Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Good luck to any manga ever hoping to live up to Getter though, really.

edit: I was looking up stuff about that upcoming Voltron show and found this article, laughed:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/01/11/we-dont-need-a-new-voltron-on-netflix-we-need-gaogaigar/#3ce62cc9607e

Anyway here's the new Voltron logo I guess

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just finished ep 11 of King Gainer. When they say discontinuation, do they mean putting the whole family to death?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

I just finished ep 11 of King Gainer. When they say discontinuation, do they mean putting the whole family to death?

what's the context? i don't remember discontinuation being used as an important term or anything

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

what's the context? i don't remember discontinuation being used as an important term or anything

Ana's calling her father for the first time after hearing about the discontinuation thing. Her father seems relieved to see her, but then hangs up the call while crying and says that "Even if the Medaiyu family were discontinued... Medaiyu blood will keep flowing as long as Ana is alive."

Then the scene switches to Ana crying while saying thank you. I'm assuming something very bad is about to happen to her family? Or she's just grateful that her father's letting her see the world?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Good luck to any manga ever hoping to live up to Getter though, really.

edit: I was looking up stuff about that upcoming Voltron show and found this article, laughed:

This guy is 100% correct, we need new gaogaigar :colbert:.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Monaghan posted:

This guy is 100% correct, we need new gaogaigar :colbert:.

I haven't seen the show but the mere mention of GaoGaiGar makes me kind of miss Clawshrimpy.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GaoGaiGar is just ok

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

Ana's calling her father for the first time after hearing about the discontinuation thing. Her father seems relieved to see her, but then hangs up the call while crying and says that "Even if the Medaiyu family were discontinued... Medaiyu blood will keep flowing as long as Ana is alive."

Then the scene switches to Ana crying while saying thank you. I'm assuming something very bad is about to happen to her family? Or she's just grateful that her father's letting her see the world?

her dad just disowned her to protect her. he's not really important for the rest of the show, but iirc they don't kill him off or anything. OKG can be sad, but it's not really that dark or tragic.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Man, Votoms would be a better show without the three knuckleheads who follow Chirico everywhere

Erg posted:

I think the idea is that the railroad might take him out of power, thus leaving his fate up in the air

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

GaoGaiGar is just ok

It's one of my favourite shows

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's one of my favourite shows

That's coo, to each their own. I enjoyed it, i just didn't find it super special.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 10, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Parallax posted:

Man, Votoms would be a better show without the three knuckleheads who follow Chirico everywhere

Don't you dare say poo poo about Coconna!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Parallax posted:

Chirico's three buddies are really important components of the core thrust of the show's plot, which is Chirico discovering what it means to be a human being and not an emotionless murder robot. They're absolutely vital in humanizing him.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Don't you dare say poo poo about Coconna!

their whole purpose is basically to come out of nowhere and save Chirico when he most conveniently needs it, it's lame

the episode where Zophie is drudging behind Chirico and Fyana as they go through the desert is tense and great, and then the resolution is somehow Coconna and the gang showing up to save Chirico

Kanos posted:

Chirico's three buddies are really important components of the core thrust of the show's plot, which is Chirico discovering what it means to be a human being and not an emotionless murder robot. They're absolutely vital in humanizing him.

humanizes him as in they love him and he blankly stares back at them? his arc with Fyana accomplishes humanizing Chirico a million times better

Parallax fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 10, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They are really important in the early arcs of the show before Chirico made contact with Fyana. They gave him something to give a poo poo about when he was basically a dead man walking, and all of the moments where Chirico begins to show emotions for the first time are because of them.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Kanos posted:

They are really important in the early arcs of the show before Chirico made contact with Fyana. They gave him something to give a poo poo about when he was basically a dead man walking, and all of the moments where Chirico begins to show emotions for the first time are because of them.
Yeah, considering how it could have gone if it was just Chirico and Fyana, I don't think it would feel right. It feels like the only reason that he can take those first few steps is that they won't leave him alone. That they keep tagging along regardless of whether he engages back is what puts the first few cracks in that shell.

Also, I really like Gotho, Vanilla, and Coconna. Gotho's wardrobe alone is worthwhile!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

Yeah, considering how it could have gone if it was just Chirico and Fyana, I don't think it would feel right. It feels like the only reason that he can take those first few steps is that they won't leave him alone. That they keep tagging along regardless of whether he engages back is what puts the first few cracks in that shell.

Also, I really like Gotho, Vanilla, and Coconna. Gotho's wardrobe alone is worthwhile!

It's also important to note that Fyana starts off as just as much of a soulless loving murder robot as Chirico does. It's Chirico's interactions with the trio that begin to humanize him, and it's Fyana's interactions with the humanized Chirico that begin to humanize her.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen the show but the mere mention of GaoGaiGar makes me kind of miss Clawshrimpy.

When I saw the article I was like "whoa I didn't know Clawshrimpy wrote for forbes!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
is GR: Giant Robo any good?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

is GR: Giant Robo any good?

It's not subtitled beyond the first 2 episodes is what it is.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

It's not subtitled beyond the first 2 episodes is what it is.

The third one's on youtube. But yeah I can't find any beyond that

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've heard it's solidly mediocre at best, but again, not much is subbed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Konaka wrote it so i'm kinda surprised it has stayed unsubbed for almost a decade

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Everyone was really disappointed it wasn't more Giant Robo: The Animation.

I think I remember seeing an episode of GR at a con once and just being bored. It didn't make me want to find more of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, GR is just kind of there. It's meh.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's the consensus on BBK/BRNK? I've been watching it and enjoying it so far. I like how the Oubu(sp?) looks, it sorta reminds me of Syd Mead's designs for the Turn A Gundam and Turn X, especially in the head.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I like it, as do some people. Some other people do not like it. There isn't really a consensus.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm debating whether or not to watch it, because i hate that it became a super robot show in ep2.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not familiar with those acronyms.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

I'm not familiar with those acronyms.

Bubuki/Buranki. It's a currently airing mecha show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And that isn't an acronym. BBK/BRNK is the official name.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's pretty legit. Very super robot, though. It's basically "what if Giant Robo was five teens" but it turns out Giant Robo is the Turn X.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
BBK/BRNK has been alright so far. The studio producing it is getting better at CG animation, or at least they're getting better at hiding the shortcomings. I can see the Giant Robo comparison, the protagonists and antagonists are all fairly colorful, and effectively have super powers. That's on top of the giant robot battles.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Aquarion Logos was super great, even if the second half had some really dumb drama. But I am not entirely sure why it's even an Aquarion show when it has nothing to do with the first two series and could've stood on its own merits just fine.

Also I can not stop snickering at the stupid rear end Shakespearean romantic tragedy that is the main villain's entire backstory: My lover sent me a letter before his execution. BUT I CAN'T READ!

EDIT: Also "AND NOW I WILL INITIATE THE HUMAN INSTRUMENTALITY PROJE- ahahha no, that's dumb, I'm just going to kill everyone." was the best and made up for a lot of how dumb the final battle was. Really a lot of the bad parts of Logos' second half were offset by some silly as poo poo stuff.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 17, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Macross 7 is super frustrating!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I'm going to need to give that another try someday. It's very jarring after immediately coming off first macross.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Parallax posted:

Macross 7 is super frustrating!

more like super great

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
'cause Macross 7 is super great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU