Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Silver Bullet use the account Lowtax gave you. The name can't be that bad, can it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You know, it pleases me in a really visceral way that the stupid things this thread spawns have such effects on the internal culture of a game company with over 100 mil in crowdfunding.

It is loving great. Like when pgab mocked that cockpit and they changed it a few days later.

loving lol if CIG are emailing the Ben gif to each other.

Daztek posted:

I bought ED and now I am looking at HOTAS

Don't do drugsbuy spaceships, kids

CH throttle is best for Elite.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Tell me about which one you get, because I have E:D and really like it, but I'm not sure which one to get.

Also, I need to test HOTAS input for Solar Plebeian. Yep, gonna support HOTAS. Scope is blowin' up like mad and IDGAF y'all. It's about the DREAM. Do you UNDERSTAND?? FINALLY????

"The truth about the world ... is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." -Cormac McCarthy (Blood Meridian)

Star Citizen: Unspeakable and Calamitous Beyond Reckoning

Solar Plebeian: A Trance Bepopulate with Chimeras

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sandi and/or ben

do you read my posts and could you learn to like them?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The fact that folks inside CIG got to read that exchange between me and Sandi warms my heart.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The fact that folks inside CIG got to read that exchange between me and Sandi warms my heart.

i guarantee you there are miserable CIG posters who read this thread when they get off work

also they probably vicariously live through you and imagine finally standing up to Sandi

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
that sarsparilla guy has a different disease to the cultists, maybe more along the lines of alcoholism. he blacks out, and wakes up with $2500 of promises and spends the rest of his day trying to rectify the situation before blacking out, and waking up without a job or immediate family. this thread is his AA.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I use a logitech extreme 3D pro and I seem to do ok, but then I'm still new to E:D and haven't done a lot of combat (I dock and land on planets just fine though).

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
remember when Lowtax said he was thinking about banning anyone who supports SC and gryphon5930 had a meltdown and never posted in this thread again lmao.

what a doozy!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Captain B'tak triggers me. I have never wanted to grief an individual in a video game like I want to grief that guy.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Eightace, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much impact does this thread have on cloud imperium games?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4&t=47s

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Happy Sisyphus posted:

In addition I would like to see Jerry Seinfeld brought in to play my funny guy jewish sidekick in Squadron 42

What's the deal with vanduul? Do they really need two u's? Do they drive vans in space? Are they SPACE soccer moms? Hey I'd love to shoot at you, but I have to drop the kids off for swimming lessons.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

fuzzknot posted:

:stwoon:

Bootcha's going to tinker with it.

It's all happening. All the smilies. My cold medicine-induced dreams will come true!

I LOVE THIS THREAD.

I'm curious to see this at the end of the thread. Then I'll start popping into the Eve thread with :eonwe: to piss people off because its loving hilarious an far more entertaining than the same lovely slap fights over an over again.

At least I'm not getting one. Yay for being more of a lurker than a poster for more than a year.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Anyone have the original picture of the pony guy with the rainbow hair? I need it for science.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Did anything huge happen over the past few days? I've been reclaiming my life from this thread, but I gotta know if they did another used car showroom level fuckup.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Captain B'tak triggers me. I have never wanted to grief an individual in a video game like I want to grief that guy.

I don't think the game is going to come out but I hope it does so that I can nonconsensually pvp him.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Did anything huge happen over the past few days? I've been reclaiming my life from this thread, but I gotta know if they did another used car showroom level fuckup.

as always the next big fuckup is seemingly right around the corner

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

drat Dirty Ape posted:

He reads like the kind of player you won't even have to grief. Just existing near him would be enough to send him into a fit of rage likely to cause an aneurysm.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

not really. there has been some A+ mutiny on the RSI forums but thats about it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

blueberrysmith posted:

Anyone have the original picture of the pony guy with the rainbow hair? I need it for science.

You mean Ponyman?

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Beet Wagon posted:

You mean Ponyman?

You are a gentleman and a scholar. :pgabz:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This Mad Catz thing is hilarious.

SC really is a soap opera for spergs.

It's a sperg opera.

Operas do have a lot of whaling.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

A cheapo thrustmaster hotas x is a good starter stick + throttle. Sadly thrustmaster doesn't have a mid range throttle to go with their mid range stick so you have to pair a thrustmaster T1600000000000000m stick with a CH throttle. It'll still come out cheaper than getting any of saitek/madcatz "high end" poo poo and be way better and 100 times more reliable.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

IMO HOTAS are bad and lovely for controlling ED or any game really. They're meant for ~maximum immersion~ for commandos who want to pretend they are in a real spaceship/airplane/whatever (while wearing battle fatigues and saying over on comms a lot). A bog standard joystick with rudder twist and a throttle will do everything a HOTAS can with one hand. Your other hand is then free to type mean words in chat as you make people feel grief.

A good reasonably priced joystick is something like that badboy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJ5FPTA

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dear disgruntled CIG employees,

Could you pass my headshot over to Chris? I'd like to be a Stellar Civilian in your upcoming battleships game.

Also, as you can see by the fact that I'm wearing a shirt that says "DREAMS" on it that I designed, I would be an excellent fit for Chief Head of Merchandising.

Thank you in advance.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6346655/#Comment_6346655

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Berious posted:

IMO HOTAS are bad and lovely for controlling ED or any game really. They're meant for ~maximum immersion~ for commandos who want to pretend they are in a real spaceship/airplane/whatever (while wearing battle fatigues and saying over on comms a lot). A bog standard joystick with rudder twist and a throttle will do everything a HOTAS can with one hand. Your other hand is then free to type mean words in chat as you make people feel grief.

A good reasonably priced joystick is something like that badboy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJ5FPTA

The differences between default joystick/keyboard and a fully customized hotas is massive for a game like elite because it has an insane amount of things you can bind. Really, it took me like a week to get used to my hotas but once I did I just couldn't go back to keyboard. Maybe I could have worked around similar binds with a keyboard using shift/ctrl modifiers, but they wouldn't feel nearly as good as a throttle with buttons. And I'm sure that I'd missclick half the time if I was doing something like that with a keyboard.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Berious posted:

How is your other hand going to be free if you need it to twiddle that tiny throttle paddle?

If you're gonna use just a stick map throttle to the keyboard along with thrusters on wasd or whatever. You need rapid throttle and thruster control in a fight along with everything else, and a man should never take his hand off his stick in the middle of a ruck.

A hotas isn't essential by any means, stick plus keyboard does the job, but if you can afford it they're fun to use and you can get just about everything bar chat mapped to them. The CH throttle wins for various reasons, not least because it has an analogue ministick that could have been made just for Elite.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Daztek posted:

CH throttle and stick are good. They are ugly but very reliable.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?

Daztek posted:

If you're legit looking for a HOTAS, I bought the X-55 Rhino sometime last year. I like the way it looks and the amount of programmable buttons, but the unit is just too large for my hands and it -really- hurts to use after a while (primarily twisting the joystick). However, I just bought two T16000's for a dual-stick setup and I've been doing pretty good with that in E:D. Most people do recommend KBM, and I do too, however I also have to say that I think dual-stick is a really nice way to go. You use one stick for all your horizontal/lateral thrusting while the other controls your pitch and the like. It takes some getting use to, but I still believe dual-stick > KBM > HOTAS.

If we're talking about SC, however, KBM is best. As much as I like dual-stick/HOTAS, SC lets gimbal weapons work too well with mice. But eh, its debatable. I'm not an expert, thats just what I perceive.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Berious posted:

Here is my sweet setup

I wear military fatigues for maximum immersion because I'm a serious gamer playing serious sims

Jealous spoors? :smugbert:

I'm the sad calendar in the corner

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toops posted:

Tell me about which one you get, because I have E:D and really like it, but I'm not sure which one to get.

I like the T16000m. Feels solid, has z-axis twist, and a crap-ton of buttons, including a little joystick atop it for thumb use. (Really useful in certain situations-- like aiming your turret in SUV combat...)

But it's the only stick I've used. There may be better ones.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Daztek posted:

Honestly you don't need one. I have tried single basic stick (5 button, no hat switch) + keyboard and a Logiteck joypad with 2 thumb analog stick (like a PS pad) and both are completely serviceable. I'm not saying that you can go toe to toe with the best CQC pilots and win but so far (about 10h playtime) i'm trucking along and fighting NPC AI without a hitch.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

G0RF posted:

I like the T16000m. Feels solid, has z-axis twist, and a crap-ton of buttons, including a little joystick atop it for thumb use. (Really useful in certain situations-- like aiming your turret in SUV combat...)

But it's the only stick I've used. There may be better ones.

Cobra m5 is better, but hard to find.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Berious posted:

Here is my sweet setup

I wear military fatigues for maximum immersion because I'm a serious gamer playing serious sims

Jealous spoors? :smugbert:

You are wearing pants and from the look of it, can still see your dick stick while sitting. So that is probably better than half of SC backers.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

Cobra m5 is better, but hard to find.
Got mine from https://www.alzashop.com no problems.

Best budget stick by far IMO. Accurate as gently caress, with a dual trigger and a pinky trigger. It's very very sensitive though, and the driver software doesn't allow you to turn it down any from what I can see. I had to use UJR to set it to 40%.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I would be bummed if posts here pissed off or upset productive and beleaguered employees of CIG. It seems like our fire is largely at propagandists and control freaks in LA, which is obviously the epicenter of so much organizational toxicity and dysfunction. I would assume (and hope) that we are a source of amusement or encouragement for most of them who are visiting here.

It would suck if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

i bought a computer for $1500, therefore buying an unfinished single game for the same price is totally justified :v:

• Locked thread