Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I wish I could get legally baked already

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Have you considered just overeating instead?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

jm20 posted:

Having a strong Russia is beneficial to the stability of the world. Their perceived threat from NATO encroachment is legitimate, and they also have the right to a 'sphere of influence' just as much as the US or any other major player. Isolating them is a bad strategy if you want stability and peace. You don't need to watch RT or Fox News to come to these conclusions.

Will our involvement in this 'coalition of the righteous' achieve lasting peace at the end of our mission? No

Are there any assurances the forces we train will not engage in unnecessary violence to other parties in the region? No

Are the six CF-18s making any impact on the ground in the big picture? No

Let's double down on this effort clearly. While we are at it let's send in the Sea Kings and a bunch more ships if we even have any that have not broken their welds by now.

Ah the old Sophistic "Russia is just as bad as the USA/NATO!" argument that gets trotted out by RT News and other Russian state propaganda. Such an odd marriage between leftists and RT News, considering the Russian state is one of the worst and egregious examples of a literal police state (lol meanwhile Snowden lobbing softballs at Putin during a TV interview). Yes, surely Russian aggression into multiple sovereign countries is "beneficial" the the stability of the world, we already have one superpower that does it so it logically follows why not have multiple?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Newfie posted:

A great little capsule on an issue in the Ghomeshi trial on communications between complainants from a great criminal professor at UofA http://petersankoff.com/2016/02/09/ten-minutes-on-the-ghomeshi-trial-communication-between-witnesses/

this was really cool, thanks for the link

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

peter banana posted:

How urgent are these abandoned well situations? Is this the kind of thing that will come back to bite us if not taken care of like that methane leak in California?

ive never come across anything remotely that bad though there are leaking wells. the AER has identified hundreds of wells deemed worthy to be re-abandoned though the are a lot of problems from terrible drilling reports from the 50s where they straight up lie about depth drilled, length of casing put in, type of casing, sometimes even if a well is vertical or directional. Even up till about 10 years ago, you didn't have to cement all exposed formations, you only had to cement certain formations deemed porous/oil/gas zones and separate formations from each other, leaving gaps of cement which never made sense to me best I could figure it was to save costs on cement. I mean it's absolutely possible a well drilled on the same location and fracked could compromise that other well bore.

Though I'm surprised you don't hear more about ground water being compromised with the lovely abandonment processes in the past

not just re abandonments there are a lot of orphan wells that have no owners and need to be abandoned for the first time

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 10, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/national/legalizing+marijuana+priority+liberals+judging+justice/11708520/story.html

quote:

Don’t hold your breath for the legalization of marijuana to happen any time soon. The 415-page briefing book prepared for Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould has the Liberal campaign pot pledge on page 410.

Obtained under access to information laws, the heavily-redacted briefing lays out priorities for Wilson-Raybould’s first 100 days in office.

Beyond an overview of the 5,000-employee department and her basic ministerial responsibilities, there are mundane background notes on several national and international meetings she is expected to attend, a primer on appointments and vacancies she will need to fill, departmental and financial administration items and talking points (redacted) for a courtesy call with U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch.

Meatier issues start on page 366.

There’s a note explaining how she will be asked to sign a three-year pact with the provinces and territories for the federally-led Aboriginal Justice Strategy, supporting community alternatives to the mainstream justice system.

Then come details about the federal response to the interim report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

Marijuana is the last item, contained in a three-page note, one-third of which is redacted.

What remains simply repeats last fall’s campaign pledge to legalize simple possession of recreational marijuana and regulate its sale, and informs Wilson-Raybould of the status of court cases related to home-grown medical marijuana and the responsibilities various other federal departments have for the issue.

oh no u guys :(

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Haha. Canada will never legalize weed without permission. The only way that's changing is if the marijuana lobby has more money and patronage with the liberal party than big pharma and alcohol.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
they have canpol superstar frank's happy place tho

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A relatively unimportant issue relegated to the back pages of a briefing book? Well I never.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Cultural Imperial posted:

they have canpol superstar frank's happy place tho

You post in this thread more often than literally anyone except PT6A. I think we've found the real super star. Or perhaps Stupor Star would be more accurate in your case.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

You post in this thread more often than literally anyone except PT6A. I think we've found the real super star. Or perhaps Stupor Star would be more accurate in your case.

This place would be boring as hell without him and PT6A constantly at each others throats. Every now and then it even sparks an actual good discussion too!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Hey, B.C. had a Throne Speech today!

Highlights:

- will do something Real Soon Now about the Vancouver real estate market.
- will do something Real Soon Now about the ethically challenged practice of "shadow flipping" in the aforementioned Vancouver market. (So far, they're letting the realtors' association investigate itself.)
- LNG won't be happening Real Soon Now, so we're going to become a Renewable Energy Superpower instead!
- Alberta needs to get its poo poo together and shut down its coal plants, switching to either LNG or hydro (BC, one assumes?). :wtc:
- government will stop making GBS threads on civil servants long enough to negotiate a contract with the nurses and maybe hire more social workers for children at risk.
- the California situation shows that we need to be more concerned with our food supply, so the government will be instituting a "Grow It At Home" program to encourage WWII Victory Gardens, or some loving thing. Flooding of arable land in the Peace River and condo development on the Fraser River flood plain will continue as scheduled.

So far, Grow It At Home sounds the most promising. :420:

drat, I hate listening to Christy Clark - she babbles on like a Talk Radio host...

... oh, yeah. :saddowns:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Hexigrammus posted:

Hey, B.C. had a Throne Speech today!

Highlights:

- will do something Real Soon Now about the Vancouver real estate market.

As noted in the debt thread, the "something" turned out to be "blame the city of Vancouver and do nothing otherwise".

Also they probably won't get that nurses' contract done anytime soon, nobody's in a real hurry to strike and while they'll probably have to give retro pay eventually, in the meantime it's not counting against their budget. I imagine the nurses' union would rather wait until the election for maximum leverage.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Helsing posted:

I think this is kink shaming

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My ears are burning!

I read this article about taxi drivers and protesting and Quebec and I'm already filled with rage at 7AM.

http://cbc.ca/1.3441533

Is it wrong that I hope they get hosed over hard as a result of doing a pig ignorant thing on federal property? Arrest them and then crush all their cars into cubes, IMO.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Taxi unions seem to have an uncanny knack for knowing precisely how not to get people on their side. It's a total dick move and a fictional town run by me would be calling in tow trucks from neighbouring jurisdictions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Taxi unions seem to have an uncanny knack for knowing precisely how not to get people on their side. It's a total dick move and a fictional town run by me would be calling in tow trucks from neighbouring jurisdictions.

I think part of the problem is that they don't understand just how much people already hate them. They're trying to draw attention to how they're getting hosed over by Uber, and they totally are in a lot of ways, but ultimately that's not going to do anything, because if the public is anything like me, seeing taxi companies and taxi drivers get hosed into the ground is the best part of supporting Uber.

If I didn't have a seething hatred of taxis, I would be very concerned about the multiple negative aspects of Uber, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Puke

In TOTALLY UNRELATED AND JUST A COINCIDENCE NEWS,

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/02/08/wynne-denies-ad-campaign-promoting-ontario-pension-plan-was-stealth-electioneering.html

quote:

Premier Kathleen Wynne is defending almost $600,000 spent on Ontario Retirement Pension Plan ads during last year’s federal election as a coincidence.

http://www.taxpayer.com/news-releases/ontario-government-spent--600,000-advertising-orpp-during-federal-election

quote:

Ontario’s Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk said during the election that had the Wynne government not recently limited her powers that: “We would have suggested that perhaps the timing of running the ad could be construed as partisan.”

You chucklefucks in the debt thread saying that BC has the worst provincial government are wrong in my opinion.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The cabbie I understand. He's got to work long, lovely hours so the people who own his plate and his car and his radio can all get paid, anything he has to do to meet the buckets of regulations comes out of his own pocket, and once he's jumped through all of those hoops some schmuck with a four-door and a cell phone swoops in and eats his lunch in a way that's quite illegal while the city does basically nothing about it? I'd be killdozer-mad about that. It's the union I don't get: Telling the membership that this is the thing they must do to have their problem solved is nonsensical in the extreme, and yeah it definitely shows that the union has no idea why they're getting their asses handed to them in the first place. We hate what the taxi industry has had to become to survive, and we don't want to be a part of that anymore.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

flakeloaf posted:

The cabbie I understand. He's got to work long, lovely hours so the people who own his plate and his car and his radio can all get paid, anything he has to do to meet the buckets of regulations comes out of his own pocket, and once he's jumped through all of those hoops some schmuck with a four-door and a cell phone swoops in and eats his lunch in a way that's quite illegal while the city does basically nothing about it? I'd be killdozer-mad about that. It's the union I don't get: Telling the membership that this is the thing they must do to have their problem solved is nonsensical in the extreme, and yeah it definitely shows that the union has no idea why they're getting their asses handed to them in the first place. We hate what the taxi industry has had to become to survive, and we don't want to be a part of that anymore.

In summary:

The Taxi Industry is the way it is because of the way we have regulated it

Uber is the way it is because of the way they skirt those regulations

The answer to improving the situation is to overhaul the regulations and put everyone under the same umbrella, but city councilers are children who stamp their feet and cry when anyone criticizes their idiotic policies.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That, and there might be a little bit of the "If that's the way you're going to ask me then I'm going to say no regardless of what you want, young man" in there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

In summary:

The Taxi Industry is the way it is because of the way we have regulated it

Uber is the way it is because of the way they skirt those regulations

The answer to improving the situation is to overhaul the regulations and put everyone under the same umbrella, but city councilers are children who stamp their feet and cry when anyone criticizes their idiotic policies.

Don't forget that, in a lot of cases, these regulations were actively lobbied for by taxi companies themselves! Now they're bitching that the regulations are harming them. They should be promptly told to go gently caress themselves.

They still have a monopoly on street-hails, and they have special privileges at airports, hotels, and they often have preferential parking all over the place.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Melian Dialogue posted:

Ah the old Sophistic "Russia is just as bad as the USA/NATO!" argument that gets trotted out by RT News and other Russian state propaganda. Such an odd marriage between leftists and RT News, considering the Russian state is one of the worst and egregious examples of a literal police state (lol meanwhile Snowden lobbing softballs at Putin during a TV interview). Yes, surely Russian aggression into multiple sovereign countries is "beneficial" the the stability of the world, we already have one superpower that does it so it logically follows why not have multiple?

What is with you and trying to argue that people that disagree with your narrow view point are leftist RT watching propagandists? If you want to throw the word stability around, look at how stable the Middle East after decades of American intervention. Keep in mind it was basically Russia that helped Obama get out of his red line mess with Syria otherwise the right would've pushed him into another regime change in the Middle East. Given your hawkish attitude on our military's potential role I would not hesitate to say you would welcome a large scale military intervention to 'Bomb ISIS in Agrabah :freep:' Given that we, western civilization, have been fighting AQ and killed Osama why do you suppose they still exist? It's because we cannot solely defeat these insurgencies with military might and must address the root problem that feeds these groups. American intervention in the Middle East in a variety of capacities has done no favours in this regard and needs to stop.

I'm not so much defending Russia but rather explaining that your American exceptionalism trumpeting is both false and part of the problem. Ignoring Russia's obvious farce of a political system and blatant propaganda they pass off as news, they are an essential part of world stability regardless of their self interested incursions into neighbouring states. Even Kissinger has warmed recently to Russia's role in world foreign policy :psyduck:

edit: I have also warmed to Dion as MFA, he is doing a good job articulating Canada's direction and I agree with it in some respects.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 10, 2016

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Hey if its good enough for war criminals, its good enough for me

e: still lolling at "Kissinger warms to cluster bombing civilians"

more like dICK fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 10, 2016

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

jm20 posted:

Keep in mind it was basically Russia that helped Obama get out of his red line mess with Syria otherwise the right would've pushed him into another regime change in the Middle East.

People who idolize Russia have a tendency of infantilizing the states around them. It's all about how Russia needs a buffer, it's never about what the democratically elected governments in Ukraine or Georgia aspire to. Russia has role to play in global stability, but this poo poo where you handwave away all the terrible destabilizing stuff they have done under Putin is loving insane. Russia hasn't been forced into anything, everything they have done has been purely self-interested. Trying to blame that on the west is loving stupid.

As for this gem, maybe regime change isn't a bad thing when we're talking about Assad. But whatever, you'll probably give him a pass for all the things he has done because of "stability" or "the west."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This is getting off topic, go to the Middle East thread and fantasize about US intervention in Syria being positive for the region as a whole.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Turning back to Ghomeshichat for a second: Witness #34 is Sarah Dunsworth, who was also a TPB character and a good friend of DeCoutere. Should that blunt the accusation of collusion a little bit? They'd been friends and colleagues for years, so thousands of texts between them isn't really that unusual. But, on the other hand, if you went out with a guy and he choked & beat you, and then your good friend also went out with him, wouldn't this come up in conversation before she also had a chance to be abused?

It's all really confusing and he's probably not even going to jail :(

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 10, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Turning back to Ghomeshichat for a second: Witness #3 is Sarah Dunsworth, who was also a TPB character and a good friend of DeCoutere. Should that blunt the accusation of collusion a little bit? They'd been friends and colleagues for years, so thousands of texts between them isn't really that unusual. But, on the other hand, if you went out with a guy and he choked & beat you, and then your good friend also went out with him, wouldn't this come up in conversation before she also had a chance to be abused?

It's all really confusing and he's probably not even going to jail :(

Dude, publication ban. Oh nm, you mean 4th witness. Hope they call Ricky next. Also, different people, Sarah isn't the witness she had 5,000 text messages with.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ikantski posted:

Dude, publication ban. Oh nm, you mean 4th witness. Hope they call Ricky next.

If he can't smoke and swear, he's hosed.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

If he can't smoke and swear, he's hosed.

I'd love that, he could finish his testimony by telling us this whole loving thing is an elaborate promo, season 10 is starting April 20th on CBC with season guess star Jian Ghomeshi where the gang starts a hip radio show that is a front for selling weed while trying to stop Trudeau from legalizing dope and hurting their business.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^That would be totally worth it.

Ikantski posted:

Oh nm, you mean 4th witness. Hope they call Ricky next. Also, different people, Sarah isn't the witness she had 5,000 text messages with.

Bleh, whoops. I think I'm medically incapable of getting anything right about this trial.

e: if #3 is Jeanna Harrison I'm going to puke forever.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 10, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

flakeloaf posted:

I think I'm medically incapable of getting anything right about this trial.

Don't feel bad, aside from Henein, no one has.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Hey, here's a story about the NDPs internal review

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/9196632

quote:

"Our balanced budget pledge was, in part, responsible for presenting us as cautious change," Blaikie's note said.

Cautious or stupid?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

brucio posted:

Hey, here's a story about the NDPs internal review

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/9196632

Cautious or stupid?

why_not_both.gif

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/as-politicians-gloat-about-climate-leadership-saudi-arabias-oil-is-dumped-in-canada

quote:

As federal and provincial politicians pat themselves on the back for their climate change ‘leadership,’ and pipeline opponents gloat about stalling construction of new Canadian pipelines, tanker-loads of foreign oil are delivered regularly to Eastern Canadian refineries, including increasing volumes from Saudi Arabia.

That’s right. Saudia Arabia, the oil-rich kingdom that is waging a brutal price war to shore up its market share and devastating Canada’s oil and gas sector in the process, dumped an average of 84,017 barrels a day of its cheap oil in New Brunswick’s Irving Oil Ltd. refinery in 2015, according to data compiled by the National Energy Board (NEB). That’s up from 63,046 b/d on average in 2012.

Overall, refiners in Quebec, Ontario, Newfoundland and New Brunswick imported about 650,000 barrels a day from foreign producers in 2015. In addition to Saudi Arabia, the oil came from the United States, Algeria, Angola, Nigeria, because there is insufficient pipeline capacity to import it from Western Canada, which produces far more oil than it needs.

:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

Where is the political outrage ... [towards] rogue nations with inferior environmental records and deplorable behaviours toward women, dissidents and minorities?

Godfrey is now slandering Albertans :vince:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
:vince:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maybe Alberta should make more refineries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

"well, i'd love to buy all that alberta oil at $50 a barrel, but there's no pipeline capacity so we had to go with $30 saudi oil"