Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Weirdneal posted:

A Mist Hunter with Zuckuss Pilot who uses his ability at Range 3 against Talonbane + cloaked + stealth device + 3 rocks (which can happen with Range 1 spacing and the small rocks) + 2 Trandoshan Slavers with Tactical Jammers in the middle =1+ 4 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 2 = 13 green dice.

Uhhhhh obstructed is a yes/no flat bonus of one die and is not additive at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shots are either obstructed or not. You don't get more than one extra die even if there are ten rocks between you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That still pushes it up to 9 green dice, right? Base 2, +2 for cloak, +1 for Stealth Device, +2 for Range 3, +1 for Zuckuss, +1 for obstruction.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ah but what if you fit someone tossing bodyguard omtonthe mix

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
You only count obstructed once regardless of the number of rocks etc in the way.

e: beaten hard.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there a consistent place/website to get pilot card singles and base tiles?

I have an urge to fly two different Z-95 swarms, but one's Scum and one's Rebels. I basically just need to find 4x Bandit Squadron cards and tiles and I should be golden.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

Is there a consistent place/website to get pilot card singles and base tiles?

I have an urge to fly two different Z-95 swarms, but one's Scum and one's Rebels. I basically just need to find 4x Bandit Squadron cards and tiles and I should be golden.

Ebay. That's about it, really.

Team Covenant used to do "singles" of just cards, ships, etc, but hasn't had any in stock for a long time now.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tekopo posted:

Well, the stealth device statistically matches a hull upgrade only after three attacks against you (2 if focuses) also it is better the more agility dice you have, both due to how focus works and that you are more likely to survive to use it again when you have 3 dice as a base. I wouldn't use it on anything that doesn't have 3 dice base though.

It's not that simple, because stealth device only makes a difference when you take an attack that your other dice wouldn't have made you evade. Specifically, you get a free hit point from it every time you take an attack that would have dealt damage, and roll an evade on your extra dice (or a focus if you are focusing). So, if you don't take any attacks that would have dealt 2 or more damage based on your non-stealth device evasion, the average damage a stealth device will prevent is 0.6 without focusing, and 1.66 with focusing. (if you do take that kind of attack, it's worse, since you'll drop it even if the die comes up in your favour)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's not that simple, because stealth device only makes a difference when you take an attack that your other dice wouldn't have made you evade. Specifically, you get a free hit point from it every time you take an attack that would have dealt damage, and roll an evade on your extra dice (or a focus if you are focusing). So, if you don't take any attacks that would have dealt 2 or more damage based on your non-stealth device evasion, the average damage a stealth device will prevent is 0.6 without focusing, and 1.66 with focusing. (if you do take that kind of attack, it's worse, since you'll drop it even if the die comes up in your favour)

This is fallacious, because the increased number of dice increases the reliability of getting evades out of dice even if you take an attack that was possible to evade without it. You're more likely to roll two evades on three dice than you are on two, even if you can technically evade two hits with two dice. You're still getting utility out of the Stealth Device even when it isn't obviously saving your skin.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Strobe posted:

This is fallacious, because the increased number of dice increases the reliability of getting evades out of dice even if you take an attack that was possible to evade without it. You're more likely to roll two evades on three dice than you are on two, even if you can technically evade two hits with two dice. You're still getting utility out of the Stealth Device even when it isn't obviously saving your skin.

No. It might be helpful to imagine a (mathematically equivalent) upgrade, where instead of adding a dice, it says "after you roll evade dice, if the attack would hit, roll another evade dice". It should hopefully be obvious that a) this works the same as stealth device b) this will only help you if you don't roll enough evades on the other dice.

(however, I did leave out one other advantage of stealth device, which is that sometimes when you have a focus it will let you avoid using that focus)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

No. It might be helpful to imagine a (mathematically equivalent) upgrade, where instead of adding a dice, it says "after you roll evade dice, if the attack would hit, roll another evade dice". It should hopefully be obvious that a) this works the same as stealth device b) this will only help you if you don't roll enough evades on the other dice.

(however, I did leave out one other advantage of stealth device, which is that sometimes when you have a focus it will let you avoid using that focus)

It has an advantage over Crack Shot and Juke too, since you're relatively more capable of rolling more evades than hits and making it ineffective to use.

Rolling more dice on defense is more effective now than it was when there weren't EPTs that modified the defender's dice on the attacker's behalf.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Strobe posted:

It has an advantage over Crack Shot and Juke too, since you're relatively more capable of rolling more evades than hits and making it ineffective to use.

Rolling more dice on defense is more effective now than it was when there weren't EPTs that modified the defender's dice on the attacker's behalf.

No, the same calculus applies as without those, just with the attacker's damage effectively increased by 1. This means they actually make stealth device worse, because they increase the chance of getting hits that would do 2 damage if stealth device wasn't there. (this is the same reason that more green dice make stealth device better, and your opponent having more red dice makes stealth device worse)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That makes sense, but this is the internet so I'm obliged to disagree with you for no reason.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

No, the same calculus applies as without those, just with the attacker's damage effectively increased by 1. This means they actually make stealth device worse, because they increase the chance of getting hits that would do 2 damage if stealth device wasn't there. (this is the same reason that more green dice make stealth device better, and your opponent having more red dice makes stealth device worse)

As someone who is bad at maff whats the statics of Juke vs 1 extra red vs 1 focus vs 1 target lock.

I dont know if theres a break down of all this stuff but it would be cool to have the math up on the OP or something. All I know is focus on 3 red dice is the best.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

kingcom posted:

As someone who is bad at maff whats the statics of Juke vs 1 extra red vs 1 focus vs 1 target lock.

I dont know if theres a break down of all this stuff but it would be cool to have the math up on the OP or something. All I know is focus on 3 red dice is the best.

It's difficult to give a straightforward answer because they all depend on a lot of different things, and you can choose when to use them and so on, but:

A focus is worth about 1/4 of a damage per red dice, or if you spend a target lock it's about 5/16 (since if you re-roll all your blanks about 1/4 of those will be focuses)

A target lock is worth 1/4 of a damage per red dice if you don't have focus (re-roll blanks and focuses, about 1/2 of those will be hits), or 3/16 if you do (re-roll just blanks, but now 3/4 of those will be hits). But it's actually a bit better than that because it's 3/16 of a regular hit and 1/16 of a crit in the first case, and 5/32 of a hit and 1/32 of a crit in the second.

1 extra red is worth 1/2 of a hit (3/8 regular, 1/8 crit) without mods, 3/4 of a hit with focus, 3/4 of a hit with target lock (3/16 of a crit and 9/16 of a regular hit), 15/16 of a hit with both. (5/32 of a crit and 25/32 of a regular hit)

Juke is both more complicated and more simple - it's easy to see under what conditions it takes effect, but the actual likelihood of them depends on what you're firing at, whether your opponent will want to spend the focus on something else, &c

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's difficult to give a straightforward answer because they all depend on a lot of different things, and you can choose when to use them and so on, but:

A focus is worth about 1/4 of a damage per red dice, or if you spend a target lock it's about 5/16 (since if you re-roll all your blanks about 1/4 of those will be focuses)

A target lock is worth 1/4 of a damage per red dice if you don't have focus (re-roll blanks and focuses, about 1/2 of those will be hits), or 3/16 if you do (re-roll just blanks, but now 3/4 of those will be hits). But it's actually a bit better than that because it's 3/16 of a regular hit and 1/16 of a crit in the first case, and 5/32 of a hit and 1/32 of a crit in the second.

1 extra red is worth 1/2 of a hit (3/8 regular, 1/8 crit) without mods, 3/4 of a hit with focus, 3/4 of a hit with target lock (3/16 of a crit and 9/16 of a regular hit), 15/16 of a hit with both. (5/32 of a crit and 25/32 of a regular hit)

Juke is both more complicated and more simple - it's easy to see under what conditions it takes effect, but the actual likelihood of them depends on what you're firing at, whether your opponent will want to spend the focus on something else, &c

Nah thats perfect I'm one of those players who just pushes arc/distance mods all the time since im never 100% sure if its worth going for them or a focus. Thanks!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

kingcom posted:

Nah thats perfect I'm one of those players who just pushes arc/distance mods all the time since im never 100% sure if its worth going for them or a focus. Thanks!

No problem, here's a more qualitative way of putting it:

Juke wins if they can't focus, unless you are already rolling 5 or more red dice, or they have very low evade (think 1 unmodified dice, maybe 2 if you are at like 4 red dice)

Then:

If you don't already have any modifiers, choose a red dice if you're currently rolling 1-2 dice, or TL/Focus if you're rolling 3 or more

If you already have one of target lock/focus, choose a red dice if you're currently rolling 1-3 dice, or TL/Focus if you're rolling 4 or more

Between target lock and focus, TL is a bit better on the attack because some of the extra hits it gives you are crits.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Between target lock and focus, TL is a bit better on the attack because some of the extra hits it gives you are crits.

But keep in mind, target lock is only better if you know who you're going to be shooting. Low PS pilots may find that the guy they locked is no longer in arc.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Getting further into qualitative observations, focus might be better if you have multiple potential targets and are activating early enough you don't know what the board state is going to be like during the combat phase, since it can be spent to enhance dice regardless of target, and it's also of course spendable on defense to ensure you even get the opportunity to fire.

However TL also has a benefit in terms of action economy, so TL generally comes out even further ahead.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

But keep in mind, target lock is only better if you know who you're going to be shooting. Low PS pilots may find that the guy they locked is no longer in arc.

Right, I'm talking about the simplest possible situation (you've got the shot, you can choose between those 4 things, what maximises your damage) to illustrate roughly what each of those do. Focus is also better because it gives you the option of using it on defence instead, and target lock is better because if it's not useful on your roll it sticks around, and taking the evade for juke is better because you can use the evade after juking, and so on

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

No problem, here's a more qualitative way of putting it:

Juke wins if they can't focus, unless you are already rolling 5 or more red dice, or they have very low evade (think 1 unmodified dice, maybe 2 if you are at like 4 red dice)

Then:

If you don't already have any modifiers, choose a red dice if you're currently rolling 1-2 dice, or TL/Focus if you're rolling 3 or more

If you already have one of target lock/focus, choose a red dice if you're currently rolling 1-3 dice, or TL/Focus if you're rolling 4 or more

Yeah I'm thinking this is a purely 'high PS, last ship to go' situation so I'm free to optimise my shot kind of situation. So this is super handy to have laid out.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Otisburg posted:

Permission Blue Squadron, AKA "I can't do what?"

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Zertik Strom (26)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Sensor Jammer (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Carnor Jax (26)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 97

This list should clearly be called 'Lock Blocked.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Permission Blue Squadron, AKA "I can't do what?"

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Zertik Strom (26)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Sensor Jammer (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Carnor Jax (26)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 97

Too bad the list doesnt block people from play SWAT.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
League tonight was a mixed bag - won all my games, but none of them counted toward the league because of a variety of factors. Ran POW since we're still practicing that list, and I still have to write on the back of my hand:
KALLUS
DECLOAK
CLOAK
FCS
FOCUS

Ran against a Black Crack swarm with Vader and we 100-16'd it (he half-killed the shuttle and got tabled otherwise, shoutouts to Brunas), but I think POW is a nightmare matchup for mini-swarm + ace; OLeader shuts the ace off against him, tackles him where possible, space cow mucks up the board, Whisper eats the swarm, shake hands and collect your winnings. Also flew a mirror match (literally exactly mirrored) and lost the bid, then promptly won on turn 2 before a scoop; then played a Whisper of OZ list (Whisper with Sensor Jammer and Rebel Captive, OLeader with normal loadout + a Stealth Device, Zeta Leader with some stuff) and tabled it 100-0.

The lack of TLTs in our meta means the pancakes aren't kept honest, so I'm foreseeing some Fat Hans coming up that should theoretically pose a problem, but I think we can win that matchup and gently caress it, the league prizes are the same for the Feb/March league anyway.

The downside to having gone 4-0 last month is that people in the league seem to be ducking me intentionally. One guy made sure to play back-to-back games against people who weren't me, the ~girlfriend~ declined my game to play against someone else since she "doesn't want to lose yet," and the guy who mirror-matched me was feeling mentally fatigued and wanted to take-backsies on the agreement that it was a league game and instead count it casually. Like, I'm not against that - I watched his last match and it was grueling, like a three-hour affair - but it's just frustrating to now be coming up on Week 3 of the league having played, officially, one match. Oh well. I think POW gets there this month, we'll see.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Got my Interceptor today!

Soontir Fel w/ PTL 30 pts
Omega Leader w/ Wired 22pts
Carnor Jax w/ PTL 29 pts
Alpha Squadron Pilot 18 pts

99/100 total.

Ok for babby's first list?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Turkson posted:

Carnor Jax w/ PTL 29 pts

99/100 total.

Omega Leader wants Juke and Comm Relay. Period. End of story. He even comes with them!

PTL is standard on interceptors, but you usually also put some modifications on them. With the Royal Guard title from Imperial Aces, you can have two modifications. The most common are Stealth Device, Autothrusters, and Targeting Computer, with the first two being the most common.

What do you actually have on hand?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Turkson posted:

Carnor Jax w/ PTL 29 pts

99/100 total.

Omega Leader, as said, is Juke and Comm Relay. They come in the same package as him, and they do everything he ever wants (outside of like, Engine Upgrade, but that's more points than you want to spend on him for not a ton of payoff). I would drop the Alpha Squadron for Upgrades on your Interceptors--if you have Carnor Jax you have Royal Guard TIE--even if you had no other sets, that could be a shield each and some other minor upgrade.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I feel like a low PS interceptor is not very survivable either, because the interceptors very much want to not be shot at and at a low pilot skill, there is zero opportunity for re-positioning.
Based on your post history, and what I think you have, this is what I'd roll.

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)

Carnor Jax (26)
Push the Limit (3)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Omega Leader wants Juke and Comm Relay. Period. End of story. He even comes with them!

PTL is standard on interceptors, but you usually also put some modifications on them. With the Royal Guard title from Imperial Aces, you can have two modifications. The most common are Stealth Device, Autothrusters, and Targeting Computer, with the first two being the most common.

What do you actually have on hand?

I have the TFA starter, Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, TIE f/o, and TIE Interceptor.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zeta Leader with Wired is another economical /fo mini-ace. On paper he seems to be not quite on par with Omega, but there's a guy in our local meta who just routinely humiliates me with Vader/Zeta/Whisper. He made the top four in our store champs with it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
With three Interceptors, three FOs and not a lot of upgrades, there's only so much you can do, but I kind of like this:

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Push the Limit (3)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

With three Interceptors, three FOs and not a lot of upgrades, there's only so much you can do, but I kind of like this:

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Push the Limit (3)

Yeah that's not bad at all given what he's got to work with!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So I really want to run Tarn Misonwith an r7 an IA just to annoy my opponents. Would he be good with Wes wedge combo?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Can you elaborate on the maths behind 0.6 and 1.66? Is that per shot against the stealthed up ship?

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I'm still waiting for my Core set from Amazon to arrive to play my first game, but I've got a bunch of questions about the game!

1. Why is everyone competing on the Pilot Skill arms race? Is it not viable to forego PS totally? (maybe just enough to beat those low PS swarms?) Does Pilot Skill matter so much when moves are done simultaneously, or is it really good only for those bonus actions and stuff that you can do after looking at someone do their move?

2. How important is the initiative bid? Will I be severely gimped for not bidding on it at all, or is the gain of a few points sometimes worth it?

3. Is Lone Wolf any good? I'm new but it looks like it's a very good ability to me, but how hard is it to be out of range 2 of any of your ships? Are there popular / good lists that make great use of Lone Wolf? Multiple Lone Wolves, perhaps? (since being able to trigger one Lone Wolf means that the other ship would be able to trigger it too!)

4. How difficult is it to play X-Wing IRL? I've never actually played miniatures games so I'm afraid I'll be clumsy af.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I'm still waiting for my Core set from Amazon to arrive to play my first game, but I've got a bunch of questions about the game!

1. Why is everyone competing on the Pilot Skill arms race? Is it not viable to forego PS totally? (maybe just enough to beat those low PS swarms?) Does Pilot Skill matter so much when moves are done simultaneously, or is it really good only for those bonus actions and stuff that you can do after looking at someone do their move?
The last part is correct, but the priorities change according to what you are flying. So for high PS Arc-Dodgers, you want to have the highest PS possible, because like you said, you want to be able to do post-maneuver re-positioning and this is easier if you already know where the enemy is. Usually the sweet spot is PS 9, since that's where a lot of Arc Dodgers end up (Soontir, Whisper, Vader without VI etc). For low PS, usually you want the cheapest option available, so PS1-2 dominates, but PS3-4 becomes important because it allows you to avoid the double dice re-roll from being shot at by Predator. The middle PSes aren't really worth that much apart from their pilot abilities/access to EPT.

quote:

2. How important is the initiative bid? Will I be severely gimped for not bidding on it at all, or is the gain of a few points sometimes worth it?
It depends on what list you build. If you have a lot of high PS arc-dodgers, you want to have an initiative bid so that if your PS 9+ pilots get matched in terms of PS, you have the choice to let your opponent have initiative, which makes him move his units first and thus makes it easier for you to arc-dodge. If you are running swarms/don't care about arc-dodging, it isn't as important.

quote:

3. Is Lone Wolf any good? I'm new but it looks like it's a very good ability to me, but how hard is it to be out of range 2 of any of your ships? Are there popular / good lists that make great use of Lone Wolf? Multiple Lone Wolves, perhaps? (since being able to trigger one Lone Wolf means that the other ship would be able to trigger it too!)
Lone Wolf is a limited card (as shown by the dot next to the name), you can only have one of them in your list. Lone Wolf is an excellent card that sees a lot of use in 2 ship builds: usually any more than that and it is hard to keep your list separated enough to make use of it.

quote:

4. How difficult is it to play X-Wing IRL? I've never actually played miniatures games so I'm afraid I'll be clumsy af.
I'm pretty clumsy myself and I get by alright. You need to be careful how you move your hands and it is fiddly at points, but people don't get up on your grill about bumping models unless it is a tournament/you are obviously doing it to get yourself an advantage.

EDIT: Also, one of the interesting things about PS is that when the game first launched, low PS was seen as better than high PS. This was mostly due to the fact that high PS would get bumped from the low PS ships moving first, and the X-Wing didn't have any maneuvering options (boost/barrel roll), so having high PS was actually a disadvantage. This has somewhat changed with the release of high PS arc-dodgers, which changed the meta to what it currently is.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 10, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

League tonight was a mixed bag - won all my games, but none of them counted toward the league because of a variety of factors. Ran POW since we're still practicing that list, and I still have to write on the back of my hand:
KALLUS

Forget if I mentioned the 2nd place guy in our store champs forgot to Kallus in BOTH elimination rounds. Hated to rule against him, but until/unless they clarify that there's some kind of random/opponent selection or other solution that still gets you Kallus' ability, it's pretty clearly a missed opportunity. Other, more experienced event judge present agreed.

So yeah, writing on your hand is smart and good.

E: Another consideration about high PS, even if you're not an arc dodger your perform action step will be somewhat contingent on what you think the board state will be like going into the combat phase. Activating later means making that choice with more information on the developing board state. No shots? Turtle up and brace for impact. Peach of a shot? Lock, and focus if you can do that too. Also should go without saying that it's better to shoot first. :v:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 10, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

It depends on what list you build. If you have a lot of high PS arc-dodgers, you want to have an initiative bid so that if your PS 9+ pilots get matched in terms of PS, you have the choice to let your opponent have initiative, which makes him move his units first and thus makes it easier for you to arc-dodge. If you are running swarms/don't care about arc-dodging, it isn't as important.

Speaking of which, are there many PS 9 "anti Arc Dodgers" pilots? Most of the guys I see on lists around here are either PS 10 (Poe+VI) or PS 7-8 without VI. If that's the case, the initiative bid seems less important with Whisper, Vader or Soontir, which are my go to Arc Dodgers.

Otisburg posted:

So yeah, writing on your hand is smart and good.

Related: Can you use cheat sheets with ship movement in stores or tournaments? Everything besides "the B-Wing flies like a rock" is beyond me ATM.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 10, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, most of the time focus and target lock are equivalent in terms of damage, so you might as well focus. It only makes a difference if you target lock and manage to score 3 hits without using the target lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, are there many PS 9 "anti Arc Dodgers" pilots? Most of the guys I see on lists around here are either PS 10 (Poe+VI) or PS 7-8 without VI. If that's the case, the initiative bid seems less important with Whisper, Vader or Soontir, which are my go to Arc Dodgers.
Other arc-dodgers. If you face a semi mirror match, you want the edge that the initiative bid gives you. It's massively important.

• Locked thread