Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they also introduced some of the characters

Brigitta Ulrich

Height: 170cm

Due to her patriotism and strong sense of justice, she submitted herself aptitude inspection when the Vanargand was being formed. She wasn’t very skilled, but they recognized her potential so she joined the corps and now she’s a sergeant. She was raised in a household of teachers, so she’s very serious and intelligent, but supposedly she’s another person entirely when she holds a gun…

Blum Thomason

Height: 170cm

A boy born in the shopping district of Jutland’s capital city Elsinore. He’s good with his hands and messed around with products that use Ragnite. His childhood friend Helena forced him to submit himself to the Vanargand aptitude inspection, and then he ends up enlisting.

Helena Andersen

Height: 165cm

A showgirl for a cafe in the capital city Elsinore. To save the country, she submitted herself to aptitude inspection for the Vanargand. A girl with a strong ambition who hates to lose, she is a little irritated when her childhood friend Blum, who she submitted to inspection with, receives a higher aptitude.

Vanargand

In order for the Jutland Kingdom to oppose the Empire’s Valkyria, an elite unit named the Vanargand was formed. It is a “Ragnite Elite” group whose members are chosen only on their Ragnite suitability, which are a source of Magic Arts, and regardless of military experience. Each uses a Magic-Ready Weapon created through Ragnite. With its strength of a thousand men, the unit can fight against even enemy tanks on equal terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

How's this compare to the Shining games Media Vision have been pumping out in Japan?
it's got a couple of similarities, but seems faster and obviously has the gun stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIE1CGlc4h4&t=76s

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
^^E: that did look a bit similar

ImpAtom posted:

Media Vision only did two of the Shining games IIRC. Their last game was actually Digimon: Cyber Sleuth which just got a US release. Primarily they've been working on Chaos Rings for mobile.

It doesn't really seem to resemble any of those tho'.

Could have sworn they worked on multiple psp shining games (but yeah of course I'm wrong).

I was curious because from what little I remember they were an earlier attempt at mixing Valkyria-like combat with a more traditional jrpg structure.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Rinkles posted:

Could have sworn they worked on multiple psp shining games (but yeah of course I'm wrong).

I was curious because from what little I remember they were an earlier attempt at mixing Valkyria-like combat with a more traditional jrpg structure.

No, you're right, Shining Blade which as far as I can tell from looking up gameplay videos on youtube was pretty much "what if Valkyria Chronicles mechanics but in a standard fantasy setting, also let's stop trying to get around the PSP limitations on map size" and Shining Ark which took that, switched it to individual character initiative and gave you a permanently AI controlled party member who's actions were dictated by their mood which was affected by datesim type stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope they work on those hitstuns because it looks kinda budgety whenever the swords hit the soldier. That weird delay is really bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, the new Valkyria thing looks pretty neat. I never found myself getting attached to the other ones enough to sit through an LP of them but that looks promising if only because there're no turns anymore and I'm a sucker for a decen-ish action JRPG

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It looks like a mix between Gungrave and Tales with all of the fun surgically removed. However, the gameplay mix is kind of interesting, with some potential, and I liked the music at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk, it's tutorial missions. presumably the enemy AI will be way more active when they aren't training dummies.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Plus it's "Demo 1.0", so it's like Episode Duscae: a partially completed build that they're tossing out for feedback.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
At first I rolled my eyes at stuff like MGS5 Ground Zeroes or Episode Duscae or whatever but they actually do use that stuff to gauge gameplay and get feedback and make the final product better so it's clearly a really good idea.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

idk, it's tutorial missions. presumably the enemy AI will be way more active when they aren't training dummies.
I dunnnnnnnnno these days!!

I thought the video looked fun, I've only watched about half of it so far. It's enough to keep my interest up.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I also thought it looked reaaaaaaaaal boring and tedious, but hopefully that's just tutorial levels and not all the mechanics being opened up yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HGH posted:

My last comment was just because I was already seeing people go "How dare they use the Valkyria name on this" and getting annoyed at the lack of turnbased strategy. I was surprised how some don't really keep up with info but were still so seemingly invested.

Its a valid complaint though, because its damned either way. Either it shits the bed and kills Valkyria off for good, or it does well and we only get more like it instead of any chance of another pseudo-WW2 strategy RPG.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Its a valid complaint though, because its damned either way. Either it shits the bed and kills Valkyria off for good, or it does well and we only get more like it instead of any chance of another pseudo-WW2 strategy RPG.

if there's no hope either way then i don't see what people would be upset about

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There wasn't really a big chance of that to begin with to be honest. Even with the Steam release they weren't exactly overwhelmed with Valkyria popularity.

Also like, this isn't even the first RPG from Sega to do this and I promise you a good portion of the people whining are Phantasy Star Online fans.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Also like, this isn't even the first RPG from Sega to do this and I promise you a good portion of the people whining are Phantasy Star Online fans.

Or classic series PS fans. At least the previous anniversary/festa events encompassed those as well, the current one for PSO2 seems to be only Online/Univese/Portable/Zero/Online 2. So Nei and Rika are AWOL but here's everybody's favorite character Ethan loving Waber.

Granted I don't think the Sega of today, or the last 15 years, could make something that stands up to Phantasy Star IV anyway so no real loss I guess.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or the new one tanks but the remake of the original sells gangbusters and shows them what people want.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Granted I don't think the Sega of today, or the last 15 years, could make something that stands up to Phantasy Star IV anyway so no real loss I guess.

Hell, I'd settle for the aborted PS2 remake. Even if Sega still had the chops, any attempt at a new sequel would be immediately crushed under the weight of literal decades of pent-up expectations. I'm not even sure if Atlus could pull it off if they were handed the reigns.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Or the new one tanks but the remake of the original sells gangbusters and shows them what people want.

I doubt that'll happen, and either way it's the same problem of VC selling, but only years later at a steep discount.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I wouldn't want a modern Phantasy Star. Phantasy Star was very much a product of its era. The character designs and general feel were firmly grounded in a specific style of mid-80's/90's anime that they're just not going to be able to replicate and any attempt to do it as a modern style would probably have only the most superficial resemblance to the original franchise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 10, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I wouldn't want a modern Phantasy Star. Phantasy Star was very much a product of its era. The character designs and general feel with firmly grounded in a specific style of mid-80's/90's anime that they're just not going to be able to replicate and any attempt to do it as a modern style would probably have only the most superficial resemblance to the original franchise.

In my mind I know you're right and it's something I've come to terms with, but my heart yearns for more of that era character designs regardless.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I wouldn't want a modern Phantasy Star. Phantasy Star was very much a product of its era. The character designs and general feel with firmly grounded in a specific style of mid-80's/90's anime that they're just not going to be able to replicate and any attempt to do it as a modern style would probably have only the most superficial resemblance to the original franchise.

I kind of agree that Phantasy Star 5 probably shouldn't be made but it would be nice to see an actual sci-fi JRPG series these days which isn't Star Ocean.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its not like final fantasy tactics killed final fantasy, or etrian mystery dungeon etrian odyssey, or the dozens of pokemon spinoffs pokemon and so on

anyway, has there ever been an rpg where the hero, when confronted by an obvious backstabbing advisor or another of the slimy and shady sort has just killed them and got the whole thing over with? same goes for all those drat scenes where a bad guy invites you to their place to taunt you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davincie posted:

its not like final fantasy tactics killed final fantasy, or etrian mystery dungeon etrian odyssey, or the dozens of pokemon spinoffs pokemon and so on

anyway, has there ever been an rpg where the hero, when confronted by an obvious backstabbing advisor or another of the slimy and shady sort has just killed them and got the whole thing over with? same goes for all those drat scenes where a bad guy invites you to their place to taunt you

In Tales of Vesperia Yuri is confronted with a scheming dude who gets away with his plan and just goes in and murders him dead.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone tried final fantasy ix on mobile yet? Thinking of getting it on iPad as long as it does not have that retarded loving stupid DRM preventing me from playing it on the plane? I've got 28 hours of flying over the next three weeks and this would be perfect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I kind of agree that Phantasy Star 5 probably shouldn't be made but it would be nice to see an actual sci-fi JRPG series these days which isn't Star Ocean.

Cosmic Star Heroine seems to be shaping up nicely, at least.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You can keep hoping for Anachronox 2.

:smith:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Did PSIV end on a cliffhanger or something?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nope, it wrapped up the whole series pretty well even.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

yes but where else are you gonna get a game where one of the main characters has a degree in jrpg battles

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It's a crime that there isn't a Suikoden 6 yet. It's the one title that would get me to grab a PS4 before the next console generation rolled out and everything plummeted in price.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

It's a crime that there isn't a Suikoden 6 yet. It's the one title that would get me to grab a PS4 before the next console generation rolled out and everything plummeted in price.

"Yet" meaning "this will literally never happen." Everyone meaningful attached to Suikoden has moved on and Konami has left the video game business almost entirely and the last two Suikoden games were failed attempts at low-budget soft reboots due to it not justifying console release numbers anymore.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Verranicus posted:

In the last Suikoden game you only got 18 of the 108 stars of destiny as usable characters. I don't want to know what the next crap they'd slap the Suikoden on would look like.

And doesn't the Phantasy Star Online series count as the direct continuation of the Phantasy Star series? Some of the earlier ones might not have had much going on plot-wise, but at the very least the PSO Portable games had pretty complete story arcs and, despite their focus on multiplayer, could probably be classed as normal action RPGs.

Sega doesn't need to make another Phantasy Star game because they'll just keep making new versions of PSO forever.

Anyone know why we didn't get PSO2?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not every game franchise needs to be iterated upon in perpetuity. Some things stick around, some end, others fade away. It's best to move on; the people who worked on those games back in the day certainly have.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Honestly I just want the guys who wrote the stories for these series to go 'you know what, maybe we don't need to make them games' and just write some original novel series based in the worlds they created. I hate how JRPGs force you to deal with gameplay to see their stories. I just want the stories, honestly. Why can't the next Suikoden or Wild Arms or whatever be a cool long novel series where they don't have to try to balance gameplay with plot and just have 100% plot.

Is what I think until I remember that 99% of Japanese novels aimed at teens are paint-by-numbers wish-fulfilment harem comedy BS.

But at the very least it seems kind of odd that no Japanese author (or person at Squeenix) has said 'Hey let's have a Final Fantasy novel series that is an original story with Final Fantasy series trademarks in it rather than a novelization of one of the games'. I mean they made that weird rear end CG movie that was its own thing, why not roll the dice on light novels, which are crazy popular right now?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the wild arms writer is too busy writing multiple seasons of the best musical action anime ever made, and i wouldn't rather see them do anything else

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 10, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Getsuya posted:

But at the very least it seems kind of odd that no Japanese author (or person at Squeenix) has said 'Hey let's have a Final Fantasy novel series that is an original story with Final Fantasy series trademarks in it rather than a novelization of one of the games'. I mean they made that weird rear end CG movie that was its own thing, why not roll the dice on light novels, which are crazy popular right now?

I think a novel is where all that weird post-FFX-2 poo poo came from.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Those exist, they're called fantasy books

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

ImpAtom posted:

"Yet" meaning "this will literally never happen." Everyone meaningful attached to Suikoden has moved on and Konami has left the video game business almost entirely and the last two Suikoden games were failed attempts at low-budget soft reboots due to it not justifying console release numbers anymore.

Yeah. It's really sad what happened to Suikoden, but I feel like it was almost doomed to fail at some point. The ambition of its massive persistent continuity was both a blessing and a curse, eventually it fell into the trap of creating more questions than it answered and was swallowed whole by its own mythology. Trying to wrap all that up in one game and stick the landing while also bringing in enough new people to justify its existence feels kind of impossible, like Shenmue's crazy-rear end 13-part plan or the idea of there ever being more than three Xenosaga games.

Maybe if Murayama had stuck around the series could've stayed on track and concluded in a satisfying manner rather than trailing off and going totally cold, but who knows. I'd like to see more Suikoden-inspired original works just as much as an actual Suikoden continuation at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Delsaber posted:

Yeah. It's really sad what happened to Suikoden, but I feel like it was almost doomed to fail at some point. The ambition of its massive persistent continuity was both a blessing and a curse, eventually it fell into the trap of creating more questions than it answered and was swallowed whole by its own mythology. Trying to wrap all that up in one game and stick the landing while also bringing in enough new people to justify its existence feels kind of impossible, like Shenmue's crazy-rear end 13-part plan or the idea of there ever being more than three Xenosaga games.

Maybe if Murayama had stuck around the series could've stayed on track and concluded in a satisfying manner rather than trailing off and going totally cold, but who knows. I'd like to see more Suikoden-inspired original works just as much as an actual Suikoden continuation at this point.

There was supposed to be six Xenosaga games, so that might have actually happened had 2 been successful. That failed enough for them to just cram everything into the 3rd game apparently. Its too bad because its pretty clear where part 3 should have ended.