brimstone Volley, which is a *very* Good Card, or Victim of Night or Tribute to Hunger). The 4 mana 2/2 flyer (I think) that drains your opponent for one every time any creature dies is goddamn absurd.

R/G: Woofs and werewoofs! Not as much of a Deck as GW, WU, or UB, but more of one than RB. Generally, you're gonna do aggressive things, play various flavors of woof and attack. Be prepared to skip a turn to flip your werewoofs--it's not doing nothing, it's making all your creatures ginormous. If the front side is garbage (specifically thinking of Village Ironsmith and the 4 mana 3/2), the backside probably isn't enough to make it a great card, but if it's reasonable on the front, the back is great. Love me some Villagers of Estwald.

G/U/B: I've got GU and BG wrapped up here because they're both about the graveyard synergies. Spider spawning is a thing but honestly, as sweet as that deck is and as much as I love it, I would advise against it. Lots of people want it real bad. But if you just do it for value with things like Gnaw to the Bone or Graveyard Wurm (or even Spider Spawning purely for value, you don't have to combo for it to be good), you're in a good spot.

U/R: BURNING VENGEANCE. This is a sick control deck. Burning Vengeance is a sweet, sweet uncommon, and the more you can trigger it the better this deck is. You'll probably hide behind fortress crabs and burn them out with Vengeance and maybe the 6 mana 4/2 that burns them for two whenever a creature dies. Geistflame is good! Silent Departure is good! Every flashback is a free shock holy wow!

W/R: CRAP.

W/B: Tokens! This deck got a lot better with Dark Ascension with Lingering Souls and the human sacrifice theme, but you still get a sweet anthem and some good token makers here.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Words to live by, really.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
^^^

This is good. Thanks.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

Oh my god rare redrafting in an Oath/Battle draft would be the rudest loving thing. "Hey good job opening an expedition for me noob it's mine now hahahahahaha"
Rare redrafting is a bad, bad idea unless you are playing with people at an equal skill level, and it's never appropriate at a sanctioned event. Lowering the price of a draft by $5 is not worth getting screwed out of the money card you opened. Even now that I'm good enough to often win drafts at my LGS I still think it's bullshit and exists in order to try to steal valuable cards that other people opened.

All the stores just let you buy out the pack if you open an expedition. It ruins my dream of being able to turn one strip mine someone in booster draft.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

Speaking of Innistrad Draft... My LGS is having one in a few weeks and I have no idea how to draft the format. Anyone know of a good primer?

http://manadeprived.com/drafting-innistrad-for-dummies/

Money cards from Innistrad: http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=ISD

The spell lands are all good, but the B/R one is worst of them. Drownyard can be unbeatable by itself.

Invisible Stalker + Butcher's Cleaver is very tough to race, and is the worst feeling to lose to.

edit - delver is trap in limited. You will not have enough spell to flip it.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

And then we're back to the old "those dumb newbies should clearly spend dozens if not hundreds of hours researching this game and its formats in great detail before even considering stepping into my LGS" elitist horseshit. The game should be fun, first and foremost; rare redrafting invariably ends with 1-2 happy people and 6-7 people feeling lovely. I will gladly pay an extra $5 if it means everyone goes home with something other than bulk.
Unless you're drafting an incredibly bad set this doesn't seem likely at all? Last week the person in 8th place got a BFZ dual. If anything it seems like a redraft makes it more likely that everyone goes home with at least one reasonable rare, rather than just opening 3 bulk rares due to bad luck.

The place I go to doesn't redraft expeditions though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yawgmoth posted:

And then we're back to the old "those dumb newbies should clearly spend dozens if not hundreds of hours researching this game and its formats in great detail before even considering stepping into my LGS" elitist horseshit. The game should be fun, first and foremost; rare redrafting invariably ends with 1-2 happy people and 6-7 people feeling lovely. I will gladly pay an extra $5 if it means everyone goes home with something other than bulk.

New people deserve to play.
New people deserve to win, or at least have an enjoyable time losing.
New people deserve to have some small chance of getting something of value from a draft.

Rare redrafting violates two of these on the regular.

I have no problem with rare redrafting as long as the store marks it as such before the event and spells out what it means so noobs don't show up and get upset.

JerryLee posted:

'
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel they played Morph safely? What would you have liked to see instead? I'm not saying you're wrong, it just didn't occur to me to see their implementation of it as particularly timid or unimaginative (I'm more annoyed that they did two variants on it purely for the sake of doing variants).

Morph was definitely weaker than it was in Onslaught because you couldn't get blown out the way you could in Onslaught unless you made a bunch of unwise attacks/blocks. But WOTC has been leery of bullshit blowouts for a while.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 9, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

I have no problem with rare redrafting as long as the store marks it as such before the event and spells out what it means so noobs don't show up and get upset.

I don't think anyone has a real problem with it when they actually point it out and explain it, but from most of the stories I've seen posted in this thread (and its previous incarnations) a lot of places just don't do that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

I really want to know what the Clue tokens are going to look like.

Only an idiot isn't going to run

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Maybe we can get Clue TM-shaped candy for FNM or the prerelease? :3:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Everblight posted:

https://twitter.com/DarklandsMierce/status/697084284595806208

he's signing at fan conventions in Heaven with Quinton Hoover :(

drat, Wayne England's art was some of my favorite. RIP

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Only an idiot isn't going to run

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Got em!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

So they weren't up front and you gave them your cards anyway?

Should have noped right out of there.

No, I knew this place did rare redrafts and had been in a few already. Then I played at one draft, opened up the money card of the set, and lost it because I went 2-1 instead of 3-0.

I came out on top with value because our pod managed to open up a lot of valuable mythics when M14 was new, but losing it because I didn't play well enough or whatever turned me off of doing a redraft ever again real quick.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

No, I knew this place did rare redrafts and had been in a few already. Then I played at one draft, opened up the money card of the set, and lost it because I went 2-1 instead of 3-0.

I came out on top with value because our pod managed to open up a lot of valuable mythics when M14 was new, but losing it because I didn't play well enough or whatever turned me off of doing a redraft ever again real quick.

I can't imagine rare redrafting in such places becomes anything but people sneaking in their own resealed packs (with bomb dollar rares of course) and replacing the packs you received at the front with them. It's win/win.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Please bring Garruk Relentless back to standard! I guess probably in Eldritch Moon since I didn't see him in the SOI card.

Still the best flip walker.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Please bring Garruk Relentless back to standard! I guess probably in Eldritch Moon since I didn't see him in the SOI card.

Still the best flip walker.

The dude is sealed away on Zendikar. He isn't coming back any time soon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ramos posted:

I don't think he's anywhere in particular other than attempting to murder Liliana wherever she happens to be. The last thing we knew of that happened to him was in the Duels 2015 story where Jace did some sort of poo poo on him and then an Ice-Powers Planeswalker confronted him to try and force him to go to Innistrad (at which point Garruk murdered them).

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I can't imagine rare redrafting in such places becomes anything but people sneaking in their own resealed packs (with bomb dollar rares of course) and replacing the packs you received at the front with them. It's win/win.

Up until recently, redrafting was the norm for my store.
Due to unknown reasons, they've said its not the norm anymore, but that if a whole pod agrees to it we can do it.

Our pods are roughly split down ability levels, and the "top" pod (which i am in) will generally choose to redraft. Product is handed out moments before the draft begins, so there's little time for replacements, and if we ever caught someone of it, they'd be out the door, and told they could come back when they'd learned.

Redrafting allows us to draft better, as there's no longer the consideration of "do i draft this $5 dud, or this sweet uncommon"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

No?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mehall posted:

Up until recently, redrafting was the norm for my store.
Due to unknown reasons, they've said its not the norm anymore, but that if a whole pod agrees to it we can do it.

Our pods are roughly split down ability levels, and the "top" pod (which i am in) will generally choose to redraft. Product is handed out moments before the draft begins, so there's little time for replacements, and if we ever caught someone of it, they'd be out the door, and told they could come back when they'd learned.

Redrafting allows us to draft better, as there's no longer the consideration of "do i draft this $5 dud, or this sweet uncommon"

Redrafts are fine when all 8 people agree to it

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ramos posted:

No he's not. Jace just used part of a hedron to stop Garruk from turning in to a demon (kinda like Ob Nixilis) [this was on Shandalar, for what it's worth]. Last we saw him a planeswalker from Innistrad showed up to take him to Avacyn but instead got murdered as heck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Garruk pretty much went full evil and is all about Planeswalkers being the Greatest Prey of All. We'll see him again when we do a plane that's basically The Most Dangerous Game in MTG expansion form.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

Garruk pretty much went full evil and is all about Planeswalkers being the Greatest Prey of All. We'll see him again when we do a plane that's basically The Most Dangerous Game in MTG expansion form.

So muraganda, then

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I only redraft in home games. We always have teams and the winning team distributes the money rares between them (usually by drafting) which really ups the motivation to do well and not let your teammates down.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
The more discussions I see about rare redrafting/#mtgfinance/the Reserve List/reprinting Modern staples, the more I think that it would be beneficial for Cardboard: The Commodifying to have its own thread.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

The more discussions I see about rare redrafting/#mtgfinance/the Reserve List/reprinting Modern staples, the more I think that it would be beneficial for Cardboard: The Commodifying to have its own thread.

What would we talk about in here then?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GeneX posted:

So muraganda, then

I mean, this would rule as a plot and plane so I can only hope.

Like, the Power Rangers go to Muraganda to retrieve Garruk for [PLOT REASONS] since Garruk went there to hunt the crazy beasts there, but then when they get there they realize they can't leave and Garruk's hunting them down. The plot ends with Jace getting decapitated.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 10, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Ramos posted:

"Garruk pulled the Hebron out of himself and is mostly but not entirely healed of the veil curse."

I just want to play a cool planeswalker from my favorite standard ever.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

"Garruk pulled the Hebron out of himself and is mostly but not entirely healed of the veil curse."

I just want to play a cool planeswalker from my favorite standard ever.

Same

That's why I want to play Jaya Ballard, Task Mage.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zoness posted:

Same

That's why I want to play DRS.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zoness posted:

Same

Daretti is cool and all but I'm pretty sure they'd have sold a hell of a lot more Commander decks if it was Jaya Ballard, Planeswalker.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

GeneX posted:

Triple Innistrad is an amazing draft set, basically.

What about Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored? Do they hold up, or just the original of the block?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

What would we talk about in here then?

the lore stuff going on is about a billion times more interesting than people discussing making pennies by spending dollars on cards.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Kylaer posted:

What about Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored? Do they hold up, or just the original of the block?

INN INN DA is still good but the pack of DA is just worse than triple INN. Avacyn Restored is one of the worst modern limited formats ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Avacyn Restored is one of the worst modern limited formats ever.

Super splashy bombs, bad color balance, terrible removal, and one of the themes is blinking things so what removal you do have probably won't even hit, and a shallow card pool. It's bad. Oh also Miracles though they fall under splashy bombs.

• Locked thread