Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Scyantific posted:

You gotta be more specific man. There's like dozens of vision quests in this goddamn game yo.

E: Craft talk: Sell every white and green item that you loot while exploring, with the exception of the items that have the "Intricate" trait on them. Honing Stones/Hemming/Pitch are all super easy to find/buy that selling a few greens and whites will not hurt you. The only reason I decon all my drops at v9 and above is because I need/want the voidstone/void cloth/shadowhide/nightwood for writs and the occasional theorycraft testing.

i'm referring to the one that's called 'vision quest'. are there multiples of those? the one in shad whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Baron puts paws on me while I'm trying to tank.

All worked out though, and am now V15!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mercenary chapter droprate got nerfed by 75% because gently caress you that's why.

64-bit client is a mess too. Users reporting that it won't even launch at all.

E: BoL nerf is still permanent, their rationale is that they've "seen many streamers successfully run content, sometimes too successfully" and that it needed a rework. They're also saying that they've buffed up Healing Ritual to help "compensate."

Protip: No matter how well you polish garbage, it's still garbage.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 10, 2016

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Scyantific posted:

Mercenary chapter droprate got nerfed by 75% because gently caress you that's why.

Is the Merc stuff worth it? I've seen some pretty good deals on chapters lately but I don't know if the armor/weapons are that good.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Is the Merc stuff worth it? I've seen some pretty good deals on chapters lately but I don't know if the armor/weapons are that good.

Merc stuff is absolutely worth it. By far the best looking light (minus the hat) and heavy armor (COMBAT KILT) look in the game, IMO. Shields look fantastic, and the axes look dope as hell.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Shiiiit, I need me some Merc motifs then. I wanna look more tanky and cool.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Merc stuff is absolutely worth it. By far the best looking light (minus the hat) and heavy armor (COMBAT KILT) look in the game, IMO. Shields look fantastic, and the axes look dope as hell.

Neat. So far I've only used Medium armor but I figured a mag temp was in my future so I guess I should buy while it's cheap.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

If everyone already has it, is it really nerfing?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Neat. So far I've only used Medium armor but I figured a mag temp was in my future so I guess I should buy while it's cheap.

I switched to all medium, but a light merc robe just because it's a loving duster. The unnoticeable drop in defense was well worth it to look soooooo good.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Started this game a few days ago as a Dragon Knight and wow, it's improved a lot since beta! I did Banished Cells, and tanking is really legit in this because you're expected to protect the whole team, rather than "group taunt, soak damage". It feels much more active than in other games.

I love Obsidian Shield and the group protection morph of Magma Armor. So much protection to my buddies <3 Although now I just feel the constant dread of potentially making huge mistakes with my build and being a terrible tank later on :negative:

Edit: Something I was wondering, is that I can very easily see me getting a poo poo-ton of armor increase skills. How do I even know what's a good balance between buffs and CC, as a tank? I was thinking of going a 1h/shield+1h/shield setup.

Raruna fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 10, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

With the way DK abilities are shaping up in the Thieves Guild update, DK tanks will be in demand even more than they already are.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Man, this three minute (so far) loading screen sure does get me in the mood to do my daily writs.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Can someone shoot me a guild invite, username is nwfff

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

ndub posted:

Can someone shoot me a guild invite, username is nwfff

Need to be more specific. What platform?

Raruna posted:

Started this game a few days ago as a Dragon Knight and wow, it's improved a lot since beta! I did Banished Cells, and tanking is really legit in this because you're expected to protect the whole team, rather than "group taunt, soak damage". It feels much more active than in other games.

I love Obsidian Shield and the group protection morph of Magma Armor. So much protection to my buddies <3 Although now I just feel the constant dread of potentially making huge mistakes with my build and being a terrible tank later on :negative:

Edit: Something I was wondering, is that I can very easily see me getting a poo poo-ton of armor increase skills. How do I even know what's a good balance between buffs and CC, as a tank? I was thinking of going a 1h/shield+1h/shield setup.

Feels more unsupported. Tanks need to be able to maintain threat and soak damage. That's what tanking is. ESO's "tanking" is so slapdick it's not even funny.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
More info on the upcoming Thieves' Guild DLC: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/02/10/thieves-guild-guide-systems-and-skill-line
One thing of note is that now useable trophies like Finvir's Trinket will now have their own Collectible menu like mounts and pets, so that'll free up a few slots for people like me that keep those things around.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

This is sounding like the best expansion ever. I fuckin' hoard those trinkets.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

How does tanking in Eso differ from tanking in wow?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

A lot of ways, like, if threat even exists, it is coded to be more random. So the tanks rely on a lot of taunting, of which only single taunts exist, but they last for, like, eighteen seconds or something.

Tanking is also not a "one guy holds all the mobs" situation in this game, everyone has to be able to kite and dodge and take a hit. Tank's job is to grab a couple of the biggest hitters and just keep them busy, etc.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

bradybunch posted:

How does tanking in Eso differ from tanking in wow?

The big difference is that it's virtually non-existent. For example, I have been able to tank a majority of the dungeons in the game on my stamina-based sorcerer in full medium armor, up to and including some of the hard mode achievements which require you to leave additional monsters up while tanking the main boss. The same thing applies with my magicka-based nightblade, which with a few gear swaps, goes from a full on glass cannon DPS build into a tanky DPS build that can tank everything with no issue at all.

Of course, Zenimax is trying their hardest to further kill the tanking aspect of dungeons by artificially increasing the difficulty of tanking by gimping players however they can (no stamina regen while blocking, DoTs will no longer apply to the NB Siphoning Attacks skill, further reducing the usefulness of the Templar class).

The fact that heavy armor has absolutely no worthwhile bonuses beyond increased health and a minor reduction to the cost of blocking isn't helping either.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Made an orc DK named War Garbol on pc na. I'm enjoying the game, so far.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

radiatinglines posted:

Made an orc DK named War Garbol on pc na. I'm enjoying the game, so far.

Got the game a couple days ago alongside a very cheap 60 day premium code from G2A. Just hit level 20 on my Imperial Templar (DC), also really liking it. Definitely has a WoW feeling to it, except with an Elder Scrolls skin (not that I mind, I loved WoW).

There's really no wrong class/gear combinations is there? I usually play a DPS type role end-game, and I've been rolling medium armor stamina-based 2H DPS with my Templar. That's not anything that'd be frowned upon or wouldn't hold up to the end-game is it?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dvsilverwing posted:

There's really no wrong class/gear combinations is there? I usually play a DPS type role end-game, and I've been rolling medium armor stamina-based 2H DPS with my Templar. That's not anything that'd be frowned upon or wouldn't hold up to the end-game is it?
Some classes work better than others with specific gear but as a general rule each weapon and class has skill that synergize well between each other and allow you to still perform respectably.
Also a lot of endgame (in my admittedly limited experience compared to others here) revolves around having situational awareness to be able to avoid almost insta-kill attacks from bosses and prioritize which enemies to kill first and interrupt.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Welp... I am failing to have time. Mostly just sitting around afk in another game while working.

Tanking is one of my favorite things to do in an MMO. Much more so than dps. Heal/buff is my second favorite. It's weird that they have such variation of dps across burst and sustain, but no real tank options and heal/buff options are a bit gimped by the odd targeting system.

Hopefully life relents and I can play again.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I made a DK to tank :(

And I guess to be imperial you need an expansion? Do they choose a faction?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the best part of wearing heavy armor in this and in any game is that you look cooler than people who are not

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

radiatinglines posted:

I made a DK to tank :(

And I guess to be imperial you need an expansion? Do they choose a faction?

The Imperial edition lets you play as Imperial that chooses whichever faction to join. I've played as Imperials since Morrowind so definitely wanted to play them in ESO. I'm guessing there's no Imperial Legion presence in this game, which kind of sucks because I loved the Imperial Legion quest series in Morrowind.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you can beat them up in the pvp zone!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dvsilverwing posted:

The Imperial edition lets you play as Imperial that chooses whichever faction to join. I've played as Imperials since Morrowind so definitely wanted to play them in ESO. I'm guessing there's no Imperial Legion presence in this game, which kind of sucks because I loved the Imperial Legion quest series in Morrowind.

There are Imperial based questlines in some of the higher level areas, it just so happens that all of it is you trying to stop the Imperials from taking over.

E: Class and role combos - yeah the game allows you to do almost any role with any class, it's just that there are certain combinations that are just much, much better and thus become the preferred meta.

Regarding Templars, they're not in a very good position right now, and Thieves Guild is certainly not going to do them any favors. Quite the opposite in fact. Zenimax claims that they are aware of the frustrations that people have with the class, but like DragonKnights, it's going to be a long time before they get any significant positive changes. This is mainly due to their track record, where the studio does not like jmplementing gradual, fragmented changes, instead preferring to do mass changes packaged in with DLC.

They also tend to rely too much on the metrics provided by a small group of streamers, which just so happen to be the elite raiding groups, which completely goes opposite to their current MO (making the game easy for the casual player who wants Skyrim 2: Electric Boogaloo).

From all of this, the majority of dedicated (i.e. the guys who are the first to jump on the PTS, the first to provide feedback, and the ones who provide most of the discussion on their forums) pretty much believe that the developers don't have any clear vision whatsoever regarding the future direction of the game.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Scyantific posted:

There are Imperial based questlines in some of the higher level areas, it just so happens that all of it is you trying to stop the Imperials from taking over.

But I want the Legion to control everything. :(

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wow, it costs 2100 crowns to upgrade to the imperial edition, but you can only buy a pack of 3000 for $25. Most of the other poo poo is 1000 crowns, so I'd be 100 short. Fuckers.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

radiatinglines posted:

Wow, it costs 2100 crowns to upgrade to the imperial edition, but you can only buy a pack of 3000 for $25. Most of the other poo poo is 1000 crowns, so I'd be 100 short. Fuckers.

https://www.g2a.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-60-days-plus-membership-cd-key-global.html

3000 crowns + 60 days of premium for like $15

It says it's not compatible with the Steam copy of the game, but I just went into my ESO account page on the ESO website and entered the code in and it worked fine.

Edit: I actually have no clue how it couldn't be compatible with the Steam version of the game, there's no difference in what your account page shows whether or not you have the Steam version or not, you still activate the Tamriel Unlimited code on your ESO account page anyway. I guess some mong probably tried to activate the code on Steam's product activation at some point and then requested a refund.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 11, 2016

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the best part of wearing heavy armor in this and in any game is that you look cooler than people who are not

Not in this game unfortunately. When your cute little heavy armor is a duster, get back to me.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Dvsilverwing posted:

But I want the Legion to control everything. :(

Cool, daedra worshipper.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I really dig the style of the armor and the crisp shininess of the graphics in general in this game. It's a shame y'all didn't pick orcs / bretons / redguards, because that's clearly the coolest faction.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

radiatinglines posted:

I really dig the style of the armor and the crisp shininess of the graphics in general in this game. It's a shame y'all didn't pick orcs / bretons / redguards, because that's clearly the coolest faction.

Yeah, alphabeti-cool.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

radiatinglines posted:

Dude, get with AD party. People talkin' about anal, art films and how bad tanking is while giving away free poo poo on the reg and being the nicest groupers I've seen.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'll make an argonian as soon as I come up with a name.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Bad-With-Names.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

JackBadass posted:

Not in this game unfortunately. When your cute little heavy armor is a duster, get back to me.

wow look at this hilariously bad opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

wow look at this hilariously bad opinion

Sorry, but I can't hear you over how much better I look in my light and medium armor than your ugly rear end heavy armor with no benefits.

• Locked thread