Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think 3DRealms have been in a slump for a long time now.

Right you are :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

The truly hosed up thing is that there's no nod to Metroid Prime on that list, which is hosed up because it's a top 10 game of any genre of all time.

I was listing PC fps games. If I were to include consoles I'd also include Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Halo...

Like I said. It's an incomplete very flawed list.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyokoTK posted:

The truly hosed up thing is that there's no nod to Metroid Prime on that list, which is hosed up because it's a top 10 game of any genre of all time.

Metroid Prime did what most games try for, and that's make you feel like you're there. The atmosphere was practically palpable, it was so thick.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
It becomes a pretty miserable list if you dislike military shooters and exclude games that don't just give you a gun and things to shoot:

2000: Daikatana, NOLF
2001: SSam, Undying, RTCW, Halo
2002: NOLF2
2003: Star Trek: Elite Force II
2004: FC, D3, HL2
2005: Fear
2006: Prey, HL2e1, You are Empty
2007: HL2e2
2008: -
2009: Fear 2
2010: -
2011: -
2012: FC3
2013: Bioshock Infinity
2014: -

post-2000 and using this list for ref

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first-person_shooters

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Segmentation Fault posted:

FPS game

2000: Hitman
2002: Hitman 2
2006: Hitman: Blood Money

Uuuhhhh.....

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Uuuhhhh.....

They all have pretty good first person modes. I played the whole of Hitman 2 in first person and loved it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Yholl, the author of Doom The Roguelike Arsenal (DoomRLA), is working on a new mod. Which is effectively a lighter, faster version of DoomRLA. Which is good if you got horribly confused with all the modules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vwq0Q96hEs

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Undying! What a lovely game! There is just something so wonderfully athmospheric about it. It's not scary in any way, and the ending levels really dropped the ball (in typical trashy horror-media fashion). The spells are great fun to use and there are lots of diverse fun weapons and fun enemies. And lots of weird places you go through in the game. I recently finished a scythe (from the point you get it) and spells only, no healthpacks playthrough, which sucked but was perfectly doable.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

About all I know about Undying is that A) it's pretty good, and B) this

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Undying! What a lovely game! There is just something so wonderfully athmospheric about it. It's not scary in any way, and the ending levels really dropped the ball (in typical trashy horror-media fashion). The spells are great fun to use and there are lots of diverse fun weapons and fun enemies. And lots of weird places you go through in the game. I recently finished a scythe (from the point you get it) and spells only, no healthpacks playthrough, which sucked but was perfectly doable.

I love Undying so much, the otherworldly levels and the brooding yet totally doofy atmosphere made it such a treat to play. It reminds me of something like Deadly Premonition mixed with the Cthulhu mythos, this weird mix of uncanny, cheesy writing and straight-up mind-bending horror has such a unique feel to it. It's a shame the last part isn't that fun to play. I remember reading how they had a lot more planned for the game, including a better ending and even multiplayer modes, but time constraints caused them to severely cut on the content around the last levels. And it's painfully obvious. Regardless it's excellent.

I couldn't imagine doing a scythe-only playthrough. It's a badass weapon, but it had too many drawbacks for me, especially considering I easily had enough phosphorous shells to re-enact Vietnam and napalm the gently caress out of anything that moved at any given time.

Shadow Hog posted:

About all I know about Undying is that A) it's pretty good, and B) this

You forgot this, which is objectively the best thing in any game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkY21hvKNM

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rocket Pan posted:

Yholl, the author of Doom The Roguelike Arsenal (DoomRLA), is working on a new mod. Which is effectively a lighter, faster version of DoomRLA. Which is good if you got horribly confused with all the modules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vwq0Q96hEs

Well, color me interested. I enjoy DoomRLA but some streamlining would be interesting. Hopefully he makes it public :)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Wamdoodle posted:

Well, color me interested. I enjoy DoomRLA but some streamlining would be interesting. Hopefully he makes it public :)

I've never tried DoomRPG or DoomRLA, because whenever it's brought up in the thread, it sounds like getting it set up is really difficult. What's the difference between the two?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Max Wilco posted:

I've never tried DoomRPG or DoomRLA, because whenever it's brought up in the thread, it sounds like getting it set up is really difficult. What's the difference between the two?

Doom RPG has leveling up and stat distribution. Doom the RogueLike Arsenal has random weapon drops and spawns but without the stat distribution. Doom RPG, in my opinion, absolutely needs DoomRLA to get any enjoyment out of it. I can play DoomRLA and still have a good time with it. Doom RPG was not nearly engrossing to me. I remember it being confusing trying to set it up but DoomRPG has a launcher to make it easier. I'm sure someone can go into better detail as I'm not good at explaining things very well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

khwarezm posted:

Uuuhhhh.....

My favorite FPS is now Metal Gear Solid 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

They all have pretty good first person modes. I played the whole of Hitman 2 in first person and loved it.

They're not really designed around it, though, and it looks janky as hell (47's guns are always tiny).

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
i had an very unexpected surprise today. a game that's been in non-digital purgatory since it was released over a decade ago finally made its way onto steam and gog.

MEN OF VALOR, an actually pretty decent vietnam war fps from the same folks that made medal of honor: allied assault. take your pic:

http://www.gog.com/game/men_of_valor

http://store.steampowered.com/app/411330/

i remember playing the demo of this in early 2004 on some compaq presario 5200 that had an nvidia 5200 fx. it took it like a champ at low settings.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Undying is a really cool FPS and it spoiled me for games that do guns in one hand and magic in the other because it does it better than any modern one I've played. Good guns and good spells.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

loga mira posted:

It becomes a pretty miserable list if you dislike military shooters and exclude games that don't just give you a gun and things to shoot:

2000: Daikatana, NOLF
2001: SSam, Undying, RTCW, Halo
2002: NOLF2
2003: Star Trek: Elite Force II
2004: FC, D3, HL2
2005: Fear
2006: Prey, HL2e1, You are Empty
2007: HL2e2
2008: -
2009: Fear 2
2010: -
2011: -
2012: FC3
2013: Bioshock Infinity
2014: -

post-2000 and using this list for ref

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first-person_shooters

I guess that Crysis games don't show there. Same for Painkiller, Quake 4, the other two bioshock games and so...

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Geight posted:

Undying is a really cool FPS and it spoiled me for games that do guns in one hand and magic in the other because it does it better than any modern one I've played. Good guns and good spells.

Since Bioshock Infinite was a massive disappointment in this respect, I'll have to go dig up Undying and give it a try.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Geight posted:

I haven't played Undying, but Bioshock 2 did this pretty well! A lot better than the first game anyway.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Unreal series on Steam for 6$/e, and apparently UT3 got a new community pack.
Also all of Night Dive rereleases are on sale, except NAM, because this game is way too new for any kind of promo.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 10, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

EYE: Divine Cybermancy, for fucksake.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Painkiller

Yeah, how come everyone keeps mentioning Painkiller? I thought it was a sluggish SS clone, don't remember anyone liking it very much then. There was a wave of crappy SS clones, Painkiller, that Korean game, another one set in ancient Greece, what was it called? I thought the whole arena FPS thing was for those devs a cheap way to skip the hard part of making a game, you know, maps, encounter design etc.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

And Bulletstorm, Hard Reset, Rage, Serious Sam 3, Duke Nukem Forever

loga mira posted:

Yeah, how come everyone keeps mentioning Painkiller? I thought it was a sluggish SS clone, don't remember anyone liking it very much then. There was a wave of crappy SS clones, Painkiller, that Korean game, another one set in ancient Greece, what was it called? I thought the whole arena FPS thing was for those devs a cheap way to skip the hard part of making a game, you know, maps, encounter design etc.

Jesus man, how were you playing PK that you're calling it sluggish? Jumping gives you such a speed boost it's incredible, and then there are cards modifying speed and adding slow-motion on command. Some of the most fun weapon combos since UT. And while there are some incredible weak maps in PK (Bridge!!), there are some exceptionally well designed levels. Game was made by some Q1 veterans, Chmielarz spend most of the late 90's playing QuakeWorld and often cited id's game as the inspiration.
PK is at least league higher than Will Rock or Nitro Family, no actually Nitro Family is near bottom because it has some of the boxiest levels from the era. Will Rock was mediocre, but it wasn't horribly bad also.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 10, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

painkiller is only sluggish if you never touched the jump key

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

It's been what, twelve years, all I really remember is it didn't feel as good as SS. But there were cool bosses yeah. Which one should I get of these if I want the main game? they're all less than a buck

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Black Edition, and if you're feeling generous, Hell & Damnation. H&D is sort of remake/reboot for UE3, it has some questionable changes and idiotic humour but plays okay. Black Ed is the definite game, rest of them are the equivalent of D!Zone.

Remember to use the jump button a lot, collect cards and use them where needed, look for secrets, oh and you can drop down the console and change FOV with command, eg. fov 110. The first episode is kinda slow, but with each next level everything grows in scale.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I'll post impressions when I'm done with it if that's ok with this thread. It's -75% right now on Steam, lucky.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm trying to think of games I would consider "faster" than painkiller as to make it feel sluggish.

Uhhhh quake3

uhhhhhh

Maybe portal if you count firing yourself out of portals?

Yeaaaah I'm not seeing it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So I got this game at a goodwill for 99 cents called "Codename: Outbreak", it's an FPS from 2001 that has some interresting choices: you're always playing in a squad of two characters you switch between in the single player mode (which makes it really suitable for co-op) and you only ever have one gun - but it gets upgrades and modules you switch between to change it from rifle to machine gun etc.

Anyone else ever play it?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

laserghost posted:

And Bulletstorm, Hard Reset, Rage, Serious Sam 3, Duke Nukem Forever

You're all forgetting the biggest offender ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXhFVqNgQs

Will Rock

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

fishmech posted:

So I got this game at a goodwill for 99 cents called "Codename: Outbreak"

Anyone else ever play it?

Not played it myself, but if I remember right, it's by GSC Game World, who went on to make the STALKER series. It definitely looks like a proto-STALKER kinda game from screenshots.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

newmans_owned posted:

i had an very unexpected surprise today. a game that's been in non-digital purgatory since it was released over a decade ago finally made its way onto steam and gog.

MEN OF VALOR, an actually pretty decent vietnam war fps from the same folks that made medal of honor: allied assault. take your pic:

http://www.gog.com/game/men_of_valor

http://store.steampowered.com/app/411330/

i remember playing the demo of this in early 2004 on some compaq presario 5200 that had an nvidia 5200 fx. it took it like a champ at low settings.
The Vietnam games didn't take off nearly as much as the WWII games did (somewhat understandably) so I never played any of them. I have a hard time imagining how they translated that conflict into games. Did they all bring up US atrocities? Were all the levels "take this hill and then get airlifted out" or "patrol this jungle?" Was the M16 as useless as it was in real life? Did you get penalized for lugging around a massive M14 instead?

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

There was a game made in some former East Block counrty, called Vietcong, it had all sorts of jungle traps, and exploring those tunnels with a hand gun. Felt pretty dark and desperate most of the time. Lots of awesome guns too.

Ugh, I don't know about Paikiller. Same enemies spawning endlessly out of thin air, running around with the same gun for half an hour, base movement speed is still low and I'm not gonna hop around in a SP game for no reason like a retard. Finding "secret areas" by accident. The options are very considerate though, lets me set the mspeed low enough, mwheel set right by default, disabling head bob, crosshair options. I'm hoping it gets better later on, at least start mixing up monster classes.

e. actually scratch the hopping part, feels good and turning is effortless, so it's fine.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 10, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Decon posted:

Since Bioshock Infinite was a massive disappointment in this respect, I'll have to go dig up Undying and give it a try.

I recommend it! I hear Clive Barker's Jericho is awful though, so don't go looking for that if you end up liking Undying.

RyokoTK posted:

I haven't played Undying, but Bioshock 2 did this pretty well! A lot better than the first game anyway.

Yeah Bioshock 2 definitely did it a lot better than 1, and apparently Infinite. Bioshock 2 just did a lot of stuff pretty well, even if the story was super phoned-in and unnecessary.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm trying to think of games I would consider "faster" than painkiller as to make it feel sluggish.

Uhhhh quake3

uhhhhhh

Maybe portal if you count firing yourself out of portals?

Yeaaaah I'm not seeing it.

Doom and Build engine games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Geight posted:

Yeah Bioshock 2 definitely did it a lot better than 1, and apparently Infinite. Bioshock 2 just did a lot of stuff pretty well, even if the story was super phoned-in and unnecessary.

Bioshock 2 is one of my favorite FPS games, and it really is just solid execution of the gameplay concept from start to finish. Pretty much all of the mechanics from the first game were refined and streamlined, making it a super sleek and visceral shootmans experience. It is a completely unnecessary game when you talk about story, and of course it clearly existed just to cash in on the name, but drat if it's not just a really enjoyable game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Bioshock 2 is one of my favorite FPS games, and it really is just solid execution of the gameplay concept from start to finish. Pretty much all of the mechanics from the first game were refined and streamlined, making it a super sleek and visceral shootmans experience. It is a completely unnecessary game when you talk about story, and of course it clearly existed just to cash in on the name, but drat if it's not just a really enjoyable game.

Yeah that's how I feel about it too. I hear Minerva's Den is like the most interesting thing done in the Bioshock universe, but I never played it. Also the hacking deserves a special mention, just for being something you can do on the fly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Geight posted:

Yeah that's how I feel about it too. I hear Minerva's Den is like the most interesting thing done in the Bioshock universe, but I never played it. Also the hacking deserves a special mention, just for being something you can do on the fly.

Mechanically, B2 is the best out of the trilogy. Once you get all of your weapons, it's REALLY fun. Story-wise, it's nothing like the arc and twist of the first 75% of the first game. Not that that was incredibly groundbreaking, but there's nothing that 'neat' in 2. Minerva's Den sort of brings it back to that, so that's good, but it's short. If they had made the story/plot of Minerva's Den the entirety of B2, that probably would have worked best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Geight posted:

Bioshock 2 fixes a lot of things about B1, yeah. The hacking got really old in B1 so they replaced it which was good, switching between magic and weapons was kinda awkward so in B2 you have both available at all times which is great, right hand and left hand.

And B2 also adds the underwater walking around stuff that was planned for B1 but didn't make it for release.

As for Minerva's Den, yeah its amazing and the best part of B2.