Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chitoryu12 posted:

Peanut butter contains added sugar to make it sweet (which is why it pairs so well with chocolate)

Only if you buy the variety with added sugar. In its most basic (and best) form, peanut butter is just made of peanuts. Most varieties have emulsifiers added, some have sugar and salt added as well. And you certainly don't need the type with sugar for it work with chocolate. Have you never eaten chocolate with whole peanuts (or pieces of peanuts) in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

pienipple posted:

There are other products that do what soylent aims to do while actually having standards and nutritionists involved.

I tasted 100% Food once and it was pretty good. It's still a pretty niche product but it tastes better than pretty much any meal or protein drink I've ever tasted, if it was less expensive I wouldn't mind having a few servings around for when I'm too tired or in pain to make something better.

You could see a rat scurrying at the edge of the frame in one of the Soylent Kickstarter videos.

I have had to drink all my nutrition as "medical food" because of broken stomach, and there are several different varieties developed, as you say, by actual nutritionists and manufactured in regularly inspected plants.

Rhinehart also wears disposable jumpsuits that he gets shipped from China instead of actual clothes.

The whole thing is monetized autism.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

You could see a rat scurrying at the edge of the frame in one of the Soylent Kickstarter videos.

I have had to drink all my nutrition as "medical food" because of broken stomach, and there are several different varieties developed, as you say, by actual nutritionists and manufactured in regularly inspected plants.

Rhinehart also wears disposable jumpsuits that he gets shipped from China instead of actual clothes.

The whole thing is monetized autism.

Even better he justifies this that all the clothes are made from synthetic fibers so it's actually better than traditional cotton/etc, as well as washing them would cost too much resources so it's easier to just give them away to goodwill. Dude is literally insane.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

Only if you buy the variety with added sugar. In its most basic (and best) form, peanut butter is just made of peanuts. Most varieties have emulsifiers added, some have sugar and salt added as well. And you certainly don't need the type with sugar for it work with chocolate. Have you never eaten chocolate with whole peanuts (or pieces of peanuts) in it?

And even if you get the kind with sugar and salt added, a spoonful of sugar in a jarful of peanut butter isn't going to corrupt your precious bodily fluids unless you're eating so much peanut butter that sugar is the least of your problems.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

And even if you get the kind with sugar and salt added, a spoonful of sugar in a jarful of peanut butter isn't going to corrupt your precious bodily fluids unless you're eating so much peanut butter that sugar is the least of your problems.

Corrupt? I'm not sure where this train of thought is going.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I work in contract food service. Our public k-12 sector has to figure out how to produce school meals for as little at 15 cents a plate food cost, and still turn a small profit. We can do this better, cheaper, safer etc than school systems themselves. Suffice to say it's uh, a little difficult to pull off and not be gross.

And I would never ever take up the challenge to do this stuff.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

skylined! posted:

I work in contract food service. Our public k-12 sector has to figure out how to produce school meals for as little at 15 cents a plate food cost, and still turn a small profit. We can do this better, cheaper, safer etc than school systems themselves. Suffice to say it's uh, a little difficult to pull off and not be gross.

This is like a cuisine snuff film.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

skylined! posted:

15 loving cents, Jesus.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

If this were 1976 (rough guess) and I saw this in the Safeway, I would loving buy this. And then I would eat it. In the dark. Alone. And then drink a glass of scotch by myself and peer into the street, looking cranky.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

chitoryu12 posted:

One of my favorite space food stories is that South Korea spent millions of dollars to develop a form of space kimchi. They wanted it to be totally sterile and bacteria-free without compromising on the taste and texture AND have a long enough shelf life for space travel. Millions of dollars just so the first Korean astronaut could bring his food from home.

Ban Space Kimchi

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I am gonna invoke No Pizza Rules here. 1st one looks like a decent home made pizza but with poor plating/lighting letting it down.

2nd one looks a bit moist but maybe fine; I would test to see if base was soggy before eating.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

This is just roasted garlic, man, come on. Roasted garlic is delicious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is this a roasted garlic? Why is this here? That's delicious.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sleeveless posted:

Sugar was brought up because the original topic was peanut sauce. Jif is a staple for me for sandwiches and crackers, but making a peanut sauce with it would be like making mole with Hershey's syrup.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Someone's probably gonna freak out looking at the garlic. It looks an alien egg that got cracked and reveals a bunch of half-developed alien embryos covered in eggy afterbirth, no?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gridlocked posted:

I am gonna invoke No Pizza Rules here. 1st one looks like a decent home made pizza but with poor plating/lighting letting it down.

2nd one looks a bit moist but maybe fine; I would test to see if base was soggy before eating.

Seems soggy, not soggy, a bit soggy pizza.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cash crab posted:

If this were 1976 (rough guess) and I saw this in the Safeway, I would loving buy this. And then I would eat it. In the dark. Alone. And then drink a glass of scotch by myself and peer into the street, looking cranky.

I'm looking forward to when that is my life. Maybe sit on the porch and grumble about kids living in the neighborhood. My roof and fenced in lawn festooned with lost space Frisbees and future balls and what not.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

skylined! posted:

most college kids would eat that for 15 cents.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

poop dood posted:

This is just roasted garlic, man, come on. Roasted garlic is delicious.

Tiggum posted:

Is this a roasted garlic? Why is this here? That's delicious.

Looks bad, Todd. Like some weird pod full of gooified grubs. Delicious, but ugly.

That said, I really like the look of those pizzas. The first one even looks like it might have hot sauce on it. Mmm.

#nopizzarules

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

skylined! posted:

This sort of situation is exactly why you can't run public services like a business. Next time someone brings up the fact the Post Office doesn't make enough profit or any other service, I'm going to remind them of lovely school food.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

School lunch chat: remember that schools are government institutions. Most states require that schools take bids on services on a regular basis for the sake of "efficiency and value" (read: cost-cutting measures). The same rules require the schools to accept the lowest bid that fully meets the requirements.

There's this giant corporate hell called Aramark. And they've figured out the secret sauce of underbidding the lunchladies - get rid of the current personnel, hire people at minimum wage with no benefits, aggressively negotiate bulk rates from suppliers, provide the absolute minimum required nutrition and keep the legal department busy trying to loophole the minimum towards less. They don't actually give a flying gently caress about taste or nutrition, their goal is to turn the maximum profit on that fifteen cents.

And that's what gets you abominations like these:

Single-serve precooked stuff, so we don't have to hire the expensive monkeys who can follow recipes like "Dump bag A in the pot, dump in bag B of sauce, heat" or who can follow portion-control guidelines. Instead they can hire the cheaper monkeys who just have to count $number_of_students of each item, steam them in a steam kettle, and put one of each on the tray.

It's a 1/2 cup scoop of tater tot hotdish, a tablespoon of applesauce, and a quarter of an orange. Tada, one meat (the meat and sauce of the hotdish), one side (the tater tots in the hotdish), and two fruits or vegetables, all in amounts that wouldn't satisfy a kindergartner.

And we wonder why the kids would rather hit up the vending machines.

e.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

This sort of situation is exactly why you can't run public services like a business. Next time someone brings up the fact the Post Office doesn't make enough profit or any other service, I'm going to remind them of lovely school food.

The sad part? That's one of the best looking school meals I've ever seen.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Feb 10, 2016

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Quote is not edit

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Scathach posted:

#nopizzarules

This looks like heaven. Nothing superfluous. A resounding "would."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Absolutely would, in fact not sure that I haven't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dabir posted:

Absolutely would, in fact not sure that I haven't.

Fold that fucker in half and dunk it in tzatziki sauce. Boom.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

you're drastically overcomplicating the kebab pizza

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Dienes posted:

Its also made in a crazy engineer's shack with no real oversight and no real training or expertise. One of his earlier rounds of soylent nearly put him in the hospital for anemia because, in his zeal to spike soylent with the power of goji berries or some such bullshit, he forgot that we need IRON to function.

This is the same man that tried to kill off all his gut flora so he wouldn't need to waste time pooping. He is not well-versed in human health or nutrition.

What the gently caress?

Is there a thread about this guy somewhere I may have found a third trainwreck to obsess about (the other two being bitcoin and star citizen)

God I love trainwrecks.

Also I love gyros, thanks thread for reminding me they exist.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Semisponge posted:

What the gently caress?

Is there a thread about this guy somewhere I may have found a third trainwreck to obsess about (the other two being bitcoin and star citizen)

God I love trainwrecks.

Also I love gyros, thanks thread for reminding me they exist.

I used to read this one but I don't think there's been any posts in a while:

The founder of Soylent lives in a hovel with no electricity, is insane.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dabir posted:

you're drastically overcomplicating the kebab pizza

Kebab pizza with french fries, garlic sauce, and fresh tomatoes (to make you feel like you're eating healthily) is the greatest hungover food.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

There is an odd amount of people trying to resell that sick poo poo on Craigslist.

I wonder how long it'll be until someone dies from malnutrition?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Scathach posted:

There is an odd amount of people trying to resell that sick poo poo on Craigslist.

I don't think a high level of buyer's remorse is all that odd.

Fun fact: In the Bay Area, Soylent has a food truck.

I mean, a "food" truck.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty accurate, unfortunately.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

One of my favorite space food stories is that South Korea spent millions of dollars to develop a form of space kimchi. They wanted it to be totally sterile and bacteria-free without compromising on the taste and texture AND have a long enough shelf life for space travel. Millions of dollars just so the first Korean astronaut could bring his food from home.

:confused: how is longevity a concern for kimchi? I've never had a jar go bad before I could eat it all. The last 5 gallon jar I bought lasted a year.

Man, I should eat more kimchi

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You have to pay for the school lunch? It's just easier to make it subscription based so you don't give any money to the kids.

Our ingenious solution to this problem: Just give the food away for free, you stupid fucks.

Also, the food is actual food, made from real ingredients, in the school kitchen. And you generally get to fill your own plate however you like, however many times you like.

(Also, sugar in peanut butter? Your weird american ways confuse us)

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
I've went from page one to page 374, and therefore, I allow myself to post this:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

rndmnmbr posted:

School lunch chat: remember that schools are government institutions. Most states require that schools take bids on services on a regular basis for the sake of "efficiency and value" (read: cost-cutting measures). The same rules require the schools to accept the lowest bid that fully meets the requirements.

Also remember that U.S. schools are funded and managed at a local or county level, and they're all different. Don't look at the worst of those lunches and say "oh gosh I can't believe all American children are fed that poo poo," because the quality of the food varies from district to district. And don't assume that all districts are pulling this fifteen-cents-let's-maximize-profits poo poo, because tons of them aren't. The unfortunate ones that do have to make that tough choice are usually the poorer districts who are faced with decisions like "Should we drop down to a single foreign language so we can afford to feed the kids this year?" and "We only really need one custodian, right?" :smith:

Phosphine posted:

Our ingenious solution to this problem: Just give the food away for free, you stupid fucks.

Hahaha what the gently caress, you're talking crazy talk, dude, hahaha

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The soylent guy reminds of of Mohammed Atta

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/09/140321495/the-banality-of-evil-following-the-steps-to-sept-11

quote:

"Atta was, above all, dutiful. He was a fellow who would do what he was told," McDermott says. "He was a capable guy, and he was bright, but he just had no initiative of his own."

McDermott found out from a roommate that Atta hated to eat. He found it boring. He used to boil a bag of potatoes, mash them up, and leave a mound on a plate in the refrigerator. When he was hungry, he would simply grab a spoon and take a chunk out of his potato mountain.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pomp posted:

:confused: how is longevity a concern for kimchi? I've never had a jar go bad before I could eat it all. The last 5 gallon jar I bought lasted a year.

Man, I should eat more kimchi

I think it's because they also had to sterilize the kimchi to remove any remaining bacteria (which you don't really want to spread in a space station that you're trying to keep sterile), which has the side effect of eliminating the microorganisms that are actually participating in keeping the kimchi preserved.

They actually started the development for Ko San, but they suddenly switched him out for Yi So-yeon after San supposedly violated security procedures twice (meaning he couldn't keep his mouth shut about secret stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

That looks like a margherita pizza made with basil pesto, I would so very hard.

• Locked thread