Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
and all the money would go straight back into the economy anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Amethyst posted:

How much more expensive would it be compared to the current system, anyway? I think we spend around $190b at the moment? $1000/citizen/month works out to roughly $250b, just in the raw payouts, but the lack of means testing and bureaucracy would mean significant savings, right?

Yes, and it would also help boost the economy since the poor people getting that money will inject it right back in, while increasing consumer confidence. It could and should be paired with higher progressive taxation, too.

And then beyond all that, there's lots of extra societal benefits, like reduced crime.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It's certainly an interesting idea that hopefully gains some global traction. The Swiss are holding a referendum on it in June, which will be fascinating to observe.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It would also create an ~agile economy~ by increasing the number of people who are able to take risks in acting on opportunities as they arise.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

It could also lead to increased volunteerism, and reduce the harm of industries that exploit unpaid internships. While opening up those kind of opportunities to people who might not have had the support networks to indulge in those kinds of unpaid activities to get ahead.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
The Guardian has a fun tool to let you put together your own budget cuts/allocations: http://www.theguardian.com/australi...rms-interactive

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Bifauxnen posted:

It could also lead to increased volunteerism, and reduce the harm of industries that exploit unpaid internships. While opening up those kind of opportunities to people who might not have had the support networks to indulge in those kinds of unpaid activities to get ahead.

As much as I'm for UBI, wouldn't it increase the chance of people exploiting others for unpaid internships, since "they have enough to live on now anyway"?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
There's a reasonably strong case to support that the big boom in English cultural achievements in the late fifties and sixties was due to welfare funding and the art school system. Not exactly ABI, but a similar economic circumstance.

http://fineart.ac.uk/collection/html/stroud.html

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2011/apr/10/art-schools-funding

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't cost of living just rise?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

As much as I'm for UBI, wouldn't it increase the chance of people exploiting others for unpaid internships, since "they have enough to live on now anyway"?

Well, yes. It could also be used to argue for lower minimum wages.

I think the benefits greatly outweigh this, though. If the UBI is actually enough to scrape by on, why do a lovely unpaid or underpaid activity when you could do a different unpaid activity volunteering somewhere you really like? Exploitative workplaces would have to offer a lot more to make it worth showing up. And people would have more freedom to walk out or report things when they know that their benefits are a given.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Frogmanv2 posted:

No, luck has everything to do with it. He was lucky that his brain had the right balance of chemicals streaming through it in order to go to the gym. He was lucky he had the knowledge, experience and money to continue going to the gym.

How exactly did he develop the self discipline required to make these choices? Do you think it just magically happened? Or that there was a long list of events leading up to that decision that all played a part in it?

You literally waved away the fact that some people are obese as being the cause of bad luck. Making the decision to eat excessively while exercising minimally is not bad luck, it is laziness. No one is forcing the obese to continue eating. It's not a closely guarded secret by those "lucky" enough to not be obese that eating less and exercising more will prevent one from being a sad fat gently caress that blames their lovely obese life on bad luck.

I hate to break it to you (and others in this thread) but some things are the fault of the individual. Genetics, luck, society etc. are not forcing anyone to eat excessively. If anything those bullshit arguments are exacerbating the problem by enabling fat pieces of poo poo to continue to blame everyone and anything but themselves for their own individual bodyweight.

Anyone who disagrees with this post is wrong and probably fat.

Not gonna post anymore about fatties now.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

The Guardian has a fun tool to let you put together your own budget cuts/allocations: http://www.theguardian.com/australi...rms-interactive

Oh man I got to buy all the things I wanted and still had 60 billion left over.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Wouldn't the right just turn it into a custom credit card that the government disables if you spend it on alcohol and or normal fun. Demonizing poor people further as the liberals wave around disabled card statistics and argue for a lower basic income? Making it more invasive to your privacy than centrelink ever was.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

bowmore posted:

Quite likely. There will still be the same challenges of making sure the amount of UBI gets raised as needed, the same problem we have now with our current welfare not keeping up with the times.

At least you won't have to waste as much time fighting to get it in the first place, though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cartoon posted:

There's a reasonably strong case to support that the big boom in English cultural achievements in the late fifties and sixties was due to welfare funding and the art school system. Not exactly ABI, but a similar economic circumstance.

http://fineart.ac.uk/collection/html/stroud.html

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2011/apr/10/art-schools-funding

Cool thing from Billy Bragg on this:

https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/status/687666367688867840

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

Wouldn't the right just turn it into a custom credit card that the government disables if you spend it on alcohol and or normal fun. Demonizing poor people further as the liberals wave around disabled card statistics and argue for a lower basic income? Making it more invasive to your privacy than centrelink ever was.

If they did, it would no longer be a UBI. The whole point of UBI and a big part of its benefits comes from not weighing it down with extra strings and conditions.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But this is Australia.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

People can always ruin everything, doesn't change the fact that UBI would be awesome if they miraculously stopped sucking long enough to implement it. :v:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Speaking of creative policy solutions:

https://medium.com/@mrtruffle/solving-sydney-s-lock-out-law-problem-the-licence-to-party-dcb1fbd0a976

quote:

Solving Sydney’s Lock Out Law Problem. The Licence to PARTY.

One topic has dominated discussion lately and that is NSW’s Lock Out Laws.
These new laws have been instigated to “crackdown on drug and alcohol-fuelled violence”.
So the real issue is a violent minority is ruining it for everyone else.
How can we fix this?
I propose a “licence to party” which basically grants a licence holder to party beyond the lock out times and enjoy themselves responsibly.
People who are violent will have their licence revoked and will have to obey the new laws.
Just like a drivers licence you have points and major offenses will result in an instant loss of licence. Small infractions will have you losing a few points which reset each year. Those aged <25 get less points and basically go on a Learners Party Permit of sorts.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Australia introduces a UBI and the price of goon rises 400%

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like it

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Regulating people's lives with "party licences" has got the be the most Australian thing I've ever heard.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Thsts the thing though. What I described prior is basicly the closest I can imagine Australia getting to UBI and it would still end up more invasive than what we have now.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Just more disenfranchisement. We'd have to fight for our right to party.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Regulating people's lives with "party licences" has got the be the most Australian thing I've ever heard.
Some people need it though, so many dickheads

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

What would the code for license revocation look like? Do you just need to act like a dick or do you actually need to breach the law?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

bowmore posted:

Some people need it though, so many dickheads

Honestly, as a solution there's a possibility it might improve violence and I'd love the schadenfreude of dickheads having their licences revoked. But that's just the problem, so much of Australian politics is motivated by spite and wanting to take things away from people we don't like (always with increased regulation) and we're all guilty of it. I guess if it's only applied to people with convictions for violent crime I don't have a problem with it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...,23,16,17,21,24

Here's my Budget report for this year, aka Tax The Rich

$78 billion in the black :smug:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

In the spirit of this thread I say FYGM and bring on a universal basics card because I don't drink or smoke and can work some lovely job to pay for vidya games, pool entry and Melbourne memberships for my pets.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A universal basics Card in Australia would be a Coles/Woolies giftcard.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Amoeba102 posted:

A universal basics Card in Australia would be a Coles/Woolies giftcard.

I can buy a Melbourne membership for the free spider!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

AABHAAHJSAHAHSAHAHSHBHAHAHAHBHAHAKLALAHAHAHAHAHAH

Greg Hunt wins inaugural Best Minister in the World award at Dubai summit

quote:

World leaders, scientists and media experts are attending the summit which features forums on the future of renewable energy, zombie apocalypse preparedness and the future of money.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The only thing I don't get about the world government summit is why the UAE care so much about trolling auspol

Unless... IWC is actually a UAE sheikh? Would explain the re-reg money.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Professional Bio

Kate Moloney is an empowering motivational speaker and author. She loves combining entrepreneurship and property investing with personal development and empowerment. In Kates own words, you can’t have one without the other. She draws from her experience, training and intuition to teach personal empowerment to others in a down-to-earth and easy-to-understand manner.

Kate’s first venture in property investment left her as a three million dollar debt disaster at age 27. She knows how to handle adversity in a calm and centred manner. A natural born leader, with an affective communication style, Kate loves empowering people to become their own leaders.

Thank you for checking out this website.

A few things about me;

+ In 2012, at the age of 24, Matt and I were crowned Australias Property Investor the Year (Your Investment Property Magazine) click here to see

+ Three years later, if we were to sell our properties, we would still owe the banks about three million dollars (not including arrears interest and selling costs). We are currently in the process of sorting out the debts. The outcome at this stage is uncertain (despite living with financial cancer, happiness is a choice we make every day)

+ Life has been tipped upside down in the last two years. Goodbye success identity, can I have a new one, please? Ideally, my real one.

+ I live in Moranbah, QLD. Have been here for six years. The towns real estate market has dropped approx 75% in the last three years. The vibe is ... depressing. Right now my mission is to shine a light on it.

+ I have written a book called Bright Yellow Happiness its due out in 2016. I never wanted to publish it, but it feels like the right thing to do.

+ Despite "living with financial cancer" I am happy and empowered. I believe whole heartedly in personal development and empowerment. When they are combined with your everyday life, you become powerful, even in the face of challenging adversity.

+ Who knows whats around the corner. At the moment, I am taking life day by day. My intention is to share Bright Yellow Happiness with the world in a soulful way, thats true to me.

http://www.katemoloney.com/#!about-kate/c1mv6

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo did you see what they won for being Property Investors of the Year?

quote:

A prize pack worth $17,146 including:

$5,000 cash from Crawford Realty and Your Investment Property

A 12-month Real Estate Investar ‘Premium’ membership valued at $2,988

A tailored risk profle and strategy plan by MyProp Mentor Me valuedat $2,500

A selection of reports from Washington Brown valued at $2,360

My Knowledge access from Real Estate Investar valued at $850

A 12-month membership to MyProp.com.au valued at $259

A selection of reports from RP Data valued at $200

A 12-month (platinum) membership to NMD Data valued at $199

A 12-month membership to HomeSource Access valued at $110

A 12-month subscription pack including Your Investment Propertyand Your Mortgag

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't help them much

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

bowmore posted:

This seems intuitive and I'm yet to hear a decent response to it. The negative income tax form of basic income, rather than just giving it to everyone even if they already have plenty of money, might address the issue? We have a tax system anyway so the extra bureaucracy should be manageable.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The advantage of just giving it to everyone even if they have lots of money is partly that you don't need to waste time and effort on means testing. But it also helps in situations where someone previously doing fine suddenly stops earning a good income.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Someone doing well who loses their job is likely to have a mortgage or other expenses above what the mincome would pay anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

open24hours posted:

Someone doing well who loses their job is likely to have a mortgage or other expenses above what the mincome would pay anyway.

so get a new job? Newstart doesn't cover a mortgage either.

• Locked thread