Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

To be fair most jelly belongs in the trash.

Well, adulterated statist jelly. Not that there's anything wrong with adulterants, as long as they were added beneath the aegis of market freedom.

You haven't experienced truly spreadable preserves until you've tried them with lead additive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Libertarians are incapable of eating jelly. The philosophy of individual liberty is incompatible with all forms of jams, preserves, and marmalades. A libertarian sees all berries not as members of fruit spreads, but as individuals who should be judged by their texture and sweetness, just as my personal hero Dr Martin Luther King Jr. advocated.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

4. Take the kids and demand weregild for their release.

Members of the Blue Spruce clan approach the ring again. "Your weaponthane, Jrodefeld, has not repented his ways. He has turned to kidnapping children now, and demands the worth of a weaponthane each to ransom them. We demand that our children are returned and Jrodefeld punished."

When asked, Jrodefeld says "These Blue Statists had aggressed against me by entering my lands without my consent after I homesteaded this earth. That they are children is immaterial - if their fascist clanmates want them returned, it is my right as an Orlanthi to be recompensed for the trouble."

1) "Jrodefeld is no Orlanthi, and you may do with him as you wish."
2) Force Jrodefeld to return the children, violating the NAP.
3) Force Jrodefeld to return the children and strip him of his weaponthane status, violating the NAP and the Second Amendment.
4) "Well, if you think about it, you were going to vaccinate these children, weren't you? So, in reality, Jrodefed is actually preventing aggression against them by defying Big Pharma."
5) "We will deal with him ourselves. :chef:"
6) "Ron Paul end the Fed."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

theshim posted:

Members of the Blue Spruce clan approach the ring again. "Your weaponthane, Jrodefeld, has not repented his ways. He has turned to kidnapping children now, and demands the worth of a weaponthane each to ransom them. We demand that our children are returned and Jrodefeld punished."

When asked, Jrodefeld says "These Blue Statists had aggressed against me by entering my lands without my consent after I homesteaded this earth. That they are children is immaterial - if their fascist clanmates want them returned, it is my right as an Orlanthi to be recompensed for the trouble."

3) Force Jrodefeld to return the children and strip him of his weaponthane status, violating the NAP and the Second Amendment.
4) "Well, if you think about it, you were going to vaccinate these children, weren't you? So, in reality, Jrodefed is actually preventing aggression against them by defying Big Pharma."

:worship:

Although I think 4) should have been "You have to remember, those children were no angels..."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

We rely on the Blue Spruce tribe to supplement our cattle herds, we can't afford to put that agreement in jeopardy. Give Jrod to them, kill two birds with one stone.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Jrod won't even answer my question about his favorite black movie because of what a deliberate ho he is. I asked it in the most earnest fashion possible

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The best proof that someone is racist is if they argue that they cannot be racist due to the nature of a group they belong to. "Libertarians can't racist, we're individualists!", "Christians cannot be racist, we're all God's children!", etc. Being against racism isn't about identifying racist thoughts and actions of yourself and not thinking/doing them, it's a badge you iron onto your coat and show proudly. You've reached Unracist status. You are forever free from self reflection. Go forth and build a new Apartheid, hero.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

DrProsek posted:

The best proof that someone is racist is if they argue that they cannot be racist due to the nature of a group they belong to. "Libertarians can't racist, we're individualists!", "Christians cannot be racist, we're all God's children!", etc. Being against racism isn't about identifying racist thoughts and actions of yourself and not thinking/doing them, it's a badge you iron onto your coat and show proudly. You've reached Unracist status. You are forever free from self reflection. Go forth and build a new Apartheid, hero.

Someone on these forums described it pretty well: "racist" just means "a thing that I'm not" at this point. The actual literal white nationalist who popped into the old thread insisted he wasn't a racist, because he wasn't a part of the Klan or the Aryan Nation.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Jrod won't even answer my question about his favorite black movie because of what a deliberate ho he is. I asked it in the most earnest fashion possible

Boss friend of the family is my answer if anyone was wondering

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

Someone on these forums described it pretty well: "racist" just means "a thing that I'm not" at this point. The actual literal white nationalist who popped into the old thread insisted he wasn't a racist, because he wasn't a part of the Klan or the Aryan Nation.

They seem to understand, however dimly, that the word connotes something bad, something undesirable or, at bare minimum, something that at least results in social censure. What they don't get, likely because they are reflexive jackoffs incapable of introspection, is why it's bad to be a racist or the real harm racism does. You can see this seemingly willful ignorance drip from Jrod's every post on the subject where he takes a real injury suffered by racial minorities, for example let's say educational inequality, and argues that the solution isn't to actually do anything to fix that inequality (which might call for increased taxation, which is indistinguishable from white slavery in his mind) but rather just for black people to start working before the age of majority instead of completing high school (with "that'll keep the hulking Negroids too exhausted to go after the white women" being the diarrheal frosting on this particular poo poo cake).

It's been said before but bears repeating: Jrod and others like him have such an impossibly high barrier for what a white person has to say/do to actually be a racist, at least when that person is in some other way appealing to him. If its, say, a statist tyrant like President Lincoln, than anything's fair game to show he was in fact more of a racist than literal slaveholders.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 9, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Exactly.

Tom Woods, jrod's 10th most influential thinker, believes

1. School segregation is constitutional and should never have been outlawed
2. Black kids do better/have better self esteem at all-black schools
3. Desegregating schools has not improved black educational performance
4. It is black peoples' own fault they have worse educational outcomes than whites

We can read between the lines here!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Exactly.

Tom Woods, jrod's 10th most influential thinker, believes

1. School segregation is constitutional and should never have been outlawed
2. Black kids do better/have better self esteem at all-black schools
3. Desegregating schools has not improved black educational performance
4. It is black peoples' own fault they have worse educational outcomes than whites

We can read between the lines here!

Reading between red lines is as simple as black and white.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Still waiting for an answer. What's your plan?

Egalitarianism is not an animating principle of libertarians, which should come as no surprise to you. However, there is a problem in the United States (and presumably in other countries as well) with undeserved wealth accruing to the top 1%, the politically connected and large corporations. In that case, there is indeed income inequality in excess of what would exist in a genuine free market and this phenomenon should be addressed.

The Progressive narrative runs like this: In the middle of the 20th century, we had a strong middle class, tough regulations on Wall Street and a high marginal income tax on the wealthy. We had more upward mobility and much less inequality. Then we elected Ronald Reagan, he slashed taxes on the wealthy, cut regulations and ushered in an era of unbridled greed and cronyism. Over the next three or four decades, the Corporate class grew increasingly wealthy while the middle class struggled. Now we have a situation of obscene wealth disparity and it was all caused by Republicans and their deregulation and tax cutting.

This is mostly wrong, or at least misleading. Libertarians ask you to focus your attention on the role of the Federal Reserve and the growth of the State in general. The dollar was tied in some capacity to gold for all of United States history, with a few notable periods where we went off the standard for a short time (i.e. during the Civil War) until Nixon closed the Gold Window in 1971. This ushered in the era of total fiat currency with no remaining restraint on the expansion of the money supply.

When the currency can be expanded at will, two things can be expected to happen. "Public" spending will skyrocket as politicians use their new-found power to fund politically motivated programs, subsidies and benefits to interest groups. The business-class will flock in greater numbers to Washington D.C. in order to lobby for special benefits for their industry. The banks will lobby for bailouts and protection, while all manner of industry will seek low-interest (below market-rate) loans for their projects.

There was a famous economist called Richard Cantillon, who in the 18th century wrote his contributions to economic understanding, including "An Essay on Economic Theory". One of his most famous contributions has come to be called "The Cantillon Effect". This described the insidious process by which wealth in transferred through monetary policy from the hands of the middle class and poor to the politically connected rich.

This "Cantillon Effect" probably has more to do with the recent rise in inequality in the United States than any other single factor. When the Fed expands the monetary supply, rising prices are the result if and when that money circulates throughout the economy.

Now, libertarian and Austrian thinkers are quick to note that the word "inflation" used to mean an expansion of the monetary supply, i.e. more physical units of a currency brought into circulation. The phenomenon of rising prices was seen as an effect of inflation but distinct from inflation itself. And even before prices rise, there are negative effects of expansionary monetary policy. These include misleading market signals brought about by artificially low interest rates, and the enrichment of those who get to use the new money first at the expense of everyone else.

If the Federal Reserve prints a billion dollars tomorrow, will prices immediately rise throughout the economy? No. Once the money starts circulating throughout the economy, it will take months or even years for general rising prices to come into effect.

But what does that mean for the people who get to spend that billion dollars right away? It means that the land or resources that they purchase are bought at a lower price. As the money circulates, the last people to get a hold of these new dollars will be faced with higher prices.

What this means is that real wealth has been transferred from the common man to the politically well connected rich.

If we had never abandoned the Gold Standard but instead Nixon vowed to cut government spending and resume the link between the dollar and gold, we would have seen far less income inequality, less corporate greed, fewer (or none at all) speculative bubbles and Wall Street gambling.

But, for the libertarian, the problem with this entire situation is not that income inequality is an inherent concern, but that the money that has accrued to the politically-connected rich has been stolen from the middle class through debasement of the currency, through taxation and through subsidy. Thus, justice would require us to redistribute stolen loot to the rightful owners, not out of a desire for greater "equality" but out of a desire for restitution.

Like I said earlier though, it is true that market economies closer to libertarianism have less general income inequality than do more Statist societies.

The inequality that we would see in a free society would be that which came about "naturally", through our inherent difference in ability while respecting private property and contract.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Really? That's your answer? The loving gold standard? Seriously?

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

fade5 posted:

I'd love an answer this Jrod.

The answer is that I've got some sort of a problem and I don't mind wasting my time writing thousands of words for an un-appreciative audience. I never really expected anyone here to actually be persuaded, though even if they were, they are unlikely to admit it to me.

Honestly, I build up a certain reservoir of frustration about politics especially during an election season. I think just working out what I believe by writing it down has value. What keeps me going on this website is that I receive push-back to what I am saying. Even through all of the substance-less replies and name-calling in my direction, there are enough of you who respond with substance to keep me coming back to this site when I feel the need to vent about politics.

However, I think I should be welcomed here as a libertarian contributor if only to enliven the discussion. It seems like some of you are just hoping I'll go away so you can have general ideological conformity. But what fun is that?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I recognize you are nearly entirely ignorant of Scott Horton, AntiWar.com and the positions he holds. Scott Horton actually hosts a radio show/podcast and you can listen to it at scotthorton.org. If you don't immediately see that he is as devoutly anti Trump, Cruz and Rubio as he is anti Sanders, Clinton and Rand (?) then you don't have much of a clue. Do you even think through the logic of what you are saying before you say it?

:thejoke:

Oh look, I got a Jrod response, not to my substantive takedown of his perspective on empiricism (here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745862&userid=177752#post455906759 if you want to engage with something actually substantive, Jrod), but to the aside where I looked at one of his heroes' twitter and reported what I saw.

If Scott Horton is so against Trump, Cruz, or Rubio why do you think he doesn't manage to talk about it ever on Twitter? I read about a thousand tweets. Not one of them was called out, even when he was covering debates in which they said abhorrent things. In fact, everything I saw him say about Trump was positive:
https://twitter.com/scotthortonshow/status/677507593644961793
So you tell me, why the hypocrisy? Why the focus on Hillary and Bernie over actual warmongers? I think it's because he's a closet conservative, just like you.

I frankly could not give two shits about what he has to say on his podcast. It was painful enough to go through his concise written statements. If you have anything in particular, link to that with the time & write copy and forget to attribute a transcript.

jrodefeld posted:

If Scott Horton blasts Rand Paul for being too hawkish on foreign policy, what on earth would make you think he'd be more favorable towards Trump, Cruz or Rubio who are in every way more hawkish than Rand is?

He seems to blast Rand Paul for pandering and not living up to the legacy of his father, despite that being exactly what he's done.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 10, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

jrodefeld posted:

However, I think I should be welcomed here as a libertarian contributor if only to enliven the discussion. It seems like some of you are just hoping I'll go away so you can have general ideological conformity. But what fun is that?

Hating on you is literally the ONLY thing that DnD members agree on. I'm not welcoming racists with open arms you snivelling coward. You are the intellectual equivalent to a high school sophomore.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I don't believe you. You don't come back here for the push back unless your problems include masochism. You don't amend your ideas or admit where people have caused you to question your own stated beliefs, because your ideas don't change. You just argued that income inequality would be lower in a system which makes no effort on and indeed dismisses the idea of egalitarianism outright, because GOLD STANDARD. When backed into a corner about how you would make yourself and everyone else a literal mud-tilling serf, you say "we can't all be kings" or some other patronizing poo poo.

You come here so you can talk at the other, so you can say to yourself "I was a good man, I tried to show them the way" as the leftists are being marched into the ovens in your twisted libertopian head canon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

jrodefeld posted:

The answer is that I've got some sort of a problem and I don't mind wasting my time writing thousands of words for an un-appreciative audience. I never really expected anyone here to actually be persuaded, though even if they were, they are unlikely to admit it to me.

Honestly, I build up a certain reservoir of frustration about politics especially during an election season. I think just working out what I believe by writing it down has value. What keeps me going on this website is that I receive push-back to what I am saying. Even through all of the substance-less replies and name-calling in my direction, there are enough of you who respond with substance to keep me coming back to this site when I feel the need to vent about politics.

The curtain is pulled back, all is revealed.

Thanks for answering me! :)

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

jrodefeld posted:

(and presumably in other countries as well)

Nope, just the U.S. there you loving moron

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Like I said earlier though, it is true that market economies closer to libertarianism have less general income inequality than do more Statist societies.

I'll let someone else do the rest of it, but please post a ranked list of the closest economies to the Libertarian ideal. The last one you posted had literal slave countries on it, and I don't think even you are daft enough to argue that economies largely powered by slave labor have less income inequality.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gold is a fiat currency you loving dipshit. It only has value because we say it does. Just like printed currency. Instead of printing a billion dollars we could just say that gold is worth a billion dollars and the exact same loving problem arises you ignorant gently caress.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jrodefeld posted:

Motherfucker respond to me. Talk to me about minimum wage jobs, because I have first hand experience doing them right now. Don't go YOU DONT WANT TO TALK and then not respond to people

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

jrodefeld posted:

The Progressive narrative runs like this: In the middle of the 20th century, we had a strong middle class, tough regulations on Wall Street and a high marginal income tax on the wealthy. We had more upward mobility and much less inequality. Then we elected Ronald Reagan, he slashed taxes on the wealthy, cut regulations and ushered in an era of unbridled greed and cronyism. Over the next three or four decades, the Corporate class grew increasingly wealthy while the middle class struggled. Now we have a situation of obscene wealth disparity and it was all caused by Republicans and their deregulation and tax cutting.
[...]
If we had never abandoned the Gold Standard but instead Nixon vowed to cut government spending and resume the link between the dollar and gold, we would have seen far less income inequality, less corporate greed, fewer (or none at all) speculative bubbles and Wall Street gambling.

So how come income inequality actually dropped precipitously following the abandonment (for the most part) of the gold standard in 1933?

And how come the UK (which completely abandoned the gold standard in1931) experienced a similar increase in inequality in the 80s? Couldn't have anything to do with Thatcher, like Reagan, cutting taxes on the wealthy etc., could it?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Nope, just the U.S. there you loving moron

That's not true. The U.S. might be terrible, but it's in a whole cohort of countries. Like El Salvador and South Africa.

Oh, you wanted first world countries? Uhh, we're only a little worse than Israel. And we're pretty even with Russia in the second world. That's not bad, right?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

jrodefeld posted:

however, I think I should be welcomed here as a libertarian contributor if only to enliven the discussion. It seems like some of you are just hoping I'll go away so you can have general ideological conformity. But what fun is that?

lol @ the words contributor and enliven

please leave and do not come back, ever, because you will never be able to respond to the substantive points made against your worldview, nor will you attempt to do so, nor will you even acknowledge that these points have been made

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
jrode let's talk about minimum wage jobs and how worthless they are

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

QuarkJets posted:

That's a bald-faced lie. You absolutely have a problem with people who want to live in a socialist society. You constantly whine about these individuals and how their societies are inferior.

Your entire posting history on SA wouldn't exist if you were accepting of societies that don't fully embrace your laissez-faire bullshit. Remember, you're free to leave society whenever you wish; no one is going to stop you. Go ahead and move to Sealand, you dipshit

No, I don't care about people who VOLUNTARILY choose to live in a socialist society. What I am opposed to, as I've said so many times, is using aggression against people. Let's suppose that a voluntary socialist was able to convince all workers in a free society to quit their jobs at the same time, pool their resources, buy land on the market and open mutualist cooperatives where they would share all their resources and all profits they make on the market.

I wouldn't life a finger to prevent them from doing this. This is provided that their actions are voluntary and they don't steal any land. That is, they voluntarily quit their jobs but don't steal the legitimate property of their employer (i.e. the factory or equipment) and the land they buy is freely sold to them on the market. They don't coerce anyone into joining their cause against their will but instead try and persuade other working-class people to join them.

That would be absolutely fine with me. The problem comes if or when they use violence to prevent a laborer from freely trading his or her labor for wages to an entrepreneur and similarly prevent an entrepreneur from purchasing land and/or a factory and then employing laborers. Provided, as I continually stipulate, that all interactions are entirely voluntary.

There are very few socialists who are willing to maintain peace in their efforts to create their "worker's paradise".

If you ARE willing to keep the peace and work towards your socialist goals by respecting homesteaded legitimately acquired private property and using persuasion rather than aggression to get compliance with your values, then you will be entirely welcome in a libertarian free society.

You absolutely choose not to reciprocate this courtesy to the libertarian.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jrodefeld posted:

No, I don't care about people who VOLUNTARILY choose to live in a socialist society. What I am opposed to, as I've said so many times, is using aggression against people. Let's suppose that a voluntary socialist was able to convince all workers in a free society to quit their jobs at the same time, pool their resources, buy land on the market and open mutualist cooperatives where they would share all their resources and all profits they make on the market.

I wouldn't life a finger to prevent them from doing this. This is provided that their actions are voluntary and they don't steal any land. That is, they voluntarily quit their jobs but don't steal the legitimate property of their employer (i.e. the factory or equipment) and the land they buy is freely sold to them on the market. They don't coerce anyone into joining their cause against their will but instead try and persuade other working-class people to join them.

That would be absolutely fine with me. The problem comes if or when they use violence to prevent a laborer from freely trading his or her labor for wages to an entrepreneur and similarly prevent an entrepreneur from purchasing land and/or a factory and then employing laborers. Provided, as I continually stipulate, that all interactions are entirely voluntary.

There are very few socialists who are willing to maintain peace in their efforts to create their "worker's paradise".

If you ARE willing to keep the peace and work towards your socialist goals by respecting homesteaded legitimately acquired private property and using persuasion rather than aggression to get compliance with your values, then you will be entirely welcome in a libertarian free society.

you're a garbage piece of poo poo adn i hope you die because you won't respond to me

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

On the contrary, you are welcome to VOLUNTARILY live in a Libertarian society, a gated community where you all choose to interact only in contracts and commerce. As long as you pay your taxes and follow the greater society's laws & regulation. The problem comes if or when someone tries to run a hospital out of their garage with no training or sell food that will make people sick.

Most Libertarians are unable to do this without aggressing against the societal contract, though.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

jrodefeld posted:

So imagine the US becomes your beloved Free Libertarian Society, but the socialists somehow convince everybody to join up, and legitimately acquired all the land from coast to coast. If baby jrodefeld is born into the society that results and wants to be a Captain of Industry when he grows up, but can't because the drat mutualist cooperative keeps making him share his profits, what then?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

sudo rm -rf posted:

Hello jrod, why are public health care systems in other industrialized nations better at controlling costs than the health care system in the United States, and how does that contend with your claim that the underlying reason for high heath care costs in the US is government intervention?

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Who What Now posted:

Yes, this would absolutely make you a bigot. That's like the exact literal definition of bigotry you ignorant loving slime!

I worded that imprecisely. What I meant was if you were a member of the police or homeland security who was investigating a purported plot by ISIS to attack Los Angeles, would you make the assumption based on the statistics that the attacker would be of Middle Eastern descent and also a Muslim? Or would you really think it is reasonable that you'd suspect the elderly Jewish grandmother just as much as the twenty-something guy who just flew in from Syria?

This would not be about impugning an entire race or religion but would be about looking at the facts regarding terrorism and ISIS membership in order to thwart a planned attack.

I didn't mean to imply it would be reasonable for average people simply to be nervous and uncomfortable around Muslims because of the existence of ISIS in the world. That would be prejudiced and probably bigoted.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Something tells me that one of the major reasons for the delay between posts is that Jrode has to artfully sculpt each response to perfection and then admire their beauty and craftsmanship at length before finally clicking on 'Submit Reply'.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

this makes me want to dig up my original "elasticity of demand" post about life-saving medical care, which he "responded" to months later with "PROFIT IS KING BUT NOBODY WOULD DO EVIL THINGS BECAUSE REASON"

e: here it is, maybe i can even find his response

Muscle Tracer posted:

You do not understand "inelasticity." Let me give you a two-part example:

I like chewing gum, but I don't really NEED to chew gum. If the price of gum went up 500%, I'd probably chew 20% as much gum. Gum is what we'd call "highly elastic"

I absolutely need an MRI so that the doctor can figure out what's wrong with my brain and why I'm having these seizures. If the doctor says "3000 bucks," I'll get one MRI. If the doctor says "6000 bucks," I'm still going to get one MRI. If the doctor said "20 bucks," I would actually STILL only get one MRI. Because I need it—it's "highly inelastic"—and that's a whole different story. The only way I'm going to not get an MRI is if it's so incredibly expensive that I can't afford it.

That last price point, $20, is key, by the way—inelasticity goes both ways. Not only will I still get one MRI no matter what, but I will also not get any more than one no matter the price. That means that there's extremely little incentive for medical providers to reduce their costs. The only incentive to reduce price is if you're losing customers to competitors, but in most parts of the US there are no competitors, or one or two at most. If that sounds similar to Comcast and Time Warner's price gouging and unwillingness to enter the 21st century, that's because it is. There's very little competition in medicine for many reasons, but a large part of it is similar to ISPs: a huge amount of infrastructure is required, especially if you consider the training and expertise of the hospital's employees ("human resources" after all) as infrastructure. So, just like no plucky ISPs are popping up providing better services than Comcast, it's extremely unlikely that a competitor is going to pop up offering comparable services at competitive costs.

So, the capitalist hospital, like all other capitalist enterprises, has one goal when it comes to pricing: find the equilibrium point between supply and demand. Well, demand is almost infinite--it only starts to taper away when it becomes impossible for patients to afford. Doesn't it make logical sense that an enterprise in the business of maximizing its profits would do so by fixing the highest price that people are willing to pay? And if not, why not? There's little to no competition, the demand is inelastic. What is going to drive down the price of essential care?

ee: lol the time stamps on these posts

jrodefeld posted:

My first response about healthcare is to note that healthcare inelasticity is not a new phenomenon. If you needed heart surgery in the 1950s or you would die you would pay whatever the cost was as long as you could gather the money, borrow the money or steal the money to pay. Yet healthcare costs were much lower throughout the history of the United States.

This chart is very relevant:

http://mises.org/sites/default/files/holly1.jpg

Normal inflation levels don't account for the exponential rise in healthcare costs that we have seen in recent decades. As the above chart makes clear, healthcare costs stayed at about the level of the Consumer Price Index from 1910 all the way until the late 1960s, when healthcare costs began to rise exponentially and outpace the general inflation rate of other consumer goods as tracked by the CPI.

The supply of medical care services is much lower than it otherwise would be do to medical lobbying and special privilege. We talk frequently about crony capitalism and unfortunately the medical care sector of the economy is riddled with the phenomenon. For a century entrenched medical care interests have lobbied for legislation that reduces potential competition through licensing requirements, monopoly privilege grants and subsidies. The AMA went after lodge doctors and others who provided low cost medical services to the lower classes because they were being undercut on price.

This has persisted. The supply has gone down while the demand has gone up, which naturally leads to higher costs. If the supply was increased and demand stayed the same, prices would be pushed downward.

Even if demand is inelastic, and remember that it is only inelastic for some medical care services (there are plenty of optional medical treatments, tests and doctors visits whose demand would surely change based on the price level), a greater supply of the service by competing suppliers would still push the price downward. What advantage would it be for ALL medical care providers to collude and raise prices for, say, heart surgery at the same time? You are still only going to choose one doctor or hospital to get the procedure done. And if all hospitals have colluded and are charging the same high price, you will make your decision on other factors than price. You will likely choose only that hospital that has the very best doctor.

But what of the hospitals with less experienced doctors? Or less state-of-the-art facilities and amenities? How are they going to attract customers? Naturally the only way they could differentiate themselves in the marketplace is to compete on price. The doctors may be less experienced but the price is also significantly lower. It only takes one to break a cartel by undercutting the price fixing scheme.

It doesn't matter how "inelastic" the demand for heart surgery may be, an individual hospital or healthcare provider on the market will still want you to choose THEM to perform the procedure not one of their competitors. So there will be an incentive to compete on prices. Providers will want to serve every market. Some clinics may choose very basic and simple offices and buildings to perform their procedures. This reduces overhead and allows them to offer procedures at a much lower price to, say, Stanford or the Mayo Clinic.

The fact remains that it wasn't inelasticity of demand that caused medical care costs to begin to drastically outpace the consumer price index over the last forty years. It was State involvement in medical care through a series of legislative actions and increasing Federal funding of medical care costs that artificially inflated costs, led to increased demand and increased regulations that artificially restricted supply.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 10, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jrodefeld posted:

I worded that imprecisely. What I meant was if you were a member of the police or homeland security who was investigating a purported plot by ISIS to attack Los Angeles, would you make the assumption based on the statistics that the attacker would be of Middle Eastern descent and also a Muslim? Or would you really think it is reasonable that you'd suspect the elderly Jewish grandmother just as much as the twenty-something guy who just flew in from Syria?

This would not be about impugning an entire race or religion but would be about looking at the facts regarding terrorism and ISIS membership in order to thwart a planned attack.

I didn't mean to imply it would be reasonable for average people simply to be nervous and uncomfortable around Muslims because of the existence of ISIS in the world. That would be prejudiced and probably bigoted.

So if you're a cop being bigoted is OK. Look how much you suddenly love a cop when they act racist! It's the only time you love cops.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Etalommi posted:

That's not true. The U.S. might be terrible, but it's in a whole cohort of countries. Like El Salvador and South Africa.

Oh, you wanted first world countries? Uhh, we're only a little worse than Israel. And we're pretty even with Russia in the second world. That's not bad, right?

I learned something today about Israel.

Why am I not surprised Israel has the same level of inequality?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

jrodefeld posted:

What the gently caress does aggression mean and why is it wrong? That's a big problem with your argument - a lot of what you say are just words that we have to interpret the same way you do, or else all is lost.

But this is also an incredibly naive worldview.

Let's deal with babies.

Most of us were born into a preexisting state. The place that we live likely existed and likely had a similar political structure established before we were born. Growing up, I had no more choice to be an American citizen than I did being a man or having the most gorgeous eyes you've ever laid... um... eyes... upon.

So what happens when a baby is born into this world? Do we kick them out of society until they are old enough to chose to live in a society?

Well, that's just loving stupid. Of course you wouldn't support something like that. Society would crumble as soon as people started having sex, meaning the only civilizations left would be either exclusively homosexual or obsessively into Star Trek. And in that land, the exclusively homosexual society filled with Star Trek nerds would have near unlimited power.

I assume the more rational decision would be make them live in that society until they can choose to move elsewhere.

Ah, but wait, we have a problem. A 13-year-old does not agree with the socialist principals we've established in our society. He does not want to abide by our egalitarian rules!

Okay, we can banish him from the land. But then he would likely die and the parents wouldn't be cool with us. Alright, we will try to force him to comply.

Wait, you have an 18-year-old who hates our society and wants to live in the Capitalist society. But he can't afford to move to the Capitalist society. What do we do? Do we force him to live like a socialist? What are his options? Does he try to behave like a capitalist in a socialist society? Then what do we do?

It seems like the solution to a libertarian's conundrums are almost always banishment.

The purely voluntary society just wouldn't last more than maybe a generation, tops. Because here's the thing - we can't have social upheaval every time a new generation comes of age and decides they want to live under a different set of rules but also want to stay close to their parents. It all sounds very nice until you start to deal with practical questions like having sex that leads to reproduction, and then you run into problems.

Eventually, people will want to live their way and they will run into a problem - there's no more land to buy.

But that's okay. You probably weren't planning on having sex anyway.

quote:

Can you please provide evidence for this? I'm not the one who basically wants to wipe out the entire human race and stop all procreation.

Although, if you did sell your worldview as a never-ending homosexual orgy, I think you might get a lot more support.

quote:

The reason why we don't reciprocate this courtesy to the libertarian is that what they want is contrary to how we feel society must function. It's like going into a vegetarian restaurant and getting upset that they don't have moo-cow burgers but only tofu burgers. We believe that society functions by a rule of law and that people can choose to live as they please within reason, but as members of our society, they have to fulfill certain requirements. If they don't like it, they can leave. And if they can't leave, then they can not like it but abide by it until they either can leave or get enough people together to enact a change.

And what are you going to do if we choose to use aggression to get our way?

Like, think for more than 5 seconds about what you're going to say. You're so dense you don't hear what other people are saying. Yeah, it sounds nice. But it also doesn't stand up once you start poking holes at it.

Edit:

Oh God-damnit

jrodefeld posted:

Look, I was trying to help you before. But you just couldn't resist, and you had to dig in.

So, here's how we go about things in the real world. An attack happens. If we had reason to believe it's from ISIS, we can probably identify the people by seeing who has traveled to the region, or who has had contact with that region. Or look for people who have been spreading speech similar to that of ISIS.

You're not going to look at every Muslim, because for the most part, you're going to uncover NOTHING. It's a waste of time. And you might miss the perp. There are white boys who want to join ISIS. It could be someone trying to make the attack look like it came from ISIS. Who knows?

You better learn Chinese at the rate you're digging that hole.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 10, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

jrodefeld posted:

Nope, still Klan levels of racism. Racial profiling is never the answer full stop.

quote:

That would be hosed up, law enforcement looking on all Arabs and Muslims with suspicion though is right on and in keeping with the 14 words NAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

George Zimmerman wasn't a cop.

• Locked thread