Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

That's not entirely true - they aren't popping out of every car you see, but there are usually a few in any yard, and a few phone calls can hook you up with any kind.

Very few LS series motors over here. But plenty of Rover, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota V8s.

The issue is that we don't have any V8s with aftermarket parts or support. No fancy heads and cams and strokkkkkkker cranks for us, no sir.

Jaguar V12 swapped FB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's not entirely true - they aren't popping out of every car you see, but there are usually a few in any yard, and a few phone calls can hook you up with any kind.

Very few LS series motors over here. But plenty of Rover, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota V8s.

The issue is that we don't have any V8s with aftermarket parts or support. No fancy heads and cams and strokkkkkkker cranks for us, no sir.

Argh, true. But as you say no aftermarket, and most of those V8s are physically larger than a pushrod small block. Not all, but seriously who chooses a rover V8 these days?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Cakefool posted:

Argh, true. But as you say no aftermarket, and most of those V8s are physically larger than a pushrod small block. Not all, but seriously who chooses a rover V8 these days?

When all you have is a hammer...?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cakefool posted:

seriously who chooses a rover V8 these days?

You're correct. The majority of V8's which I see going into other cars these days are 1UZ's from LS400's. When you can buy a complete, running LS400 for £400, it's a no-brainer.

The supercharged Jag 4.0 from the XKR is cheap at around £600-£800 though.....

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
1UZ hold up well to boost too. They're pretty awesome engines and not that big either.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wrar posted:

1UZ hold up well to boost too. They're pretty awesome engines and not that big either.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha wow. Reminds me of the 4.6 vs. 5.0 pic.

An FC with an LS is probably the best budget swap there is. Although RX8's are getting cheap as hell now too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

An FC with an LS is probably the best budget swap there is. Although RX8's are getting cheap as hell now too.

Yeah, don't forget that that's also ~260HP vs ~400HP (I'm not sure which LS that is, but it's a gen3 aluminum block, so either 350HP or 405HP stock)

E: I think that's an LS6 intake.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
And even an LM7 is only a camshaft from 400ish horsepower.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

And even an LM7 is only a camshaft from 400ish horsepower.

Yeah, I just wanted to compare stock to stock.

Usually cam, springs, and exhaust, yeah?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Lol, this pic never gets old.

1UZ's are rather large for their output.

leica posted:

RX8's are getting cheap as hell now too.

In the UK, you can get a 'needs engine rebuild' 2005+ RX8 with otherwise low miles, for around £500. And a 1UZ for £300. Do you see where this is going?!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

In the UK, you can get a 'needs engine rebuild' 2005+ RX8 with otherwise low miles, for around £500. And a 1UZ for £300. Do you see where this is going?!

Don't all 1UZs come in front of an automatic?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Yeah why would you want to have to change gears when you can pay a computer to do it lol.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

There is in fact an rx-8 on craigslist right now with a "blown motor" for $800. I highly suspect it was in a front end collision due to the parts missing from it though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I've seen the pop up around here for under 1k fully intact with blown motors, almost all automatics.

You know it's bad when there's adds like this:

Spyder just think of all the money to be made replacing Renesis motors!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was going to post the first part of that, RX8s under a grand, FDs don't seem to come under 10k regardless of condition. Would the 1UZ physically fit? The LS swaps look snug.

Sorry for the derail spyder.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

See if it were possible to get an RX8 that didn't look like an RX8 I'd be fine with it but it's just a dull looking car that's aged pretty badly.

...but what does UK law say about doing something like Roadkill's Vette kart??

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Too many sharp points and small radii. Check the SVA rules, they're actually pretty clear in most regards. I'm familiarizing myself with them for a project :ninja:

E: it could be done but it wouldn't look like that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Pity. I also like the idea of a almost completely stripped NA MX5. Might have to go read some rules.

Cage is garbage on this though but the idea is nice.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you don't mind a lexan hood and bumper you might get close.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Raluek posted:

The 1UZ did, but the 2UZ out of the 100 series landcruiser could be had with a manual transmission behind it....

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cakefool posted:

If you don't mind a lexan hood and bumper you might get close.

DON'T TELL ME THINGS LIKE THIS.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Taling about loving LS swaps when someone is dropping in a 20B.

:ughh:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

RX-8 talk is worse. Just let that ugly piece of poo poo die so I never have to look at it again. I want to think Mazda never made such an awful design by committee car and they stopped on the high note that was the FD3 RX7. The only good thing the RX8 did was give us a platform for the NC miata. Even the loving fender flares that ended up on every other Mazda were an affront to me.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
But I like the RX-8's design ._.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

To be fair, an LS in an FB is more a case of "this motor fits, other motors do not fit, and 12As are NLA city". But yeah, lets get this train back on track :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Spyder: triangle wizard
Rest of us: less so.
UK goons: LS are rarer than rocking horse poo poo, what else is available?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

UK goons: LS are rarer than rocking horse poo poo, what else is available?

V8? 1UZ, 3UZ, M62, any old rover v8 (most popular, mostly carbed, most of the previous generation would put these into cars)
I6? 1JZ, 2JZ, 7M, RB25/26
I4? 4G63, SR20, K20

Plus a million other less-well known engines that people have just pulled from cars because they are cheap. The old Vauxhall Omega and Ford Scorpion V6's are popular.

You will see more Aston and Jaguar V8's than American motors. Chevy small-block or 'LS' series, Ford V8's, etc are almost non existent....because cars containing these were rarely sold over here (only example I can think of is the Monaro, which was not a great seller). Our larger 'trucks' and vans, which use V8 gas engines in the US, are all 4cyl turbo diesels over here.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
Super off-topic, but I have an irrational desire to build a turbocharged 2.5L MZR-powered Rx8 someday. The motor bolts into an MX5 subframe, which bolts into an Rx8. Not sure if the firewall survives, but most everything else should Lego-brick together. I think the Rx8 has a cool form-factor and they've always been described as an excellent chassis, but the engine... :negative:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
It's too bad it's hard from an emissions standpoint to swap an earlier 13B into the RX-8; every other aspect should be more or less cake, but because it's an OBD2 chassis, doing it as a street car is problematic.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Wouldn't a renesis in an NC be a more...interesting use for that motor?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Renesis in a fire pit would be better use of that motor.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BloodBag posted:

I always thought so, but a lot of people bitch because the renesis isn't boosted. "Oh no," they cry, "real rotaries are turbocharged!" ignoring most of everything sold before '93. Sure the renesis has its issues, but it makes enough power to be fun. Personally though, I'm looking at going streetport 13B into NA, due to emissions laws ... well, and the number of streetported 13B parts I have handy. ;)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BloodBag posted:

Yes. An MX-5 with a 13B is mind blowing weapon.

Renesis in a fire pit would be better use of that motor.

It's not a bad motor as per say, how Mazda did emission and cold start are the problems. As I understand, the Renesis is actually the best 13B esp if you want boooooost and you can address the issues reasonably easily, albeit illegally.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not a bad motor as per say, how Mazda did emission and cold start are the problems. As I understand, the Renesis is actually the best 13B esp if you want boooooost and you can address the issues reasonably easily, albeit illegally.

It's a pretty good NA engine for near its stock power output or a bit more with a standalone and some tuning, as long as you're not roadracing. The way the exhaust ports work, the spring behind the side seals are exposed to a lot more heat transfer from exhaust gases, and if run really hard for a while they give up. And because the exhaust flow is a lot less sudden than the older style exhaust ports, they won't spool turbos the same way. And there's a water jacket right near the exhaust ports, so you can't make much more power without doing weird things like having the old *and* new style exhaust ports by mixing and matching parts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's a pretty good engine BUT....

Lol.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

From hearing from pro teams back in the day, and club racers more recently, if you run the things at 10/10ths on a track, the side seal springs lose their temper and go off in about 50 hours (IIRC). This isn't really that bad, as the springs are pretty cheap, but it's a failure mode the older 13Bs didn't have - I've been looking at everything from the point of view of building a roadrace car lately, and given one engine option that I have to refresh more often, I'm going the other way.

Think of it this way - assume you're starting with a good engine and you swap it into something, meaning standalone, and fixing the conservative oiling. Now you have something where you can basically overlay the graph with an F20C and match it, except smaller and lighter (I have scaled 13Bs at 250, supposedly the Renesis is 275 dressed and the F20C is 325 in similar condition) and that bolts to any transmission that bolts to a rotary. If I didn't have a bunch of hairy balls out ported 13B parts sitting around (well, and I like building engines) I'd look for one for street use to drop in a Miata.

The older style 13Bs have more potential in a radical NA form, or when boosted, but the Renesis fills a pretty nice niche.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe for someone that knows their way around a rotary, like Spyder, but I'm guessing even he wouldn't bother with a Renesis.

And for the layman it's gotta be a hell of a lot easier to just swap in a pushrod V8 with a swap kit and be done with the Renesis. I know that pisses of the RADL but it is what it is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

And for the layman it's gotta be a hell of a lot easier to just swap in a pushrod V8 with a swap kit and be done with the Renesis. I know that pisses of the RADL but it is what it is.

Given any number of failed projects and half assed running swaps.... that I doubt.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What the hell happened in this thread? :stare:

For the record, I've seen exactly (2) well done LSx swaps in Rx-7's here locally. Every other one of them was a loose bolt away from the motor falling out or catching on fire from sketchy wiring. If even 50% of the people doing these swaps knew what they were doing, I'm not sure I would care. It's just terrible to see these (or any car for that matter) getting hacked up because V8 BRO. I honestly doubt FD swaps will become more popular as these cars get older, rarer, and out of the "affordable" swap range. Once a rolling shell is above 10k, you might as well buy a $25k Corvette. It would be cheaper and easier to maintain. On a personal note, I would love to swap a early 996.

Oh and the Renisis sucks. I fully expect to see a plethora of LSx Rx-8's in the near future. You can pick them up for so drat cheap ($1500 for a 05 with "Motor problems").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm not condoning any LS swaps into FD's whatsoever.......But for RX8's have at it, seems like that's all they're good for now.