Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

3rd Floor Meeting Room 1 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Yeah ours are named like 8R.09 Hyrule - 8th floor, right wing, 9th numbered in some sort of order from the entry (so you can hunt easier when it's in a part of the office you're not normally in) and then whatever theme they came up with.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

spog posted:

That's just awesome!

What the hell is wrong with using names such as 'Meeting Room 1' and 'Meeting Room 2' like the entire world uses?

Ours are named after famous people, leading to statements like "Can I switch rooms with you, there's no way I'm getting ten people in Ghandi"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

luminalflux posted:

This happened at my previous job, but it also made the national tabloid we ran when the VP of Sales went to Oslo the city and not Oslo the meeting room in our new Stockholm office. No, he didn't sanity check it since it's a Norwegian company and meetings at the Oslo HQ are pretty frequent.

:O That's a ridiculous thing to have happen but actually makes sense, not least of which because as VP of Sales, being called to the head office is, I'm guessing, not that unusual an occurrence.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to have to try naming some of our meeting rooms after notorious shitholes to see if people try and avoid them.

"Sorry I can't make that meeting in Elephant and Castle, uh, something came up."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

All our meeting rooms are Star Wars names.

Let me tell you about the time I tried to get five guys in Princess Leia

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ConfusedUs posted:

You got peanut shells all over the floor?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:rimshot:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:drat:

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Ours are named after famous people, leading to statements like "Can I switch rooms with you, there's no way I'm getting ten people in Ghandi"

Our office, in their infinite wisdom, named our meetings rooms after current and former employees. Somehow the joke isn't quite as funny when you have to look around the office and make sure the person in question isn't within earshot before you fire away.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

duz posted:

You got peanut shells all over the floor?

gently caress now I want a burger. :burger:

Can I open a ticket to my boss for that?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I was tasked with updating the script that runs our digital signage system so it's not terrible. Part of this task, obviously, is to document what I had done. I was planning on just updating the old documentation, but then they sent me the old documentation which they decided to do in PowerPoint for some reason.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
A Ticket Came In.... from my mom.

She's got a lovely HP all in one that somehow forgets that it's on the network every time the router at her house resets and I can't figure out how to get it to stop that crap.

And no the solution is not to throw out the printer, sorry. Any ideas?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Update the firmware. Assign a static IP. Set up an offsite backup server for your favorite japanese anime dubs at her house, hardline the printer, and share it. Throw it down the staircase a couple times and then return it to its customary place in on her desk so that though she is required to purchase a new one, you have not technically thrown it out.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

ConfusedUs posted:

We have the exact same thing.

Nobody ever wants to hold a meeting in Padme.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was asked today to create a meeting room in Outlook and call it "the quiet room" and set it for max people as 1. It's a room with 1 chair and a phone. No window, locked door.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
nothing to see here.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 12, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GreenNight posted:

I was asked today to create a meeting room in Outlook and call it "the quiet room" and set it for max people as 1. It's a room with 1 chair and a phone. No window, locked door.
We have two of these in my office and they are amazing for productivity.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ghostlight posted:

Is there a hole cut into the wall between these two rooms? Possibly with a removable covering, and/or the words 'Eternal Glory' written around it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ghostlight posted:

Yes but the word is that these are to be used by expectant mothers and no one else. Of course that's not official policy so we'll see.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Expectant mothers only and max people of 1? It's unusual for a company to take such a definite political stance on the abortion debate .

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GreenNight posted:

Yes but the word is that these are to be used by expectant mothers and no one else. Of course that's not official policy so we'll see.

What?

Are they seriously saying it's so pregnant women have a room to get all weepy and emotional in?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kurieg posted:

What?

Are they seriously saying it's so pregnant women have a room to get all weepy and emotional in?

Could be an unofficial breast feeding room.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, except it's "Expectant"?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurieg posted:

What, you think they'd permit paid time off to go birth the baby?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

ErIog posted:

I was tasked with updating the script that runs our digital signage system so it's not terrible. Part of this task, obviously, is to document what I had done. I was planning on just updating the old documentation, but then they sent me the old documentation which they decided to do in PowerPoint for some reason.
I mean, you wanna show your documentation to other people, right? What better way to do it!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

duz posted:

Could be an unofficial breast feeding room.

Kurieg posted:

It's a pumping room. Pregnant and post-partem mothers can use breast pumps to fill baby's milk bottles in these private rooms.

Come on, goons :rolleyes:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We have some of those and we just call them "lactation room" lol.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Wilford Cutlery posted:

It's a pumping room. Pregnant and post-partem mothers can use breast pumps to fill baby's milk bottles in these private rooms.

Come on, goons :rolleyes:

Lactation doesn't typically begin before the birth of the child. And since it's for expectant mothers, no one's allowed in post-partem. The likely explanation is that someone at that office doesn't understand what "expectant" means, or maybe they're really concerned about morning sickness.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mr. Fix It posted:

Lactation doesn't typically begin before the birth of the child. And since it's for expectant mothers, no one's allowed in post-partem. The likely explanation is that someone at that office doesn't understand what "expectant" means, or maybe they're really concerned about morning sickness.

"I'm expecting to get pregnant after the boss raw dogged me in the windowless room with the locking door."

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

One of our domino servers has decided to take a huge poo poo on this one guys inbox.

Apparently there's 108,211 copies of the same 13 MB email. Thank gently caress DAOS was enabled and reduced that down to a simple 60 GB, however he's at a remote site with a 2MB line and it's now trying to download all those new emails. Unduplicated....

This'll be a fun mess to unstick. It's so much that the lovely old domino admin client I have chokes trying to do anything on the file.

I think that's 1404TB.

IllusionistTrixie fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 10, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"I'm expecting to get pregnant after the boss raw dogged me in the windowless room with the locking door."

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
We had The Printer Room. It was a rite of passage. My boss/CEO/Doomsday Prepper had an out builidng on the property that he filled with random crap he bought at liquidation sales, estate auctions, craiglist 'steals' etc.

This out building was an old dormitory that had no power and was just used as storage, and he did a good job of filling it with crap. During my employment there MPC Computers went out of business and he went to their liquidation and came back with a truckload of crap. He had purchased a lot of office furniture and equipment that MPC had used in their own offices. I divided everything up, chairs here, cubicle parts there, old computers in this room, aaand old printers in that room, The Printer Room.

A few months later I was asked to go rustle up another HP 4050 ink cartridge, I go to the printer room and rummage around in the dark like an idiot, looking for the box. I open a bigger box and squint, trying to make sense of what I was seeing. I pulled an old antique porcelain-faced doll out of the box. It was filled with them. So I took them all out of the box and set them around the room, all facing the printer room entrance. Every fresh faced new guy got a taste of the twilight zone when I'd send them out on a bs printer errand.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The CE is trying to build a replicant out of Buffalo devices, but is running into issues where the tech is getting full at lunch and crashing.

Buffalo NAS has a dhcp built in right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Willfrey posted:

We had The Printer Room. It was a rite of passage. My boss/CEO/Doomsday Prepper had an out builidng on the property that he filled with random crap he bought at liquidation sales, estate auctions, craiglist 'steals' etc.

This out building was an old dormitory that had no power and was just used as storage, and he did a good job of filling it with crap. During my employment there MPC Computers went out of business and he went to their liquidation and came back with a truckload of crap. He had purchased a lot of office furniture and equipment that MPC had used in their own offices. I divided everything up, chairs here, cubicle parts there, old computers in this room, aaand old printers in that room, The Printer Room.

A few months later I was asked to go rustle up another HP 4050 ink cartridge, I go to the printer room and rummage around in the dark like an idiot, looking for the box. I open a bigger box and squint, trying to make sense of what I was seeing. I pulled an old antique porcelain-faced doll out of the box. It was filled with them. So I took them all out of the box and set them around the room, all facing the printer room entrance. Every fresh faced new guy got a taste of the twilight zone when I'd send them out on a bs printer errand.

For like half of this story, I thought this was going to tie into the "getting porked by the boss in a room nobody uses" thing. Gives a whole new meaning to "rite of passage."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LordVorbis posted:

One of our domino servers has decided to take a huge poo poo on this one guys inbox.

Apparently there's 108,211 copies of the same 13 MB email. Thank gently caress DAOS was enabled and reduced that down to a simple 60 GB, however he's at a remote site with a 2MB line and it's now trying to download all those new emails. Unduplicated....

This'll be a fun mess to unstick. It's so much that the lovely old domino admin client I have chokes trying to do anything on the file.

I think that's 1404TB.
A Terabyte is 10^12 so it's more like 1.3TB, it's still not gonna download at any reasonable speed over a 2MB line, just a little faster than "heat death of the universe" timeframes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Willfrey posted:

Did they come back with that gleam of innocence in their eyes torn away? :allears:

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
edit: wrong thread

Broletariat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 10, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Willfrey posted:

You are a Very Bad Man and I like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

spog posted:

That's just awesome!

What the hell is wrong with using names such as 'Meeting Room 1' and 'Meeting Room 2' like the entire world uses?

We use phonetic alphabet, which is mostly fine but does still give you the 'can we get 10 guys into Papa' or whatever.

• Locked thread